As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I've managed to lose 40 lbs since the beginning of march. Before i started my rad tech program me and my wife were taking the dog and the baby for a 3 mile walk almost every day or every other day depending on weather and stuff. Also just convinced her that her regular meal portions (southern) were enormous. So we've been eating about 500 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner and every once in a while a small snack. We also basically stopped eating out aside from ordering a pizza on a sunday every few weeks. The weight just falls off when you dont eat 4000 calories worth of crap every day. I must say it is difficult moderating snacks to just a snack back of chips instead of like a whole bag of doritos or a box of cheezits or something.

I think if i can lose another 5-10 ill be at a comfortable weight to start jogging again. When i was in the army it was around this weight that running started giving me knee/IT band problems, so hopefully under that weight i should be ok to actually get into shape. it's been like 6-7 years since ive really done any running so hopefully i dont have issues with it.

worst case, get you a foam roller and look up foam rolling stuff for before and after running. that's what I had to do to fix my knee/IT band issues with jogging.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    My weight loss stalled out a bit after a few pounds, mostly because lockdown didn't really facilitate much for calorie burning. My indoor bike has effectively been out of commission for two months because the Bowflex tech support unfortunately sucks (they sent the wrong parts and the repair guys therefore tried to wing fixing the left pedal, which somehow transferred the issue to the right pedal, and so now it's a wait for the full core of the bike to just get swapped out whenever it arrives in the next week or two)

I kept up with walking 4-5km per day but that also wasn't the best substitute because it kicked in some plantar fasciitis issues, big oops

But! This week I can hopefully start turning that around. Been doing physio for the feet which are doing better, and I'm going to drop in on a Muay Thai class tomorrow; hoping ideally to be able to do 3-4 classes of MT and BJJ per week, and that should get me back on target for my calorie burn needs

My physio is also helping bring in some weightlifting drills that we can work towards making a full workout, starting with freebody squats focused on form and depth only, which - turns out your knees don't hurt if you have good form! Weird, that

Hopefully August will be a better month for me in a fitness regard, we'll see!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bouldering is more social than lead, IMO

But yeah there is a cultural element too

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    My bouldering gym was very friendly in LA, quite chatty. My gym here in Portland is more top rope focused and people are nice. It just, doesn’t have the same “hey let’s all grab a beer after practice” that the SCA or HEMA had.

And while I enjoyed those, I also have a plate in my ankle from wrestling with german war knives. So, I was thinking a team sport may have more of that hang out after practice vibe I am hoping for to make friends in this new city, while also getting me in better shape.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I also seem to be stalled out a bit

I have been having trouble trying to get much activity in because of this chronic pain situation and it's been depressing me a lot so I over eat. I'm hovering around the upper 380s or so.

Hey at least the pulmonologist was able to lower my CPAP pressure today. Should be more comfortable. A few months ago he was thinking of putting me on a bipap.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My bouldering gym was very friendly in LA, quite chatty. My gym here in Portland is more top rope focused and people are nice. It just, doesn’t have the same “hey let’s all grab a beer after practice” that the SCA or HEMA had.

And while I enjoyed those, I also have a plate in my ankle from wrestling with german war knives. So, I was thinking a team sport may have more of that hang out after practice vibe I am hoping for to make friends in this new city, while also getting me in better shape.

My pro-tip there is to find a league that has a bar built into the venue

My ball hockey league I most recently played in had a convenient beeline from the gym to the bar upstairs after you wrapped up your game

Steam
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cello wrote: »

My pro-tip there is to find a league that has a bar built into the venue

My ball hockey league I most recently played in had a convenient beeline from the gym to the bar upstairs after you wrapped up your game

Futsal place I am checking out after work today has a bar upstairs! Hoping the folks there are nice.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I've managed to lose 40 lbs since the beginning of march. Before i started my rad tech program me and my wife were taking the dog and the baby for a 3 mile walk almost every day or every other day depending on weather and stuff. Also just convinced her that her regular meal portions (southern) were enormous. So we've been eating about 500 calories for lunch and 1000 for dinner and every once in a while a small snack. We also basically stopped eating out aside from ordering a pizza on a sunday every few weeks. The weight just falls off when you dont eat 4000 calories worth of crap every day. I must say it is difficult moderating snacks to just a snack back of chips instead of like a whole bag of doritos or a box of cheezits or something.

