As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You all see that Imperium Magazine is now coming in the US? It's an oddly good deal for GW. Low hopes for the magazine itself, but $50/month for a bunch of free models, paint, and some gifts to those who sign up now is worth it - been toying with the idea of a Necrons army anyway as I have a paint scheme in mind.

https://www.warhammer40000imperium.com/

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    You all see that Imperium Magazine is now coming in the US? It's an oddly good deal for GW. Low hopes for the magazine itself, but $50/month for a bunch of free models, paint, and some gifts to those who sign up now is worth it - been toying with the idea of a Necrons army anyway as I have a paint scheme in mind.

Canada?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Canada?

Looks like nope 😕

Found some really neat clear plastic carrying cases / display cases someone was using on Reddit from a company called Crystal Fortress. Anyone try them?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Ive never found magnetic sheets strong enough to be worthwhile. A guy I play with has a sheet of ferrous metal.

Where did they get it? The only thing I can find when looking up ferrous metal sheets are saw blades.

I put the magnetized mini on a steel bar I use for priming magnetized stuff and it sticks exactly how I want to it so yea, these sheets are not great. Considering refunding them or maybe finding another use for them.

Most hardware stores will have small steel sheets that do the job, also Amazon. If you try the hardware store just bring a couple magnets with you to make sure you're grabbing steel and not aluminum

I've picked up sheets from both and just used 3m double sided tape or epoxy to mount them into cheap totes.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ive never found magnetic sheets strong enough to be worthwhile. A guy I play with has a sheet of ferrous metal.

Where did they get it? The only thing I can find when looking up ferrous metal sheets are saw blades.

I put the magnetized mini on a steel bar I use for priming magnetized stuff and it sticks exactly how I want to it so yea, these sheets are not great. Considering refunding them or maybe finding another use for them.

Works in a metal shop

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Can't find magnetic rubber at any hardware store and getting steel is another issues because I have no way to cut them down to size. Might just have to go with the magnetic rubber sheets I bought.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Can't find magnetic rubber at any hardware store and getting steel is another issues because I have no way to cut them down to size. Might just have to go with the magnetic rubber sheets I bought.

The hardware store may be able to cut it for you sometimes for a fee

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

You can get high quality steel magnets from amazon and space them out on a surface with super glue and just have contact points instead of an even magnetic surface

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    j6sbl6n5xjbc.jpg

Cognis lascannons are d3+3 damage, in line with darklances.
    I wonder if lascannons missed the boat when they did the imperial weapon redesigns? I'll be kinda bummed out if this is just a one-off for admech lascannons and not a general fix to the weapon.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oohh, I hope Heavy Mining Lasers get the same buff.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

For some reason they aren't showing the entire collection this time. About $61 a month with shipping, for 80 months, $4800 dollars, for two armies, over 6 and a half years(edit 1.7 years). I would like to expand on my small necron force, but I dunno w/o seeing the whole collection, and I don't need more space marines.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

For some reason they aren't showing the entire collection this time. About $61 a month with shipping, for 80 months, $4800 dollars, for two armies, over 6 and a half years. I would like to expand on my small necron force, but I dunno w/o seeing the whole collection, and I don't need more space marines.

Think you’re doing the math wrong - subscription is 11.95/issue and they ship 4x issues at a time with $4.95 shipping fee. That works out to about $50/month and 52 issues/year.

Still less economical than just springing for indomitus but I like the idea of getting some models every month vs. spending a lot up front.

I’m working through 5k points of death guard with 3k points of Nids behind it, so slowly accumulating some Necrons over the next 12 months is probably the right speed, at least for me.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

The hardware store may be able to cut it for you sometimes for a fee

I'll need to check in on that.

You can get high quality steel magnets from amazon and space them out on a surface with super glue and just have contact points instead of an even magnetic surface

I'll see what I can find on this and see which is more cost effective if the store will cut the metal for me.

