As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread: Fauci's Return

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Got my second dose of Pfizer vaccine about 24 h ago.

Unfortunately I did not get 5G coverage. But I DID get this low grade (100.1) fever, an awful persistent headache, and body aches galore!

While I feel like hot garbage and hope this clears up soon, I'm pretty happy about it in the abstract.

so... there were a few hours whereI was like "wtf there wasn't enough pain with the shot, and no visible injection site. There's no blood on thos bandaid. Did I somehow not actually get vaccinated?"

never felt better about feeling like trash for a couple days.

There absolutely about 15-16 hours where I had no pain at the injection site, and I was feeling quite well.

And the only thing I could think about was "Wait - what if they left the syringes out at room temperature for too long?"

Then I popped a fever and I was like "Hooray! . . . Ow."

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm about 36 hours into my 2nd dose of Moderna. I took a nap earlier and that helped. I still have body aches but nothing's quite as sensitive as it was earlier today. My appetite has been fine. I don't think I was running much of a fever but I didn't actually check. Even after my nap earlier, I'm still feeling pretty tired so I'll probably be going to bed pretty early tonight. This is kind of unpleasant but I'd much rather feel kind of shitty for a couple of days than get COVID.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this the happy fun times COVID thread or what so don't want to kill the mood, but too bad..

No, we just did our 'viewing' today of my dad who died from COVID-19. Now to say he has some underlying conditions would be an understatement, with inoperable brain cancer topping that list.

But picked up COVID in the nursing home, then added a case of double pneumonia on top of that.

There was no great outcome for him, so we chose peace. MF'er still fought until the end.

So wear your masks people and maybe don't be so anxious to open schools and stores and nursing homes.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Didn't want to bring it up in the update thread, though that's where the thought occurred to me, but considering how vaccine availability equity is an ongoing point of discussion, and preliminary (?) tests seem to indicate that the vaccines are safe for younger folks (12-16, I believe), it'll be interesting to see the conversations had around countries vaccinating children while others struggle to keep up with demand in populations at higher risk.

Yes, I know, some of the new variants seem to hit younger folks harder than the original strain(s), and there are benefits to every last single person in a city, state, country, or continent getting a dose.

But when some states are opening the floodgates to kids while adults are still waiting elsewhere (even in other states), it's feasibly a point of contention. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it only widened some gaps in wealth disparity as those regions and nations that can pull it off end up with schools open and a workforce back in place while other nations/regions are still sitting in lockdown.

I don't fault anyone their shots, I have friends in the US getting theirs and I couldn't be happier. But the initial information shared about opening up the age brackets even further was sort of a 'wait...what?' moment. In, yes, a highly selfish/self centered manner, but even as an advocate of hitting a point where groups become less important than simply not wasting shots and getting needles in arms as fast as possible, and as much as I empathize with the plight of parents everywhere, that's a development I hadn't quite considered. That supply might be even further/longer held up as tens of millions of children/teenagers are potentially eligible. We went over the numbers not too long ago, and that could be a good ~150m+ doses. Great for American kids and schools, but I'd been kind of looking forward to the US not being quite such a vaccinational black hole in a few months.

Good science, good for protecting people, hoorah and all that, but hopefully my tired point is coming across. Life isn't fair, world isn't fair, etc, etc, maybe I'm just a bit touchy because my province is going into a 4 week quasi-lockdown (it's too long and stupid to get into) as we are approaching doubling our active cases nationwide because... I don't even care anymore, I'm just so very tired.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm very excited to be seeing my friends and family getting their shots.

And I know that for most of this, I've been living a blessed life in one of the best possible places and that's the reason why we're delaying our vaccine rollout so much.

But I would be lying if I wasn't just a little jealous of those getting their shots now.

I'm not eligible to even start looking for the shot until July.

Again, lucky Island in the Southern South Pacific.

But the jealousy is there

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Finally feeling good today. Phew that took longer than I wanted but I figure that means COVID would have done a number on me.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

True!