I think if i can lose another 5-10 ill be at a comfortable weight to start jogging again. When i was in the army it was around this weight that running started giving me knee/IT band problems, so hopefully under that weight i should be ok to actually get into shape. it's been like 6-7 years since ive really done any running so hopefully i dont have issues with it.

worst case, get you a foam roller and look up foam rolling stuff for before and after running. that's what I had to do to fix my knee/IT band issues with jogging.

i actually went to physical therapy and did stuff like that in the army. i never want to do that again. it didnt help which is why i want to make sure i dont put too much strain on my knee.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I need to look into some sports leagues here in Tokyo. I'm a little wary because in the past even more casual groups here have been SUPER competitive (nobody needs to get THAT into dodgeball).

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Times are tough right now, man. A friend of mine was looking to start a kickball gang but for obvious reasons he decided this may not be a good year for it. Maybe in the spring?

In the meantime, dodgeball's chilled out quite a lot! Though admittedly with all the bars closed, it kind of took the fun out of it. I was basically just showing up to drink with folks after the games.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    To be fair, the last time I went was several years ago, but all the guys there were like super ripped and decked out in tight-fitting anti-sweat gym shit, and halfway through I got my shoulder fucked up by a guy who wanted to get to a toss-up ball real bad

It's anecdotal to be sure, but yeah I just wanted to go and fuck around for a bit then grab some drinks, was not prepared for the level of competition there

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So a bit ago I started getting more towards the dad bod and "buddah belly" my family leans to and I did not like it. I thought I had it licked when I had to basically quit drinking during the pandemic, as if I didn't stop I probably was going to go pretty hard. Lost a fair amount of weight and was simultaneously happy (yay goals!) and scared (wait, I really didn't drink THAT much...did I?). Whelp it was neither being a good boy nor the stopping drinking. Had a rotten tooth under a crown pulled out a bit ago, and man, my appetite was BACK after that. So uh, those skinny pants I bought for my new size? Yup, popped a button on those walking around yesterday...so uh....climbing gym? I gotta workout more, because I'm a little dude (5'5 148lb aint' THAT big) already and I don't eat THAT much or that poorly. And about half the workdays I'm already cylcling too/from work which is another ~hour of light cardio on those days all told. 32 feels like a poor portent for what is to come, especially looking at my dad and uncles. Really makes me wish spot reduction was a thing, considering my body plan appears to be to throw everything it can right at my gut for a rainy day. It wouldn't matter too much except I rather LIKED how I looked more down at like..135ish, so I'd like to do that again, just without the rotten tooth I guess. This is mostly just to put it into the void and make me a little accountable.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I been doing a rec volleyball league and it's been a lot of fun and I forgotten how much I enjoy team sports. There's def teams that take it a bit too seriously, but it's been almost 100% posititive and chill.

My friend also plays in a soccer and kickball league, and she tells me horror stories about people playing too seriously/too rough.

• Options
    Well, scratch the mid-day Muay Thai check-in, as I've been feeling some anxiety while waiting to hear back on a job and it's hitting to an annoying degree today

But the same school has a no-gi BJJ class tonight so I'll hop in on that instead, especially as it is less likely to trigger my plantar fasciitis through their warmups etc

Steam
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Finding a rec league/team at your pace is key. There are definitely some people who try too hard, hell I was that guy when I started adult rec soccer in my day. But in the end it's not really worth it for hard tackles and injury risks in glorified beer leagues.

Even after I mellowed out there were always a few that wanted to go too hard. I remember the captain of one of my teams telling me if a guy was going to get past me on defense just give him a hip check or stick an ankle out to "remind him I was there". Little dirty shit that really had no appeal to me.

I'm playing in the lowest level coed league now in my area and it's about the right speed for my middle aged ass. There's still a team or a handful of players that are way too intense for the level but otherwise I think most people are just happy to be back out doing something and having a good time.

If you run into globo-gym on your first night keep looking, there are probably other teams or leagues more your speed.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    I gotta go to pt today but I slept pretty badly and feel like crap.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ya, ok - it's time for gloves.

