Options

🖥️🎮 - Loop Hero, Everhood, Until the Last Plane & Sir Brante out today!

24567101

Posts

  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2, requests for assistance
    - I'm down to three Yore statues:
    - - Bastille, guarding a bonfire;
    - - Dragon Aerie, guarding a cave; and
    - - Shaded Ruins, near Tark
    - All three seem pointless. I have two branches left.

    - I've been around the world several times and I cannot find a key to
    - - a door in the Gutter, near the circle of torches. There seems to be a related one in the access shaft to the Grave of the Saint.
    - - a door guarded by a respawning Dragonrider in the Shrine of Amana.
    - - a couple locked doors in Aldia's Keep
    - - the Sunken City

    - I've been more or less out of Lockstones for a while, and there are still a dozen or so between the Grave of the Saint and Doors of Pharros. Should I assume I can't get any more?

    - The Giant Kinship key-item claims it opens the "throne room under castle" [sic], and that doesn't seem to make sense; granted I didn't try the entrance to the Throne of Want without it, but usually key-items are more, "you have used this item here."

    - On the fast travel screen, there's an area I'm missing to the right of the Dragon Shrine. The remaining six seem to map to the DLC zones.

    - I have found another Estus Shard, but I cannot upgrade the flask further. This strikes me as very weird and I do not know what to do with this information.

    The bastille statue.

    Use a torch and look down off the sides of Black Gulch, maybe there's something down there.

    Max estus is 11, there are 12 shards.

  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Neat. I'll add those to my TODO list. Thanks!

  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tamin wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2, requests for assistance
    - I'm down to three Yore statues:
    - - Bastille, guarding a bonfire;
    - - Dragon Aerie, guarding a cave; and
    - - Shaded Ruins, near Tark
    - All three seem pointless. I have two branches left.

    - I've been around the world several times and I cannot find a key to
    - - a door in the Gutter, near the circle of torches. There seems to be a related one in the access shaft to the Grave of the Saint.
    - - a door guarded by a respawning Dragonrider in the Shrine of Amana.
    - - a couple locked doors in Aldia's Keep
    - - the Sunken City

    - I've been more or less out of Lockstones for a while, and there are still a dozen or so between the Grave of the Saint and Doors of Pharros. Should I assume I can't get any more?

    - The Giant Kinship key-item claims it opens the "throne room under castle" [sic], and that doesn't seem to make sense; granted I didn't try the entrance to the Throne of Want without it, but usually key-items are more, "you have used this item here."

    - On the fast travel screen, there's an area I'm missing to the right of the Dragon Shrine. The remaining six seem to map to the DLC zones.

    - I have found another Estus Shard, but I cannot upgrade the flask further. This strikes me as very weird and I do not know what to do with this information.

    A key:
    Check carefully in Black Gulch

    Branches:
    Do you have the Straid’s Cell bonfire in Bastille yet? If not do that one for sure.

    rhylith on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    quick, before this thread gets locked:

    can people here think of any good CRPGs that have Dragon Age-like romance options in them? These can also be series that are on Switch/PS4.

    Off the top of my head:

    Mass Effect
    Pillars of Eternity 2
    BG 2
    Persona series (3/4/5)
    Witcher 3 (really just Triss and Yen though)
    Divinity Original Sin 2 (again pretty limited)
    Stardew Valley
    Hades (kinda)

    This is for a friend who has played Mass Effect and Dragon Age far too many times, but wants some sort of RPG epic with some romance in it. She prefers if the romances were actually voice acted and had some level on animation (not so big on visual novels and the like), and that you get to choose your player character and romantic partner.

    keep recommending me smoochable games, folks

    My wife very much loves the Dragon Age games (but especially Inquisition). She dug the Mass Effect games, too, but to a lesser degree. Huge Stardew fan.

    I say all that because I want to make a recommendation that doesn't fit that mandate, exactly, but that tracks with "somebody with seemingly-similar tastes also enjoyed this"

    Yakuza 0.