Me in 2020 : This pandemic sucks but at least we're not the USA, eh?

Me in 2021 : God dammit, I wish I was in the USA.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, if I didn't have untreated ankylosing spondylitis, I'd have gotten signed up for my shot already. Given a ton of people have mentioned having major soreness issues as a side effect and it sounds like it might be inflammation. Doesn't seem wise to get a the shot without first consulting with a doctor, when your chronic illness is your immune system causing unnecessary inflammation. My main issue is because of various issues, I've had to get on medicaid and boy am I seeing all the BS that republicans and their shitty allies have put into place to fuck people over (Yes, the GOP doesn't Virginia stuff anymore, but it takes time to unfuck all the fucking they've done. Fun one with VA is that the state site to help people find providers isn't very accurate and I'd argue the designer intentionally broke things so that if you enter an MCO, aka medicaid provider, you'll get zero returns for the MCO, even if there are people that take it. I've dealt with enough databases to know this shouldn't be happening and to conclude that it is intentional). Anyways, I have this hunch once I get everything squared away, I'm going to get told they want to get the AS under control first before I get the shot.

Really, my only advice for anyone with a chronic condition, is that you should check with your doc first to make sure there aren't going to be any issues. If there are, to check and see if you should still get this shot and if yes, what you need to do to minimize issues.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, if I didn't have untreated ankylosing spondylitis, I'd have gotten signed up for my shot already. Given a ton of people have mentioned having major soreness issues as a side effect and it sounds like it might be inflammation. Doesn't seem wise to get a the shot without first consulting with a doctor, when your chronic illness is your immune system causing unnecessary inflammation. My main issue is because of various issues, I've had to get on medicaid and boy am I seeing all the BS that republicans and their shitty allies have put into place to fuck people over (Yes, the GOP doesn't Virginia stuff anymore, but it takes time to unfuck all the fucking they've done. Fun one with VA is that the state site to help people find providers isn't very accurate and I'd argue the designer intentionally broke things so that if you enter an MCO, aka medicaid provider, you'll get zero returns for the MCO, even if there are people that take it. I've dealt with enough databases to know this shouldn't be happening and to conclude that it is intentional). Anyways, I have this hunch once I get everything squared away, I'm going to get told they want to get the AS under control first before I get the shot.

Really, my only advice for anyone with a chronic condition, is that you should check with your doc first to make sure there aren't going to be any issues. If there are, to check and see if you should still get this shot and if yes, what you need to do to minimize issues.

Hmm, not a doc but I also have a chronic immune inflammatory disease and the recommendation was to get it just as soon as I could. Even to the point that my doc wrote out a letter declaring it was a immune system compromising condition to bump up placement. Obviously, everybody should try and talk to an actual doctor but I'd be careful about your assumption there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

True!

Things are getting better there, but when I checked this week, cases per million population were still higher in the USA. Unfortunately for us in Canada , their trend line is going down while ours is skyrocketing.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    WTH Ontario? They went from 2,300 cases Wednesday to 3,000 Thursday and Friday. 71% variants....

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Bel and I are scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, 1st shot of Pfizer.

She got an appt 10min away, I am having to drive deep into Trump Country.

• Options
    WTH Ontario? They went from 2,300 cases Wednesday to 3,000 Thursday and Friday. 71% variants....

The variants are crushing Canadian provinces that didn’t aim for zero Covid. Frankly, the premiers and public Heath leadership of these provinces should all lose their jobs

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

The variants are crushing Canadian provinces that didn’t aim for zero Covid. Frankly, the premiers and public Heath leadership of these provinces should all lose their jobs
    Yep. The variants spread faster, so once they get any kind of foothold GG if you don’t lock down hard. Fortunately for me, Nova Scotia has been pretty good so far at treating the pandemic like a pandemic, and we’re holding firm so far on keeping restrictions in place. Like, today we had four new cases. Three were related to travel outside the region, one was a close contact of someone who travelled.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Over a thousand cases a day the last three days here in BC. Fuuuuck.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Pfizer jab get! Looking forward to my Bill Gates nanobots.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Pfizer jab get! Looking forward to my Bill Gates nanobots.

