Options

[Griftlands] A deckbuilding game where you have battles and combat negotiations?

2»

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Finished Smith's campaign on Prestige 7. He's definitely been the easiest character for me to get an OP build for with a combination of moxie and evasion. Also discovered a novel interaction in Sal's auction.
    You are able to win multiple items during the negotiation if you can destroy them in a single action. The simplest way to do this is with the Heavy Handed upgrade which destroys all arguments for 3 dominance. This gave me a total of 3 items and left Kashio with 2 making the final fight much easier.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Finished Smith's campaign on Prestige 7. He's definitely been the easiest character for me to get an OP build for with a combination of moxie and evasion. Also discovered a novel interaction in Sal's auction.
    You are able to win multiple items during the negotiation if you can destroy them in a single action. The simplest way to do this is with the Heavy Handed upgrade which destroys all arguments for 3 dominance. This gave me a total of 3 items and left Kashio with 2 making the final fight much easier.

So, how many times do you wind up passing on a draft in the course of a run? I have to fight down the shininess impulse a lot with all these cool-looking cards. At least Smith has some neat zero-cost ones to cycle the negotiation deck with.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It isn’t generally as important to have a lean deck in this game as it is in Slay the Spire I don’t think. I generally take the type of cards I won’t be using out of my negotiation decks but I’ll typically wait to see if I’m given the “clarity” option on the upgrades to get rid of them for free. If I don’t see a card that synergizes with my deck in the draft I’ll skip it, but that doesn’t happen terribly often.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, I've been playing a fair amount of Griftlands as well. Deck size matters less.

The game isn't as hard as Slay the Spire in general so a lot of things are more viable.

I skip a lot of drafts if I don't like what is offered, particularly later on in a run. I also generally powered up the "Get more cash when you skip" Mettle upgrade. 30 gold for a card draft skip is quite a pretty penny.

Though really having a 30-40 card deck worked for me quite often in Slay the Spire too.

Griftlands... it just doesn't have that many "trash" cards that make removing cards from your deck that valuable. The basic attacks and blocks are definitely worse than other cards but... with the right upgrade they can be fairly valuable. The difference also just isn't huge.

I dislike the segmented style of the Prestige system in Griftlands. I don't really want to do Prestige level 2-4 for both Campaign and Brawl for each character. Prestige unlocks should be character wide- affecting both Brawl and Campaign.

To be honest I really liked Monster Train's "global prestige" that was separate from "characters" entirely. But I can see maybe why with Mettle and whatnot gating it a bit is good.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Glazius wrote: »

So, how many times do you wind up passing on a draft in the course of a run? I have to fight down the shininess impulse a lot with all these cool-looking cards. At least Smith has some neat zero-cost ones to cycle the negotiation deck with.

After the first few days very often. I try to keep both decks around 20 cards with extra allowances for Replenish, draw grafts, etc. As mentioned above the game isn't as punishing as StS so you can be more lenient with card drafts though I generally take the Destroy/Expend upgrade option for basic cards. As for fighting the new shiny feeling it helps that you are rewarded with money for passing on cards. I also upgraded that mettle ability ASAP.

• Options
    Yeah, playing some more I've found destroy/expend to be good options to take on basic attacks. Maybe not so much on defenses, since there are a lot of times when you want to protect something and defense seems a lot harder to come by in the drafts.

Also I have found the glory that is Pale Turnabout Boosted Powder Keg. Feels like drawing a flourish.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It is such a delightfully busted combo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm really enjoying the daily challenges. They're nicely bite-sized but not so light that strategy doesn't matter.

Had an extremely fun Smith boss rush today that started out with a Tomb Relic (1 action per 6 cards in discard) and just drank and drank and drank. Apparently there's a card called Entire Supply where Smith does a giant bottle avalanche for 2 + 2 per bottle to everybody? I actually had to slow my roll against Kashio so I could draw the point card out of my deck for its last hatch.

