Options

🖥️🎮 - Loop Hero, Everhood, Until the Last Plane & Sir Brante out today!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    quick, before this thread gets locked:

can people here think of any good CRPGs that have Dragon Age-like romance options in them? These can also be series that are on Switch/PS4.

Off the top of my head:

Mass Effect
    Pillars of Eternity 2
    BG 2
    Persona series (3/4/5)
    Witcher 3 (really just Triss and Yen though)
    Divinity Original Sin 2 (again pretty limited)
    Stardew Valley
    Hades (kinda)

This is for a friend who has played Mass Effect and Dragon Age far too many times, but wants some sort of RPG epic with some romance in it. She prefers if the romances were actually voice acted and had some level on animation (not so big on visual novels and the like), and that you get to choose your player character and romantic partner.

keep recommending me smoochable games, folks

My wife very much loves the Dragon Age games (but especially Inquisition). She dug the Mass Effect games, too, but to a lesser degree. Huge Stardew fan.

I say all that because I want to make a recommendation that doesn't fit that mandate, exactly, but that tracks with "somebody with seemingly-similar tastes also enjoyed this"

Yakuza 0.

It seems far afield, I know. BUT, for my wife, she felt like she had a lot of control over Kiryu and Majima. For her, the side activities were a way of defining a character. She'd only do disco dancing with Majima (he has a whole dance-fighting style, after all), and would only do karaoke with Kiryu ("because he really feels the songs"). She got to have the agency she likes, but she also felt like all the characters had real PERSONALITIES, in a way games often lack.

For her, part of the appeal of game romances is that they make the world feel more alive, more responsive, and more recognizable. With a world that is naturally more alive and responsive and recognizable, she didn't mind that the specific mechanic she normally digs was absent.

But a lot of that's maybe me reading too deep into motivations. Suffice to say, my wife who loves the games you listed also loved Yakuza 0, even if it doesn't seem like it tracks at first blush. She has become a Yakuza 0 evangelist, bullying both of her sisters into playing it, and now they're big fans as well. There's something that connects lines, I swear.

yakuza 0 is a dragon age game only fun, and instead of magic you just hit dudes with motorcycles

Wait is this actually what it is? They put a ton of those Yakuza games on Game Pass and I've been eyeing them up but I had no idea where to start, but this description sounds like exactly what I want out of a video game.

the most important thing about yakuza is that majima goro has never killed a single person

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Bought that Genesis Alpha One game.

Not getting bottom paged by a Yakuza quote!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I was a huge fan of Phoenotopia back when it was a Flash game on New Grounds. The criticism Aistan mentions was also a criticism of the original game. I recall struggling with it on my first play through (especially those dang frogs in the Duri Forest or whatever it's called now).

At some point or another it just clicked, so I don't know that I have any advice. Mainly, if you usually like Metroidvanias then it is worth it to stick with it; you will come to enjoy it.

That said, I've been a little hesitant to say it's as good as the original. Some things were good because of their simplicity (storyline, dialogue) and now are needlessly complicated. Even the soundtrack embellished some of the original themes in a way that loses the original charm. For example the Panselo theme now has a bridge which plays a flute an octave higher and it just annoys me.

All in all, I find it fun and a nostalgic trip with a familiar protagonist and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvanias.

It may just be a matter of taste, sure. I just couldn't get my head around how it controlled. Maybe I was just doing it wrong but it never clicked even after how much time I spent.

It's not a metroidvania though. The ruins in the prologue are the only time that sort of level layout is present. It's a Zelda II. There's an overworld and towns and linear dungeons. The exploration is actually pretty neat, I enjoyed it, even if there's too many buildings and too many npcs in the cities. But it's not a metroidvania.

Aistan on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Almost 10 hours in to Dyson Sphere and in about another hour I'll start launching solar sails into the spheres orbit. The first steps! These initial launches will be used to beam back power to my home base.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I've got 2 planes of solar sails going. one from each of my planets.

I'm about to hook up my 2nd planet as a researcher (up to yellow) since it's way better set up for production than the mishmash that is my first.

I should probably look into moving to a new solar system as I'm running out of coal and stone since only my home planet have those.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    what are some games where you play as like a technomage. you know, a mage except you shoot spells out of a gun or gauntlet or some shit instead of waving your hands around

• Options
    ZamZam Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2, requests for assistance
    - I'm down to three Yore statues:
    - - Bastille, guarding a bonfire;
    - - Dragon Aerie, guarding a cave; and
    - - Shaded Ruins, near Tark
    - All three seem pointless. I have two branches left.

