As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

16263646567

Posts

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I just use the box.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I just figured it might be like doing Legos. My family has a group Lego building contest every year for Christmas, and my wife and I usually crush everyone else.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 20
    It pretty much is like legos
    Edit: oh you mean in terms of organizing the pieces, yeah no it's not like legos :P don't dump the parts in a pile, you will never figure out how to put it together without referencing the part numbers on the sprues listed in the instructions.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Dark Raven X
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The oldest kits, like the Zoids from the 80s, will have their part number in them. Modern kits absolutely do not do that. So unless you know roughly where they came from (and more importantly, how to recognize them in the assembly instructions), leave them on the sprues until absolutely the last moment.

    He/Him
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I have never found a sprue organizer that I actually like. I have taken to just using the box itself (usually the lid) to stand the sprues upright.

    That is not to say I don't want one. I just can't seem to find one that holds things securely while being flexible enough for the variety of sprues I work with.

    I do the same thing. Considering I build models that can have from 3 to 50 sprues, has to be easy to work with, has to fit into my work space, etc, it doesn't work out. The box the model came in is always the right size to stand up the sprues, though, so I find leaning the sprues and flipping through works pretty well.

    Then when you're almost done and go to pick up a sprue to snip the last piece off, it gets tangled in all of the other sprues with only a handful of pieces and you end up with sprue spaghetti.

    AthenorBahamutZERO
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    The one picture I saw that looked cool had a bunch of those curled cord bracelet type things, with alligator clips, hanging from a bar, so you could pull the sprue down, clip out the part, and then let it go back up.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    It has begun.

    x1r3vg23taz7.jpg

    Also, ofc, I open the bags and one piece is just chilling. Eventually found it's spot, took a picture of the piece and wrote the sprue/location on the picture.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    AthenorNytewarriorBahamutZEROIanatorHefflingDark Raven XMelonTronTNTrooperDarkPrimusShadowfireBetsuniArcSynTonkkaMidniteironsizide
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Enjoy! You look very well prepared.

    He/Him
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 21
    Apparently, letting my 4 year old daughter hold the piece that fell off while she stood next to the box was a poor choice. After 5 minutes of pretending it's a truck driving around the coffee table, she set it down for 2 seconds and it was lost for like 5 minutes.

    Edit: Also, I think I'm spending way too much time panel lining parts you will never see.

    Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    DelduwathDark Raven XIanatorMelonTronTNTrooperBetsuniMechMantis
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Apparently, letting my 4 year old daughter hold the piece that fell off while she stood next to the box was a poor choice. After 5 minutes of pretending it's a truck driving around the coffee table, she set it down for 2 seconds and it was lost for like 5 minutes.

    Edit: Also, I think I'm spending way too much time panel lining parts you will never see.

    I always wait and panel line once I have a section done, like a whole leg or the torso and such.

    I used to just go back and do it after it was fully put together but I had a real hard time working up the willpower to do that

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I spent like, 3 hours, and got two feet done. Also managed to cut thumb on the second to last sprue nub.

    hxmfjt8akggt.jpg

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    Dark Raven XIanatorBetsuniNytewarriorturtleantDelduwathTNTrooperHefflingCurly_BraceArcSynironsizide
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    the hi-nu is a hefty lad, even at 1/144 scale

    some recent lalaport gundam pics:



    they're gonna finish building this thing before i finish my barzam, aren't they..

    Probably needs nippers the size of a bus.

    ePITGr0.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there a video out there along the lines of, "so you are about to open your first GUNPLA kit, here is shit to watch out for/tips"?

    Edit: I guess, I'm sure these exist, is there a good one anyone in the thread might specifically recommend.

    I just did my first gunpla last month, and I'm working on my second one. I know I've learned some things and still have to learn others, but what is fresh in my mind are these:

    1: Runners are labeled in letters and pieces in numbers. Organize your runners in alphabetical order to make it easy to find things. That way you're less likely to snip C3 when it is asking for A3.

    2: Look carefully at where the runner meets the part you are removing. Most of the time it ends in a triangle-like bit that minimizes the point of contact. This is important to note for those pieces where they have nubs or stubs of plastic that are supposed to remain. Double check the shape and look of the part you are removing in the manual.

    3: If you can't easily reach the thinnest part to cut it, feel free to cut the runner and then remove the piece afterwards. Caution, sometimes it clips and sends bits flying, so hold onto them to prevent bends or having them fling across the room.

    4: Install Google Translate app on your phone. It can be helpful for deciphering a particularly interesting instruction.

    5: Don't sweat your first gunpla. Grabbing a cheap HG or entry-grade will help keep you from regretting a mistake too much. It's not just about completing the model, but also the journey of building it. Don't feel rushed.

    Uh... My RG Hi-Nu arrived in the mail... so this will be exciting?

