As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will Grandpa Simpson Die

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking, "If I've seen a Simpsons episode since Frank Grimes Jr., I don't recall it." So I decided to look up when that episode aired.

2002. Jesus Christ, almost 20 years of Simpsons since I stopped watching new episodes.

I know that, "Dang, there's a lot of The Simpsons" is hardly a revolutionary viewpoint, but holy shit is there a lot of The Simpsons

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    No never
    q4boq0xfeajg.jpeg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I decided to watch all the Sideshow Bob episodes on Disney Plus and

Nobody should do that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    do like, people start watching the simpsons

did some kid start on season 28 and is just truckin' along from there

in my mind people that watch the simpsons are mostly just there because of inertia at this point

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    do kids watch tv now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

in my mind people that watch the simpsons are mostly just there because of inertia at this point

Ive never met a human being under 30 who actually watches. I showed clips to my neice and nephew( 9 and 6). He loved Krusty and she was shocked Krusty almost said Ass but neither wanted to watch a full episode

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    No never
    The last episode should be a complete nuclear catastrophe caused by Homer destroying the entirety of Springfield.

Strong "Dinosaurs" energy coming off of this suggestion.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    q4boq0xfeajg.jpeg

Woah, I knew it had been a long time since I watched it but this shows just how long. I think I tapped out just after Maude Flanders died.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Yes, when the show ends
    i have only seen the movie. i have no idea why, how, or even where i saw the movie.

it was forbidden to watch growing up because my mom thought it promoted bad values (???) or something.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yes, when the show ends

I could see it being a thing parents in their 30s introduce to their kids, but I would expect diminishing returns overall.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    No never
    the Simpsons is old people shit

It's the dad rock of prime time cartoons

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    No never
    Uriel wrote: »
    have they ever made an episode where gil strikes it rich somehow?

There is at least an okay b-plot in the idea of Gil finding an old computer hard drive full of Bitcoin.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Did anybody ever eat Bart's shorts

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yes, when the show ends

A cow, ironically

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No never
    So yes. There is an episode in one of the very late seasons that is an “homage” to Boyhood where Abe dies and it’s treated relatively seriously

• Options

Bender

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    No never
    sorry, it's how fucking long since Maude Flanders died......?

this passage of time thing is a fucker

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    No never

Adjusted for inflation, Homer’s 1996 income of $25,000 would be roughly $42,000 today, about 60 percent of the 2019 median U.S. income. But salary aside, the world for someone like Homer Simpson is far less secure. Union membership, which protects wages and benefits for millions of workers in positions like Homer’s, dropped from 14.5 percent in 1996 to 10.3 percent today. With that decline came the loss of income security and many guaranteed benefits, including health insurance and pension plans. In 1993’s episode “Last Exit to Springfield,” Lisa needs braces at the same time that Homer’s dental plan evaporates. Unable to afford Lisa’s orthodontia without that insurance, Homer leads a strike. Mr. Burns, the boss, eventually capitulates to the union’s demand for dental coverage, resulting in shiny new braces for Lisa and one fewer financial headache for her parents. What would Homer have done today without the support of his union?

The purchasing power of Homer’s paycheck, moreover, has shrunk dramatically. The median house costs 2.4 times what it did in the mid-’90s. Health-care expenses for one person are three times what they were 25 years ago. The median tuition for a four-year college is 1.8 times what it was then. In today’s world, Marge would have to get a job too. But even then, they would struggle. Inflation and stagnant wages have led to a rise in two-income households, but to an erosion of economic stability for the people who occupy them.

Someone I follow on Twitter, Erika Chappell, recently encapsulated my feelings about The Simpsons in a tweet: “That a show which was originally about a dysfunctional mess of a family barely clinging to middle class life in the aftermath of the Reagan administration has now become aspirational is frankly the most on the nose manifestations [sic] of capitalist American decline I can think of.”

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    No never
    For some reason I thought the simpsons has just been running reruns or clip shows for the last 20 years

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    No never
    For some reason I thought the simpsons has just been running reruns or clip shows for the last 20 years

no, money down!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    No never
    the thing that most people can agree on was that during its golden era, the simpsons was the best, funniest show on television

then over time the good writers left for other things and eventually it became this shambling husk of what it used to be

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    No never
    None of the Simpsons can truly die, for they line on forever within all of us, as well as syndication.

Edit: I saw a YouTube video once that had a theory I think might be at least partially correct: the Simpson's began declining because the writing room changed from comedians and writers working on a show to people who were big fans of the Simpson's who had this great idea when they were 12 for an episode.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    No never
    i have never watched a single episode of the simpsons from start to finish

i think the absolute closest i've gotten is seeing about half of the episode where homer gets tronn'd when it was done up as a 3D attraction at the universal studios theme park

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    do kids watch tv now

None that I know!