    It seems far afield, I know. BUT, for my wife, she felt like she had a lot of control over Kiryu and Majima. For her, the side activities were a way of defining a character. She'd only do disco dancing with Majima (he has a whole dance-fighting style, after all), and would only do karaoke with Kiryu ("because he really feels the songs"). She got to have the agency she likes, but she also felt like all the characters had real PERSONALITIES, in a way games often lack.

    For her, part of the appeal of game romances is that they make the world feel more alive, more responsive, and more recognizable. With a world that is naturally more alive and responsive and recognizable, she didn't mind that the specific mechanic she normally digs was absent.

    But a lot of that's maybe me reading too deep into motivations. Suffice to say, my wife who loves the games you listed also loved Yakuza 0, even if it doesn't seem like it tracks at first blush. She has become a Yakuza 0 evangelist, bullying both of her sisters into playing it, and now they're big fans as well. There's something that connects lines, I swear.

    yakuza 0 is a dragon age game only fun, and instead of magic you just hit dudes with motorcycles

    Wait is this actually what it is? They put a ton of those Yakuza games on Game Pass and I've been eyeing them up but I had no idea where to start, but this description sounds like exactly what I want out of a video game.

    if you're gonna play a yakuza, play 0

    maybe like a dragon, but it's way different from the others

    but yeah, yakuza games are dumb melodramas with kingdom management sims and a cast of interesting characters

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Teeheehee
    My current Caves of Qud games has on the 2nd strata of the waterlogged tunnel underneath Joppa several dozen pools of wine just laying around. There's probably $3000 just lying on the floor. I'm out of waterskins and canteens and have to wait for the merchants to restock so I can pick up more.

    Seed is CCBF7BFB

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I am also quite addicted to Dyson Sphere Program.

    Currently I’m up to production on my 2nd planet since it had a resource I needed.

    I was all set to transport that resource to my main planet but then realized that what I ended up researching was not for Interplanetary logístics. It was Intraplanetary Logistics. So I had to move those resources manually until I could get the proper research.

    My new planet is much neater than my main one since I spaced it out a lot more. I’m debating making it my main planet. Or maybe I’ll just find another one...

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Reminder to please quote and source your tweets

  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    So having played Phoenotopia for about 3 hours. If you want a game that's reminscent of Zelda II, but better and super cute and has a good soundtrack, then this game is for you. 100%. I enjoyed it a lot.

    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I am also quite addicted to Dyson Sphere Program.

    Currently I’m up to production on my 2nd planet since it had a resource I needed.

    I was all set to transport that resource to my main planet but then realized that what I ended up researching was not for Interplanetary logístics. It was Intraplanetary Logistics. So I had to move those resources manually until I could get the proper research.

    My new planet is much neater than my main one since I spaced it out a lot more. I’m debating making it my main planet. Or maybe I’ll just find another one...

    I'd say make a new planet. Also I wonder if you get to pick which star is your Dyson Sphere star. I also really hope there is a robust notification system late game for when your first planets start running out of resources and you have to do something about it.

    I still want tech that will just harvest the whole planet for resources, eventually consuming it in it's entirety.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    quick, before this thread gets locked:

    can people here think of any good CRPGs that have Dragon Age-like romance options in them? These can also be series that are on Switch/PS4.

    Off the top of my head:

    Mass Effect
    Pillars of Eternity 2
    BG 2
    Persona series (3/4/5)
    Witcher 3 (really just Triss and Yen though)
    Divinity Original Sin 2 (again pretty limited)
    Stardew Valley
    Hades (kinda)

    This is for a friend who has played Mass Effect and Dragon Age far too many times, but wants some sort of RPG epic with some romance in it. She prefers if the romances were actually voice acted and had some level on animation (not so big on visual novels and the like), and that you get to choose your player character and romantic partner.

    keep recommending me smoochable games, folks

    My wife very much loves the Dragon Age games (but especially Inquisition). She dug the Mass Effect games, too, but to a lesser degree. Huge Stardew fan.