A brief explanation: Smith is a trashfire, and as a result one of his primary combat mechanics is the Drink keyword, which puts some number of Empty Bottle cards in his discard pile. If you draw empties you can play them for free to draw another card, so they don't really clog the deck. Many of Smith's other cards will throw empty bottles out of the deck to repeat attacks, make enemies vulnerable, cut down incoming damage, and of course, get more drinks.

Glazius on
  • Options
    Lesson from today's negotiation boss rush with Sal: Level Playing Field (all cards are +3 damage this turn, you take +1 damage for the next 2 turns) does some extremely busted things to Rapid Fire (deal 2 damage at random, spend all your influence to go again 1 for 1).

• Options
    Finally beat Prestige 2 Smith. He takes a while to get going but once he's set up you're pretty gold with him. Now to try the prestige brawls with everybody.

I kind of like brawls because they give everybody access to pets, card vendors, and hireable goons, but they slightly trivialize the fights where the game expects you to be alone.

• Options
    Would you say overall brawl is easier than the campaign? I've not played it since 1.0 but the last big change during early access was removing the free Cosmic tier graft and adding the choice between two missions in the mode.

• Options
    Would you say overall brawl is easier than the campaign? I've not played it since 1.0 but the last big change during early access was removing the free Cosmic tier graft and adding the choice between two missions in the mode.

I think the best way to describe Brawl is more consistent. You're not going to get jumped by Spree or Admiralty or wild crayotes when you're limping back to heal from your last mission. You're also not going to run into Plundak selling boss grafts from a previous run or another grifter with a few hundred shills and a boss fight.

Overall things are a little more challenging, especially since you have fewer chances to level your cards, but you also get a boss graft every day. The real attraction is not losing your run to a bad surprise.

• Options
    Today's daily challenge was a cave escape with Rook, basically a series of pick-two encounters leading up to a day 1 boss fight, with bonus objectives to end above 50% health and end with full health. And the mutator that cards "upgrade" into random other cards. Found two allies on my way out, only used combat, and honestly lucked into clearing both of those objectives by picking an opening strategy (full charge/overcharge) that was supported by the upgrades on my starting deck. (Of course, "random" might be a better way to describe it - daily challenges operate with a fixed seed for all random elements.)

I really like what they've done with the daily challenges - they're extremely abbreviated versions of the much longer normal runs, with a selection of mutators that add some gameplay variety to the setups.

• Options
    Finished up a Smith brawl with like 10 people hating me, though admittedly I did take the boss negotiation graft that gives you an extra action but makes three people hate you.

I was running an adrenaline/trauma build. Trauma gives people a status effect that counts up every time they take damage, and on 10 the stacks clear and they take double damage from the next thing that hits them. Adrenaline is a temporary damage boost, as distinct from "temporary power" in that you don't get a clearable debuff that takes your power back down at the end of the turn. I had so much damage boost rolling that it was hard to exactly knock people into the hit point range where they surrender without killing them, which of course makes their friends mad at you.

• Options
    If you haven't tried it yet going for the Archenemy achievement (Get 20 people to hate you) leads to interesting runs. Betray your "allies", run away from quest critical battles, and execute people (50% chance) all will earn you more hate. Also note not all 20 have to be alive at the end of the run for it to count.

• Options
    Yeah, I do kind of like how all the achievements for this game are actually achievements and not just things you'll get on your way to beating the game.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind having some of the regular grifts copied over to the achievement panel. Feels weird to have over 10 successful runs and no achievements.

• Options
    Been giving Brawl a fair shake with Rook and by the end he is drowning with actions. Interestingly the day 4 boss has been more difficult than the final one for me since you can't hire allies to help you out.

• Options
    Oh yeah, Brawl can unlock some real kickin' showdowns, what with the like five or six boss artifacts it gives you, compared to maybe two or three from a normal one. High risk, high reward!