As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to Cold Stone and get your nacho mix-in cone today! [bad food]

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have eaten like shit for the past few days, just basically surviving off the nonperishable shit I had left over from my last grocery store run a month ago. Tonight I'm thinking I will treat myself to some delivery or takeout, but...nothing sounds particularly good. Entice me, bad food thread. What sounds good to you?

PS: I have access to no Vietnamese, Korean, Thai or Indian.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I have eaten like shit for the past few days, just basically surviving off the nonperishable shit I had left over from my last grocery store run a month ago. Tonight I'm thinking I will treat myself to some delivery or takeout, but...nothing sounds particularly good. Entice me, bad food thread. What sounds good to you?

Chinese?

Captain Inertia
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Piada is pretty much the only place I’d consider for fast Italian, I think they just started in Ohio 10 years ago but are expanding fast

Basically chipotle but pasta bowls

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The town I went to college in had a truck stop with a diner type restaurant that was open all night. Students would go there and just study with a pot of coffee etc. Or a group would go and get a big thing of cheese fries. They were really good cheese fries and the large size was like, a large cookie sheet full. Enough for like a dozen people. And really good milkshakes where they'd bring you glass and also the canister with basically just as much shake in there that they couldn't fit in the glass.

My freshman year my girlfriend and went there so often (not exactly a lot to do in that town) that after a while when we walked through the door the waiters would just say, "take a table, I'll get your cheese fries going and bring out 2 dr peppers."

this happened with me at the 24-hour diner I used to live a few blocks away from

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, there was a place that did that with their shakes and malts up where I went to college (there's several colleges in a short distance from there). They've had to close that location since, but there is another one I mean to go to after the whole pandemic, it's too far for take out and it's not the same.

Burgers and fries weren't amazing but were passable. It was the malts you went there for.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Ramen if you've got a decent place

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I think the most important thing on nachos are the two big balancing factors for cheese, an acid (I like salsa, jalapenos work, too) and something salty, almost always black olives. If you give me a nachos that is chips, cheese, salsa and black olives, that's the perfect combination. Sour cream is, like, fine, but once it gets warm it loses 90% of its purpose, so I usually opt out.

Also, I am of the opinion that totchos are better than nachos. We can fight about it if you want, but I warn you, I will bring a baseball bat.

So I'm snowed in, so I couldn't go too crazy with the ingredients. But I did make some nachos with some capers I had in the fridge and some smoked chipotle Tabasco I had in the cabinet. And I'll be damned if you're not right, that did boost my basic-ass nachos to a considerable degree.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    Pinfeldorf
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The town I went to college in had a truck stop with a diner type restaurant that was open all night. Students would go there and just study with a pot of coffee etc. Or a group would go and get a big thing of cheese fries. They were really good cheese fries and the large size was like, a large cookie sheet full. Enough for like a dozen people. And really good milkshakes where they'd bring you glass and also the canister with basically just as much shake in there that they couldn't fit in the glass.

My freshman year my girlfriend and went there so often (not exactly a lot to do in that town) that after a while when we walked through the door the waiters would just say, "take a table, I'll get your cheese fries going and bring out 2 dr peppers."

this happened with me at the 24-hour diner I used to live a few blocks away from

Going to uni is South Jersey, we had about three or four diners we would frequent.

We had our own booth, never got charged for our drinks, and at times not even for the food. We would sit there for hours, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and talk about the plan for the theatre show the next day.

And then we'd tip like 50% on whatever the order was.

We even got the entire diner singing "Build Me Up Buttercup" one night. It was glorious.

JedocApocalyptusRhesus PositivesarukunCalica
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Oh, turns out there are two Fazoli’s in the entire state of California. I didn’t realize they were largely centered on Kentucky and Indiana.

Makes sense. We have no taste

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    How an NYC Sushi Chef Prepares 300 Takeout Omakases — Omakase 9:01
    https://youtu.be/bzhkSeA5qPw
    Like so many chefs in the pandemic, Kissaki chef Mark Garcia needed a plan for weathering the shutdown of his four sushi restaurants across the New York area. That’s where his stellar omakase to-go boxes came in, which became a huge hit. Between the restaurants, his teams make 200 to 300 boxes a night filled with bluefin akami, kamasu with tomatillo, aji topped with herbs and miso sauce, and more.

