Options

Microsoft announces coffee table

1235»

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If anything else it would be a freaking awesome art stylus.

Using multi touch for quick selection, rotation and scaling would beat the hell out of a mouse. Add that to Z-Brush as well as Photoshop CS3 and you've got one hell of a tool.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    snip

Sadly, most of us will probably dead or so old that we will be illiterate in this technology.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    snip

Sadly, most of us will probably dead or so old that we will be illiterate in this technology.

I'm sure there will be an old person mode where flailing helplessly against the device makes it crop photos of grandchildren.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The interface reminds me of the iPhone presentation. The coffee table sounds like a great idea and very convenient though I wonder how much it will cost? The only annoying thing I could imagine with it is if its turned on in a dark living room while watching a movie.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The interface reminds me of the iPhone presentation. The coffee table sounds like a great idea and very convenient though I wonder how much it will cost? The only annoying thing I could imagine with it is if its turned on in a dark living room while watching a movie.

Dimming options ala laptops? If you used it as your remote control/DVD player you could have it dim itself while the movie is playing so it doesn't blind you if you get a phone call.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    though I wonder how much it will cost?
    $5-10K, probably depending on pre-order interest and exact specifications.
    This isn't a proof of concept future-future-tech, this is a demonstration of a working prototype that will go into production allegedly by the end of the year (probably financial year though, given that it's Microsoft). With a bit of luck it'll be down to $1000 by the end of fy2008/9 and I'll get to muck about with one in my local Starbucks'. Unless Apple does come up with the iTable, in which case I will play with the one in my nearest Apple store instead....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    This isn't a proof of concept future-future-tech, this is a demonstration of a working prototype that will go into production allegedly by the end of the year (probably financial year though, given that it's Microsoft). With a bit of luck it'll be down to $1000 by the end of fy2008/9 and I'll get to muck about with one in my local Starbucks'. Unless Apple does come up with the iTable, in which case I will play with the one in my nearest Apple store instead....

It's quite likely that Microsoft patented the hell out of this and will prevent any knock offs a-la I-pod wheel.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Multitouch has been the interface heir-apparent to the mouse/keyboard/remote/etc. for a while now. You've had this idea percolating for two decades before a practical implementation was developed. I think it's still way too early for the digital home as often talked about by Bill Gates, but we're seeing the opening volley with Jeff Han's demos, Microsoft's Surface and the iPhone. Costs still need to come down big time, RFID and/or integrated bar codes need on devices needs to become more widespread and smaller devices (smartphones) need to find some kind of force-feedback (small electromagnetic buzz when a key is pressed?) mechanism before multitouch starts replacing regular computer and gadget interfaces.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

It's quite likely that Microsoft patented the hell out of this and will prevent any knock offs a-la I-pod wheel.

Apple already have this tech in the iPhone, so it must be using a different way to do things.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Apple already have this tech in the iPhone, so it must be using a different way to do things.

Remember it's not Multitouch it's Surface

Yes you can use two fingers, but it won't do any of the other fun stuff like read you ID cards or detect your other devices when placed on the surface, or allow you to interact using brushes or anything other then your finger or stylus.

So it's a lot like comparing the i-Pod to this thing

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I work next to the production company that shot the promo video for this thing (the one on their website). The PA says that video is all real undoctored etc. Unfortunately I wouldn't have been able to get in there to play with the thing. But from what I saw this looks insanely cool. I just hope that I'll be able to drop stuff on it and not have it break etc. I mean I hope it is at least as tough as a regular coffee table.

Boot2TheHead on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I worry about that too. Especialy coffee stains. But I figure there are a lot of high end plastics that don't scratch or stain out already (like what ever the hell Mac mice use to be made out of) that won't have problems with breaking or scratching.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

So it's a lot like comparing the i-Pod to this thing

I'm loving this review. :lol:

rayofash on
  • Options
    Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When he took the picture out of the camera and put into the cell phone, I burst into laughter because that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen done with a computer. I would like to own one, but I can't see how it would be practical for me.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Combo this with future aspects of OBHI (Oxygen Based Holographic Interface) technology and you're going to start seeing a whole new world.

What is Oxygen Based Holographic Interface?

Brian888 on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There was a discussion about how big the screens could be, and it reminded me of what is in the lobby of a few theaters I have been to.

A rather large floormat that is also a screen. From memory the floor pad was about 6 feet x 8 feet and had a series of little demo things on top of advertisements.

There was one with cars running around the outside and you could stomp on them and make them spin out of control, and another with a piano keyboard at the bottom, one where you could make ripples in the image by stepping on it, etc... I don't know the tech they were using if it was pressure sensitive or if they were using cameras, but it definately allowed many people to be stomping on it at once. All kids, and most men that passed it could not walk past it without stepping on something. Only a few women were interested in it, and most of those were with men who were already playing with it.

I think the women WERE interested, but were more concerned about looking like an idiot stomping on this thing, while the men instantly regressed momentarily to 5 year olds. I know I found it amusing.

I didn't get a chance to see how accurate it really was at detecting where the input was. It could have just been a grid of relatively few pressure sensors.

Smudge on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    There was a discussion about how big the screens could be, and it reminded me of what is in the lobby of a few theaters I have been to.

A rather large floormat that is also a screen. From memory the floor pad was about 6 feet x 8 feet and had a series of little demo things on top of advertisements.

There was one with cars running around the outside and you could stomp on them and make them spin out of control, and another with a piano keyboard at the bottom, one where you could make ripples in the image by stepping on it, etc... I don't know the tech they were using if it was pressure sensitive or if they were using cameras, but it definately allowed many people to be stomping on it at once. All kids, and most men that passed it could not walk past it without stepping on something. Only a few women were interested in it, and most of those were with men who were already playing with it.

I think the women WERE interested, but were more concerned about looking like an idiot stomping on this thing, while the men instantly regressed momentarily to 5 year olds. I know I found it amusing.

I didn't get a chance to see how accurate it really was at detecting where the input was. It could have just been a grid of relatively few pressure sensors.

I saw one of those and hated it, because all it was showing was ads. I think I see enough ads without them being projected onto the damn floor now.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I saw one of those and hated it, because all it was showing was ads. I think I see enough ads without them being projected onto the damn floor now.

Major grocery stores already do that.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Major grocery stores already do that.

That doesn't make me hate it less.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Smudge: Reminds me of the floor Nintendo had in their Zelda booth at E3 2005:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6185946983584477029&q=zelda+e3+floor

Recoil42 on