Get ready to hunt Ebay for a Zune.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Going to have to evaluate pulling my kid from daycare until I can get a shot (likely not for weeks) Brazil variant out of control in BC, and him being in daycare is our biggest exposure.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Going to have to evaluate pulling my kid from daycare until I can get a shot (likely not for weeks) Brazil variant out of control in BC, and him being in daycare is our biggest exposure.

Yeah since P1 has been wildfiring the province up, my wife has been doing all the shopping. She has had one shot, so she's less likely to pick it up from casual exposure than I am.

I mean if she gets it I'm fucked, no doubt, but this is the safest way.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    WGN wrote:
    CHICAGO — In a push for vaccine equity, a CTA vaccination bus will target areas where COVID-19 vaccination rates are low among seniors.

The “Protect Chicago” vaccination bus made its first stop at Atlas Senior Center, 1767 E. 79th St., and successfully vaccinated nearly 100 people.

The pilot program, created by the Chicago Department of Health in partnership with the CTA, is prioritizing seniors who live in zip codes with low vaccination rates.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/chicago-launches-cta-vaccination-bus/

And here I got my first shot walking into a Walgreens. How pedestrian of me.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

Yeah since P1 has been wildfiring the province up, my wife has been doing all the shopping. She has had one shot, so she's less likely to pick it up from casual exposure than I am.

I mean if she gets it I'm fucked, no doubt, but this is the safest way.

Yeah what a mess. It’s weird I haven’t felt all that worried for myself before, but my mother, mother in law, and wife have all had at least one dose so now I’m the only adult in our bubble without any protection.

I’m selfishly hoping my employer will come through with vaccines for our non frontline staff.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So a few days on now from the first dose of Pfizer and I'm definitely getting headaches. I've had em the last couple of nights, but I'd been attributing them to my contact lenses being old (honestly I get headaches ... more often than I'd like these days). But I've had a pretty annoying one most of the night tonight, so I'm gonna guess it's a mild side effect. I can manage it, but it's frustrating (and it makes me quite short tempered if I'm not paying attention).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Well, nearly 72 hours after my 2nd jab of Moderna and I'm feeling fine again. By last night most of the soreness had gone away and I was able to have a normal nights sleep. I'm really glad I took Friday off from work.

Now comes the final wait. I'm almost there. Just under 2 weeks to go.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    A new development on the variant front, a variant that was first observed in India that displays two point mutations on the spike protein emerged back in March. It is now being observed in the California Bay Area.
    Another new form of the coronavirus, whose emergence in India is coinciding with a surge in cases, has been detected in the San Francisco Bay Area by Stanford University.

One confirmed case and seven presumed cases of the Indian variant were found by Stanford’s Clinical Virology Laboratory, which has developed tests to detect the presence of viruses already spreading around the world. The cases involved Stanford patients.

“This demonstrates the rapid spread of this variant,” said Dr. Ben Pinsky, medical director of the laboratory.
    But the variant – dubbed “double mutant” by Indian media — carries two worrisome mutations in a key part of the virus which help it latch onto cells.

COVID-19 cases in India had been falling since September. But now an explosion of cases is occurring in the Maharashtra state, on India’s southwestern coast, which includes Mumbai. The region reported a 55% increase in this past week.

Authorities suspect a link between the variant and the surge, although there are yet no lab studies of transmissibility. An analysis of samples collected from the Maharashtra region showed a recent rise in viruses with the variant’s two mutations, E484Q and L452R.
    Dr. Kavita Patel, a fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington D.C., told CNBC that the Indian variant “is something to watch very closely, and something that will not be limited to India.”