- I've been around the world several times and I cannot find a key to
    - - a door in the Gutter, near the circle of torches. There seems to be a related one in the access shaft to the Grave of the Saint.
    - - a door guarded by a respawning Dragonrider in the Shrine of Amana.
    - - a couple locked doors in Aldia's Keep
    - - the Sunken City

- I've been more or less out of Lockstones for a while, and there are still a dozen or so between the Grave of the Saint and Doors of Pharros. Should I assume I can't get any more?

- The Giant Kinship key-item claims it opens the "throne room under castle" [sic], and that doesn't seem to make sense; granted I didn't try the entrance to the Throne of Want without it, but usually key-items are more, "you have used this item here."

- On the fast travel screen, there's an area I'm missing to the right of the Dragon Shrine. The remaining six seem to map to the DLC zones.

- I have found another Estus Shard, but I cannot upgrade the flask further. This strikes me as very weird and I do not know what to do with this information.

Shrine of Amana:
    Try humanity

Aldia's Keep:
    Torch required, and then skeleton!
    Light all the torches in the area, kill the phantoms that appear, then return to the dragon skeleton at the entrance.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what are some games where you play as like a technomage. you know, a mage except you shoot spells out of a gun or gauntlet or some shit instead of waving your hands around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZOWDbU1voE
    Hexen (not really a techno mage, but you do shoot spells out of a gauntlet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDylyH0MVw
    Cybermage: Darklight Awakening (actual technomage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8js1jjbKWA
    E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy (also a technomage thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1r77lzvb3o
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall Gameplay (you can play as a mage, with a gun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-Dt0rA6pY
    The Technomancer (don't know if you actually have magic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFSw5bDe-Ak
    Shadow Warrior 2 (you get magic and guns and guns that shoot magic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv0aXtIAmGM
    Artificer: Science of Magic (you apparently can craft a gun in this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjeOih2CHA
    Graven (again not sure about the tech part but you're definitely shooting magic at people)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Phoenotopia back when it was a Flash game on New Grounds. The criticism Aistan mentions was also a criticism of the original game. I recall struggling with it on my first play through (especially those dang frogs in the Duri Forest or whatever it's called now).

At some point or another it just clicked, so I don't know that I have any advice. Mainly, if you usually like Metroidvanias then it is worth it to stick with it; you will come to enjoy it.

That said, I've been a little hesitant to say it's as good as the original. Some things were good because of their simplicity (storyline, dialogue) and now are needlessly complicated. Even the soundtrack embellished some of the original themes in a way that loses the original charm. For example the Panselo theme now has a bridge which plays a flute an octave higher and it just annoys me.

All in all, I find it fun and a nostalgic trip with a familiar protagonist and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvanias.

It may just be a matter of taste, sure. I just couldn't get my head around how it controlled. Maybe I was just doing it wrong but it never clicked even after how much time I spent.

It's not a metroidvania though. The ruins in the prologue are the only time that sort of level layout is present. It's a Zelda II. There's an overworld and towns and linear dungeons. The exploration is actually pretty neat, I enjoyed it, even if there's too many buildings and too many npcs in the cities. But it's not a metroidvania.

Yeah, I only used that term because Steam used it. It's a Zelda-style platformer like Zelda 2 was.

Of course, come to think of it, aren't the Zelda games like a kind of RPG? Instead of raising stats, you're collecting items that open up new areas of the game in a similar fashion as RPGs.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I need to muster up the strength to finish Disco Elysium

I think it's a true achievement, a really special game, but also one that makes me extremely anxious or sad while playing

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Yeah, I only used that term because Steam used it. It's a Zelda-style platformer like Zelda 2 was.

Of course, come to think of it, aren't the Zelda games like a kind of RPG? Instead of raising stats, you're collecting items that open up new areas of the game in a similar fashion as RPGs.

Zelda 2 is a full rpg! There's experience points and everything.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I need to muster up the strength to finish Disco Elysium

I think it's a true achievement, a really special game, but also one that makes me extremely anxious or sad while playing

I had trouble with how relentlessly overheated the prose was at all times, and the bad narrator didn't help. Even the writers at Failbettee know you gotta dial it down sometimes.

The while thing exhausted me even as I respect it a lot.

