Options

[Dyson Sphere Program] Factorio + Supreme Commander + Crack

1111213141517»

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    This has been much more enjoyable to mess around on than satisfactory. And I think playing satisfactory initially made me design things poorly because I thought I needed splitters to make any line branch off to multiple factories. The sorters are amazing once I figured out things weren't setup like satisfactory.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I was feeling bored and gave DSP a new try on Sunday.

It seems they just added in another faction / combat last week, which seems to be a bit of a nuisance but so far isn't really much of a challenge. Just a couple times an hour some easily killable things show up and wreck a few buildings until you kill them off. It's not quite clear what direction they are attacking from, and I'm not sure this is a great addition but it's still pretty early with a new feature.

My current run I'm right on the cusp of interplanetary logistics to get silicon and titanium back to my main planet. This game definitely strikes a nice middle ground between vanilla Factorio and Satisfactory. Maybe this will be the run where I actually get a sphere built.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    if you click the red dot that shows up it puts a big red line toward the enemies which helps.

i def wouldn’t say i’ve enjoyed the combat system as of yet, but i’m still on planet 1 as well so we’ll see

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There are quite a few difficulty/aggressiveness settings for the Dark Fog, including just turning it off. Annoying that it's on game start though.

One early tip is to build plenty of missile turrets to defend your stuff. Missiles have unlimited range. If you place a powered Signal Tower within range of a Dark Fog base, missile turrets anywhere on the planet will be able to attack it and can wipe it out in seconds. Just make sure to turn off the High Atmosphere and Space settings on the turret so they don't attack the floating part of the base. Attacking that part will add threat to their space fleet and they will launch devastating orbital bombardments against you. They don't care so much that you've destroyed their ground forces.

One other nice thing they added was drone distributors to storage boxes. By adding one, you can have drones automatically deliver items in the box directly to Icarus. For example to keep you stocked up on belts at all times without you having to manually track down the box yourself. They can also be set to deliver items to another box, making them an intermediary step on the way to planetary logistics stations. Range is pretty limited to start though.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    There are quite a few difficulty/aggressiveness settings for the Dark Fog, including just turning it off. Annoying that it's on game start though.

One early tip is to build plenty of missile turrets to defend your stuff. Missiles have unlimited range. If you place a powered Signal Tower within range of a Dark Fog base, missile turrets anywhere on the planet will be able to attack it and can wipe it out in seconds. Just make sure to turn off the High Atmosphere and Space settings on the turret so they don't attack the floating part of the base. Attacking that part will add threat to their space fleet and they will launch devastating orbital bombardments against you. They don't care so much that you've destroyed their ground forces.

One other nice thing they added was drone distributors to storage boxes. By adding one, you can have drones automatically deliver items in the box directly to Icarus. For example to keep you stocked up on belts at all times without you having to manually track down the box yourself. They can also be set to deliver items to another box, making them an intermediary step on the way to planetary logistics stations. Range is pretty limited to start though.

Yeah, I slept on the missile turrets and signal towers for a while because they're REALLY poorly explained in-game. The tooltip says something about signal towers increasing the missile turret's range, which is completely not true because as you said, the actual range of the missile turrets it massive and doesn't change. What the signal towers actually do is share LOS with the missile turrets, allowing them to fire on anything the signal tower can see, which is absolutely huge. Because you can easily keep some missile turrets, signal towers, charged accumulators and a stash of missiles in your pocket for a portable missile barrage of doom which will take care of pretty much any ground-based threat, and a lot of space-based ones too. In fact according to the subreddit, missile turrets don't even need to be on the same celestial body.

47g6a1a1j7f8.png

Yes that's right, you can in fact hit something on a moon orbiting the planet you're on, with missiles, and vice-versa. This has been confirmed to be intended behavior and not a bug.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Dark Fog. I think I mostly like them? I guess the devs were in a difficult position; so far their game has been fairly successful as a chill building sim with no combat, which they're now introducing combat to. The consensus seems to be that they're mostly not really a threat unless you provoke them in space, and trivially easy to kick off a planet. The thing is if you do that, they'll just rebuild on another planet, possibly in a more inconvenient spot. So it can be helpful to deliberately let them hang out on certain planets that you know can handle their raids while keeping others as "No Dark Fog Allowed" zones.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Was this on discount during the Steam Winter Sale? Been getting the itch to try it out and $20 isn't a bad price.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Was this on discount during the Steam Winter Sale? Been getting the itch to try it out and $20 isn't a bad price.
    Yeah, but not by much. 10% off. It was 20% off during the Spring and Summer sale last year. (at least, according to [https://steamdb.info/app/1366540/]steamdb[/url]). Since it just got a big update, I'd bet it'll only be 10% off in this Spring as well.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've sunk a good chunk of time into this since the Dark Fog update came out. I really like the extra challenge it adds early on. Being on the receiving end of an orbital bombardment will really focus your priorities. By the time you hit late-game it becomes pretty easy to take on an entire dark fog hive. It's just a matter of attrition. You can generally bring more ships to the fight so the only chance of failure comes from running out of power.