    I say all that because I want to make a recommendation that doesn't fit that mandate, exactly, but that tracks with "somebody with seemingly-similar tastes also enjoyed this"

    Yakuza 0.

    It seems far afield, I know. BUT, for my wife, she felt like she had a lot of control over Kiryu and Majima. For her, the side activities were a way of defining a character. She'd only do disco dancing with Majima (he has a whole dance-fighting style, after all), and would only do karaoke with Kiryu ("because he really feels the songs"). She got to have the agency she likes, but she also felt like all the characters had real PERSONALITIES, in a way games often lack.

    For her, part of the appeal of game romances is that they make the world feel more alive, more responsive, and more recognizable. With a world that is naturally more alive and responsive and recognizable, she didn't mind that the specific mechanic she normally digs was absent.

    But a lot of that's maybe me reading too deep into motivations. Suffice to say, my wife who loves the games you listed also loved Yakuza 0, even if it doesn't seem like it tracks at first blush. She has become a Yakuza 0 evangelist, bullying both of her sisters into playing it, and now they're big fans as well. There's something that connects lines, I swear.

    yakuza 0 is a dragon age game only fun, and instead of magic you just hit dudes with motorcycles

    Wait is this actually what it is? They put a ton of those Yakuza games on Game Pass and I've been eyeing them up but I had no idea where to start, but this description sounds like exactly what I want out of a video game.

    Yakuza 0-6 are light RPGs with action brawler combat and lots of exploration, minigames, and business management
    Yakuza 7 (Like A Dragon) is that but with actual RPG turn-based combat

  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    no cap Yakuza 7 is probably the best jrpg I played in forever (mostly because I haven't been playing jrpgs, but whatevs)

    as someone who doesn't jive with the whole youth-worship the genre tends to have (sorry Persona, but high school can lick my taint), having a bunch of scruffy 40-somethings as your cast and crew is v good

    mix in that that patented Yakuza style one-part hard gangster melodrama and one-part wacky nonsense bullshit and you have a winner

  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So having played Phoenotopia for about 3 hours. If you want a game that's reminscent of Zelda II, but better and super cute and has a good soundtrack, then this game is for you. 100%. I enjoyed it a lot.

    I was actually just coming here to talk about it.

    Having played it for 15 I cannot recommend it at all. I hate the combat so much. The short range of the melee combined with how slow and unresponsive the character is makes fighting anything a huge challenge, but the bad kind of challenge where I never felt like I was in control of any situation. Every boss fight there's something that will take me from full health to nearly dead as they ping pong me across the ground into multiple hits.

    I was pushing through it because the story is fun, the look is amazing, and it's neat to explore, but the frustration has overwhelmed all that and i've given up.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    gVBMwdR.png

    Text:
    A non-EA studio is reportedly developing a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game.

    The rumour comes via the B.O.B. The Podcast. Contributor Bespin Bulletin reports that a new instalment of the fan-favourite RPG is in development, adding "it's not with EA" and "we'll never guess" what studio is taking on the project.
    poster

    Watch on YouTube

    "Amongst my digging, I heard there is a Knights of the Old Republic project in development somewhere," Bespin Bulletin said (thanks, VGC). "I talked to a couple of people, and I also found out that [Bloomberg reporter] Jason Schreier said that it's not with EA, and we'll 'never guess' who the studio is that's making this game."

