As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Kotobukiya is doing their reveals at the show as well.

... Damnit, Twitter, I'm not logging onto you on this machine, let me browse and link shit in peace!

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN

He/Him
    Ianator
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The gold-coating inner frame on the strike freedom mgex is hilarious in that you cover 95% of it up with normal plastic

BahamutZERO.gif
    MidniteCurly_BraceHefflingmiscellaneousinsanityShadowfire
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Has anyone used USAG single bladed nippers?
    They're $37, but give you free shipping on your order so it's $27 extra to add to an order.

MYZIAX4.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Rockin' ShoujoRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I will never get tired of these ridiculous trailers

Sweet lens flare bonus!
    (I hope it's not like the kind where the undercarriage is already preassembled.)

oK4l3R4.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    They're $37, but give you free shipping on your order so it's $27 extra to add to an order.

I've done a little bit with them. No complaints. I haven't been building a lot recently so I can't really say more. I was using a Valtcan single bladed nipper.

ArcSyn
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I've been using them as my main pair of nippers for 2 years now. No complaints so far.

Dark Raven XBetsuniIanatorArcSyn
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I will never get tired of these ridiculous trailers

Sweet lens flare bonus!
    (I hope it's not like the kind where the undercarriage is already preassembled.)

There's a gallery on Reddit showing off the sprues, you build the whole dang thing!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/un25xq/mgex_strike_freedom_gundam_at_the_shizuoka_hobby/

(also looks like the eyes n' head cameras don't actually light up? Those trailers sure made it look like they do, that's a bit disappointing...)

Oh brilliant
    cj iwakura
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    Please tell me they undergated the inner frame parts

they can’t have made a fucking fully plated inner frame without that step to keep the nubscars at bay

Every part I can see is either undergated or peg gated (gate attaches at a peg/ball joint).

I'm expecting / dearly hoping that every visible part of the frame when armored up is fully undergated. There should not be a single visible nub on this thing.

As to whether that'll apply to the full frame, armor off version? Eeeeh I could see them getting lazy there.

Oh brilliant
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    They fully undergate gold HGs half the time I'm sure they did with there prestige yearly MG kit

X22wmuF.jpg
    MidniteHefflingPolaritie
    Need a clear version to see the frame underneath.

Not gonna hold my breath for that, based on the lack of any MGEX Unicorn variants to date.

edited May 11
    Could see em waiting for a second MGEX to launch before releasing a Unicorn variant. It's crazy we haven't seen an MGEX Banshee yet...

Unrelated, I just built the RE/100 Gundam Lindwurm!

It's fine! Very difficult to get it to stand though, a lotta size n' weight on that poor polycap skeleton...

It comes with those cool plastic stickers from the PGU! One on each shoulder, and the front and back head cameras, but strangely none for the eyes or the gun camera.

Thought it might make for a cool progression for eye stickers to go in the direction of having a solid black piece with some recesses which you then place these plastic stickers on. Wouldn't be surprised to start seeing that in the coming years.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    AthenorIanatorturtleantMelonTronRenzoDoctor DetroitMidniteArcSyn
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Check out these kits I finished recently:
    p6bf5lopd3zb.jpg
    3bwnl1ubak03.jpg

AthenorDark Raven XWhippyBahamutZEROturtleantIanatorBetsuniMelonTronRenzoDoctor DetroitHefflingMidniteShadowfire
    The MGEX Strike Freedom kind of makes sense if you assume what they want to make is the flashiest suits possible in the MGEX line. If it was a kit to do variants from, they'd probably have done the Strike, Wing Zero, Mk II, or something similar.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Yoooooo the ADF-01 though...

IanatorShadowfire
    Peebs Neo Zeong canceled.

Any bets on them realizing how much free shipping for that monstrosity was going to cost them and delaying the release?

AthenorDark Raven X
    I'm assuming someone started pulling out the molds to get ready for production, got about a third of the way through, and said "actually, fuck this" and went back to reprinting the MG Wing Zero Ver. Ka

Oh brilliant
    BahamutZERO
    Personally I doubt it was shipping. Bandai probably gives retailers 50% off, and $20 shipping isn't much compared to a $400-$500 kit, especially as there is no middle man. Personally I suspect they did have a mold issue and are having to make a new die due to some irreparable damage from improper storage. A big part of how Bandai is able to provide such great kits to us is they build each kit and adjust the dies until everything is dialed in, and redoing one die will make them go through this iterative process again before they can release.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

I'm sorry.

