Options

🖥️🎮 - Loop Hero, Everhood, Until the Last Plane & Sir Brante out today!

12467101

Posts

  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I need to muster up the strength to finish Disco Elysium

    I think it's a true achievement, a really special game, but also one that makes me extremely anxious or sad while playing

    I will say that without spoiling it the conclusion was significantly kinder than I expected in my playthrough. It's definitely a melancholy game, though.

    I can't wait to replay it when they've finished updating it.

    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I generally play in milestone DnD games. I played one campaign that actually used XP for leveling and a couple of us were always slightly behind and it really contributes to kind of a sour feeling at the table

  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    an rpg is whatever popular consensus has decided counts as an rpg because that's just how these things work sometimes

  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    an rpg is whatever popular consensus has decided counts as an rpg because that's just how these things work sometimes

    I mean, yes

    It mostly just rankles me because I love (what I consider to be) RPGs

    But the term is constantly used to mean XP and loot, two things that I typically detest

    Straightzi on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Goose! wrote: »
    I love that FF Tactics is its own thing on that list. I want more FF Tactics in my life

    here are a few that are in that vein

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_BeibFTEDI
    Fae Tactics

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbiGZhjJvFo
    Fell Seal

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-z8TQLlCE8
    Wildermyth

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E2nZmiMqyk
    Wintermoor Tactics Club



    and a few upcoming ones:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vpJPnG_nA
    arcadian atlas

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPg9W4maaU
    live by the sword tactics

    Brolo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    You can absolutely do D&D without loot, and most people do it without XP.


    super mario bros for nes? RPG because you can pick up a fire flower
    pac-man? RPG because you can 'loot' pellets
    pong? the ball technically counts as loot when it bounces off you. rpg.

    d&d without loot? not an rpg

  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Regardless of what you call it or how you track it, I would consider XP in this instance to more or less mean "character progression". I also feel like I must be misunderstanding the definition of "Party" if Persona 4 doesn't count as having it.

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    You can absolutely do D&D without loot, and most people do it without XP.


    super mario bros for nes? RPG because you can pick up a fire flower
    pac-man? RPG because you can 'loot' pellets
    pong? the ball technically counts as loot when it bounces off you. rpg.

    d&d without loot? not an rpg

    this is all extremely correct

  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Metroid "levels up" when she increases her maximum health, but gets "loot" when you pick up weapons or traversal items.

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    You can absolutely do D&D without loot, and most people do it without XP.


    super mario bros for nes? RPG because you can pick up a fire flower
    pac-man? RPG because you can 'loot' pellets
    pong? the ball technically counts as loot when it bounces off you. rpg.

    d&d without loot? not an rpg
    I mean, you do you. Though I am amused at D&D being used as the ur RPG example, mainly thanks to video games largely taking from its systems, when in TTRPG circles it's not exactly thought highly of as an RPG. Combat simulator, sure, but an RPG? Pretty middling at best.

  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Metroid "levels up" when she increases her maximum health, but gets "loot" when you pick up weapons or traversal items.
    *hisses*

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Metroid "levels up" when she increases her maximum health, but gets "loot" when you pick up weapons or traversal items.
    *hisses*

    yes, technically the main character of the Metroid series should be referred to as Metroid's Monster, just calling her Metroid leads to confusion with her creator, Dr. Metroid

  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Technically everything can be an RPG, which makes the definition useless.

    I like defining it as a game with character progression via level-ups gained from experience points, put into abilities the player chooses from.

    People can use whatever criteria they want. But if someone asks if I want to try this cool RPG they've just finished then hand me half-life because one plays the role of gordon freeman as he gains strength via weapon acquisition I'll be disappointed.

    Because I already beat that game. I'm glad they enjoyed it though.

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    RPG is whatever i say it is and anyone who disagrees should be sent to prison

    there problem solved

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    I love that FF Tactics is its own thing on that list. I want more FF Tactics in my life

    here are a few that are in that vein

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_BeibFTEDI
    Fae Tactics

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbiGZhjJvFo
    Fell Seal

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-z8TQLlCE8
    Wildermyth

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E2nZmiMqyk
    Wintermoor Tactics Club



    and a few upcoming ones:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vpJPnG_nA
    arcadian atlas

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPg9W4maaU
    live by the sword tactics

    Fell Seal is fun, and has fairly granular difficulty. I used it to flat out turn off the injury mechanic because at the default level it was easy but tedious to just game around. and I wasn't interested in the permanent options.

    Fae Tactics is neat and does some cool stuff with the menuless thing.

    WilderMyth is kind of a cool semirandomly generated thing. I played the demo at the last PAX South and picked it up on steam afterwards and put some hours into it.

    I'd also add to that list, Fort Triumph which has kind of physicsy thing going on where forced movement and knocking trees/rocks into enemies is a big thing. Maybe like Into The Breach in that respect.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    RPG is whatever i say it is and anyone who disagrees should be sent to prison

    there problem solved
    Are you an RPG cop? If so, you have to tell me.

