As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    I know an awful lot of fat activists and can't say I've ever met someone with that opinion, but you do you.

Lucky you!

When I reached a point where I began to be limited in what I could do due to being obese and decided to lose weight, I had several people quite firmly tell me that I would be much healthier remaining a morbidly obese person, and that any form of calorie restriction was inherently disordered eating and physically/mentally bad for me. When I talked about how important it was for me to walk through cities while travelling, and how I would frequently end up taking 30k+ steps in a day and that my size was making that hard/impossible, I was told that the human body simply wasn’t meant to walk that far in a day. I know that at least one person who said that if our province prioritizes providing vaccines to people with BMI over 40 like some states have done then it’s another example of fatphobia in action.

How about you go argue with those people, then? Literally nobody else needs to hear it.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    they didn't get pissed because cleanses don't work. they got pissed because lizzo should not try to lose weight because she is perfectly healthy the way she is and she's such an inspiration and now I feel betrayed

The problem here is not with Lizzo attempting to lose weight, the problem is idolization of celebrity; see every single time a celebrity puts on a pound of water weight and looks different in the tabloids. Alternatively, the unending praise for Adele losing weight could indicate a level of racial bias in the reporting as well

This is all fairly separate from the conversation about not repeatedly informing obese people of their health concerns, though, or assigning value to pounds shed when whether or not they're eating well, having nutritious meals, working out, etc., is all way more important for health than the number on the scale

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My board session was good. Developed a new hard project. Last one was powerful moves using pinches, edges, high feet and undercuts; this one is like, three massive moves on micro-crimps where your feet are terrible and miles away. I will let you all know if my tendons pop lol

Anyway yeah probbo a 7A again. I am trying to compare the board problems with outdoor problems rather than indoor problems (which I think even in places that prize themselves with hard setting... outdoors is just way harder. Always).

Solar on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so some of my other exercise (Supernatural VR, Ring Fit) dropped off a bit because walking 2-3 hours a day was leaving my legs tired/sore enough that I didn't want to push it further, and the walking was more important as my dog needs/enjoys the exercise too.

Well, my legs now laugh at the walks, so it's time to start adding the additional stuff back in, which is nice. Progress! Also we're almost into nice enough weather to start biking to work again.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I want to be able to get on a bike again.

It'll be nice to get the balance back.

And also be able to but a standard bike and not have to find one that can hold my fat ass without bending out of shape.

I'd like to get back into some more core stuff, like crunches, but I have a hard time on the floor. I had good luck with Swiss balls last time. But the heaviest you can be is like 115kg, or the ball will fucking pop. And lemme tell you, that's a blow to the fucking ego and motivation right there.

So in order to get access to the things that will help me get my goals of weight loss, I need to lose weight. And not an insignificant amount either. I need to lose a whole five year old worth of weight. 16kg before I can even think about getting exercise equipment. That's over 30lbs. Before I'm even able to consider using things to help me.

I have to lose some people's entire weight loss goals before the capitalist society even deems me worthy to get exercise accessories.

It's just so tiring being fat.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

On that note, there’s also a worldwide bike shortage right now. On the plus side, as the pandemic comes to an end, nearly-new bikes may start hitting the market at a discount at some point this summer or fall if and when people decide that they don’t actually want them.

Anecdotally, some of my coworkers who still need to be present in the office are cycling to work right now specifically because there’s less traffic on the roads, which makes them feel much safer on the commute than otherwise. When things go back to some version of normal, I don’t know how many will keep cycling.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I did a quick Google

It looks like the brand best suited for me at the moment is sixthreezero. Steel frame, can hold up to 300lbs.

The cheapest option on one of them is $890nzd.

It's just not an accessible exercise for me until I lose enough weight to get onto an aluminium frame bike.

It's just another gate.

• Options
    edited March 2021

And also be able to but a standard bike and not have to find one that can hold my fat ass without bending out of shape.

I'd like to get back into some more core stuff, like crunches, but I have a hard time on the floor. I had good luck with Swiss balls last time. But the heaviest you can be is like 115kg, or the ball will fucking pop. And lemme tell you, that's a blow to the fucking ego and motivation right there.

So in order to get access to the things that will help me get my goals of weight loss, I need to lose weight. And not an insignificant amount either. I need to lose a whole five year old worth of weight. 16kg before I can even think about getting exercise equipment. That's over 30lbs. Before I'm even able to consider using things to help me.