    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-24-well-never-guess-what-studio-is-developing-a-new-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game

    KONAMI PRESENTS

    STAR WARS PACHINKO: KNIGHTS OF THE GACHA HEALTH SPA

    Brolo on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Been playing some SW Battlefront 2 since it became free

    This game could have been good if they hadn't put in all this progression nonsense and if they had some kind of consequences for toxic players. I'm getting completely melted by officer class dudes with I'm guessing the top-level pistol while I'm stuck using the beginner assault class rifle and clearly won't be unlocking future ones unless I play for dozens of hours...

    while they extol the virtues of saying the n word in chat

    seems insane that they would put in that much of a delta between "experienced" players and the new players that they presumably need to stick around in order to keep the game going, but starting out you're at a massive disadvantage vs the established playerbase.

    gonna have to go with uninstall on this one

  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    a) most weapons are sidegrades and most of the mods are stuff like "gets a scope" or "becomes burst-fire" but then you get stuff like the BLURRG with exploding shots.

    b) play the coop mode. Less asshole players to deal with *and* the game doesn't distinguish between player kills and bot kills for milestones.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sony Online Entertainment presents

    Star Wars Galaxies: The Old Republic

  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Been playing some SW Battlefront 2 since it became free

    This game could have been good if they hadn't put in all this progression nonsense and if they had some kind of consequences for toxic players. I'm getting completely melted by officer class dudes with I'm guessing the top-level pistol while I'm stuck using the beginner assault class rifle and clearly won't be unlocking future ones unless I play for dozens of hours...

    while they extol the virtues of saying the n word in chat

    seems insane that they would put in that much of a delta between "experienced" players and the new players that they presumably need to stick around in order to keep the game going, but starting out you're at a massive disadvantage vs the established playerbase.

    gonna have to go with uninstall on this one

    There really isn't that big of a difference between where you start and what you can unlock - not nearly as bad as in SW Battlefront 1. It comes down much more to familiarity with maps/the game/whatever. And in that regard, I can't really think of any multiplayer shooters that I've played where a brand new player isn't at a massive disadvantage vs an established playerbase that likely have years worth of experience at this point.

    I played on the PS4, so thankfully there was no chat. I could even let my kids sit and watch while I played.

  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So having played Phoenotopia for about 3 hours. If you want a game that's reminscent of Zelda II, but better and super cute and has a good soundtrack, then this game is for you. 100%. I enjoyed it a lot.

    I was actually just coming here to talk about it.

    Having played it for 15 I cannot recommend it at all. I hate the combat so much. The short range of the melee combined with how slow and unresponsive the character is makes fighting anything a huge challenge, but the bad kind of challenge where I never felt like I was in control of any situation. Every boss fight there's something that will take me from full health to nearly dead as they ping pong me across the ground into multiple hits.

    I was pushing through it because the story is fun, the look is amazing, and it's neat to explore, but the frustration has overwhelmed all that and i've given up.

    You can tech off the ground when you get hit with left trigger to avoid bouncing around.

    I'll report back but so far I'm enjoying it with just turning on the accessibility feature that turns off energy consumption on basic attacks. Makes it more fun.

    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    Tube wrote: »
    Reminder to please quote and source your tweets

    @tube hey just to be clear

    do you want the full text of a tweet copied for every single tweet?

    what should we do for tweets that are primarily just videos or images?

    and for things like game release tweets, like I have in the OP, is that game date/title/description enough context, or should I also copy the text?

  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Is there a game where you crew like a colony ship and have to make it to your destination and then establish the colony but not as a top-down city manager?

    Weaver on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tharsis is a roguelike about getting to Mars on a ship, I don't think it has any colony building once you get there though.

  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4

    I thought that was lovely, critical but affectionate

    I will say that I have og half life burned into my circuits in a pretty fundamental way and I almost totally disremembered Xen it's a mouthy chunkful of that game and I do not recall it

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    xen feels like such a footnote epilogue to the massive science complex dungeon trek that precedes it

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I just started Greedfall, put maybe three hours into it and it feels very...generic? While making me pull my collar multiple times with this colonialism and natives plot stuff they seem to be doing. And I'm not sure I'm really connecting to the party members very much.

    Maybe this just isn't my bag right now.

  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    never die wrote: »
    So I just started Greedfall, put maybe three hours into it and it feels very...generic? While making me pull my collar multiple times with this colonialism and natives plot stuff they seem to be doing. And I'm not sure I'm really connecting to the party members very much.

    Maybe this just isn't my bag right now.