Anyone have recommendations?

• Options
    Yeah I'm way to tired to drive safely to my pt appointment today but if I miss tomorrow they'll discharge me from the program.

It's impossible to sleep good at night with this pain though and at best I'm strung out all day every day ontop of everything else.

There is something wrong and none of these doctors will take me seriously and do any other tests besides a simple x-ray that doesn't show shit. I know that's all they can do in an er but the other doctors won't order anything else either. I'm losing my patience with this shit, and losing my mind. I was so excited when I started my CPAP that I finally had energy again to do things but now I'm just in so much pain every evening and morning that I just want to scream until my lungs give out.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Pro tip: if you want to gain weight just buy some pants that are slightly too small and say out loud "it's fine, I've been losing weight. These will fit perfectly next month."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Pro tip: if you want to gain weight just buy some pants that are slightly too small and say out loud "it's fine, I've been losing weight. These will fit perfectly next month."

I'm in this picture and

• Options
    PT is hard when you didn't sleep good, because this time your neighbors blasted music until 1am.

They had me do hand pedals and resistance band stuff today and I'm sore.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    PT is hard when you didn't sleep good, because this time your neighbors blasted music until 1am.

I know it sucked but glad you made it!

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

I know it sucked but glad you made it!

Ditto.

As for me, well August is already not my worst month for cycle miles this year. And actually my knees hurt, I've been doing well so far this year - 1200+ miles in June and July - with most pain/discomfort being muscular rather than jointular. So I'm glad I have a couple days annual leave so I won't have the commute (And I'm on AL to get my second Covid jab so yay), gonna take it easy and read and play computer games and watch movies I think. Rest up a bit.

I'm feeling pretty fit otherwise though which is good. Need to start deciding if I'm going to attempt next year's London-Edinburgh-London ride (1500km with a 125 hour time limit). I failed to complete in 2013 (achilles' injuries) and in 2017 I was trying to finish a degree and work full time. The only reason I can consider this running is that it got moved from 2021 to 2022 for obvious reasons.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think I have put on about 10 pounds, went out a hole (heh) on my belt, couple of shirts don't fit too well anymore

Walking past a big window that's functionally a mirror, think I see a paunch, walk up the stairs to my cube cussing, five minutes later I'm stressed and reaching for mini rice cakes

I realize I'm stress eating at work, in addition to being too busy to jog

I also work through lunch while eating at my desk between calls, and will often think fuck I'm full I over ate an hour after lunch

No more snacks in the cubicle

• Options
    So…

Rugby is pretty fun y’all.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have no idea why rugby is not more popular in the states

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Managed to get down 16 lbs in the last 3 months which is good.

I didn't actually lose any weight in July but I didn't gain any either. I'm actually pretty proud of that cause the 2 month mark is usually where I fall off and not only maintaining but being able to get back on the horse without too much trouble has been pretty reassuring.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Rugby sounds like it could be fun, but that it would also destroy me.

Speaking of sports that aren't more popular in the states, Cricket seems like it'd be pretty fun too.

• Options
    Desserted wrote: »

Speaking of sports that aren't more popular in the states, Cricket seems like it'd be pretty fun too.

There is also a cricket team in my area!

I think Rugby may eventually break me, perhaps cricket after that. I still want to check out some our team sports in my area but if I do end up going with Rugby I feel like putting on some mass in the form of muscles is a must.

• Options
    I think I have put on about 10 pounds, went out a hole (heh) on my belt, couple of shirts don't fit too well anymore

Walking past a big window that's functionally a mirror, think I see a paunch, walk up the stairs to my cube cussing, five minutes later I'm stressed and reaching for mini rice cakes

I realize I'm stress eating at work, in addition to being too busy to jog

I also work through lunch while eating at my desk between calls, and will often think fuck I'm full I over ate an hour after lunch

No more snacks in the cubicle

Having no snacks around is critical for me.

Not buying snacks means having willpower once at the store. Not eating snacks that exist at home/work means constantly exerting willpower. Eventually, willpower runs out.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Desserted wrote: »

There is also a cricket team in my area!

