As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flash-Based Tabletop Simulation?

gregmitagregmita Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Critical Failures
A while ago there was a project being started (there was an acronym for a name) aimed at making a flash-based engine to simulate tabletop turn-based wargames. Does anyone know what happened to that? Does that project still exist? I thought it sounded interesting and wanted to join, but can't find any information about it.

gregmita on

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Valkun or someone else from the ShadowRun game mentioned they were a part of that. They also said something about it sorta trailing off into nothingness.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I believe you're referring to G.I.T.S., or the Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator.

It would be so wonderful if it were actually coded, but sadly all that was done was some of the graphics. I was trying to organize it, but it's pretty much outside the realm of possibility for me to make it myself. I tried to recruit a few people to program it, but I could never really get that off the ground, either. Mostly because I did not know enough programming to organize what people I did get that volunteered, and some of the volunteers were considerably busy with other things of importance.

Here's what's left of it. Sorry if my site's running a touch slow today, doing some stuff to it. I'd love to resurrect it, but I'm not particularly sure how. It seems like once it got past that initial barebones coding hump, it would be running, but we never quite made it.

Ein on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's a shame this seems to be stuck, it'd be awesome to see this project bear fruit. Perhaps some wonderful coder will read this thread and jump aboard?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Tactics 100 is the closest thing we've got for now.
    http://gamebrew.com/

It fuckin' rules though.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was put off from chipping in because by the time I had some spare hours lying about it had trailed off, and the free IDE hurt my brain and irritated me.

I really like doing flash in flash, and getting comfortable with the IDE would probably take longer than knocking something quick together on my own.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's really not all that complicated of a program considering that's its aim is to be as generic as possible. Personally, I was waiting for work to be handed out by Riemann but I may just go ahead and do it on my own in Java.

Valkun on
  • Options
    gregmitagregmita Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ahh, thanks everyone. GITS is exactly what I was thinking of. Too bad it has stalled then... Is anyone interested in starting it again? I'm a software developer, although what I do for a living is industrial automation stuff. I'm more familiar with traditional languages like C/C++ than AS3, but I can definitely learn.

gregmita on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    It's really not all that complicated of a program considering that's its aim is to be as generic as possible. Personally, I was waiting for work to be handed out by Riemann but I may just go ahead and do it on my own in Java.

If you do this, that would be awesome.

Mostly because I think getting something done that works is the main hump that we never cleared.

Ein on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I will still try and help.

I just want to be told what to do. :P I just haven't had time to learn AS3 yet.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Valkun wrote: »

Well, going for generic can often be the hardest of all because it leaves the user input section very wide open. Still a cool idea, and while I can't code for it I will watch it with interest.

AcidSerra on