As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Oh yes we have gone in depth on Blue Bloods and other racist / pro-brutality propaganda in past threads.
    Here is a pretty good review of it from a guy that does a series on Copaganda shows:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDYBxFUN-g&t=1275s&ab_channel=SkipIntro

Pay extra attention to the part where the community activist is secretly trying to suppress evidence that could exonerate a cop. No wonder your parents/Grandparents believe the BLM are a bunch of thugs.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Aioua wrote: »
    https://www.congress.gov/amendment/117th-congress/senate-amendment/558

the text isn't posted yet

The abstract is "To establish a deficit-neutral fund relating to funding the police." which doesn't sound like that last one he did.

I dunno I'm guessing with a 100-0 vote it both doesn't do much at all, and/or is also expected to be stripped when they squash the house and senate bills together

The text was posted:
    The Chairman of the Committee on the Budget of the Senate
    may revise the allocations of a committee or committees,
    aggregates, and other appropriate levels in this resolution,
    and make adjustments to the pay-as-you-go ledger, for one or
    more bills, joint resolutions, amendments, amendments between
    the Houses, motions, or conference reports relating to
    funding the Nation's police through programs that are in
    within the jurisdiction of any committee of the Senate
    instructed under section 2002, which may include funding for
    law enforcement officer safety programs and fusion centers to
    protect the United States from domestic and international
    terrorists administered by the Department of Homeland
    Security, mental and behavioral health intervention programs
    administered by the Department of Health and Human Services,
    programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs
    to increase the hiring of military veterans as law
    enforcement officers, gang and youth violence education
    programs administered by the Department of Health and Human
    Services, and the Department of Education, by the amounts
    provided in such legislation for those purposes, provided
    that such legislation would not increase the deficit over
    either the period of the total of fiscal years 2021 through
    2025 or the period of the total of fiscal years 2021 through

as I expected, its nothing really
    like... as far as I can tell it's internal Senate business just saying like "the people in charge of committees that might allocate funds to police can allocate funds to police"

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Welp, there goes the political career of John Fetterman:
    But as Mr. Fetterman — one of Pennsylvania’s most prominent Democrats — enters the race for U.S. Senate this week, an incident from his past highlights his own judgment in the heat of one such moment.

In 2013, when he was mayor, Mr. Fetterman used his shotgun to stop an unarmed Black jogger and detain him, telling the police that he had heard shots fired near his home and spotted the man running, according to the police report. “Fetterman continued to yell and state that he knows this male was shooting,” the police report says.

An officer who patted down the man, Christopher Miyares, then 28, found no weapons. The officer noted that Mr. Miyares was wearing running clothes and headphones. Mr. Miyares was released.

On Tuesday, in response to questions from The Times, Mr. Fetterman’s campaign shared a new two-and-a-half minute video in which the candidate described the incident and defended himself — a sign that his campaign anticipated that the events from eight years ago would resurface with potential political fallout for his Senate bid.

In the video, Mr. Fetterman says that he was outside his home with his 4-year-old son when he heard “this crushing burst of gunfire,” and “I immediately made a series of split-second decisions.”

He said he saw someone “dressed entirely in black and a face mask” running in the direction of an elementary school. Noting that the date, in January 2013, was not long after the Sandy Hook school shooting, Mr. Fetterman said, “I made the decision to stop him from going any further until the first responders could arrive.”

According to accounts Mr. Fetterman gave in 2013 to local media, he chased the man in his pickup truck and used a 20-gauge shotgun he kept in the truck to hold him until the police appeared.

“I believe I did the right thing,” Mr. Fetterman told WTAE-TV at the time. “But I may have broken the law in the course of it. I’m certainly not above the law.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Might gain him some votes in certain circles.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    Might gain him some votes in certain circles.

If he ran as an Independent, or Republican, maybe. But I can absolutely see the DSCC dropping him if he doesn't drop out himself. And failure to do so will probably hurt them more in other areas.

"Vote blue, no matter who" only matters as long as the person isn't compromised by shit like this. But unlike Republicans, support for shit like this isn't unconditional.

I'm not sure that someone needs to be defined by their worst moment (assuming there's nothing else), but given how serious an issue BLM/racism is, staying at his current level is probably untenable, let alone an office of higher prominence. At least not without an apology, penance, and the acceptance and support of the local black community.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm not sure that someone needs to be defined by their worst moment (assuming there's nothing else), but given how serious an issue BLM/racism is, staying at his current level is probably untenable, let alone an office of higher prominence. At least not without an apology, penance, and the acceptance and support of the local black community.

I've got a weird feeling this may not be as damaging as it could be, even given the context you note, but I can't really back that up with anything solid.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd say his career is likely done a this point, but I could be wrong. I don't think this is quite like Northam's black face fiasco, where Northam had three things going for him. On the spectrum of awful, it's still pretty awful but on the lower end, to where it's something that the affected community would be willing to forgive if someone showed repentance. He could also argue the idiocy of youth in a different time, I want to say that would be around late 70s early 80s. He was in a position where he could actually do a fair bit of good to show that he had reformed as in individual.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I feel like senate races are sort of national.