I have to lose some people's entire weight loss goals before the capitalist society even deems me worthy to get exercise accessories.

It's just so tiring being fat.

I'm really, incredibly sorry that gym equipment is not designed with real accessibility in mind, but admire that you're putting in the work despite it to try and feel better - that's real mental and emotional fortitude, I'm proud of you for it!

It's tremendously fucked up that you have to go through these additional hurdles to try and achieve the level of fitness you want, when it can be pretty tough going already

I'm actually a little surprised gym equipment hasn't gone through the same realization as online clothing stores of "oh, people do exist at this size and want to wear clothes that have a modicum of tailoring" that started to hit like 5 years ago

You'd think affordable, accessible home gym equipment would make quite a bit of money

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Oh hey I found a steel frame bike down here. A few of them.

What? The lowest price at this place is $2000nzd?

Oki think I'm done venting about my problems today.

Time to get on the scale and do my Monday walk.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    The problem with affordable home exercise equipment is that for the last year everybody in the world has been buying it because they are either a) uncomfortable going to a gym b) unable to go to the gym due to lockdown closing doors temporarily or permanently.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    The problem with affordable home exercise equipment is that for the last year everybody in the world has been buying it because they are either a) uncomfortable going to a gym b) unable to go to the gym due to lockdown closing doors temporarily or permanently.

Yeah my focus was less on affordable and more on accessible equipment like

Existing

I'm not really speaking from a pandemic lens here, these issues are not new

Steam
  • Options

Also, a lot of equipment and bikes, were being manufactured in China, or had parts made in China. Trump’s trade war with China disrupted supply chains. Companies were in the process of relocating manufacturing to Japan, Korea and Vietnam when Covid hit. So, there was both a supply shortage and a demand surge.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    So after our discussion I did go to the doctor and was set up with some ancillary services. I felt kind of good after so I celebrated by eating a whole pizza and taking a food coma nap that lasted 16 hours.

I didn't feel particularly bad about it, and after thinking for a while, I realized that I haven't felt particularly anything for 7 years. Everything I've felt, including the willingness to lose weight and get fit and not spend my rapidly approaching sunset years in something other than a wheelchair on chronic pain medication, I've felt only casually. This didn't used to be the case but more than ever after this pandemic, I've felt like a ball of permafrost with a thin topsoil layer where sprouts of real passion, emotion, and motivation can grow but never take root.

I don't feel anxious. I don't feel depressed. I don't feel happy. I don't look forward to the future. I just feel - more stable than I should, given the circumstances. The only real and deep emotion I've felt in the past couple of years was when several of my close family members died - everything unrelated to that feels somehow not very important, but even before then I was feeling sort of like this. It has become very apparent to me why I can't hang on to any fitness regimen - I don't want it, or anything, enough. The most motivation I feel towards something is little more than a flight of fancy, and the only reason I accomplish anything is that my negative emotions are just as superficial - as long as nothing externally gets in my way in more than a superficial manner, I can remain productive, remain exercising, and remain eating healthily.

I wonder if this state is something familiar to anyone else and what the remedy is for it, because the way I'm describing it now makes a lot of sense to explain my patterns of behavior.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I had three treadmills in a row throw error messages & shut down on me today.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    So after our discussion I did go to the doctor and was set up with some ancillary services. I felt kind of good after so I celebrated by eating a whole pizza and taking a food coma nap that lasted 16 hours.

I didn't feel particularly bad about it, and after thinking for a while, I realized that I haven't felt particularly anything for 7 years. Everything I've felt, including the willingness to lose weight and get fit and not spend my rapidly approaching sunset years in something other than a wheelchair on chronic pain medication, I've felt only casually. This didn't used to be the case but more than ever after this pandemic, I've felt like a ball of permafrost with a thin topsoil layer where sprouts of real passion, emotion, and motivation can grow but never take root.

I don't feel anxious. I don't feel depressed. I don't feel happy. I don't look forward to the future. I just feel - more stable than I should, given the circumstances. The only real and deep emotion I've felt in the past couple of years was when several of my close family members died - everything unrelated to that feels somehow not very important, but even before then I was feeling sort of like this. It has become very apparent to me why I can't hang on to any fitness regimen - I don't want it, or anything, enough. The most motivation I feel towards something is little more than a flight of fancy, and the only reason I accomplish anything is that my negative emotions are just as superficial - as long as nothing externally gets in my way in more than a superficial manner, I can remain productive, remain exercising, and remain eating healthily.

