As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I'm mixing up the colors to use on my MG Hazel Custom, using the exact ratios and paints listed in the manual and... kinda feel like either the color guide is way off, or my paints are?

wNUK8g6l.jpeg

Those are meant to be the grey for the frame and the "dark blue" (I'd call it black) for the chest and shield, but like...

zp6ccuwxvoi4.jpg

Nowhere close, right? The frame is more of a purple, the armor closer to black. Any ideas? :<

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Try painting a test swatch on a card or piece of garbage sprue that you've primed, and see if they look any different when they dry

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Paint it in your own colors and call it the Custom MG Hazel Custom.

• Options
    I might have a conspiracy theory solution here. So the official ratios are...

Frame:
    - 80% Grey
    - 10% Black
    - 10% Purple

Dark Blue:
    - 50% Cobalt Blue
    - 30% Bright Blue
    - 20% Black
    - Small Dose Red, White

And I'm no color theory artiste, and am too sleepy to go test it at the moment, but... anyone else think they should be reversed, top to bottom? I bet 80% purple would be a lot closer to the frame color shown in the painted sample pic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    worth a shot, but do try testing what it looks like dry
    also I think 80% purple would look overwhelmingly purple, the ratios for that one look about right to me
    were you using mr. hobby paints?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think he's probably right. Keep in mind that black is extremely desaturating. I would take the colors and just do some tests until you find a mix you think is close enough. I agree doing test paints and seeing how it dries.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    2to1sx9xlc9i.jpg

Inner frame done. Waiting on an Ex Yellow Gold Gundam Marker to get delivered since the Phenex is a different shad then the standard gold markers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    oOoOO... What are you going to use the markers for? I ask to see if I should pick one up too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Nub marks on the gold plated parts I would assume.

• Options
    were you using mr. hobby paints?

Mr Color lacquers, yeah. I believe they're meant to be exactly equivalent with the Mr Hobby Aqueous line.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Please ponder this Haro.

d86u0qdi1a0e.jpg

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Jumping back a page and been using these glass files from Dr Mode and it's been fantastic.
    I just got a USAGS single-bladed nipper as well and between the two, my entire process has reduced to snip, glass file, balancer sand, balancer polish. Still getting some stress marking but I think that's more my issue from how I snipped it out.
    Worked a little bit on my Heavyarms after getting the USAGS nippers. Forgot to take a picture of the torso before I put it all away.

Pictures show how smooth it gets.
    Pre-filing, just snipped close
    mW2FlX6l.jpg

Nail file
    D9ZfJuGl.jpg

Post-filing, can see the stress mark
    LaxDWLvl.jpg

Tilted in the light, can see the smoothness and shine
    DHBSRNwl.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    I think he's probably right. Keep in mind that black is extremely desaturating. I would take the colors and just do some tests until you find a mix you think is close enough. I agree doing test paints and seeing how it dries.

Alright! I tested. Interestingly, shaking up the frame mix this morning had it turn much darker, surprised me as I had thoroughly whisked the heck out of it already. Guess it just marinated together overnight...

Frame:
    VHu3Sa3l.jpeg

Black armor:
    jXLmLXsl.jpeg

Grey primer on top spoon, black on bottom spoon.

Mm, I'm somewhat OK with these! They do indeed look better than they did in the jar, but I still think they're kinda off from the painted sample photos. Think I'm gonna mix up my own to try and match.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The top spoon looks really good. As I mentioned, black is extremely strong as something you add to paint. I would cut the amount of black used in half, if not in quarter. There's no way that desaturated purple has a ton of black in it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the Transformers: Bumblebee movie, but I really like some of the designs from there, most notably Optimus Prime's. There's an officially-licensed premium-quality model kit coming out from YOLOPARK (I don't know anything about this company, they seem to style their name in all caps so I'll do the same) any minute now. Here's the promo video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic_UUYnz4_w

Well, looks like some Chinese reviewers received their copies a few days ago, and now reviews are popping up on YouTube. Just came across this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSBbdr7020
    I don't speak any Chinese language, and YouTube's auto-translation captions are not ideal, but I can sorta get the general idea of what's being said.

It looks pretty dang rad, man. As big as a PG Gundam, and this reviewer says that it's more complicated to build than one. There's a very complicated, sophisticated inner skeleton, and my impression is that at least some of the outer plates are painted. It's pretty expensive - USAGundamStore has it for $200; ShowZStore (a China-based retailer I frequently buy 3rd party Transformers from) has it for $150 - but looks really pretty, and interesting. I'm very, very tempted.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    P Bandai has just released a line of Slegger Law merch.

I'm sure all the Slegger Law heads are hyped.

Those exist, right?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I had to google that lol
    the beefy guy who died in original gundam?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's me i'm a sleggar stan

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I had to google that lol
    the beefy guy who died in original gundam?

