As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Best X-Man [chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have an odd feel like I'm unwillingly accelerating towards the point where 99% of my posts are just quoting Honk and then just putting italics around "Honk"

I should find this unfortunate but instead it's like I may have found my true calling in life.

Elf

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Going to repost this for all the people who wont look in the old chat thread

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Shadowcat. The best.
    I'm nearing the end of Xenoblade Chronicles and boy these tables just keep on turning

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I had a dream where all the 90's Disney cartoon shows had a team up starting with Ariel getting annoyed at Aladdin swimming down to take a special pearl from an oyster.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Shadowcat. The best.
    I had a dream where all the 90's Disney cartoon shows had a team up starting with Ariel getting annoyed at Aladdin swimming down to take a special pearl from an oyster.

:winky:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Nightcrawler. Awesome German swordfighter who will call you liebchen.

Did TaleSpin show up?

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

Did TaleSpin show up?

Baloo and Jasmine's Dad and Zeus were in a diving bell of some sort. I don't know why.

• Options
    This team up also included an animated Mary Poppins taking Ariel around London?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

:winky:

LOL

BAD RAVEN BAD

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Did TaleSpin show up?

Baloo and Jasmine's Dad and Zeus were in a diving bell of some sort. I don't know why.

Because they can't breathe underwater otherwise

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My roommate taught me to make gumbo last night and it's like, one of the best things I've ever done with my life

• Options

Did TaleSpin show up?

Genie could have solved this problem

But why didn't he?

Maybe it was subconscious grief for Robin Williams :(

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I have an odd feel like I'm unwillingly accelerating towards the point where 99% of my posts are just quoting Honk and then just putting italics around "Honk"

I should find this unfortunate but instead it's like I may have found my true calling in life.

Goose detected

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    My roommate taught me to make gumbo last night and it's like, one of the best things I've ever done with my life

What protein(s)?

• Options
    Also Zeus probably could have gone out regardless, being immortal and all that

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

What protein(s)?

kielbasa, chicken, and shrimp

• Options

Did TaleSpin show up?

Genie could have solved this problem

But why didn't he?

Maybe it was subconscious grief for Robin Williams :(

Who do you think gave them the diving bell

Like if you cry every tym 💔💔💔

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    seeing finance bros use “and first they came for” is very fuckin’ funny

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    seeing finance bros use “and first they came for” is very fuckin’ funny

Especially today of all days

Not 'haha' funny, obviously, more 'get fucked' funny

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Shadowcat. The best.
    the gamestop thing is funny as shit and it grows exponentially funnier every time a wall street guy is like "this isn't funny it's serious!!"

• Options
    "The wrong people are getting rich! Stop demonstrating how easy this is!"

If Reddit cared enough to continue, couldn't they just keep an eye out and fuck over every stock shortening plan from now on? It seems like they worked it out this time using public knowledge

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

He isn't really correct about what a hedge fund is, or what it's for

Hedge funds are "gambling" in the same sense that insurance companies are

The fact that a particular hedge fund or funds are being fucked by the WSB option trades is a function of the fact that they left themselves exposed to a risk that either isn't reflected in their hedging strategy or isn't adequately mitigated (that is, they assessed the potential impact of this scenario incorrectly)

The funds suffering could have trivially avoided this by not shorting in excess of float, which would have influenced the price of the options WSB are buying

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    BAMF my homies

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think they already switched to AMC.

Switched is the wrong word.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    My favorite X-Man is Shikimaru

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Gotta be honest, I'm getting slightly worried that the Gamestop shenanigans are just going to wind up leaving retail investors out of pocket somehow

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, I'm getting slightly worried that the Gamestop shenanigans are just going to wind up leaving retail investors out of pocket somehow

Gamestop was already on a slow decline accelerated by Covid. That's what the shorters were banking on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    the gamestop thing is funny as shit and it grows exponentially funnier every time a wall street guy is like "this isn't funny it's serious!!"

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021

Some folks are definitely going to get burned, but this is probably a much needed, highly visible expose into just how fucked the market has been behaving, and I hope it leads to reform.

With folks like Elizabeth Warren ascendant and Dems holding both chambers and the presidency, and now that this is extending past gamestop and into bed bath and beyond, AMC theaters, etc... this could grow large enough to become actual national discourse and some new market regulations.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021
    Simply put, they need to figure out a mechanism to make betting against the success of the business illegal, or at least not financially viable. The entire shorting mechanism has perverse incentives and is rife for abuse. And its an incredibly powerful way to leverage negative insider info to profit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Oh my god that dumb fucking Juggernaut Doom has "DOOM" on his fucking knuckles he's so fucking stupid.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The first day of a new job sucks. But also I am now just hyperaware of every interaction I have, because really I'm doing an aggressive surveil as to whether it won't work out like my last job.

• Options

Some of them are going to lose out. What's happening to the hedge funds is that they have to close out their short positions by a certain date (by buying gamestop stock). The only reason that the price keeps accelerating is that there is a critical mass of retail investors buying up short options. If that slows, or enough of the retail investors cash out, the bubble bursts, the price returns to normal, and the hedge funds close out their shorts without massive losses

The reason you're seeing things like people pumping billions into the distressed funds is that they are assuming that the critical mass will dissipate before the short positions come due. For the likes of Melvin capital, they were wrong about that and those funds are now turbofucked

All that said, the retail investors can only be out the money they put in. Their worst case is that they have paid for an option contact that is now useless. The hedge fund's potential losses are theoretically limited only by the price of the stock they shorted, meaning they could have put in relatively small amounts of money but be on the hook for very large amounts of money.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Gamestop was already on a slow decline accelerated by Covid. That's what the shorters were banking on

I mean the people who are buying Gamestop shares right now because it's basically free money.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I'd ask if you meant "now" now but then again I was saying people better pull the ripcord to break even after buying at $100 and man that initial buy aint looking like a bad decision anymore.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

I mean the people who are buying Gamestop shares right now because it's basically free money.

Oh yeah, those people are going to get rinsed when the music stops

However again, the risk is only what you bought in with from a retail investor perspective

Worth considering that the WSB types are not buying gamespot stock, they are buying option contracts because those have a multiplier effect of causing brokers and funds to buy gamespot stock to cover their positions, so buying $100 worth of long options on gamespot drives up the stock price more than buying $100 of stock

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Shadowcat. The best.
    X-Cats

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    it would be very funny if a subreddit that talks about tendies lead to national reform

• Options
    Despite never directly dealing with stocks I have a mild FOMO going on, but I'm telling myself the train's already left the station.

This discussion has been closed.