Where did they announce this? I can't find anything at all about it. Just that link you posted.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    j6sbl6n5xjbc.jpg

Cognis lascannons are d3+3 damage, in line with darklances.
    I wonder if lascannons missed the boat when they did the imperial weapon redesigns? I'll be kinda bummed out if this is just a one-off for admech lascannons and not a general fix to the weapon.

On the other hand it would be a bit disappointing if dark and bright lances are just worse lascannons again with less strength and range in exchange for the ap.

The cognis autocannon being the same as a regular autocannon seems to suggest that the lascannon change might indeed be what all imperial lascannons might look like in the future.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The autocannon is 3 shots instead of 2 per gun, but that's nothing novel as there's already a bunch of 3 shot marine autocannons. Autocannons are all over the map though, so they're no bearing for consistency.
    I figured Cognis just makes them assault and gives them some stratagem synergy. It would be real wierd if cognis lascannons were just way better than normal ones. My Repulsor Executioner's laser destroyer is crying salty tears.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I find it funny that the lancers have rules for their guns which I am not sure I have ever seen. Curious about the taser lances. They are pretty trash with how they work and hit right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Missed the extra shots on the autocannon

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Ironstrider guns being assault instead of heavy is actually a huge negative for them assuming the forgeworld-specific canticles from Engine War stick around.

Either way unless their points are massively reduced I can't imagine taking chickens over raiders basically ever. Which is a shame, since I like the models and own five Dragoons.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Serberys raiders have also leaked +1a, +1t, -1w. Galvanic carbines ap-1 now. Maybe all galvanic guns hat that instead of only on a 6+ to hit.

Edit: phosphor pistol d3 shots, rifles 2d3, sulphur breath 12", ap-2.

Maybe phosphor weapons become blast?

honovere on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    honovere wrote: »
    Serberys raiders have also leaked +1a, +1t, -1w. Galvanic carbines ap-1 now. Maybe all galvanic guns hat that instead of only on a 6+ to hit.

Edit: phosphor pistol d3 shots, rifles 2d3, sulphur breath 12", ap-2.

Maybe phosphor weapons become blast?

Phosphor weapons are garbage and would still be garbage if they were blast, but something is better than nothing.

Edit: Missed that they're cutting a wound off, that's a pretty huge nerf.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Because my brother and I spilt the indomitus box I am tempted to get the Imperium Magazine but I just don't know as I want the Capt and others from it and I am tired of playing ebay for them

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I had a spare Indomitus Captain, but I converted him into a Librarian. I have a spare nos Captain in Gravis armor (the guy from Dark Imperium), I just checked Ebay out of curiousity and they've been selling for anywhere between $30 and $48, which is wild.

I wish they would have kept the Know No Fear box aroumd, it was such a good deal. You basically got a Start Collecting Space Marines and a Start Collecting Deathguard in the same box for $80.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    My buddy and I played the last two patrol matches of our Necron/DG campaign recently.

The PBC's are just so good now.

Match one was a hold 1, hold more, perform an action to activate an objective mission. (10 pts each per turn, can only activate each obj once)
    As far as I remember, he brought - Technomancer, scarabs, 10 warriors, reanimator, doomstalker
    I brought - Lord of Virulence, 5-man plague marines, PBC, Myphitic Blighthauler

The mission had one objective outside each deployment and the other two 12" apart on the midline of the board between us. With the mission rules the only thing I had that could perform an action was my marines (no characters, vehicles, beasts). He took turn one and chipped a few wounds off things but largely rolled poorly with the doomstalker. He moved up onto his objective with warriors and the midfield objective with scarabs. My turn one was trying to get up the board to contest things, the unheld midfield objective with my PBC, the contested one with my HQ/marines and left the Hauler on my home objective. The blighthauler and PBC rolled alright and bracketed the doomstalker. The mission scored from turn one, meaning he began the game with a 30 point lead on me... not good.

Turn two he dumped everything into my marines, but didn't quite kill the squad due to some blocking terrain and -1 to hit terrain, meaning he had to splitfire weapons on the doomstalker between the PBC and marines to finish them. They all died but the PBC shrugged it's damage with it's daemonic save. My turn two shut him down pretty hard. The lord of virulence cleared his scarabs off the midfield objective after they ate some wounds from the Hauler and having previously lost some bases to the plague marines, leaving my poor HQ alone and in the open. The melta from the Hauler and the Entropy Cannons demolished his doomstalker, seriously shutting down his offensive firepower.