“This double mutation… is incredibly serious,” said Patel, who served as a policy director in the Barack Obama administration. “It is probably just the tip of the iceberg in what we would worry about in Asia.”

It's too early to have firm data on changes in transmissibility or severity of this variant, nor information about how well existing vaccines will combat it. It is something to keep an eye on, though.

As of right now, I unfortunately can't find a name for the variant beyond "Double Mutant" - I'm still trying to find information on how the point mutations in this variant compare to the already known variants (I suspect this name may be sensationalistic, if technically accurate). Hopefully it gets a more scientific name soon.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mill wrote: »

This is a good idea. Ask your doctor. Different inflammatory conditions are different, and if you are unsure you should ask if the CDC site doesn't mention it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So a few days on now from the first dose of Pfizer and I'm definitely getting headaches. I've had em the last couple of nights, but I'd been attributing them to my contact lenses being old (honestly I get headaches ... more often than I'd like these days). But I've had a pretty annoying one most of the night tonight, so I'm gonna guess it's a mild side effect. I can manage it, but it's frustrating (and it makes me quite short tempered if I'm not paying attention).

Note that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine deaths were all preceded by several days of headaches. I would suggest you talk to your doctor if your headache lasts more than four days. Different vaccine, but still seems like a good idea.
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-people-with-headache-for-more-than-four-days-after-oxford-astrazeneca-jab-should-seek-medical-attention-says-uk-regulator-12249755

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

True!

It's ok, you still have the continental EU to look down upon.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://ktla.com/news/california/california-is-vaccinating-its-farmworkers-on-a-large-scale-by-taking-the-shots-to-where-they-live-and-work/

California was a bit slow to ramp, but doing shit like this, we're moving rapidly towards the front.
    California is vaccinating farmworkers on a large scale by taking the shots to where they live and work, protecting a population disproportionately hard hit by the pandemic. Advocates said an initial slow rollout in California has gained momentum in the past few weeks as the flow of vaccine increases and mobile clinics pop up at farms and food processing centers.

Farmworkers are particularly vulnerable because they live in crowded bunkhouses and eat together in dining halls. Those who toil outdoors often travel to the fields together in packed vans or buses. Others work in bustling packing warehouses.

At a recent event at the old headquarters of the United Farm Workers in Delano, a festival-like atmosphere featuring DJs and free food drew some 1,000 people from the Central Valley.

California was the first state to make agricultural workers eligible for vaccinations, followed by others including Washington, Michigan and Georgia. Arizona hasn’t prioritized farmworkers but some private growers have offered vaccinations. In Florida, the nation’s main citrus provider, farmworker advocates there have pushed to no avail to remove a residency requirement and to declare agricultural workers as essential.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/emergent-vaccine-jj-baltimore-plant/2021/04/03/25f7ade4-94e2-11eb-9668-89be11273c09_story.html
    Johnson & Johnson to take full control of its coronavirus vaccine production at Baltimore plant as AstraZeneca is relocated
    The Biden administration said Sunday that the country will have sufficient coronavirus vaccine doses to meet the president’s goal of enabling every adult in the United States to get immunized by the end of May, despite the contamination of millions of doses at a troubled Baltimore manufacturing facility.
    Meanwhile, the company that owns the plant, Emergent Bio­Solutions, may be allowed to retain some of its employees in making the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, as long as it relinquishes full control of the manufacturing and quality inspections, the official said. Emergent BioSolutions is a major government contractor.

The developments followed the news that a batch amounting to 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine were spoiled at the Emergent plant after being contaminated with ingredients for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The error was caught, and no contaminated vaccine left the plant, according to the companies involved. No doses had shipped because the plant has not yet been certified by the Food and Drug Administration as a manufacturer of coronavirus vaccine.
    For Emergent to spoil raw vaccine substance amounting to 15 million doses suggests a significant breakdown in quality control at early stages of manufacturing that should have been caught in subsequent steps, said John Avellanet, an FDA compliance expert who is managing director at the consulting firm Cerulean Associates.