I think Rugby may eventually break me, perhaps cricket after that. I still want to check out some our team sports in my area but if I do end up going with Rugby I feel like putting on some mass in the form of muscles is a must.

Having grown up with cricket and rugby, I can say they're both sports you can play very casually and simply, or devote a lifetime to of trying to understand the vagaries and nuances. Cricket especially scales well from a knock-about with friends of all ages in the park to very intense multi-day tests.

I'm not sure if you're doing contact or tag rugby, but be warned that conditioning your body to the constant impacts is a big part of rugby training in the pre and early season. You will feel like you've been hit by a car for a while.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I realize outside of consistent exercise my biggest issue is snacks. Especially when I'm bored I tend to stack on a bunch of extra calories I wasn't paying attention too.

I haven't stopped snacking completely but I have stopped buying cookies as much(my biggest weakness) and usually when I do snack its stuff like fruit or yogurt.

And if I do want cookies I tend to just buy much smaller individual packs. Cause I know if I have an entire package sitting around there is a high chance I'll eat the one thing.

• Options
    Before I head for a day pass, for some person of reasonable (can do a couple pullups I guess and can bike a bit) fitness, who has never climbed, (and is a shorty with no real competitive nature) would you think I'd get more out of trying the auto belay or just bouldering at a climbing gym? Really just looking for something a bit fun and structured with a difficulty curve to work my back more.

• Options
    Before I head for a day pass, for some person of reasonable (can do a couple pullups I guess and can bike a bit) fitness, who has never climbed, (and is a shorty with no real competitive nature) would you think I'd get more out of trying the auto belay or just bouldering at a climbing gym? Really just looking for something a bit fun and structured with a difficulty curve to work my back more.

Both are totally fine. Personally I started bouldering, mostly because that’s all my gym had!

Bouldering you can “fall” but the falls are not from very high up at all. They seem scary at first but they are not. Similarly, autobelay you are higher up, which seems scary at first, but you are tied in so it’s not.

Bouldering tends to be less more powerful moves, auto belay tends to be more, easier moves.

If your gym has both, do both!

• Options
    Bouldering is, IMO, the better of the two because it's more mentally engaging. You need to figure shit out, on lead things are usually easier to see what to do, it's just a case of having the fitness to do them

Being short is actually pretty good for being a boulderer, too, incidentally!

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Solar wrote: »
    Bouldering is, IMO, the better of the two because it's more mentally engaging. You need to figure shit out, on lead things are usually easier to see what to do, it's just a case of having the fitness to do them

I am personally going to disagree here. That all really comes down to the route setters and well, the routes they are setting.

There are bouldering problems that are delicious little puzzles. There are bouldering problems that are dead obvious and just take crazy power, grip strength, or a huge throw.

Similarly, there are rope problems that are just endurance tests, but I’ve done plenty with fun drop knees, toe hooks, mantles, and other interesting moves I had to puzzle out like 30 feet up the wall.

Being short vs tall can help or hurt, depending again on the routes that are set, and also your climbing style. Sometimes being as tall as I am can make fitting into certain moves hard. Other times it lets me skip the hardest moves in an entire problem by reaching past them. Being short definitely isn’t a liability though, it just means you get to solve problems in different, fun ways!

Boulder and rope climbing are just different, I like both so I do both. If you like one, do just one. But it strikes me as rather silly to say that one is better than the other.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    friends, i'm in the worst shape i've been in in eons because of the pandemic essentially... fell off my routine, never managed to create a new one. had a few false starts here and there.

am having a hard time with really getting started again. i know i need to be patient, and i can't expect to be anywhere near where i was after nearly 2 years of inactivity, but it's hard to just pick something and commit to it and be patient

i used to lift in the gym 4 days a week. i mean, 5 years ago i could deadlift a ton, now i can barely do more than like 2 pull ups..

i have access to my apartment building's little gym with dumbbells and a few machines, i have the ability to work out in my apartment, but boy i'm just struggling with where to start and how to make it a habit again, even though i clearly have prior experience (but maybe that is part of it, impatience and frustration with how out of shape i let myself get)

hmph

(also a big part of it is wfh, so i feel guilty taking time for working out when i am so behind on all my work, even tho i can literally work out any time of day whenever... tho i spend eons on instagram and forums and twitter)

hm

i dunno if i have a specific question but i am just rambling about my frustrations with myself and my frailty

plus a few lingering injuries, but i can generally work around those for now and know how to

poo
  • Options
    friends, i'm in the worst shape i've been in in eons because of the pandemic essentially... fell off my routine, never managed to create a new one. had a few false starts here and there.