Like, he very likely won't get massive grassroots progressive funding from across the country.

But the state might make it's own choice about who they support.

We'll see what shakes out, on this and the campaign's response to it, and any other lurking issues.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Label wrote: »
    I feel like senate races are sort of national.

Like, he very likely won't get massive grassroots progressive funding from across the country.

But the state might make it's own choice about who they support.

We'll see what shakes out, on this and the campaign's response to it, and any other lurking issues.

The money is national, so spiking news stories in rich areas about being a 'maverick' can be made a recognizable name to people who can fund PAC's when called.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Anyone who can detain a stranger at gunpoint because he thought they looked black "suspicious" and then, on reflection, think he did the right thing is not someone I trust to conduct themselves safely around other people in general, let alone in a position of power.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Anyone who can detain a stranger at gunpoint because he thought they looked black "suspicious" and then, on reflection, think he did the right thing is not someone I trust to conduct themselves safely around other people in general, let alone in a position of power.

I've never threatened anyone in my life with physical violence, imagine the shame if you were wrong after holding someone at gunpoint...

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    SHo..

Shuh..

Shawarma?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also cue surprise, Rittenhouse appears to be skipping bail. He moved without notifying the court, and prosecutors are requesting an arrest warrant.

https://www.wisn.com/article/prosecutors-kyle-rittenhouse-violated-conditions-of-release/35410096
    Update on this:

https://www.telegraphherald.com/news/iowa-illinois-wisconsin/article_7afc1b7d-7a5f-5529-9844-7ae74e331024.html
    MADISON, Wis. — A judge today refused prosecutors’ request to issue a new arrest warrant for an 18-year-old from Illinois who is accused of killing two people during a police brutality protest in Wisconsin last summer.

Kenosha County Circuit Judge Bruce Schroeder also rejected prosecutors’ request for a $200,000 bail increase for Kyle Rittenhouse
    :rotate:

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What the actual fuck?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    What the actual fuck?

Can't inflict any more mental toll on the poor, persecuted young man or have his address be a public record, people might come by and hurt his fee-fees.

And I about gave myself a stroke just typing that.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Remember the 75-year old man in Buffalo, New York who tried to return a helmet to the jackboots and got shoved to the ground as a result? Where he ended up suffering a brain injury? A grand jury just declined to prosecute the cops involved.

Just another reason why I've had a constant splitting headache from the sheer volume of NWA's Fuck Da Police blaring in my head on endless loop.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Remember the 75-year old man in Buffalo, New York who tried to return a helmet to the jackboots and got shoved to the ground as a result? Where he ended up suffering a brain injury? A grand jury just declined to prosecute the cops involved.

Just another reason why I've had a constant splitting headache from the sheer volume of NRA's Fuck Da Police blaring in my head on endless loop.

Umm....

I think you mean NWA?

Though I'd pay to see Wayne La Pierre and Oliver North sing this.

Not to them, obviously. Some gun control charity or something.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in fucked up - cop given 20 hour suspension for cooking his K9 partner to death:
    A Maricopa, Arizona, police officer was given a 20-hour suspension after the hot car death of his K9 partner.

According to a report from the Arizona Department of Public Safety, on June 26, 2020, Officer Craig Curry left K9 Ike inside his patrol vehicle with the engine running while he went into the Maricopa police headquarters for a meeting at 3 p.m.

At approximately 4:40 p.m. Curry went back to his vehicle and realized it had turned off. K9 Ike was located in the K9 kennel in the back of the vehicle panting heavily with glossy eyes from the heat.

The high temperature that day was approximately 108 degrees.

Curry attempted to start the car several times but it would not turn on. He then got help from other officers to try to cool down Ike and transported him to a veterinarian in Maricopa. Due to Ike’s condition, he then had to be transported to a veterinarian in Gilbert, Arizona, for treatment and was taken by ambulance.

On the morning of June 27, the decision was made to euthanize Ike because of complications with heatstroke.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That sounds awful, and failing to have others check in on the K9 (or not leaving them in the vehicle) and whatnot clearly led to the animal being euthanized, but from that lede I thought a literal kitchen oven was going to be involved.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    It was in the previous incarnation of this thread where someone pointed out that the officer down memorial page K9 search, can be done by "gunfire (inadvertent)" i.e. where police offices shot their own dog.

There are a lot.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The practice of using police dogs is born out of hunting down runaway slaves and should be ended.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Honestly this story only barely feels like it should be in this thread? The cop made a tragic mistake, but from the story it does seem like he was not at all ill-intentioned. The car died, and he was entirely wrong to not check on the dog at any point for that hour and a half, but it's not a police brutality issue.

There was no maliciousness here. There was no cops taking advantage of the system. I could see the punishment should be longer, but that doesn't seem like a police thing.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The practice of using police dogs is born out of hunting down runaway slaves and should be ended.

The practice of using dogs to chase down things is as old as domestication. I don't think it makes much sense to stop using K9s because people misused them in the past.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

The practice of using dogs to chase down things is as old as domestication. I don't think it makes much sense to stop using K9s because people misused them in the past.

I think we've moved past the need for that, what with having tasers and helicopters for instance.