I wonder if this state is something familiar to anyone else and what the remedy is for it, because the way I'm describing it now makes a lot of sense to explain my patterns of behavior.

Anhedonia/depersonalization/derealization?

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

Existing

I can't get a Swiss ball unless I lose another 20kgs.
    I can't get a doorway rings set unless I lose another 20kgs.
    I can't get an aluminium frame bike unless I lose another 20kgs.

Cheap and accessible workout clothing with mass market appeal (think Lululemon) don't seem to go higher than size 20. I'm barely in size 24. If we go for the old adage that dress sizes are basically 10lbs, I need to lose 40lbs before I can even get into their gear.

This isn't new. This isn't pandemic related.

Weight loss is a profitable business model until you get to a certain size. Then you might as well just give up if you're bigger than that because you either can't get the equipment that could help because it doesn't exist, or you can't afford it.

It's not always laziness that kept me the size that I am. It's not having enough spoons to get past the gates in my way.

I'm expanding on cello's point, not arguing

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

Anhedonia/depersonalization/derealization?

Interesting hypothesis - so interesting I wonder if I should introduce this concept to my COVID-19 study group, as I feel like part of the DES-B describes things I have had difficulty putting into words. However, I don't think full blown depersonalization/derealization disorder fits my syndrome as I know what that's like. Hypoemotionality fits me to a T, however - and a lot of other people I know in la belle indifference. I'll bring it up on my next visit in a few weeks.

Now what to do about exercise in the meantime?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

I’m not a doctor, but: what you’re describing isn’t necessarily not depression.

Your post reminded me a lot of an experience with depression that I’ve read before, on Hyperbole and a Half.

Trigger warning regarding depressive thoughts, the below are quotes from the person’s experience:
    From part 1:
    I spent months shut in my house, surfing the internet on top of a pile of my own dirty laundry which I set on the couch for "just a second" because I experienced a sudden moment of apathy on my way to the washer and couldn't continue.
    I just drifted around, completely unsure of what I was feeling or whether I could actually feel anything at all.
    Normally, I would have felt an instant, crushing sense of self-consciousness, but instead, I felt nothing.

From part 2:
    But my experiences slowly flattened and blended together until it became obvious that there's a huge difference between not giving a fuck and not being able to give a fuck. Cognitively, you might know that different things are happening to you, but they don't feel very different.
    At first, I'd try to explain that it's not really negativity or sadness anymore, it's more just this detached, meaningless fog where you can't feel anything about anything — even the things you love, even fun things — and you're horribly bored and lonely, but since you've lost your ability to connect with any of the things that would normally make you feel less bored and lonely, you're stuck in the boring, lonely, meaningless void without anything to distract you from how boring, lonely, and meaningless it is.

• Options
    Anyways

Last week: 131.2kgs
    This week: 131.2kgs

Yeah ok

• Options
    I fluctuate between 125-130kg. I do a lot of my “core” work on a bench or with bands / cables precisely because I don’t want to get on and off the ground.

Do it on the bed if the floor is a challenge.

• Options

Existing

Okay

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    exercise bands are cheap and good. my home 'gym' set up cost me about $20

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Paladin I am very well acquainted with what you are feeling, however I have not yet found a remedy, but I shall let you know if I do.

However, establishing strict routines does at least negate some of the need for motivation? Like there is a small element of satisfaction that comes from checking off the boxes and analyzing the data.

• Options
    I used to be pretty deft at scheduling despite not being a type A personality, it's just that it's so much easier to do for a person with a clear, persevering ambition who only lacks logistics. I used to follow strict exercise routines out of I guess some sort of contrarian stubbornness that I can't even fully recall - I think it was actually easier to do when I was doubted or disparaged by other people and had something to prove. That, or I'm conflating my experiences with some book or movie.

Regarding depression, I don't know if in the end it will be diagnosable but I feel like brainstorming what factors and what feelings influence your behavior is kind of like a poor man's CBT. At least in terms of motivating behavior change, which I presume is the core of any fitness program. The problem is, I hear, that when it is unguided it can also lead to self-destructive rumination. It's a very fine line - probably.

Anyway, I don't want to distract this thread into a group therapy session centered around me. I just wanted to do what everyone else is doing - check in out of courtesy to the people that tried to help and provide a puzzle piece of my own experiences that may fit in someone else's jigsaw of figuring themselves out. Everything is appreciated.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Almost up to month without sugar pop again.

I've had like 3 no calorie diet ones but only when the cravings were particularly bad and I don't have them just laying around to just have.