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    the thing that most people can agree on was that during its golden era, the simpsons was the best, funniest show on television

then over time the good writers left for other things and eventually it became this shambling husk of what it used to be

I honestly think if Disney moves it to plus exclusively and makes shorter seasons they could potentially have a really strong resurgence in quality. A big now flaw is they have less run time and have had to really fuck with the flow of the show.

No idea how you fix the hideous digital animation they use now

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you folks remember the simpsons?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

i think the absolute closest i've gotten is seeing about half of the episode where homer gets tronn'd when it was done up as a 3D attraction at the universal studios theme park

Missing out on a lot of really really good gags

Cept Disney + has it in the wrong aspect ratio so it isn't even easy to watch

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    No never

Missing out on a lot of really really good gags

Cept Disney + has it in the wrong aspect ratio so it isn't even easy to watch

They added an aspect ratio option ages ago

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ah I dont have Disney + so I am glad to hear they fixed it

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Would they recast Homer if Dan Castalanetta died
    didn't they threaten to recast everyone at one point after salary negotiations had gone south

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Would they recast Homer if Dan Castalanetta died
    didn't they threaten to recast everyone at one point after salary negotiations had gone south

Fox has at least once but Disney doesnt really do that.
    I assure you they have understudies for everyone. I imagine the New Carl was a good test for them going forward

I honestly hope Julie Kavner retires soon she sounds so bad as Marge it must really hurt her

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Adjusted for inflation, Homer’s 1996 income of $25,000 would be roughly $42,000 today, about 60 percent of the 2019 median U.S. income. But salary aside, the world for someone like Homer Simpson is far less secure. Union membership, which protects wages and benefits for millions of workers in positions like Homer’s, dropped from 14.5 percent in 1996 to 10.3 percent today. With that decline came the loss of income security and many guaranteed benefits, including health insurance and pension plans. In 1993’s episode “Last Exit to Springfield,” Lisa needs braces at the same time that Homer’s dental plan evaporates. Unable to afford Lisa’s orthodontia without that insurance, Homer leads a strike. Mr. Burns, the boss, eventually capitulates to the union’s demand for dental coverage, resulting in shiny new braces for Lisa and one fewer financial headache for her parents. What would Homer have done today without the support of his union?

The purchasing power of Homer’s paycheck, moreover, has shrunk dramatically. The median house costs 2.4 times what it did in the mid-’90s. Health-care expenses for one person are three times what they were 25 years ago. The median tuition for a four-year college is 1.8 times what it was then. In today’s world, Marge would have to get a job too. But even then, they would struggle. Inflation and stagnant wages have led to a rise in two-income households, but to an erosion of economic stability for the people who occupy them.

Someone I follow on Twitter, Erika Chappell, recently encapsulated my feelings about The Simpsons in a tweet: “That a show which was originally about a dysfunctional mess of a family barely clinging to middle class life in the aftermath of the Reagan administration has now become aspirational is frankly the most on the nose manifestations [sic] of capitalist American decline I can think of.”
    https://youtu.be/axHoy0hnQy8

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

https://youtu.be/axHoy0hnQy8

fuck you, pay me

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No never
    It would have been interesting if like 10 years ago they started aging the characters and letting the story move on in real time

Too late now.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Assuming the Simpsons will never end, how would you fix it so it could go back to its glory days?

Completely swap out the writers and focus on single story lines vs B and C plots would be my recommendation.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Assuming the Simpsons will never end, how would you fix it so it could go back to its glory days?

Completely swap out the writers and focus on single story lines vs B and C plots would be my recommendation.

end it

theres too many factors that made the simpsons good that will never be recaptured

the family and socio-economic dynamics that made it relatable and the culture of vast optimism simply do not exist anymore and zoomers and young millennials never even knew that life

• Options
    No never
    The problem the Simpsons has is they tried to adapt but only half.

So what they did was make the older fans not like it anymore because the humor changed but they didn’t update it enough for the times so the younger fans can’t relate to it.

It’s a show caught between generations that they just won’t let die because it still makes money on its name value alone.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    No never
    Also, anything interesting those characters could have possibly said or done has already happened a thousand times over. There's nothing left there and hasn't been for a while.

• Options
    No never
    I’m always of two minds when it comes to ending The Simpsons

On one hand. They’re beating a dead horse. I haven’t watched a new episode in its actual time slot in...20 years? It’s time to die.

On the other hand. I was 8 when it premiered on Tracy Ullman and 9 when it premiered as its own show. I’m 40 now. It’s just always been there for basically the entirety of my life and I’ll be sad when it goes.

It’s like when you have a family member on life support but they’re brain dead. You know they’re already gone but it still hurts to pull the plug.

• Options
    No never
    I’m not comparing The Simpsons to losing a loved one so I apologize to anyone who has been in that situation.

It just seemed like an apt description.