Turn three he moved his reanimator on the the PBC objective to contest things and charged it to tied it up and turn off it's shooting. His warriors and technomancer hurt the lord of virulence but not severely enough. My turn three my Lord of virulence blew up some warriors but I avoided charging in just to ensure I held as many objectives as possible. This was probably a waste, because my PBC shot in combat, rolled very well and absolutely dumpstered the reanimator trying to poke it in melee. The hauler shot some warriors :lol:

By the end of turn three it was basically game. My lord of virulence eventually died, but I held enough objectives the entire time that I crept ahead each turn and eventually won by like 20 points.

GAME TWO. He swapped his reanimator for a plasmancer but otherwise the armies were the same.

The mission had split deployments in opposite corners (so him top left, bottom right, me bottom left, top right) with the objective being to hold a 12" radius area in the center of the board. Points for units in wholly within the Zone and points for killing a unit that's in the zone.

I dropped my Lord and marines in one corner and PBC and hauler in the other. He had his warriors, technomancer, and doomstalker in a corner and his plasmancer/scarabs in the other. I took first turn. My plague marines and lord moved towards center into some cover and their special weapons chipped a couple wounds from the doomstalker. My hauler moved towards center and killed a couple of scarab bases but didn't have line of sight on anything else. The PBC moved but had no line of sight. His turn one annihilated my marines but whiffed on the lord and he tied down my Hauler with scarabs.

The rest of the match was basically just me grinding towards center with him unable to stop me. The PBC killed his plasmancer, wrecked his doomstalker (but not before it tagged the PBC for 9 wounds), the hauler spent most of the game tied up with scarabs, and by turn five he was ahead by ten points. The final round came down to him having reanimated warriors into the zone to have a unit, and getting off a hugely lucky advance in turn four with his technomancer, meaning we were tied for units in the center at the top of five. Sadly my Lord was in like a 3" charge range and just punched the technomancer to death, earning me 10pts for killing a unit in the center.. My blighthauler and PBC's finished off the warrior blob for another ten points and I netted 20pts for the endgame objective for having more units in the zone.

Takeaways:
    • I like marines but they don't seem to perform well in small units. Every game they get targeted first and while they soak a lot of my opponents armies' fire, they still die turn one or two. I guess they do their job, but I’d rather run a vanguard detachment and just bring more termies rather than a battalion with the necessary marines or pox’s. Stuff that can get shot and soak the damage then punch back harder.
    • The blighthauler is awesome. Super speedy so it can be where it’s needed anytime an the new meltas hit like trucks.
    • The 3+D3 damage on entropy cannons is just so good. The consistency just makes their damage soooo good. Their strat to make their mortar flat 3 damage is cool, but the random number of shots still makes it a bit unreliable unless your shooting at something big enough to trigger blast, where the extra damage feels wasted in the games I’ve played. Probs good against marine squads where you can take advantage of the 2 or 3 damage attacks vs big squads.
    • I don’t like the lord of virulence. Having a heavy flamer equivalent is cool, but he just doesn’t smash faces like the Lord of Contagion and I actually missed the extra 3” range on the contagion with him as well.
    • I’m getting used to playing DG I think… Every game I start behind on points but seem to be able to grind my way back to a win hogging the midboard and soaking points where my opponent can’t shift me. He can either sit back and shoot, and not contest the board, or he can move in and soak all the midrange damage, mortal wounds, and toughness debuff.
    • Crusade is still the best way to play the game. So many cool RPG elements…. My blighthauler can now mark targets and give other units with plague weapons exploding 6’s in shooting. Just waiting to roll a double six with entropy cannons and ‘esplode something. My PBC can now move horizontally through models and terrain due to it’s new “spider limbs” trait.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Since we don’t have an Adeptus Titanicus thread per se; the Warmaster Titan, Loyalist Legios book, the Core rule book, a new maniple/battleforce set, and several loyalist transfer sets will be going on preorder next Saturday.