Credits:
    Director/Producer: Pelin Keskin
    Camera: Pelin Keskin, Carla Francescutti
    Editor: Scott Kan

Executive Producer: Stephen Pelletteri
    Development Producer: McGraw Wolfman
    Coordinating Producer: Stefania Orrù
    Audience Engagement: Daniel Geneen, Terri Ciccone

Bucketman
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    So

I’ve been wanting to make salsa con queso for fuckin ages.

Getting the proper melting cheese here is nigh on impossible unless you’re gonna pay $texas. I want some, but I don’t $35 for a block of velveeta want it.

So I ordered those citrate crystals that makes any cheese melt nicely. Customs fuckin cut it all open because they thought it was meth or some shit. I get 1/10 of a bag left by the time it gets to me. I complain, after three weeks of fighting I get a new one sent out.

The new one goes fuckin missing?!? I ordered it during the holiday forum!!

Also weird side note, I made a fun new friend during the holiday hangout, both of us losing our minds about these citrate crystals, then on like the day or so before the forum shuts down he would not shut the fuck up about having butt sex with his girlfriend for the first time and he got banned. Very strange experience

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    GlallonelyahavaPeasJedocSorceBlackDragon480Captain InertiaBucketmanShortyKane Red RobeknitdanApocalyptusThe Escape Goat
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Chemicals...queso...butt-sex...breathtaking...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Orca3cl1ps3BucketmanBahamutZEROTefBhow
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Deep Fried Mac & Cheese Burrito

https://youtu.be/Xs-R5uISWws

sig.gif
    JedocRhesus PositiveCentipede DamascusGlalBucketmanVeldrinPeas
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    How an NYC Sushi Chef Prepares 300 Takeout Omakases — Omakase 9:01
    https://youtu.be/bzhkSeA5qPw
    Like so many chefs in the pandemic, Kissaki chef Mark Garcia needed a plan for weathering the shutdown of his four sushi restaurants across the New York area. That’s where his stellar omakase to-go boxes came in, which became a huge hit. Between the restaurants, his teams make 200 to 300 boxes a night filled with bluefin akami, kamasu with tomatillo, aji topped with herbs and miso sauce, and more.

Credits:
    Director/Producer: Pelin Keskin
    Camera: Pelin Keskin, Carla Francescutti
    Editor: Scott Kan

Executive Producer: Stephen Pelletteri
    Development Producer: McGraw Wolfman
    Coordinating Producer: Stefania Orrù
    Audience Engagement: Daniel Geneen, Terri Ciccone

Well I found out where I'm going to drop an embarrassing amount of money on a meal next time I'm in New York.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Bucketman
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    x-posting from jobs thread - don't cross the picket line!

Text: BREAKING: Fast food workers nationwide are going on strike for $15 an hour, COVID-safe workplaces, and respect on the job February 16. #FightFor15 workers have been fighting too long for higher wages. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/12/fast-food-workers-15-cities-black-history-month-strike-15-an-hour

Tweeter is an account that tweets about the minimum wage.

GlalTefBlackDragon480TofystedethMaddocBahamutZEROApocalyptusSorceRhesus PositiveBucketmanCalica
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Bit of a different experience in NZ for college food, we went for cheap. There is a Korean pancake stand near my University, and they used to have a sugar/cinnamon filled pancake for ~$.5. Immediately after getting it, it was like sticking your tongue directly to the sun, but they were fantastic for keeping you awake, and absurdly cheap. I've been back a few times, but these days they've put the price up, and it's almost invariably got a queue of business people from the cbd ( who were, to be fair, almost certainly students when I was).

n57PM0C.jpg
    Tef
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just found out about Burger King Canada's all dressed chicken nuggets and man, the US has really lost the fast food war

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Just found out about Burger King Canada's all dressed chicken nuggets and man, the US has really lost the fast food war

We don't have poutine here, we lost that war hard

Commander ZoomKane Red RobeMichaelLCCentipede DamascusBlackDragon480SorcesarukunThegreatcowBucketman3cl1ps3
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    all the Burger King nuggets I've had in Canada have been absolute trash. Dry and stale like cardboard.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    all the Burger King nuggets I've had in Canada have been absolute trash. Dry and stale like cardboard.

Burger King nuggets are trash in the US too.

OptyBucketmantynicThe Lovely BastardInvisibleInk
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah they go bad real quick. like most fast food they're a lot better if you order them fresh. I suspect they were one of the most oft-stolen food items at the burger king I worked at in high school just because they're so good when they're right out of the frier.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

Burger King nuggets are trash in the US too.