Less ambiguous is that the graphics were not very shitty-eyesight friendly. Lots of small interactive objects just blending invisibly into the trash-strewn world. It added a lot of unnecessary stress.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Zam wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2, requests for assistance
    - I'm down to three Yore statues:
    - - Bastille, guarding a bonfire;
    - - Dragon Aerie, guarding a cave; and
    - - Shaded Ruins, near Tark
    - All three seem pointless. I have two branches left.

- I've been around the world several times and I cannot find a key to
    - - a door in the Gutter, near the circle of torches. There seems to be a related one in the access shaft to the Grave of the Saint.
    - - a door guarded by a respawning Dragonrider in the Shrine of Amana.
    - - a couple locked doors in Aldia's Keep
    - - the Sunken City

- I've been more or less out of Lockstones for a while, and there are still a dozen or so between the Grave of the Saint and Doors of Pharros. Should I assume I can't get any more?

- The Giant Kinship key-item claims it opens the "throne room under castle" [sic], and that doesn't seem to make sense; granted I didn't try the entrance to the Throne of Want without it, but usually key-items are more, "you have used this item here."

- On the fast travel screen, there's an area I'm missing to the right of the Dragon Shrine. The remaining six seem to map to the DLC zones.

- I have found another Estus Shard, but I cannot upgrade the flask further. This strikes me as very weird and I do not know what to do with this information.

Shrine of Amana:
    Try humanity

Aldia's Keep:
    Torch required, and then skeleton!
    Light all the torches in the area, kill the phantoms that appear, then return to the dragon skeleton at the entrance.

1) Easy enough. I'll take a look-see
    - edit:
    used an (my first; I had 99 somehow) effigy but the door remains locked. Also attempted to 'pray' while human (one of the early drafts of this RFA mentioned the altar in the Rise of the Dead, so at first I thought you mean that spot), but no luck.

2) I'll double-check, but I thought I had.
    - edit: missed one. Problem solved.
    Nothing super special back there but it did give me the last branch, so that's good.

Cheers!

Tamin on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Baldur's Gate 3. It's not very good. The combat is less good than Divinity Original Sin (or what ever the fuck that word salad title was) and the story is some sort of boring mystery deal. Had good a side story with a witch though.

Back to CK3.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ZamZam Registered User regular
    1) Easy enough. I'll take a look-see
    - edit:
    used an (my first; I had 99 somehow) effigy but the door remains locked. Also attempted to 'pray' while human (one of the early drafts of this RFA mentioned the altar in the Rise of the Dead, so at first I thought you mean that spot), but no luck.

2) I'll double-check, but I thought I had.
    - edit: missed one. Problem solved.
    Nothing super special back there but it did give me the last branch, so that's good.

Cheers!

It's been a while so I might have forgotten a step. You might also need
    to defeat Vendrick
    to get through that door.

If you do try to do that make sure you have
    as many soul of a giant as you can find
    in your inventory or else you're going to have a bad time.
    He has stupidly high defense, but it's cut in half for each soul of a giant you possess.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tharsis is a roguelike about getting to Mars on a ship, I don't think it has any colony building once you get there though.

Tharsis is 10000% dice rolls. It's not so much a "game" you "play" so much as you just roll dice and hope it deigns to allow you to win. As one review amusingly put it, it's Yahtzee with extra steps.

It ABSOLUTELY is not. Tharsis is super fun.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hard disagree. But at the same time I genuinely don't like game success states being so heavily tied to dice rolls as that one is, so preference is important. (e.g. I loathed Dead in Vinland for the same reason)

Donnicton on
  • Options

Text:
    Mx Themboposting Rainbow⚡
    @theymerSophie
    ·
    3m
    They look incredible, stunning, gorgeous, iconic, we love to see it and we have no choice but to stan Smiling face with 3 hearts

So excited, happy and proud of you
    @JimSterling

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAZhm5zdrY
    oh hey!

• Options

text:
    We are excited to be hiring a Producer to work with us on Innchanted!

⭐️5 month part time role
    ⭐️Remote within Australia, or Melb CBD
    🏳️‍🌈Diverse applicants welcome

❤️Please share and tag anyone who you think might be interested😊

#producer #gamedevjobs

https://tsumea.com/news/250121/part-time-producerpm-contract-innchanted

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Oh hey, you're right, I totally forgot about that.

Still proud to this day at how good I was at defeating shadow Link.

Hmm. Maybe that's why I like Phoenotopia so much. Zelda 2 was Nintendo Hard, so Phoenotopia is by comparison is a helluva lot easier.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Experience points do not make a game an RPG. You need a narrative that is meaningfully shaped by player choice.