Combined with the Vampire warband for Underworlds, it’s gonna be an expensive weekend…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    24fhhd4oesbe.jpeg

bixlm3h448z9.jpeg

Making some custom possessed because the official models are trash

Vanguard on
  • Options
    That's hilarious... I'm just riding Vanguards tailcoats everywhere :lol:

I ALSO just made some custom possessed because the official models are trash... only mine are also kinda trash because I had nothing but Assault Marines and tyrranid bits to work with :lol:

They look great Vanguard

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    @Khraul

Ggs, man! Glad you are getting the hang of DG! Thy are very much an army that peaks later in the game.

As for your build, the Lord of Virulence really wants a large Marine squad to buff with his aura/ plague round stratagem. His sprayer also works better with with the add-on that ups its Strength and let's you reroll the number of shots. For your purposes, you could probably get by with a generic Lord, he's cheaper but keeps his reroll aura, and is a pretty solid fighter. A mage would also be a solid choice, instead.

As for the PBC and BH, I would pick one to focus on, and then use the spare room to add more Marines or Termies.

• Options
    I too have grown to dislike small marine squads - the initial thinking was that your opponents would have to overcommit you remove each one and split their shots but 5 is just easy enough to kill.

I basically run them in 3 configuration now:

-10 man squad with a sigil supported my my lord and tallyman (usually keep a helbrute nearby to maximize the value of the characters) - alternate is to throw 10 in a rhino with this build and no characters

-10 man squad with 3 plasma and 2 blight launchers, same support characters to add some high value shooting

-7 man squad with flail, cleaver, axe/mace, spewer, Belcher in a rhino with FBS and BP - when they pop out you can use the grenade Strat and Flamers to absolutely melt units and then change another and murder. This configuration killed 2 talos, a venom, and some wracks in one turn, so definitely worth the points.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Khraul

Ggs, man! Glad you are getting the hang of DG! Thy are very much an army that peaks later in the game.

As for your build, the Lord of Virulence really wants a large Marine squad to buff with his aura/ plague round stratagem. His sprayer also works better with with the add-on that ups its Strength and let's you reroll the number of shots. For your purposes, you could probably get by with a generic Lord, he's cheaper but keeps his reroll aura, and is a pretty solid fighter. A mage would also be a solid choice, instead.

As for the PBC and BH, I would pick one to focus on, and then use the spare room to add more Marines or Termies.

I need to work on being a little more aggressive and push in harder knowing my stuff can soak the hits it's going to take.

My 100 PL crusade list at the moment is two detachments comprised of
    Lord of Contagion w/ Rotten Constitution and Mortarions Anvil (full rerolls for hit/wound)
    Daemon Prince w/ Gloaming bloat and Suppurating plate for the 2+
    6 Deathshroud w/ the Plague skull of Glothila
    10 Blightlords
    Tallyman w/ the Tollkeeper
    Noxious Blightbringer w/ arch contaminator and the fugaris helm
    2x Blighthaulers
    2 Fleshmower drones
    2 PBC's
    The Pox furnace (because it's fun, not because it's good).
    (Crusade upgrades allow the extra relics and warlord traits on characters.)

We're just getting into 50pl but that's the eventual roster, then Mortarion and more termies at 150pl.

The crusade upgrades so far mean the first PBC moves through terrain, the Blighthaulers mark targets, and the first of the fleshmowers ignores -1/-2 AP. The Lord of Contagion also has a number of chaos boons and has an 8" move, is -1 to hit and +1 attack on the charge. He's also gotten Artisan Bionics from the core book, so he is S5 base and has a 5+++.... yes crusade rules are broken and hilarious.