    Greedfall is just okay, but it works if you are desperate for old-school Bioware. It also has the same issue of all the developer’s games - a strong start, a middle acts with far too many underdeveloped side quests, and I dunno because I never get past that part.

    My favorite of theirs is Mars: War Logs, because a prison that you have to navigate, survive, and eventually escape is a great RPG setting. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there.

    Phillishere on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So I just started Greedfall, put maybe three hours into it and it feels very...generic? While making me pull my collar multiple times with this colonialism and natives plot stuff they seem to be doing. And I'm not sure I'm really connecting to the party members very much.

    Maybe this just isn't my bag right now.

    yeah it's discount BioWare and uh... surprisingly ignorant for a game explicitly about new world colonization

  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Spiders is a studio that has a lot of good ideas but no clue on how to actually execute on them. Greedfall has three different plot points that could have had a really interesting game built around them but instead they get just kinda dropped after being introduced.

    I do think they are slowly getting better. I found Bound by Flame unplayable, but enjoyed my time with Greedfall and The Technomancer. Though I'm not sure I would call any of them good. I am kinda curious how their Alt-History Robot French Revolution game will turn out.

  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Glad I bounced off Greedfall before it even got to anything collar tug, I bailed after like 15 minutes because the controls were awful

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So I just started Greedfall, put maybe three hours into it and it feels very...generic? While making me pull my collar multiple times with this colonialism and natives plot stuff they seem to be doing. And I'm not sure I'm really connecting to the party members very much.

    Maybe this just isn't my bag right now.

    Greedfall is just okay, but it works if you are desperate for old-school Bioware. It also has the same issue of all the developer’s games - a strong start, a middle acts with far too many underdeveloped side quests, and I dunno because I never get past that part.

    My favorite of theirs is Mars: War Logs, because a prison that you have to navigate, survive, and eventually escape is a great RPG setting. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there.

    Well hearing strong start and then drop off has convinced me this might just not be the game for me then. As I didn't really like the start too well. Oh well.

  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Glad I bounced off Greedfall before it even got to anything collar tug, I bailed after like 15 minutes because the controls were awful

    The game had themes about the evils of exploitation and that colonialism was bad. It was just very ham-handed, and pushed you toward finding a way to get the island’s natives, your lightly asshole colonialist faction, and the openly genocidal other colonialist factions to all learn to get along.

    Felt well-meaning but cringey in a “Made in the 90s” way.

  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Spiders is a studio that has a lot of good ideas but no clue on how to actually execute on them. Greedfall has three different plot points that could have had a really interesting game built around them but instead they get just kinda dropped after being introduced.

    I do think they are slowly getting better. I found Bound by Flame unplayable, but enjoyed my time with Greedfall and The Technomancer. Though I'm not sure I would call any of them good. I am kinda curious how their Alt-History Robot French Revolution game will turn out.

    Spiders has been one game away from
    a good game for years. Greedfall is definitely their best from a technical perspective, but it still isn’t good.

  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Been playing some Yakuza 0.

    I'm horrible at pool. I'm bad at darts.

    I'm good at bowling.

    The first thing I did when the game really opened up for Kiryu is get all the things from the UFO catcher and get the high score on Space Harrier. I am playing this game correctly.

  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    quick, before this thread gets locked:

    can people here think of any good CRPGs that have Dragon Age-like romance options in them? These can also be series that are on Switch/PS4.

    Off the top of my head:

    Mass Effect
    Pillars of Eternity 2
    BG 2
    Persona series (3/4/5)
    Witcher 3 (really just Triss and Yen though)
    Divinity Original Sin 2 (again pretty limited)
    Stardew Valley
    Hades (kinda)

    This is for a friend who has played Mass Effect and Dragon Age far too many times, but wants some sort of RPG epic with some romance in it. She prefers if the romances were actually voice acted and had some level on animation (not so big on visual novels and the like), and that you get to choose your player character and romantic partner.

    keep recommending me smoochable games, folks

    My wife very much loves the Dragon Age games (but especially Inquisition). She dug the Mass Effect games, too, but to a lesser degree. Huge Stardew fan.