• Options

Oh hey, you're right, I totally forgot about that.

Still proud to this day at how good I was at defeating shadow Link.

Hmm. Maybe that's why I like Phoenotopia so much. Zelda 2 was Nintendo Hard, so Phoenotopia is by comparison is a helluva lot easier.

wait what? when was zelda 2 hard?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    friends

please

please do not go down the hole of "what is an rpg"

I'm beseeching you right now

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That Caves of Qud game I started yesterday is still going strong. My best run yet by a good margin. Helps that I've actually hit the point where I'm looking things up in the wiki for details instead of stumbling around blind.

I'm playing a mutant rogue type.
    Multiple Arms
    Double hearts
    Nightvision*
    Regeneration
    Horns
    Chimera (got Double Muscled on my first buy)
    And Tonic Allergy for the extra points.
    Took the archetype that gets short blades, and scavenging, and got the dual wield bits that synergize with my extra arms, horns and shortages. Also charge because horns and generally closing gaps is useful.

I kind of blender things now. Between my horns and short blade skills everything gets tons of bleeds when I hit. I have one of the chests by Argyve stuffed with wine and books and trade goods. All my knives are steel except for my primary which is folded carbide that I masterwork modded.

I've gotten to the bottom of the historical site you get from the first shrine, and cleared out the rust gate, and starting on the quest in the grit gate. All of which are things I've never managed before.

*I always take this on mutants because I hate dealing with light. Especially on the dual wield/2h characters i tend to play. It's not as bad with 4 arms, but with the standard 2 it's like the game doesn't actually want you to be able to use the skills you bought because most things happen underground.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    friends

please

please do not go down the hole of "what is an rpg"

I'm beseeching you right now

0jasDxe.jpg

the definition is pretty straightforward

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Straightzi wrote: »

Experience points do not make a game an RPG. You need a narrative that is meaningfully shaped by player choice.

this is wildly out of step with video game rpg design for like...the bulk of all rpg video games. like it's fine if you think this personally but it is not how the genre is defined in the industry in any way.

edit: like, Final Fantasy came out in 1987. It is one of the foundational rpg games, it has literally no player choice in the narrative. Adventure of Link comes out in 1988.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

You need a narrative that is meaningfully shaped by player choice.

Nah. I just need numbers and stats that i make go up as i like.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    every game in which you assume the role of a character is an RPG

some RPGs have a very rigid script you must stick to (Uncharted), some allow for minor variations variations in actor choices (Pathologic 2), most generally allow for lots of improv during action scenes as long as you say your lines correctly, some give limited creative input to the actor when making long-term decisions about the character (final fantasy). Usually you only play a single role but just like in other role-playing art forms you can sometimes play multiple (Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 2)

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

You need a narrative that is meaningfully shaped by player choice.

Nah. I just need numbers and stats that i make go up as i like.
    And that's why Nippon Ichi Software exists.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

NpmoLNI.jpg

if it has loot its an rpg

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/rpgs-and-suckage/

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I love that FF Tactics is its own thing on that list. I want more FF Tactics in my life

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You can absolutely do D&D without loot, and most people do it without XP.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Glal wrote: »

In like a one shot maybe I guess? But a dnd game/campaign where no one ever changes equipment or finds something cool sounds super weird

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

i've never heard of singe person doing d&d with no xp. that's the whole point pf d&d: the gainz

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

In like a one shot maybe I guess? But a dnd game/campaign where no one ever changes equipment or finds something cool sounds super boring

• Options
    Buying gear and loot are two different things.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bunch of fucking nerds in this thread.

Now let's talk about the massive lore implications from the new primarch book-Alpharius: Head of the Hydra

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I would say that "you buy gear and level up at DM discretion" and "you find gear and track XP" are not super meaningful distinctions for the purposes of "is there loot and XP?"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i've never heard of singe person doing d&d with no xp. that's the whole point pf d&d: the gainz
    You go for milestones, and level up when you basically feel you've accomplished enough. So, you've levels/progression, but it's entirely separate from killing shit.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    every game in which you assume the role of a character is an RPG

some RPGs have a very rigid script you must stick to (Uncharted), some allow for minor variations variations in actor choices (Pathologic 2), most generally allow for lots of improv during action scenes as long as you say your lines correctly, some give limited creative input to the actor when making long-term decisions about the character (final fantasy). Usually you only play a single role but just like in other role-playing art forms you can sometimes play multiple (Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 2)

I will begrudgingly also accept this as a definition, yeah.

This discussion has been closed.