It would be cool if there was a final late-game threat. Once you kick the dark fog out of a few systems they send an armada to wipe you out, or something.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Holy shit. The comment section of a Nilaus video just clued me into a secret building you can get in late game. The re-composing assembler can break stuff down to raw materials again, I guess? I'm not sure how to unlock it yet but it involves Dark Fog science.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I've sunk a good chunk of time into this since the Dark Fog update came out. I really like the extra challenge it adds early on. Being on the receiving end of an orbital bombardment will really focus your priorities. By the time you hit late-game it becomes pretty easy to take on an entire dark fog hive. It's just a matter of attrition. You can generally bring more ships to the fight so the only chance of failure comes from running out of power.

It would be cool if there was a final late-game threat. Once you kick the dark fog out of a few systems they send an armada to wipe you out, or something.

The devs have said something along the lines that the space combat side of the game is only about half-done, but they wanted to get the update out since there had been so many other changes. The big clue for me that this was the case was that the biggest ship you can build is described as a "medium sized" ship. So basically we're currently lacking some of the tools we'd really need to fight them in space properly. As a compromise, they just cut the Dark Fog's space unit's HP in half temporarily.

So along with bigger ships (Battleships? Carriers?) we're also going to be getting "Space Platforms". Not sure what that involves exactly but if it means a way for my planets to defend themselves from space attacks without my intervention then great.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Late game the Darkfog needs to be able to build a starkiller base type weapon.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 10
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

The devs have said something along the lines that the space combat side of the game is only about half-done, but they wanted to get the update out since there had been so many other changes. The big clue for me that this was the case was that the biggest ship you can build is described as a "medium sized" ship. So basically we're currently lacking some of the tools we'd really need to fight them in space properly. As a compromise, they just cut the Dark Fog's space unit's HP in half temporarily.

So along with bigger ships (Battleships? Carriers?) we're also going to be getting "Space Platforms". Not sure what that involves exactly but if it means a way for my planets to defend themselves from space attacks without my intervention then great.

I saw something in a tooltip that refered to something like "the number of hangars in a system," which I assumed has to do with TBD defensive structures.

...But I also just learned learned that you can stick storages on splitters, so I would not be surprised to learn you can already socket a BAB on a spaceport and turn it into a military facility?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited January 10
    Oh yeah, being able to put storage on a splitter to give the storage direct in/out belts instead of messing with sorters was a nice QoL improvement. Space saving too.

The logistics bots for storage is one of my favorite additions though. So nice not having to use up a slot on every ILS across the planet for requesting warpers and proliferators. Just plot an extra box down with a hat and you're good. Really nice for malls too. You now don't have to remember which PLS/ILS/storage has which building/resource. Just set the quantities levels you want in your inventory and the bots just keep you automatically stocked.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Late game the Darkfog needs to be able to build a starkiller base type weapon.

Would be cool if it created an asteroid belt; because I assume the devs would find something interesting to do with those.

Like strapping engines to the valuable ones and crashing them into a depleted forge world.

• Options
    I'm really liking how much versatility stackers and proliferators add to factory design.

TIL that fractionators accept stacked belts (x4 throughput) and proliferator (x2 yield), so you can make 1 do the work of 8, without the falloff you'd normally get running 8 in series; or 4 if you don't want to waste the paint.

And who does? So, w/o paint, it winds up using ~4 MW (a ~6x increase..), but, yielding 1.2/s, that's 60% of the collider's deuterium output for 1/3 the power and half the materials; with the footprint of the loop-input manifold and 1 fracionator only taking up 6×10 to the collider's 6x9.

A nice-but-not-earth-shattering efficiency boost, and it gives you new ratios to play with where one 4x frac is roughly 1:1 with a t1 assembler making d-rods, or a collider making strange matter.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 14
    I barely played up to red science before, but now I'm really digging it. The key was to steal the blueprints from Nilaus, because I'm way more interested in the macro than the micro management.

...so now I'm rolling my thumbs until I can score a source of silicon to support my processor addiction.

Echo on
  • Options
    There, kicked the Dark Fog off of the starting planet. Now to wait for the red science stuff and whatever else I need to hop to other planets to ger more silicon.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    There, kicked the Dark Fog off of the starting planet. Now to wait for the red science stuff and whatever else I need to hop to other planets to ger more silicon.