    OH man, jealous! I wanted to grab one of those for my next build. Haven't yet. Going to panel line this RG Wing instead first.

    VvG2Mux.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    I picked up my second Koubu:
    7snhp98vkev9.png

    Just waiting on a Kohran and the trifecta will be complete.

    ePITGr0.png
    AthenorBetsuniIanatorDark Raven X
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    the hi-nu is a hefty lad, even at 1/144 scale

    some recent lalaport gundam pics:



    they're gonna finish building this thing before i finish my barzam, aren't they..

    Probably needs nippers the size of a bus.

    0e58c7467cebad6fcc43de2bba4ec3fe.jpg

    cj iwakuraturtleantBrodyAthenorDarkPrimusBetsuniTNTrooperIanatorBahamutZEROironsizideTonkkaDark Raven XShadowfireMidniteCurly_Brace
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I picked up my second Koubu:
    7snhp98vkev9.png

    Just waiting on a Kohran and the trifecta will be complete.

    What's in the Lain boxes? Figures?

    VvG2Mux.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I picked up my second Koubu:
    7snhp98vkev9.png

    Just waiting on a Kohran and the trifecta will be complete.

    What's in the Lain boxes? Figures?

    Insanely rare dolls. Got them many, many years ago.

    8507crna5vcg.png

    ePITGr0.png
    BahamutZEROArcSynHefflingDark Raven XCurly_BraceShadowfire
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I picked up my second Koubu:
    7snhp98vkev9.png

    Just waiting on a Kohran and the trifecta will be complete.

    What's in the Lain boxes? Figures?

    Insanely rare dolls. Got them many, many years ago.

    8507crna5vcg.png

    Wow. I enjoyed that series way back in the early 99-00s. Friend of mine bought it on DVD as he could find it.

    Anyway, on topic hoping to finish the wings for my RG Wing EW tomorrow.

    VvG2Mux.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Folks, I seem to recall that either in this iteration of the thread, or maybe the previous one, there was some recommendation for a lamp a few folks like using for model-building. If I remember correctly, it was:
    - LED
    - Mounted on an adjustable arm
    - Was round with a magnifying glass in the middle (so you could position it between the model kit and your face, to magnify and illuminate the parts you're wokring with)
    - I think it had a desk clamp on the other end
    - There was an Amazon link to it

    I'm thinking I need a new lamp, because the ceiling-mounted one above my desk generates as much heat as a miniature sun, and I need a shower after sitting under it for an hour. The vague memory of the lamp seems to fit my needs; does my description ring any bells for anyone? Or, does anyone have any other (non-heat-generating) lamps they like to use?

  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Folks, I seem to recall that either in this iteration of the thread, or maybe the previous one, there was some recommendation for a lamp a few folks like using for model-building. If I remember correctly, it was:
    - LED
    - Mounted on an adjustable arm
    - Was round with a magnifying glass in the middle (so you could position it between the model kit and your face, to magnify and illuminate the parts you're wokring with)
    - I think it had a desk clamp on the other end
    - There was an Amazon link to it

    I'm thinking I need a new lamp, because the ceiling-mounted one above my desk generates as much heat as a miniature sun, and I need a shower after sitting under it for an hour. The vague memory of the lamp seems to fit my needs; does my description ring any bells for anyone? Or, does anyone have any other (non-heat-generating) lamps they like to use?

    Maybe not the same one but would this one fit?

    https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimming-Daylight-Diameter/dp/B087LP7VCS

    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Folks, I seem to recall that either in this iteration of the thread, or maybe the previous one, there was some recommendation for a lamp a few folks like using for model-building. If I remember correctly, it was:
    - LED
    - Mounted on an adjustable arm
    - Was round with a magnifying glass in the middle (so you could position it between the model kit and your face, to magnify and illuminate the parts you're wokring with)
    - I think it had a desk clamp on the other end
    - There was an Amazon link to it

    I'm thinking I need a new lamp, because the ceiling-mounted one above my desk generates as much heat as a miniature sun, and I need a shower after sitting under it for an hour. The vague memory of the lamp seems to fit my needs; does my description ring any bells for anyone? Or, does anyone have any other (non-heat-generating) lamps they like to use?

    Maybe not the same one but would this one fit?

    https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimming-Daylight-Diameter/dp/B087LP7VCS
    Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking of! My only qualms about that one in particular is that it looks like it's only available used, and I prefer to buy new when possible - but it looks like there's a whole lot of similar ones on there. As I was poking around, I came across this one that I find intriguing:
    https://www.amazon.com/Light-Reading-48-Brightness-Protection/dp/B08T24FJC9
    It's pretty highly-rated (which doesn't necessarily mean it's great, but it's probably at least not total garbage), and it's cheap enough that I can probably just grab it and not feel bad if I end up hating it.

