As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    putting one of the nightengale's bits on an action base feels like it would be so excessive though for such a tiny piece, far more base than model

Well the action base 4 and 5 come with a couple little extra arms. Got my crystal Unicorn's shield on one, since you can't attach it to the Unicorn's arm with the crystal bits pokin out

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Well the Zaku is going well though I broke the end piece of the gun, and in the process of trying to fix it I broke it further. But at least that’s just an accessory and not part of the model itself.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I keep hearing about the fingernail trick for stressed plastic and yet I have no idea how it works or how to do it right. Like... do you use the large plane surface of your fingernail, or the edge of your fingernail?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My Super Nova Sandrock arrived! When I bought it, GMC was offering $2 shipping which in retrospect was surely a mistake - the day after they sent mine it was increased to $10. It was shipped March 1st, vanished into the ether, seemed to return to China on April 9th, was back in the US on April 12th and finally got delivered yesterday. I expected it to be banged up to shit, but it arrived in pristine condition!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I keep hearing about the fingernail trick for stressed plastic and yet I have no idea how it works or how to do it right. Like... do you use the large plane surface of your fingernail, or the edge of your fingernail?

Use the edge, press down firmly and kind of treat it like an eraser.

Plastic whitens when it gets stretched. What you're doing is removing that stretching by compressing the area where it deformed.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Looks like the millennium puzzle is getting a US release:

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    for those who’ve done premium Bandai, when do they do the charge your payment? At preorder or closer to shipping?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    for those who’ve done premium Bandai, when do they do the charge? At preorder or closer to shipping?

At preorder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I am excited for the millennium puzzle but I think I’m almost more excited for the fact that it’s apparently the start of an entire line of prop stuff, and wondering what all Bandai will release in that Ultimagear line

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hoo boy

Hazenthley II shipped

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I feel very seen by today's Penny Arcade strip.
    Like they've been looking at my purchase history, and are judging me.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2021/04/23/

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *cough*

They are both more and less expensive than my Lego, thank you very much.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    *cough*

They are both more and less expensive than my Lego, thank you very much.

I just spent two hundred bucks on the new Lego Space Shuttle.
    I think my most expensive gunpla was around 60.

There's no contest in my case.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Where do people tend to order their gunpla from? I remember right around the beginning of the year, the local department/grocery store had a bunch out in the middle of the aisle, and I was tempted, but when I went back it turns out they aren't selling them any more. But I'd still kind of like to have one to put on my desk at work...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Local hobby shops if they are doing orders during the pandemic, Usagundamstore.com, gundamplanet.com have been my go-tos

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I feel very seen by today's Penny Arcade strip.
    Like they've been looking at my purchase history, and are judging me.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2021/04/23/

Oh shit they're on to me!

For real though I just finished #2 and and waiting on #3, which was *technically* the first one I ordered, but it ended up doing a lap in GA.

• Options
    Someone mentioned before that they wanted the Nillsen Works PG Gundam Astray. Gundam Model Center currently has the Blue Frame + Weapons up for $122 + $20 for shipping.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hoo boy

Hazenthley II shipped

Mine just got delivered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Where do like 90% of these models come from? I realize I haven't seen even 10% of Gundam, but I feel like the anime I have seen have a giant list of models I've never seen before.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Some of the models come from background shots where the mecha itself got maybe 5 seconds of screen time. There are also manga, side stories, OVAs, etc.

• Options
    Is it weird that I feel like the ones that come from media I haven't seen are less interesting to own, even if they look way cooler?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is it weird that I feel like the ones that come from media I haven't seen are less interesting to own, even if they look way cooler?

I feel the same way. I haven't seen much media, but it really helps if you have an attachment to the model.

Which is why I'm wondering if I should get the MG Wing Zero Ver Ka that was just released..

