As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I imagine the HG version of the kit will be nothing but safety flags, like on the V-fins.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Japanese P Bandai is releasing this Maneuver Striker pack for the upcoming MG Eclipse Gundam kit

6drdf6tpji3f.jpeg

ei38ngz5tu5t.jpeg

c5g880fhyj39.jpeg

6gm4epnb2ntv.jpeg

Honestly this might be the first time I’ve been excited by a CE unit design since the Astray. It’s just fucking wild as hell and I can’t shake the impression it’s riffing on the Xi and maybe a bit of the F91 in its design ethos

*sigh* how much does it cost...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    turtleant wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Japanese P Bandai is releasing this Maneuver Striker pack for the upcoming MG Eclipse Gundam kit

6drdf6tpji3f.jpeg

ei38ngz5tu5t.jpeg

c5g880fhyj39.jpeg

6gm4epnb2ntv.jpeg

Honestly this might be the first time I’ve been excited by a CE unit design since the Astray. It’s just fucking wild as hell and I can’t shake the impression it’s riffing on the Xi and maybe a bit of the F91 in its design ethos

*sigh* how much does it cost...

3300 Yen for the striker pack; also compatible with the Strike MG or any other SEED kits that use that connector?

If memory serves the main kit is a standard release; still not quite sure why it’s released an MG first before even an HG is announced

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh my god... that kit.. hits ALL of my buttons.

I thought I was getting out of MGs...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Ok that's not to bad.

I've already got the Eclipse preordered so in for a penny and all that.

edit: man that rear shot has huge Xenogears energy.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Finally finished one arm, might have gotten both but these wires. Even with the dalong guide, the official instructions and a video I couldn’t get those shoulder wires to route in any way that actually ever stays in place as soon as you extend the arm out.
    Either way, with one arm done you know what I had to do.
    cqkquFvh.jpg

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Do you have the back panels in place? Because it took installing those to get the wires to stay in place for me. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Are you talking about the wires you jam into the back of the chest? I don’t have the back plates on yet but the dalong method of routing those wires around and into the shoulder joint seems to work well. The wires I’m having a problem with are the ones in the arm/shoulder pad connection.

• Options
    I am likely misremembering.

AbgRszel.jpg

vkioZobl.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

new gelgoog just dropped

i look forward to getting a pbandai version in ten years

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bandai, please give us some MG kits of Zeon suits from between 0079 and CCA. I'm begging you.

Or at least reprint all the aquatic Zeon MG kits.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bandai, please give us some MG kits of Zeon suits from between 0079 and CCA. I'm begging you.

MG Dandelion would be my dream unit. It's basically a prototype Baund Doc built around a prototype Marasai.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

MG Dandelion would be my dream unit. It's basically a prototype Baund Doc built around a prototype Marasai.

*looks up the Dandelion*

Wow I've heard the expression "chicken walker" before but this is ridiculous

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

new gelgoog just dropped

i look forward to getting a pbandai version in ten years

I'd like it more if it had a smaller gun and bigger shield (closer to traditional Gelgoog models), but the MS itself does look pretty cool.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    It is extremely derived from the Sazabi. Which is a good thing.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ooh, think that fancy spiky backpack sold me on the Eclipse. If I can get the backpack, will grab the Gundam later...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh hey, my latest package came in: A bag of glass shards!

ib1zzIPh.jpg

DtpfUyTh.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Huh...
    Some assembly required, I guess.

• Options
    Honestly, the pictures on Amazon made me think it would be a plastic pot for my airbrush, but in retrospect I guess it makes sense that it would be glass.

On the plus side, I bet all the hardware and plastic bits are fine, and the glass should be replaceable. Amazon can't replace the item so they are issuing a refund. And at the end of the day it was like $11 anyways.

• Options
    In today's build report, disaster.

I completed the other arm without much fuss considering I had just done all of that. I started on the head excited to have the body complete except for the backpack. So for touch ups on the gold bits I had been using a gold gundam paint marker, at one point I had the fins closed and was trying to touch up a part near the base and I guess the mix was off because some of it leaked down in between and stripped the gold coating off so I had to touch that up too. Anyways maybe people see how i've fucked up already but I continued on to the head assembly. I was real worried about the head LED since it's just a bare circuit board and the instructions say be careful not to damage it. It's fairly uneventful so I get to the point where I'm putting the V fin in the head and one of the grey bits that attaches it and facilitates rotation snaps.
    39BN9jdh.jpg

Turns out you should not get paint markers on ABS (I still had the grey pieces attached and the one that snapped did get fairly coated). Also while typing this I looked and the V-fins are ABS as well. Greeeeaaaaat, since I happened to mess up the base I'm real worried about snapping them off at some point now.

But hey, the magnet mechanic is cool!

• Options
    I am completely baffled why gunpla markers are made using thinners that will damage ABS

Like I figured their point was to be the most beginner friendly way of painting kits, which this seems to kind of undermine

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Lasbrook, my friend..
    I spent so much of page 35 talking about the perils of using different kinds of paints on this gunpla, and also in the Nextlander chat! I tried to warn youuuuuu!!!! *Cries*

Honestly? Given how important that piece is, reach out to Bluefin and see if they can replace it. And if not, ask around if anyone has replacement parts or something in the gunpla building community.