My dogs say otherwise but the BK I get them from they are fresh and the bike ride/walk home
    To give them to pushy dachshunds

Lost Salient
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bad for me, probably undercooked, but I wanted to finish off these patties.

jmh8EWRh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Centipede DamascusJedocBahamutZEROwebguy20SorceRhesus PositiveMichaelLCIloveslimesBucketman3cl1ps3Elvenshae
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Home made burgers are not inherently bad for you.

webguy20Veldrin
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's a little pink, yeah. Cooking them longer wasn't an option?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's a little pink, yeah. Cooking them longer wasn't an option?

I was hungry. :D But I learned my lesson.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I want to grill so bad

My grill is under a foot of snow and the weather ain’t getting any warmer for some time...

I want to grill so bad

My grill is under a foot of snow and the weather ain’t getting any warmer for some time...

I'm using my grill to track snow accumulation. Luckily I have a George Foreman grill too.

WpNE6TEh.jpg

TefRhesus PositiveBucketman
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    We don't have poutine here, we lost that war hard
    I am continually amazed that Poutine is not a bigger thing in the States. I mean, fried potatoes covered in gravy with cheese on top? You'd think that would be on every fast food/diner menu.
    But, no, the closest thing we get is the KFC sadness bowl.

I want to grill so bad
    No need to wait for the weather to warm up. Grilling in the snow is a time honored tradition for any state that regularly gets snow. Just sweep as much snow off the grill as you can, then fire that baby up.
    Maybe shovel a bit out around the grill, enough room for you to stand in without wading through the snow.
    A big snow bank is nature's beer cooler.

Commander Zoomwebguy20SorceTofystedethtynicKane Red Robe
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

McDonald’s is launching their new chicken sandwich on the 24th.

I will definitely try it but the press photo isn’t inspiring the most confidence. The bun and pickles look fine, but the chicken looks too moist, like it won’t have a nice crunch from the breading.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Spicy or gtfo

PinfeldorfOrcajgeisAlexandierMichaelLCDoodmannTofystedethBucketman3cl1ps3mightyjongyoShorty
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    So

I’ve been wanting to make salsa con queso for fuckin ages.

Getting the proper meeting cheese here is nigh on impasible unless you’re gonna pay $texas. I want some, but I don’t $35 for a block of velveeta want it.

So I ordered those citrate crystals that makes any cheese melt nicely. Customs fuckin cut it all open because they thought it was meth or some shit. I get 1/10 of a bag left by the time it gets to me. I complain, after three weeks of fighting I get a new one sent out.

The new goes fuckin missing?!? I orders it during the holiday forum!!

Also weird side note, I made a fun new friend during the holiday hangout, both of losing our minds about these citrate crystals, then on like the day or so of the forum he would not shut the fuck up about having butt sex with his girlfriend for the first time. Very strange experience

if you're looking for a (probably substandard) substitution, one idea is using some evaporated milk. In Kenji Lopez-Alt's 3-ingredient mac & cheese video, he talks about how evaporated milk has the same (or similar) chemicals that make cheese melt smoothly instead of grainy. I've used it for a few melting cheese applications with varying success, but it might be worth a try for queso.

Tef
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Spicy or gtfo

As a counter to this, while I love a spicy sandwich, the maple bacon chicken breakfast biscuit from Wendys is pretty fucking good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Happy Lunar New Years y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwgp81YiOfs

May your bellies stay full with bad good food.

“KBB real quick to see who’ll do the dishes” is a great line that takes me back to grade school.

• TefTef Registered User regular

No you’re breathtaking!

(Are we still doing this, is this still cool?)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

No you’re breathtaking!

(Are we still doing this, is this still cool?)

I do think I'm a catch, thank you for noticing.

And looking at that mac and cheese burrito, doesn't deep-frying elevate it to the Wade Wilson approved vehicle that is a chimichanga?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    TefsarukunKane Red Robe
    I might grab some spicy nuggets today, it's been months since I've hated myself for my food choices.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Quality costs money, so most fast food places won't be interested in food items that are pricier than dirt they can shovel in front of the customer.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I might grab some spicy nuggets today, it's been months since I've hated myself for my food choices.

You might not want to today since McDs employees are striking.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

MichaelLCDoodmannKetarBucketmanCaptain InertiaDouglasDangerJedocBlackDragon480Maddoc#pipe3cl1ps3TofystedethTefShortysarukunSorceApocalyptusKane Red Robe
    Doodmann wrote: »

You might not want to today since McDs employees are striking.

My moral compass and gastrointestinal tract thank you.

Librarian's ghostCommander ZoomTefSorceElvenshae
This discussion has been closed.