You'll just need to research Mecha upgrades to get Lvl 2 Drive Engine to fly to other planets in the system. The starting system always has a lava planet with silicon and titanium to exploit.

But you'll need yellow science and research all the way to Gravitational Wave Refraction to build Space Warpers before you can leave the system to get at all the juicier resources.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Or you can leave the system without space warpers and get the achievement if you do it early enough :P

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Or you can leave the system without space warpers and get the achievement if you do it early enough :P

Technically you can but it takes like 2 real time hours to travel to the nearest star that way. If you have a real hard on for achievements do it once but then reload a prior save so you don't have to spend another 2 hours flying back.

• Options
    I barely played up to red science before, but now I'm really digging it. The key was to steal the blueprints from Nilaus, because I'm way more interested in the macro than the micro management.

...so now I'm rolling my thumbs until I can score a source of silicon to support my processor addiction.

My starting system only had one silicon vein: under a fog base on another planet, and I forgot you can make it from stone. It was a fun challenge, would forget again.

Technically you can but it takes like 2 real time hours to travel to the nearest star that way. If you have a real hard on for achievements do it once but then reload a prior save so you don't have to spend another 2 hours flying back.

Or just pack up the essentials and that's where you live now!

• Options
    edited January 14

Or just pack up the essentials and that's where you live now!

Essentials unfortunately includes the coal, oil, and water on your starter planet. You can't get anything past blue science without them. And as you don't have purple science you won't know what resources a system might have until you've spent hours flying there and systems with all 3 are rare.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Just waiting for geothermal to finish researching, then it's time to go to warmer climes and hunt for silicon.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Finally put a few hours in and broke through to red science cubes. It runs real slow on my 11.5-years-old computer but at least it runs.

I'm guessing mech customization is still really early stuff? The interface isn't very intuitive and I'm guessing it's more about adding and adjusting single blocks rather than wholesale part swapping.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Finally put a few hours in and broke through to red science cubes. It runs real slow on my 11.5-years-old computer but at least it runs.

I'm guessing mech customization is still really early stuff? The interface isn't very intuitive and I'm guessing it's more about adding and adjusting single blocks rather than wholesale part swapping.

I would hope so, it's currently like trying to design a car 1cc at a time.

The capabilities are really quite impressive, but the possibilities are hard to visualize, and the UX doesn't lend itself to idle experimentation.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Sooo it's probably gonna be a lot of work if I wanna make this guy, huh?
    CC8qswP.jpg

Anyways, I'm now making Red Cubes. I probably should've started with the X-Ray Cracking so I can get Hydrogen renewing itself. I'm already feeling the urge to tear up my base and rebuild it more efficiently.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Yes it will be a lot of work. You might take a look at the available mecha blueprints at https://www.dysonsphereblueprints.com/blueprints?type=mecha
    You might find something similar or even something completely different you like without having to design it yourself. Keep in mind that since you are still early in the game, you likely won't have the resources on hand yet to actually construct some of these designs.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    CC8qswP.jpg

Anyways, I'm now making Red Cubes. I probably should've started with the X-Ray Cracking so I can get Hydrogen renewing itself. I'm already feeling the urge to tear up my base and rebuild it more efficiently.

Unless something has changed X-ray cracking is kind of a trap - coal is a lot more common than oil and you'll be able to gather hydrogen in bulk from gas giants pretty soon. Refined oil is extremely valuable for plastic production which you'll need huge amounts of shortly.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited January 29
    Monwyn wrote: »
    CC8qswP.jpg

Unless something has changed X-ray cracking is kind of a trap - coal is a lot more common than oil and you'll be able to gather hydrogen in bulk from gas giants pretty soon. Refined oil is extremely valuable for plastic production which you'll need huge amounts of shortly.

Orbital collection is pretty deep in the tech tree though. Heck, you may even be producing excess hydrogen from fire ice before you have orbital collectors.

They did add a new recipe, reforming refine, that takes in 2 refined oil, 1 hydrogen, and 1 coal and outputs 3 refined oil. Because oil refining produces 2 oil and 1 hydrogen, you can just put crude oil into one refinery, take the whole output of that into a second refinery plus a line of coal and only output refined oil with no excess hydrogen. This avoids the common issue of excess hydrogen build up grinding your oil production to a halt.

Edit: X-ray cracking can be a short term boost for red science, but then is a detriment for yellow science. Past that it only really makes sense extremely late game where your coal veins might run dry and you need another source of energetic graphite. But good luck running out.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »
    CC8qswP.jpg

Orbital collection is pretty deep in the tech tree though. Heck, you may even be producing excess hydrogen from fire ice before you have orbital collectors.