Powerlevel is completely unbalanced but it can also be a bit harder to work around than points. I can't just add/remove gear to adjust to 2k pts. I'm stuck adding and removing squads or models to fit into 100pl. I could drop a BH and add a third PBC.... that would leave me with 2PL to upgrade a the two HQ's with some Deadly Pathogens.... Hmmmmmmmmm. *Rubs hands together in Nurgle*

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Oh... and my custom Plague is Bleeding Ravaging Ulcers! :bzz:

Each time a plague carrier from the army hits in melee it contaminates the unit it hit. That unit takes D3 mortal wounds plus 1 mortal wound at the start of my command phase. At the end of my opponents turn I roll 1D6 for each contaminated unit he has. On a 1-3 I can select another enemy unit within 6" to become contaminated. On a 4-6 it is no longer contaminated.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Hardware store I was going to will not cut metal sheets.

What exactly do I even need to cut a steel sheet?

• Options
    I too have grown to dislike small marine squads - the initial thinking was that your opponents would have to overcommit you remove each one and split their shots but 5 is just easy enough to kill.

I basically run them in 3 configuration now:

-10 man squad with a sigil supported my my lord and tallyman (usually keep a helbrute nearby to maximize the value of the characters) - alternate is to throw 10 in a rhino with this build and no characters

-10 man squad with 3 plasma and 2 blight launchers, same support characters to add some high value shooting

-7 man squad with flail, cleaver, axe/mace, spewer, Belcher in a rhino with FBS and BP - when they pop out you can use the grenade Strat and Flamers to absolutely melt units and then change another and murder. This configuration killed 2 talos, a venom, and some wracks in one turn, so definitely worth the points.

I should give a melee squad a swing, everything I've read or heard is that they wreck faces.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

Depends on the gage or thickness of the sheet
    But things like metal sheers, a cutting wheel on a grinder and so on

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

For some reason they aren't showing the entire collection this time. About $61 a month with shipping, for 80 months, $4800 dollars, for two armies, over 6 and a half years. I would like to expand on my small necron force, but I dunno w/o seeing the whole collection, and I don't need more space marines.

Think you’re doing the math wrong - subscription is 11.95/issue and they ship 4x issues at a time with $4.95 shipping fee. That works out to about $50/month and 52 issues/year.

Still less economical than just springing for indomitus but I like the idea of getting some models every month vs. spending a lot up front.

I’m working through 5k points of death guard with 3k points of Nids behind it, so slowly accumulating some Necrons over the next 12 months is probably the right speed, at least for me.

I think I was posting at 3 am, I have no idea how I did the math. Wow, I posted completely wrong pricing info. Might be $1060 over 1.7 years? Still would like to know what the full run out would look like model wise.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options

Depends on the gage or thickness of the sheet
    But things like metal sheers, a cutting wheel on a grinder and so on

Definitely don't need anything thick. Just something I can super glue into the container to hold magnets. Metal shears are pricy. I'm gonna have to see if any friends have a pair.

Also looking into just large magnets to glue to the bottom but I need to do some measuring first.

I might see if I can find some cake pans or something that are magnetic, those should be pretty easy to cut and cheap.

This is becoming very tedious.

I think I was posting at 3 am, I have no idea how I did the math. Wow, I posted completely wrong pricing info. Might be $1060 over 1.7 years? Still would like to know what the full run out would look like model wise.

Is this legit? I still can't find anything official from GW.

• Options
    Cake pans are often anodized aluminum

• Options

Well fuck, that plan died quick.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Well fuck, that plan died quick.

Try buying a whiteboard. You can get them in a huge variety of sizes (a4 or a3 would be most helpful here) and they're ferrous.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I too had a magnetic sheet purchase disaster that held nothing. However I then found something on eBay listed as ‘rubber steel sheet’ and it works great. Not magnetic itself. Self adhesive and cuttable with scissors so dead easy to apply. Not as strong an attraction as direct to sheet metal so needs two or more base magnets on non small plastic models, but works plenty good enough for me. Like I wouldn’t chuck my transport boxes sideways in a back pack but I’m confident in them sat upright and fairly secure in the car which is what I need.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    A friend used to just carry everything in a metal toolbox.

You don’t need to cut metal sheet when the whole thing is metal.

However, this was for Infinity. Lots less minis needed. Metal toolbox for a 40k army will probably weigh a ton.

-Loki- on