Plus side is I just bought the Peeb MG Stormbringer FA/GM Dominance on eBay, so if that suddenly appears in this sale, you're welcome everyone else.

Oh brilliant
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am disappointed bandi still splits the ace combat kits along the 1/72-1/144 scales
    as I would get the X49 [drone carrier} in 1/72 if they made it
    The CFA-49 is also in 1/44
    naht9noua75z.png

But can someone tell me more about the 30 minute mission kits? As I see some of the kits and tons of the ad on stuff but does it work across the kits or only for certain kits?
    As if I got this kit?
    p614o25bv124.png
    Is it to scale with this one?
    4tivrej2iae9.png

I know the Hexa gear stuff is 1/24 as most of the stuff I have seen of it has it on the box

Shadowfire
    All the 30 minute mission kits (30MM) are built on a common set of joint connections and pegs/holes. So you can very easily swap exterior armor, entire limbs, heads, weapons, or down to individual parts and build your own frankenstein mecha.

IanatorRenzoCurly_Brace
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Also, all 30MM kits are about the size of an average 1/144 kit.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Finished this kit today!

9y1rfjbwz53w.jpg

BahamutZEROmiscellaneousinsanityMidniteHefflingTonkkaBetsuniAthenorIanatorDark Raven XMelonTronArcSynCorporal CarlShadowfireIronKnuckle's Ghost
    gundam ground type is probably my favorite version of the OG gramps design

BahamutZERO.gif
    Curly_Brace
    Bought an MG Advanced Hazel thinking I could downgrade it to the basic version, and uh... turns out no! It's missing the v-fin, and only the v-fin as far as I can tell? Infuriating!

Figure it's a long shot, but... does anyone have an MG Hazel that might be interested in a partswap? Gimme your regular v-fin, I'll give you the mono eye Advanced head, plus the chonkier armor parts if ya want?

Oh brilliant
    If the head you're wanting to build is the MG Gundam MK II head, you might find a parts seller who will sell you the v-fin from that kit.

Nah I'm trying to build the regular Hazel head, I think it has a unique v-fin, not a recycled part from the Gundam MK II unfortunately.

I've got this version:
    hgm0tat3vy4c.jpg

And I want this one instead:
    n71h71cholc4.jpg

Oh brilliant
    According to the instructions at Dalong, you need part B18 from the MG Hazel TR-1.

cgm091_r07.jpg

Unfortunately this appears to be a unique runner for the Hazel TR-1. Looking at the pictures, they provide the same runner for the Advanced Hazel, but exclude this specific piece.

Dark Raven X
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Build night was tonight! I forced myself to build again.. and then not get too caught up on having a magnifying lens to see how my nub removal was going.

Rev Raptor is pointy!

Before today, I only had the head done. Next up is the tail and the back body. Which will be a pain.

Usm51KMh.jpg

RHGAW9Oh.jpg

aNaq9Dhh.jpg

wavjE0ch.jpg

He/Him
    MidniteBetsuniIanatorCorporal CarlDoctor DetroitHefflingArcSynMelonTron
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    It took an hour getting this head together because of those bastard fangs. They're plastic but apparently can still break skin.

bvoxNbGh.jpg

Athenorcj iwakuraTNTrooperBetsuniIanatorDark Raven XCorporal CarlDoctor DetroitHefflingArcSynMelonTronShadowfire
    It's great, isn't it? They're all so sharp and dangerous! I love it!

He/Him
    Quid
    Anybody have any opinions on Revolvotech figures? Kinda eyeballing a Jehuty.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    Got my Jehuty forever ago, the Anubis/2nd Runner colors version (a bit more gold than orange on the secondary coloring, I think is the primary difference; matches with the look of it in the second game either way), holds up pretty well even after several years on its stand; I don’t change its pose up much but pretty good posability so you’ll be able to find something pretty dynamic to set it in

Still can’t quite figure out how best to arrange the sword slash effect though. Least I assume it’s meant to be a sword slash

Lanz on
    turtleantMidnite
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I have a few so I don't know if they are the same quality or such
    basically they were a pretty good quality action figure with the various joints and spare parts if one wore out

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am disappointed bandi still splits the ace combat kits along the 1/72-1/144 scales
    as I would get the X49 [drone carrier} in 1/72 if they made it
    The CFA-49 is also in 1/44
    sic