You got this!

Edit: The markers have very clear markers saying not to use on ABS.... In Japanese.

Edit2: I could also try to send you the ABS plastic cement I'm theoretically supposed to be getting in soon, maybe that would fix it...

Athenor on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    This week my local store got in a couple Penelope kits. They may need to clear off some more shelves if my friend wants to display his after he builds it.

Meanwhile, a little robot birdie showed up on my doorstep today. And by doorstep I mean I caught the UPS truck right as I was leaving for the bus.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Lasbrook, my friend..
    I spent so much of page 35 talking about the perils of using different kinds of paints on this gunpla, and also in the Nextlander chat! I tried to warn youuuuuu!!!! *Cries*

Honestly? Given how important that piece is, reach out to Bluefin and see if they can replace it. And if not, ask around if anyone has replacement parts or something in the gunpla building community.

You got this!

Edit: The markers have very clear markers saying not to use on ABS.... In Japanese.

Edit2: I could also try to send you the ABS plastic cement I'm theoretically supposed to be getting in soon, maybe that would fix it...

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really paid attention to what types of material gunpla are. To make it weirder not all the gold sprues are ABS! Granted that wouldn’t have helped with the piece that broke. Really wish they had included a spare set.

I just had to break one of the showiest parts of the kit too.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Lasbrook, my friend..

You got this!

I’ll be honest, I’ve never really paid attention to what types of material gunpla are. To make it weirder not all the gold sprues are ABS! Granted that wouldn’t have helped with the piece that broke. Really wish they had included a spare set.

I just had to break one of the showiest parts of the kit too.

Come hell or high water, I will do what I can to get ya hooked up. :) Unless you don't want me too.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Are the runners marked so I can tell what is ABS?

• Options
    Yeah the runners usually indicate what type of plastic they are with an abbreviation. ABS runners should have ABS on them somewhere

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    usually printed next to the runner letter I think?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Also usually in the manual at the front, it'll list the material of each runner

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah you can usually see them on the backside of the flat tabs on runners

more recent kits are also pretty good about having the runner types labeled in the manual, too

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Yeah checking, ABS runners will have ABS in a kind of punch out style of font.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    So Lanz hit me up and sent me this site they found that sells replacement parts/runners. They don’t have any PG Banshee parts listed(I’ll probably try and contact them tomorrow to see if maybe they have anything not listed) but thankfully the Unicorn is like 80% the same kit. Down to the fact that the sheet name and numbers match up for the parts I need. Hell, they probably just sent me this one.

https://mechapartsguy.com/pg-unicorn-runner-n-single-piece/

I can’t find any reviews outside of their Facebook page but it’s cheap enough and I paid through PayPal so I figure the risk is minimal.

• Options
    I've used them! They're great.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Awesome! That got recommended to me last night too.

Yeah, that makes sense. The fin/crest is unique, but all the other parts are shared. So as long as the crest isn't damaged, you should be fine.

• Options
    @Lanz the good news is that the V-fin is going to be fine. The main point of failure due to the thinner is on stressed parts. The reason for this is that the thinner doesn't have much penetration into ABS plastic, so really only the surface is made brittle. But on a stressed part, the surface is under tension, so you get micro-cracks. The thinner can then get into the cracks and make the root brittle, which allows it to crack more. This cycle of flow and cracking is what leads the parts to fail.

For your V-fin, the thinner has already evaporated. So while the surface may be brittle and develop non-visible micro cracks, they won't propogate through the part.

• Options
    I assume that was for me, thanks for the info.I’m definitely less depressed about it now that I have replacements for the grey pieces that let it swivel. I wasn’t worried about the fin breaking immediately but rather at some point down the line. There would be a non-zero amount of stress on it though. The magnets that hold the fin closed are pretty decent and they’re closer to the tip whereas I damaged it closer to the base. I feel like I could see that causing problems if I’m not careful. But I guess with the way the forces are going it would be more of a problem if I had painted the outside?

I dunno, I’m no physics major.

Either way, I would still like to get a replacement V-fin and either live with the nub marks or use actual paint I guess? But it’s not an immediate concern.

Fake edit: I just got an email from mecha parts guy that they do have a PG Banshee inbound but 2 people already have first dibs and one might be after the A runner as well. @Athenor there’s a good chance they’ll have the part you were going to fix too but they say since it’s their first listing of this kit they’re only going to sell full runners, not individual pieces.

• Options
    I was just thinking the same thing. I'd be fine buying the full runner, but given that it's used for a ton of the Banshee's inner frame, I would be surprised. I'll investigate though!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Where do people go to check which kits are good?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You ask in here. What kits are you thinking about?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Where do people go to check which kits are good?

dalong.net has images of runners, instructions, stickers, decals

and images of snapped-together kits with some panel lining. It's like the opposite of the official cool painted promo images

This discussion has been closed.