If contamination had been detected earlier in the process, he said, it probably would have affected far less product. Johnson & Johnson had said last year that Emergent would be making vaccine in single-use, 1,000-liter bioreactor bags. The magnitude of this incident indicates that more than one bag’s product was probably affected, Avellanet said, adding that it was highly unusual for so much vaccine substance to be ruined in one incident.

I wonder how rare it is. I've worked with world-leading component manufacturers iterating on novel designs and I have seen them ruin plenty of a new product due to quality control fuckups while they're still nailing their process down. At this point I expect it for novel designs. I would have guessed vaccine manufacturing was similar. Ruining an entire run's worth of product would be unfortunate and recriminations would be had, but is something I've seen on multiple occasions now--granted in a different domain.

Orca on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Wife got the first show of the pfizer vaccine earlier today. We'll see how she feels tomorrow.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So I'll admit I haven't been super paying attention to things in the last... I don't know, six months? I got my first Pfizer vaccine shot a week ago, second is in two weeks. I read the supporting docs, I get that it doesn't prevent COVID but can make infections a lot less serious. How much can I get back to, like, hanging out with friends? Going out to movies? Going back to the damn gym? I'm immunosuppressed, so I've spent the last year in a cave, basically.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Short answer is basically wait for herd immunity in a couple more months.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    So I'll admit I haven't been super paying attention to things in the last... I don't know, six months? I got my first Pfizer vaccine shot a week ago, second is in two weeks. I read the supporting docs, I get that it doesn't prevent COVID but can make infections a lot less serious. How much can I get back to, like, hanging out with friends? Going out to movies? Going back to the damn gym? I'm immunosuppressed, so I've spent the last year in a cave, basically.

Wait awhile before you go back to truckin' and fuckin'

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

And pray that whatever new strains pop up haven't mutated enough to compromise or negate the protection the vaccines available offer.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

And pray that whatever new strains pop up haven't mutated enough to compromise or negate the protection the vaccines available offer.

So far they have not, and let's not encourage vaccine Eeyoreism (TM LGM).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Latest data I think is actually that it does prevent Covid. But it's not 100% effective of course, which is why you still need to take reasonable precautions

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

The CDC posted a thing a couple weeks back saying unmasked gatherings of fully vaccinated people, you in 4 weeks, are okay.

more details here:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Gyms and movies are probably a bit out.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    When it comes to the vaccines, think of it as an additional layer of protection - Not absolute immunity.

It's a good layer of protection, but it's not bulletproof. That means that every time you get exposed, you're rolling the dice. Chances might be good that you'll get a decent outcome, but you roll the dice frequently enough, and eventually it catches up with you.

The really good news is that early indications (which admittedly require more study) are that vaccinated individuals who get infected don't spread the infection as easily as non-vaccinated individuals. Which means that as more people get the vaccine, the latent level of the virus in the community drops, and your chances of having to roll those dice at all, become lower and lower.

Here's a pretty good explanation from the CDC about the rationale behind current public health guidance for vaccinated people. This part is particularly salient:
    The risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus. Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others. However, the benefits of relaxing some measures such as testing and self-quarantine requirements for travelers, post-exposure quarantine requirements and reducing social isolation may outweigh the residual risk of fully vaccinated people becoming ill with COVID-19 or transmitting the virus to others.

Emphasis on continued community transmission. It's not so much about "Am I vaccinated?" as it is about "What portion of my community is vaccinated? What is the level of viral transmission in my community?"

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

So far they have not, and let's not encourage vaccine Eeyoreism (TM LGM).

I'm sorta "given how slow the rollout is going globally, make use of it not being a thing while you can. While still be as responsible as possible."

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    IIRC, vaccination also makes COVID less severe if you do get it, so even if you're unlucky and catch it despite being vaccinated it won't be as rough and leave you with such long-lasting effects.

This discussion has been closed.