Still 410. Still got some health issues going on though they have gotten a bit better with a round of meds and an inhaler. Got some more tests and follow-ups to do though even though it's really draining.

I tell you what doesn't help is when someone you really care about tries to encourage you by telling you how they are cutting out pretty much all carbs and jumping into a new highly active job and losing weight really fast and it feels like they are implying that I am somehow lazy for not doing exactly the same thing. It's a bummer. But they are just like that I guess, not intentionally making me feel bad but I have a hard time talking to them about my issues (we're really close friends) without feeling like I'm being judged for not taking it seriously enough or something.

• Options

I've had like 3 no calorie diet ones but only when the cravings were particularly bad and I don't have them just laying around to just have.

There’s absolutely nothing to worry about with drinking diet pop, if your palate is able to adjust to the taste difference. IMO, if you enjoy it or it helps with cravings, go for it.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

There’s absolutely nothing to worry about with drinking diet pop, if your palate is able to adjust to the taste difference. IMO, if you enjoy it or it helps with cravings, go for it.

Is a bad habit for me because while it does taste mostly like regular soda I'll end up drinking it like I used to drink regular soda or worse and give myself another kidney stone.

The issue with sweet drinks, or any liquids really is that it's an addiction, a kind of compulsive fixation on always having something to sip on for the dopamine hit I used to get from sugar soda. So I have to be really mindful of everything I drink even water because I've come close to water toxicity in the past drinking it compulsively.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Jars wrote: »
    they didn't get pissed because cleanses don't work. they got pissed because lizzo should not try to lose weight because she is perfectly healthy the way she is and she's such an inspiration and now I feel betrayed

The problem here is not with Lizzo attempting to lose weight, the problem is idolization of celebrity; see every single time a celebrity puts on a pound of water weight and looks different in the tabloids. Alternatively, the unending praise for Adele losing weight could indicate a level of racial bias in the reporting as well

there very well could be a racial aspect, that reminds me of a something I listened to. it was a black woman who was obese, disordered eating(binge eating) that did the full 180 and lost all the weight and became a body builder. One of the things she talked about was how at the start she got a lot of pushback from her friends about how dieting was a "white woman" thing. it was a perspective I'd never heard before.

I don't really have a point this, I just thought it was interesting.

Jars on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    It's also gross how weight loss is seen as a cure all for numerous conditions that affect women.

My wife was told to lose 42 lbs and her severe endometriosis would magically get better. That's the only thing the doctor said, after a year of waiting for an appointment. Well that and "remortgage your house to pay for IVF and a hysterectomy".

SharpyVII on
  • Options

Doctors look at weight loss in the way that technicians look at “turn it off and back on again.”

It sometimes fixes the problem, and it takes no effort from the person giving the prescription.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    dropping 80lbs helped my feet/ankle problems (not 100% but a LOT), my cholesterol, my blood pressure, and my overall happiness (though the later is probably on a case by case basis).

I'm 100% not saying that it cures everything what ails ya, but I'd wager it's more helpful than not.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Yes, obviously it will help specifically issues related to extra weight on the body.
    It's also pretty much what no one else is referencing

• Options
    JenneroseJennerose Registered User regular
    Like yeah losing weight will help my fatty liver (and is something I am working on but even if I wasn't, I don't actually owe anybody perfect health) but it won't help my hemocromatosis or endometriosis, both of which are a problem no matter what I weigh.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Doctors look at weight loss in the way that technicians look at “turn it off and back on again.”

It sometimes fixes the problem, and it takes no effort from the person giving the prescription.

My dad was a doctor and yeah I think just saw it as like an easy thing to recommend since the accepted position was that a healthy weight is was lower than whatever his patients were, and weight has knock-on effects sooo... I hope he wasn't an awful doctor for fat people to go to but I bet he had more than a few frustrated patients be like oh cool doc I'll just drop 50lbs quick and check if that helps.

I generally have gotten much more out of trying to increase weights lifted and time spent biking, with some incidental weight loss. I find focus on weight loss alone encourages bad habits for me.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s very specifically a thing that women’s health issues are dismissed by doctors in favour of losing weight, especially if it’s related to their reproductive systems, though I have also heard many stories of broken bones and spinal problems also being dismissed.

It takes an average of 10 years for a woman to even be diagnosed with endometriosis, let alone receive treatment.

And women are more like to have thyroid problems and PCOS, both of which are linked to weight issues.