I like to ART
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Honestly this story only barely feels like it should be in this thread? The cop made a tragic mistake, but from the story it does seem like he was not at all ill-intentioned. The car died, and he was entirely wrong to not check on the dog at any point for that hour and a half, but it's not a police brutality issue.

There was no maliciousness here. There was no cops taking advantage of the system. I could see the punishment should be longer, but that doesn't seem like a police thing.

Looking at it it is a class 1 misdemeanour, so you could argue the police officer didn't get charged where you might otherwise expect it. But there is a solid defence that he left the AC on and couldn't expect the car to die so :confused: . It does make me wonder if a pedestrian had broken into the car to save the dog would they have been protected by the good samaritan laws? But that's a bit of a unanswerable hypothetical.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Just another reason why I've had a constant splitting headache from the sheer volume of NWA's Fuck Da Police blaring in my head on endless loop.

Not the grand jury. Remember Breonna Taylor, that grand jury was never even given the option to press charges against the officers beyond the first one and only for a single charge. If the DA wants charges they can manipulate the grand jury process to get them and if they don't they can do the same.

• Options
    kime wrote: »

Looking at it it is a class 1 misdemeanour, so you could argue the police officer didn't get charged where you might otherwise expect it. But there is a solid defence that he left the AC on and couldn't expect the car to die so :confused: . It does make me wonder if a pedestrian had broken into the car to save the dog would they have been protected by the good samaritan laws? But that's a bit of a unanswerable hypothetical.

Depends. In your hypothetical, is the pedestrian a well off white person, or a poor and/or a minority?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Not the grand jury. Remember Breonna Taylor, that grand jury was never even given the option to press charges against the officers beyond the first one and only for a single charge. If the DA wants charges they can manipulate the grand jury process to get them and if they don't they can do the same.

As far as I can tell grand juries exist to provide cover for prosecutors. I don't think other countries do anything like them.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

This doesn't sound right to me. Police dogs are used in most countries, because their powers of smell can't be replicated in any other way and are invaluable for finding dead bodies or drugs.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Are cop K9 units trained for smell detection universally?

Note: I'm pretty dubious of how effective in aggregate K9s are for any kind of detection. Since most of the positive research I've seen is couched with 'if a well rested dog is presented a scenario that most closely matches it's training environment...' Like humans once they're asked to do more than their area of expertise or are tired or poorly trained the efficacy drops considerably

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A 20 hour suspension for killing a dog is so goddamn lacking in accountability. Jesus that bastard is among the most negligent fuckos running around with a badge.

• Options
    The idea of a modern municipal police department came around in 1838 (both london and boston's police forces were created that year) and was largely a US export.

There was a decent podcast recently lightly walking through the history of it:
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-behind-the-police-63877803/

I still maintain there is no real argument for their modern usage.

I like to ART
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

Generally, but the efficacy of said training is... questionable.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Cop K9 units are trained to do what makes their handler happy.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Generally, but the efficacy of said training is... questionable.

I couldn't tell you if cop dogs are trained or not but I can tell you that when they brought one to the mailroom to sniff packages it never found the drugs but would root through garbage for leftover burgers

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah this is it.

Like, you can absolutely train a dog to reliably find drugs or explosives, but that only really works when you're actually searching for those things. The dog is going to false positive. If you've got a search warrant and the dog alerts on some box, oh there's no drugs in here, the dog isn't rewarded, and you just move on and keep searching.

Its using the dog's alert as justification for further search which is the bad practice. This is what most cop dogs do and even if they were properly trained at one point, they quickly learn that their job is to alert whenever they're brought out.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If I remember right, the breed of dog they use is actually one of the most empathy showing breeds, very much a family friendly animal. And yet cops have chosen them because they look sleek and "mean" or some shit.

It's basically animal abuse.

All dogs are good. If a dog is being bad, it's because its owner is being abusive.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    A 20 hour suspension for killing a dog is so goddamn lacking in accountability. Jesus that bastard is among the most negligent fuckos running around with a badge.

Cop would probably get a harsher punishment for wrecking his vehicle.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    If I remember right, the breed of dog they use is actually one of the most empathy showing breeds, very much a family friendly animal. And yet cops have chosen them because they look sleek and "mean" or some shit.

It's basically animal abuse.

All dogs are good. If a dog is being bad, it's because its owner is being abusive.

ACAB, ADAG?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah this is it.

Like, you can absolutely train a dog to reliably find drugs or explosives, but that only really works when you're actually searching for those things. The dog is going to false positive. If you've got a search warrant and the dog alerts on some box, oh there's no drugs in here, the dog isn't rewarded, and you just move on and keep searching.

Its using the dog's alert as justification for further search which is the bad practice. This is what most cop dogs do and even if they were properly trained at one point, they quickly learn that their job is to alert whenever they're brought out.

Yeah, there've been studies about this. I remember one where they told the cops they were training the dogs, and that there would be drugs (or whatever the dog was supposed to find) in a specific marked room that the cop knew about. They didn't actually put anything in that room, but many (most? all?) dogs "found" something there, because they were actually reading their handlers for what the handler wanted/expected.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.