    Mostly, I was curious if there were any lamps that folks in here had some personal preference for - a recommendation from a friend is worth a 1000 fake auto-generated Amazon reviews, after all.

  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also if your room lights are generating a lot of heat, I would double check them to make sure they are not overloading the circuit and aren't.. like... Heat lamps.

    All my main lights are pretty basic LED models these days.

    He/Him
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular


    The Gundam Base MG RX-78-2 [Perfect Gundam Ver.] [Anime Color] complete! Considering this one done without any stickers / topcoat, I think it looks... perfect. ;D

    Oh brilliant
    Curly_BraceHefflingPolaritieMelonTronAthenorTNTrooperIronKnuckle's Ghost
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So... I guess the other night I managed to skip a step while assembling the legs, and had to pull a couple pieces off. I think I might have damaged the underside of a couple of the pieces, but I think it's in a spot I'll never see... hopefully...

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So... I guess the other night I managed to skip a step while assembling the legs, and had to pull a couple pieces off. I think I might have damaged the underside of a couple of the pieces, but I think it's in a spot I'll never see... hopefully...

    Get a parts separator. It makes these issues a lot easier to deal with. You can still break parts though, as I did recently.

    If all you did is whiten the plastic, press on the affected area with a fingernail and most of the whitening will go away.

    AthenorDark Raven X
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 25
    Decided to give myself a treat for sometime next year when they ship.
    s3djm0il4azu.jpeg

    Doctor Detroit on
    Dark Raven XNytewarriorBahamutZEROAthenorHefflingBetsuniShadowfireMidnite
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooo... What is that take on berserk fuhrer?

    He/Him
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ooo... What is that take on berserk fuhrer?

    I dunno. But I like those blue accents better than the regular version. And this one is $20 cheaper.

    Hoping Supernova goes for a Kong next year.

  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    No, like... Where from? :D

    He/Him
    Dark Raven X
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh hey. Bandai is dropping a few more kits tonight. Including the boosters and eve more weapons for the perfectability.

    Damn me.

    He/Him
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    No, like... Where from? :D

    Oh, Supernova kit. Sold at USAGS.

  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    How's the RX-78 real grade hold up?

    I just need a 1 3 and 6 to complete my RX series and I might grab that RG they have going up tonight

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's the first and kinda rough for it, but if you build it really carefully it comes out looking beautiful. I broke a few parts on it, it's glued together. ;P

    I think it's definitely worth a build.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh hey. Bandai is dropping a few more kits tonight. Including the boosters and eve more weapons for the perfectability.

    Damn me.

    Oho, do you know if the MG Hyaku Shiki Crash is going up tonight? My backlog could always be longer.

    Oh brilliant
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    It's the first and kinda rough for it, but if you build it really carefully it comes out looking beautiful. I broke a few parts on it, it's glued together. ;P

    I think it's definitely worth a build.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh hey. Bandai is dropping a few more kits tonight. Including the boosters and eve more weapons for the perfectability.

    Damn me.

    Oho, do you know if the MG Hyaku Shiki Crash is going up tonight? My backlog could always be longer.

    It is

    X22wmuF.jpg
    Dark Raven X
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got it! And the Lindwurm on impulse...

    anyone know what the deal is with that RG Eva 01? Why is it so much more than the regular release, just for that spear weapon?

    Oh brilliant
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Got it! And the Lindwurm on impulse...

    anyone know what the deal is with that RG Eva 01? Why is it so much more than the regular release, just for that spear weapon?

    special coating/finish I think? The green sure does pop.

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    How's the RX-78 real grade hold up?

    I just need a 1 3 and 6 to complete my RX series and I might grab that RG they have going up tonight

    It is essentially the MG RX-78-2 3.0 scaled down to 1/144 scale with a partially pre-built inner frame. The issue is with this kit in particular is that they didn't have the tolerances down well enough, so some places are too tight and others are too loose. You have to glue down some of the smaller pieces or it will become a hand grenade.

  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That feeling when an order comes in and it has something on it that you completely forgot you ordered...

    Whelp! Guess I have my first Zaku!

    YFxaU6ph.jpg

    He/Him
    IanatorBetsuniNobodyNytewarriorRenzoShadowfireBahamutZEROironsizide
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    What's the difference between the RG Exia - seen here https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/rg-gundam-exia-model-kit-1-144-scale
    and the RG Exia Repair - seen here https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2353223001003

    It looks like the Repair version has fewer accessories, and a different main weapon (a translucent energy blade part rather than a chrome blade); is that it? If I remember correctly, the MG version of the Repair comes with some extra sprues that let you build an alternate, damaged arm and weapon, plus a cloak to drape over them. I'm not seeing anything like that in the RG Exia Repair promo photos, though.

Sign In or Register to comment.