The latest Gundam film that's coming out soon is a reversioning of an infamous episode of OG Gundam.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    so i'm a person who generally thinks there should be less worrying about continuity in stuff

but i am kind of weirdly fascinated by where they're putting cucuruz doan's island. like if sleggar's there it's gotta be post-jaburo and...right before they go back to space? interested to see why the re-arrangement

also c'mon sleggar fans have to be sleggheads

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    so i'm a person who generally thinks there should be less worrying about continuity in stuff

but i am kind of weirdly fascinated by where they're putting cucuruz doan's island. like if sleggar's there it's gotta be post-jaburo and...right before they go back to space? interested to see why the re-arrangement

also c'mon sleggar fans have to be sleggheads

Sleggarnauts

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I like Sleggar better when he's Roy Fokker.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Transformers: Bumblebee movie, but I really like some of the designs from there, most notably Optimus Prime's.

It's not a great movie, but it's definitely not bad, and they nail the G1 aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBsFml7UNA

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Worked on Heavyarms tonight and finished the original series. Starting Char's Counterattack next.

ZeLXPCrl.jpg
    Got head and arm finished tonight.

Am I supposed to clip these tabs on the V? Assembled shots show them, but show art doesn't.

YcweNMel.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The tabs are there for safety reasons, as you can pretty easily break skin if you trim them. Some folks trim them, some leave them on.

Weirdly I kind of like them with the tabs.

• Options
    oh is that why those are there? when did they start doing that with V-fins?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    safety flags have been around since the start of the HGUC line, maybe earlier

you can sand down your vfins even sharper after clipping them if you'd like, but i do agree that depending on the design, some look good left on (the one on the pale rider's antenna comes to mind)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Yeah, it’s a safety thing on the HG kits because they’re an all ages demographic. You see Bandai do similar things for, say, the Antennae on any Riders in their So-Do action figure line where they’re like, solid horns of plastic instead of pointy antennae

MG, RG and PG don’t feature them, I presume because Bandai assumes those are mainly going to be built by older modelers.

I trim them off for a more show accurate look and I noticed there is like an almost imperceptible notch between the fin and the flag that once i noticed it broke the image of it being part of the design rather than a safety bit

Also reminds me, the ones for the Turn A are so bad

rha19kkdbl5c.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Just be careful if you do trim them. I've got more than one kit with a shorter vfin than they aught to have cause of a slip.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Man. I am just... garbage at painting. :I

I try building up in light coats I get sandy, grainy finish. I try doing heavy, wet coats and I get totally uneven finish.

https://imgur.com/a/IczUtbR

Time to reset, gonna paint like a hundred spoons until I'm good at this.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    On the other end of the spectrum, you have Koto's HMM Zoids kits which could break skin on the claws/fangs if you are not careful. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Man. I am just... garbage at painting. :I

I try building up in light coats I get sandy, grainy finish. I try doing heavy, wet coats and I get totally uneven finish.

https://imgur.com/a/IczUtbR

Time to reset, gonna paint like a hundred spoons until I'm good at this.

Light coats - Some of your paint is drying before it reaches the part, which gives that dusted grainy finish. You can either try to spray from closer or add something like Slo-Dri to your paint.

Heavy coats - Look up Orange Peel texture.

• Options

Don Onitaijin MiniPla, for a fraction of the price of the DX toy

I wonder if the skirt moves so it can actually sit like the suit can

xepmu64exthr.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    prsv4914kyen.png

MATSURI, MATSURI DA!! HA HA HA HA HA!

0ry8ku0ujd4w.gif

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    Tekkaman Blade!

5cdjkwrd2153.jpeg
    Voltekka!
    p69p5kmlam5i.jpeg

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the LR41 batteries the PGU Gramps requires might go by a different name in the US? They look like the small button batteries that hearing aids and similar very small devices might use, but I can't find anything locally with an LR naming convention. I know I can grab some online, I just would prefer to not have a truck burn some diesel just to bring me something that weighs a few grams.

I suppose I'll absolutely have to order the BR435 battery for the beam saber. Never seen a battery with that form factor before.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    rv47ddnlrx0e.jpg

Behold! A scale plastic model kit of the machine Bandai uses to make plastic model kits! The best part? It has a to-scale copy within itself... of the mold for the plastic model kit of the machine Bandai uses to make plastic model kits.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    What Is The LR41 Battery Equivalent?

Depending on the manufacturer, batteries of the same size and capability of LR41, are referred to in a few different variations. Direct replacements for LR41 would be 192, 92A,LR736, and AG3. These batteries are exact equivalents for the LR41 battery, the only difference being the name.
    There are also some batteries that are the same size and dimensions as the LR41 battery, but are not exact equivalents or direct replacements as they are constructed of different chemistries offering different performances for varying applications. Examples of these could be the 384, SR41, and 392 silver oxide batteries. Although these batteries are of the exact same dimensions as an LR41 battery, the silver oxide chemistry offers a very low drain performance allowing the battery to work over extended periods of time in low use applications such as in a watch.These batteries may not work in all applications that require a LR41 battery.
    For the best results, always consult the owner’s manual of your device to determine the exact battery that is required.

So it looks like there's a couple of different names you want to look out for.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    rv47ddnlrx0e.jpg

Behold! A scale plastic model kit of the machine Bandai uses to make plastic model kits! The best part? It has a to-scale copy within itself... of the mold for the plastic model kit of the machine Bandai uses to make plastic model kits.

We can still go deeper, have it be able to make actual kits that you can then build yourself.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.