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    a bunch of the kits i collect are from stuff that's 1) not animated and 2) not translated soooooooo

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Are most Bandai products single runs, or do they regularly produce more of them? The RG Tallgeese looks really cool, but is out of stock.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I collect solely by "do I like this?"

This might mean I get a suit from a show that I liked, or piloted by a character I liked.

This might mean I get a suit that I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with, just cause it looks neat.

Are most Bandai products single runs, or do they regularly produce more of them? The RG Tallgeese looks really cool, but is out of stock.

The answer here is yes. More popular kits, or kits from recent shows tend to get continuously made. Less popular kits get a single production run. Kits made for the Premium Bandai line generally only get as many copies as there are preorders for.

• Options
    I collect solely by "do I like this?"

This might mean I get a suit from a show that I liked, or piloted by a character I liked.

This might mean I get a suit that I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with, just cause it looks neat.

The answer here is yes. More popular kits, or kits from recent shows tend to get continuously made. Less popular kits get a single production run. Kits made for the Premium Bandai line generally only get as many copies as there are preorders for.

I'm not going to be shelling out for the Premium kits in any nearby reality. Kids are expensive.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    RG tallgeese is a retail kit, if one site doesn't have it you can probably still find it somewhere

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Bandai reprints every retail release. Sometimes it may be years between reprints, but it will happen eventually.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I am personally lusting after an RG Astray Red Frame kit I window-shopped at USA Gundam. I have no idea what that Gundam is from; it just looks great.
    I enjoyed the HG kits I've done so far, but they were done too quickly, so I'm grabby to get into RGs or MGs.

R-dem on
  • Options
    I'm worried RG, or especially MG would be biting off more that I can chew (and for the MG, maybe too big for my desk at work), but I feel like the HG models always look like they are missing too much detail.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I may be underestimating my own model-building skills but RG kits aren't that bad in terms of difficulty, except for all the little tiny fucking decal stickers god damn it.
    If you're not worried about applying all the decals and panel lining everything, they're pretty quick and fun! Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully. For the RG Tallgeese I remember there being one part I put in in the wrong orientation and had to pry a few pieces apart to fix it when I noticed a few steps later, in the first step of the chest assembly.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I'm worried RG, or especially MG would be biting off more that I can chew (and for the MG, maybe too big for my desk at work), but I feel like the HG models always look like they are missing too much detail.

Defintly start with a couple HGs, or try an RE100/Full Mechanics kit. Best to cut your teeth on something easier, and more importantly, cheaper.

Also some more recent HGs are pretty good on the detail front. Anything from The Origin is pretty greebly, you just gotta get the ol' panel lining pen out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The RG Astray (and most of the early RGs) should only be $25-30, or about $5 more than a comparable HG. I haven't build any of the HG The Origin kits, but I have heard a ton of good things about the Zaku IIs and the RX-78-2.

If you want a simple and inexpensive MG to dip your toe in, look at the MG Ball Ver Ka.

If you like Wing Gundam, they have recently released the HG Leo and are releasing the main suits in modern HGs, and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

If you like the Astray, I would recommend starting with the MG Astray Red Frame over the RG. The RG has a problem with the waist separating and being a bit fiddly.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Welp, I'll have this in September. Thanks a pantload @Lasbrook

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Oh no thanks

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Given how much rice can look/feel like plastic, that seems like a really, really bad idea.

But hey, I'm sure someone saw the cup noodles and thought they could top it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    No tweet about it yet, but hey lookit what's up for pre-order on Peeb;

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2547298001001

Full Mechanics Freedom Gundam based on the new 1:1 statue in China! Presumably these will be sold at the new Gundam Base that the statue adorns.

Pretty tempted to order this one - seems unlikely I'll ever actually get to go visit it in person, and it's a weird little curio if nothing else.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I stopped into a random hobby shop I passed by today and they had, of all things, a PG Astray Red Frame Kai just chilling on the shelf.

I managed to walk away, but y'all that was physically painful.

This discussion has been closed.