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    RPG is whatever i say it is and anyone who disagrees should be sent to prison

    there problem solved
    Are you an RPG cop? If so, you have to tell me.

    i will tell you once i get you in your cell

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    But I just got out of horny jail...

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    But I just got out of horny jail...

    you never leave horny jail eyebrows eyebrows

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    But I just got out of horny jail...

    there is no escape from horny jail

  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    But I just got out of horny jail...

    there is no escape from horny jail
    Says you.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oi9gaMEDBs

  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm going to put a muzzle on my reflex to be snide and just reiterate my position every time this comes up that game genres are taxonomic more than categorical; a game can be multiple genres, in various degrees, as an animal can appear to have elements of multiple evolutionary branches. You cannot possibly create a verbal definition that someone cannot then interpret ad absurdam to apply it to games which neither the speaker intended nor a reasonable audience would accept. ("Dragon Quest IX is an action game, you see, because you move around and bump into the monsters in real time!") But the definitions clearly apply to some games more than others, and it's only once the definition applies to a certain point that we begin to say something is or is not any particular genre.

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm going to put a muzzle on my reflex to be snide and just reiterate my position every time this comes up that game genres are taxonomic more than categorical; a game can be multiple genres, in various degrees, as an animal can appear to have elements of multiple evolutionary branches. You cannot possibly create a verbal definition that someone cannot then interpret ad absurdam to apply it to games which neither the speaker intended nor a reasonable audience would accept. ("Dragon Quest IX is an action game, you see, because you move around and bump into the monsters in real time!") But the definitions clearly apply to some games more than others, and it's only once the definition applies to a certain point that we begin to say something is or is not any particular genre.

    ENJOY PRISON I GUESS

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If you were to pronounce RPG like it was one contiguous word instead of an acronym would you say it Rippig or Rippage

    I'd probly say Rippig

  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    If you were to pronounce RPG like it was one contiguous word instead of an acronym would you say it Rippig or Rippage

    I'd probly say Rippig

    Urpguh

  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmmm in situations like that my tendency is to insert a vowel at the beginning.. so depending on my mood I'd probably say aR-PeeG, or if I'm being silly. uR-PiG.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    If you were to pronounce RPG like it was one contiguous word instead of an acronym would you say it Rippig or Rippage

    I'd probly say Rippig

    The only good thing Yahtzee did was pronounce MMORPG as "muhmorpuhgah", so I'd probably pronounce RPG as "arpuhgah"

    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Arpeggi

  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ruppy-guhh.

  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Where I came from back in the 90s we used FRP (fantasy role playing) for the longest time, until the internet stamped RPG as the generally accepted term on everyone.

  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Where I came from back in the 90s we used FRP (fantasy role playing) for the longest time, until the internet stamped RPG as the generally accepted term on everyone.

    Ferp

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    At least RPG isn't as useless a tag on storefronts as Adventure

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Where I came from back in the 90s we used FRP (fantasy role playing) for the longest time, until the internet stamped RPG as the generally accepted term on everyone.

    Ferp

    only when I eat cauliflower

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    At least RPG isn't as useless a tag on storefronts as Adventure

    adventure just means point and click games

    y'know like quake

    where you point and click on enemies to kill them

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    At least RPG isn't as useless a tag on storefronts as Adventure

    adventure just means point and click games

    y'know like quake

    where you point and click on enemies to kill them

    My friends get mad when I call FPS games point and click adventures

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    text:
    Cyber Shadow early review scores

    NoisyPixel 9
    NintendoWorldReport 9
    Comicbook 4.5/5
    IGN 8
    Shacknews 8
    Push Square 8
    Game Informer 7.5
    Destructoid 7.5

    OC 80 (13 critics)
    https://opencritic.com/game/10837/cyber-shadow

    Out tomorrow (including Game Pass)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7-O4kX69pQ
    Cyber Shadow is Yacht Club's new game

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    Text:
    Nibel Retweeted
    Daniel Ahmad
    @ZhugeEX
    ·
    1h
    Gamestop stock up 125% thanks to r/wallstreetbets

    lmao

    haha money printer go brrrrr

  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Guess I just pre-ordered Cyber Shadow

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Meanwhile Gamestop itself continues to slowly die as it closes hundreds of stores, because stock prices are arcane bullshit with no relation to health of the company. I'm not even sure if its actual death would lower the price of stocks or if they'll just gain added value as shareholders barter over the corpse.

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

    Text:
    Nibel Retweeted
    Daniel Ahmad
    @ZhugeEX
    ·
    1h
    Gamestop stock up 125% thanks to r/wallstreetbets

    lmao

    haha money printer go brrrrr

    I really hope this results in an investment firm suing a subreddit for market manipulation

    I need that petty drama to live

This discussion has been closed.