    I say all that because I want to make a recommendation that doesn't fit that mandate, exactly, but that tracks with "somebody with seemingly-similar tastes also enjoyed this"

    Yakuza 0.

    It seems far afield, I know. BUT, for my wife, she felt like she had a lot of control over Kiryu and Majima. For her, the side activities were a way of defining a character. She'd only do disco dancing with Majima (he has a whole dance-fighting style, after all), and would only do karaoke with Kiryu ("because he really feels the songs"). She got to have the agency she likes, but she also felt like all the characters had real PERSONALITIES, in a way games often lack.

    For her, part of the appeal of game romances is that they make the world feel more alive, more responsive, and more recognizable. With a world that is naturally more alive and responsive and recognizable, she didn't mind that the specific mechanic she normally digs was absent.

    But a lot of that's maybe me reading too deep into motivations. Suffice to say, my wife who loves the games you listed also loved Yakuza 0, even if it doesn't seem like it tracks at first blush. She has become a Yakuza 0 evangelist, bullying both of her sisters into playing it, and now they're big fans as well. There's something that connects lines, I swear.

    yakuza 0 is a dragon age game only fun, and instead of magic you just hit dudes with motorcycles

    Wait is this actually what it is? They put a ton of those Yakuza games on Game Pass and I've been eyeing them up but I had no idea where to start, but this description sounds like exactly what I want out of a video game.

    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tharsis is a roguelike about getting to Mars on a ship, I don't think it has any colony building once you get there though.

    Tharsis is 10000% dice rolls. It's not so much a "game" you "play" so much as you just roll dice and hope it deigns to allow you to win. As one review amusingly put it, it's Yahtzee with extra steps.
    Weaver wrote: »
    Is there a game where you crew like a colony ship and have to make it to your destination and then establish the colony but not as a top-down city manager?

    @Weaver Check out Genesis Alpha One that's currently in the Humble Built to Survive bundle, it might be what you're looking for. It has a lot of interesting ideas, though you kind of need a tolerance for indie jank.

  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Not what you requested but Per Aspera is a very recent Mars colony simulator where you are playing an AI trying to make the best decision for the colonists, and it's interwoven with story choices that impact the plot and the gameplay.

    I havent played it, but most people who did talk about it favorably, with the simulator being a bit simple.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Control hit Xbox Game Pass PC on Thursday. It apparently crashes every ten minutes for most people, including myself. Every time it crashes there is a chance of save file corruption.

    But it's so good! I could wait a week for the developer to fix this obvious massive issue. OR I could play progress loss roulette.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Is there a game where you crew like a colony ship and have to make it to your destination and then establish the colony but not as a top-down city manager?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3b10POrNXw


    in Space Asshole you play as a mars colonizer and you're sorta helping to establish a colony by, y'know

    killing most of the inhabitants

  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I was a huge fan of Phoenotopia back when it was a Flash game on New Grounds. The criticism Aistan mentions was also a criticism of the original game. I recall struggling with it on my first play through (especially those dang frogs in the Duri Forest or whatever it's called now).

    At some point or another it just clicked, so I don't know that I have any advice. Mainly, if you usually like Metroidvanias then it is worth it to stick with it; you will come to enjoy it.

    That said, I've been a little hesitant to say it's as good as the original. Some things were good because of their simplicity (storyline, dialogue) and now are needlessly complicated. Even the soundtrack embellished some of the original themes in a way that loses the original charm. For example the Panselo theme now has a bridge which plays a flute an octave higher and it just annoys me.

    All in all, I find it fun and a nostalgic trip with a familiar protagonist and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvanias.

    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    decided to play a bit of AC Odyssey and pick it back up where I left off and I met Hippokrates the first time and he gave me an apple and proved that the AC Series has been a vector for dad jokes before valhalla at least.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Bought that Genesis Alpha One game.

This discussion has been closed.