They did add a new recipe, reforming refine, that takes in 2 refined oil, 1 hydrogen, and 1 coal and outputs 3 refined oil. Because x-ray cracking produces 2 oil and 1 hydrogen, you can just put crude oil into one refinery, take the whole output of that into a second refinery plus a line of coal and only output refined oil with no excess hydrogen. This avoids the common issue of excess hydrogen build up grinding your oil production to a halt.

I tend to use both of the secondary refining processes so that I'm either producing all oil or all hydrogen in a given complex. Mostly because it's easier to manage, but also because I like designing the little H2 catalyst loops needed to support the other one.

• Options
    edited February 10
    When last I played I'd finally started manufacturing the red Matrix Cubes. But I'm having trouble translating the Matrix Labs' research speed into a Cubes-per-second production target. Research subjects only give me a total cubes needed, Matrix Labs only state a hashes-per-second work speed and I'm not sure how to translate the first into the second.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    When last I played I'd finally started manufacturing the red Matrix Cubes. But I'm having trouble translating the Matrix Labs' research speed into a Cubes-per-second production target. Research subjects only give me a total cubes needed, Matrix Labs only state a hashes-per-second work speed and I'm not sure how to translate the first into the second.

It's not a constant. Quantity of cubes vary and total hashes vary per tech and lab hash rate goes up with research.

Each research item has a quantity of cubes needed plus a total amount of hashes to complete it. Take the lab hash rate per second times the number of cubes divided by the total hashes to get the cubes per second consumption. If a tech needs 300 blue cubes and 100 red cubes and takes 80,000 hashes and a lab has a current hash rate of 60/s, that's 60*300/80000=0.225 blue cubes per second per lab. And 60*100/80000=0.075 red cubes per second per lab. But as mentioned you'd have to calculate that for every tech so it's not worth doing.

Personally, I just build by ratio for cubes. I build my cube farms at whatever size they need to be so each color is made at the same cubes/second rate as that pays off when you get to making white cubes that require all other colors. For example 15 blue matrix labs and 30 red matrix labs will both produce 5 cubes per second total. Trivial to add more labs in the same ratio to each line to increase capacity if needed.

Then I just build a research stack large enough such that I see some research labs not working which means they're working as fast as they possibly can (assuming cube production isn't stalling). If they're all lit up that means I don't have enough capacity and need to build more. You don't need to be exact as the research speed will vary a lot anyway. But excess lab capacity doesn't hurt anything so might as well overbuild if your power is adequate.

• Options
    I'm lazy and use blueprints by Nilaus, because I'm more interested in the macro level than perfecting the micro level. And it's pretty fun to see the polar research base start lighting up.

• Options
    edited February 10
    I'm lazy and use blueprints by Nilaus, because I'm more interested in the macro level than perfecting the micro level. And it's pretty fun to see the polar research base start lighting up.

Oh absolutely. I'm wholely dependent on the "Bottleneck" (the more recently updated dark fog one) mod now. Bottleneck will tell you your theoretical maximum consumption and production on a per planet, per solar system, or entire galaxy basis. You can also tell it to calculate that with or without proliferation. And it can filter the list to show only precursor items for the one you are interested in.

So by end game, I can just pull up the Stats panel, see that my current production of rockets is below my desired theoretical max, filter the list to see my production of quantum chips is below max, and then see it's because my production of casimir crystals is maxed out because the theoretical production is less than my theoretical consumption. So I just have to stamp down one or more of my blueprints for crystals until my theoretical production is equal or better than my theoretical consumption. Of course then I need to go through and look at the precursors for crystals because those will all likely need additional production plots stamped down too, all the way down to how many additional miners I'll need for raw resources. It's fantastic.

I also use the BlueprintTweaks mod because it adds a bunch of QoL features such as being able to force stamp down those planet-spanning late game blueprints while ignoring build blockers such as a section of terrain that's not flat. That way it'll still start building 95% of it while you go fix those individual spots rather than the game refusing to build anything at all and leaving you to guess where the problem areas to fix were, retrying over and over until you finally get it right. It also has a wide angle free camera mode so you can actually see those build conflicts halfway around the planet.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I've been having fun spending an inordinate amount of time making my own blueprints as I progress to late game, most are pretty simple and basic and probably kind of derpy. But I'm kind of in love with the green motor tile I came up with, it's a block of 5 assemblers feeding into one green motor assembler in the center and there's maybe 1 square of wasted space beside the power pole and the production ratios line up nicely.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    CC8qswP.jpg

AC/5, SRM6, and a ML in his crotch.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    CC8qswP.jpg

AC/5, SRM6, and a ML in his crotch.

"...and baby, you got a stew going!"

Gonna play with the mecha editor tonight.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List