I was told to follow a diabetic diet because my blood sugar showed me as pre-diabetic, as well as lose weight, of course. Saw another doctor and got back on thyroid meds and since then my blood sugar has been perfect (and 20 points lower than Mori’s) and my cholesterol lowered and that was without any dietary or lifestyle changes. Losing weight may help *more* but having a functional thyroid was enough by itself.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2021
    My sister, at a BMI of 17, was told to 'lose weight because it will fix your PCOS'
    yes PCOS is weight correlated (though there's some evidence the causality is the other way)
    telling someone who is already dangerously underweight to 'lose weight' because it's on your PCOS checklist was some next-level dumbassery though

edit: also my mother's stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer probably went undiagnosed for too long because multiple doctors dismissed her symptoms as 'merely' weight related. Which killed her. So I have some personal beef with the way the medical community deals with the intersection of weight and women's health, to say the least.

tynic on
  • Options
    You can bill for weight loss counseling

You can't bill for giving people most tools to lose weight

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've also known a good number of skinny folks who have chronic health issues but are assumed to be in top shape because they're unusually small. It's just not a good enough indicator to be used so intensely and universally.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I've also known a good number of skinny folks who have chronic health issues but are assumed to be in top shape because they're unusually small. It's just not a good enough indicator to be used so intensely and universally.

Doctors can be bad in pretty much all directions.

My mother is in phenomenal shape. Even in her 60s, she runs 7k to 8k most days, and frequently walks on top of that. When she was younger, she went to doctors for years complaining about feeling tired all the time. Doctors were like “oh, you’re looking after two young kids, and exercising a lot, just get more sleep and eat more.” Eventually, one doctor thought “huh, maybe I should check her iron levels.” It turned out that she had some pretty severe anemia.

My brother is pretty lean and athletic; he went to the Canada Games for two different sports, he runs the local half marathon every year, he plays soccer every week. He told doctors for years that he was tired all the time. Doctors asked about family history, checked his blood iron, shrugged, and said to get more sleep. His girlfriend basically told him that when he slept, he sounded terrible, like he was choking and struggling to breathe. With her words in mind, he went to a doctor about the possibility of sleep apnea. He was initially basically laughed at, told “you’re skinny, you don’t have it.” He did eventually find a doctor who referred him to a sleep specialist, and now he’s getting appropriate treatment. I have an uncle who had a similar problem; he played hockey at a professional level in Europe, he runs marathons, and has been in fantastic shape all his life, so doctors didn’t take him seriously when he said that he was tired all the time. Even after multiple surgeries and still needs to use a CPAP machine.

My father isn’t quite so lean and athletic, but he’s still in pretty good shape. He also has a very high tolerance for physical pain. A few years ago, he started feeling pain in his lower right abdomen, along with some vomiting and fever. He went to his doctor. His doctor’s first thought was appendicitis, and prodded my father’s side, asking if that was painful. My father said yes. But his doctor expected that a person with appendicitis would have had a substantially more active response, so he shrugged and told my father to go home, get some rest, and have some fluids. A few days later, my mother dragged my father to the emergency room, where the doctors confirmed appendicitis, that his appendix had indeed ruptured, and basically said to buy a lotto ticket because the vast majority of people who go so long without treatment die.

I had an experience of my own where I walked into a hospital feeling like I had been hit by a truck. When I was admitted, they initially put me in the tank with people with suspected H1N1. The doctor who saw me first suggested it might be bad hangover (I don’t drink), or the flu (despite a complete lack of respiratory symptoms). He shrugged and walked away, telling a nurse to put an IV in my. I took my shirt off, and the nurse took one look at it and was like “Do you... have you... have you ever had Chicken Pox?” I said that I had not. She told me that as a nurse, she couldn’t diagnose me, but I had chicken pox (I did).

It’s not a huge sample size, but every member of my immediate family has had problems with not being taken seriously by doctors or being misdiagnosed.

• Options
    it's impressive the difference in arm fatigue I get between playing Beat Saber and Supernatural (Beat Saber but designed for workouts with squats/lunges, multisong playlists, voiceover coaching). The former can definitely work up a sweat, especially at higher difficulties, but my arms feel legitimately heavy after a Supernatural playlist.

I think the main difference is Supernatural used a lot of rapid side to side/up and down swings where you have to repeatedly reverse the direction your arm is swinging and work against yourself in that way. Also it measures swing power, meaning if you try to minimize your swings for efficiency/accuracy it will call you out at the end.