But can someone tell me more about the 30 minute mission kits? As I see some of the kits and tons of the ad on stuff but does it work across the kits or only for certain kits?
    As if I got this kit?
    p614o25bv124.png
    Is it to scale with this one?
    sic
    I know the Hexa gear stuff is 1/24 as most of the stuff I have seen of it has it on the box

The grey Mass Produced Sub Machine ver. is only up to the stomach of the spinatio, as it's more of a construction bot.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    You mean Revoltech, right? I have 4 Marvel Revoltech characters (v1 Deadpool, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Cable), and have never handled any of the more robotic/mecha Revoltech figures. To be honest, I suspect there are more differences between those two types of figures than there are similarities, but I'll tell you what my impressions are.

I like the Revoltech joints themselves quite a bit. The smaller ones (typically used on e.g. wrists, ankles, and necks) don't have any ratcheting; the bigger ones (typically used in the legs and torso) have ratcheting. From what I understand, the recently-released Deadpool v2 actually doesn't have any ratchet joints anywhere at all (I have it in my BBTS stash, haven't shipped it yet). The joints offer a wide range of movement, and in most cases are pretty easy to remove - this means you can replace joints fairly easily if you need to, and it also means that limbs tend to just come out if you apply too much force, rather than breaking. This can be a bit annoying if you're trying to get a specific pose and an arm keeps popping out, but I feel like it's overall better than having the joints stuck in.

The design of the figures - how their bodies are divided into separate pieces that are connected via the joints, and how those body pieces are sculpted - will probably be the biggest difference between the mostly-human Marvel characters I have and any kinds of robots. The organic bodies can't hide the fact that the torso is multiple different pieces that slide over and around each other. You will see gaps, separation between the pieces, and breaks in the deco. This is unavoidable in figures that are made of rigid plastic rather than a stretchy and flexible material, but I feel like it's more extreme with Revoltech than many other figures. The Revoltech joints themselves are also quite visible on a lot of figures. They obscure them when possible, but like the inside of the elbow and the back of the knee are un-hidable. The earlier Marvel figures (Deadpool and Spider-Man, most notably) also have extremely visible shoulder joints, which are double-joints (like two Revoltech joints attached directly to each other) that stick out like the sorest of thumbs. With Wolverine, they figured out that they can mount shoulder pads on top of those joints to hide them quite well while still retaining the wide range of motion, and have actually started doing that for characters that don't have explicit shoulder pads as part of the costume, they just deco them the same as the rest of the arm. These hyper-visible shoulder joints are actually what turned me off Deadpool when he first came out years and years ago.

So the cost is visible joints, what's the benefit? An incredible degree of poseability. You can create absolutely amazing dynamic poses with Revoltech figures. Spidey doing web-swinging, Wolverine doing some exaggerated leaping claw-slash, Deadpool contorting as he jumps through the air and fires his guns, it's all there. Yes, there will be visible joints; if you want to take photos or pose them on a shelf, you can often arrange the figure so that most of the joints are hidden from the one perspective they'll be seen - or you can just accept the visible joints and be at peace (which is why I eventually ended up getting Deadpool). I will say, though, that because there's so much flexibility and degrees of motion, you often need to put in a lot of work to get the exact pose you want, because there are a lot of joints that you need to tweak just so. I also have a Mafex Ben Reilly Spider-Man and a Sen-Ti-Nel "Into the Spider-Verse" Miles Morales, and those figures are way easier to just pick up and pose, with almost the same degree of poseability and expressiveness.

I suspect that on robotic and mecha characters, though, a lot of the downsides will probably be less of an issue. Mechanical characters are typically made from multiple different parts anyway, so the separation between action figure body parts can be made at the borders between the different character parts. Visible joints might be easier to disguise behind mechanical doodads, and might not look as out-of-place on less organic characters anyway.

Bottom line: I absolutely love my Revoltech figures, and am unbothered by their limitations, although that last thing is an individual preference. If you like posing your figures a lot, I think Revoltech is great - but Mafex figures are basically just as good, and are easier to work with. If you want a figure that's less fiddly, I'd probably recommend a Mafex instead (although, I don't think Mafex makes too many mechanical characters, so your options there would be limited). If you typically put your figures on the shelf in an A-pose, then Revoltech will probably make too many aesthetic concessions and you wouldn't even get to benefit from the articulation.

turtleant
    No, revolvotech, scale Volvo cars

BahamutZERO.gif
    Doctor DetroitHeffling