am having a hard time with really getting started again. i know i need to be patient, and i can't expect to be anywhere near where i was after nearly 2 years of inactivity, but it's hard to just pick something and commit to it and be patient

i used to lift in the gym 4 days a week. i mean, 5 years ago i could deadlift a ton, now i can barely do more than like 2 pull ups..

i have access to my apartment building's little gym with dumbbells and a few machines, i have the ability to work out in my apartment, but boy i'm just struggling with where to start and how to make it a habit again, even though i clearly have prior experience (but maybe that is part of it, impatience and frustration with how out of shape i let myself get)

hmph

(also a big part of it is wfh, so i feel guilty taking time for working out when i am so behind on all my work, even tho i can literally work out any time of day whenever... tho i spend eons on instagram and forums and twitter)

hm

i dunno if i have a specific question but i am just rambling about my frustrations with myself and my frailty

plus a few lingering injuries, but i can generally work around those for now and know how to

It’s fair to feel this way, the trick is to not beat yourself up about it. What matters is what you do today for your health, not the past.

When you used to have a super consistent habit or routine, folks always want to jump right back into it. But you can’t. Odds are it took you months if not years to make those habits or routines consistent.

Pick something small, make it consistent, layer from there. What exactly depends on your goals but it could be something as simple like “every Saturday I do these three lifts” or whatever. Do that until it becomes a habit or routine, add something else, rinse repeat.

Every journey begins with that first step. You want to go back to the marathon you were running before, but you can’t. But you can take that first step of a new marathon today.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Solar wrote: »

I am personally going to disagree here. That all really comes down to the route setters and well, the routes they are setting.

There are bouldering problems that are delicious little puzzles. There are bouldering problems that are dead obvious and just take crazy power, grip strength, or a huge throw.

Similarly, there are rope problems that are just endurance tests, but I’ve done plenty with fun drop knees, toe hooks, mantles, and other interesting moves I had to puzzle out like 30 feet up the wall.

Being short vs tall can help or hurt, depending again on the routes that are set, and also your climbing style. Sometimes being as tall as I am can make fitting into certain moves hard. Other times it lets me skip the hardest moves in an entire problem by reaching past them.

Boulder and rope climbing are just different, I like both so I do both. If you like one, do just one. But it strikes me as rather silly to say that one is better than the other.

I mean for me personally, to be clear. There are interesting moves in routes but personally I tend to find you get, I dunno, 40 moves and of those there's maybe a couple of interesting boulder problems in there that if you did as boulder problems you'd probably flash or do in a few goes because in order to do a route with those moves in them you have to be able to do them while being pumped.

I've done 7b+ indoors (5.12c I think?) and can I do all the moves on a 7c? yeah almost certainly, same with 7c+, it's just whether I have the power endurance and endurance to do it after doing a bunch of pretty simple moves. And for people who like routes that's fine! It's totally fair, and routes are great, I just find the boulder problems the best part of routes and I'd rather do like, hard boulder problems.

I would say that as I get older (well, in ten years time anyway) I'll probably go towards more route stuff because your power can drop off a bit but your endurance doesn't really in the same way. Also going route climbing is a bit more of an effort; get the harness on, get a belayer etc etc etc. Bouldering you just shoes on and crack on (although outdoors it's all a bit of effort I guess).

Basically I like hard moves at my physical limit and I like the challenge of being able to get them done. So for me, bouldering is perfect. Also I find explosive power easier to develop and express than endurance in a climbing sense. So it suits me physically more. But also my friends all boulder so I might as well do that. And near me most of the rock isn't bolted so it's bouldering or trad, and I can't be arsed with trad (plus it's very expensive).

Solar on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah

i think step 1 is just pick a very small simple routine and commit to it, because i've just been kind of doing random things / random work outs / going on bike rides

just something with some semblance of structure that takes the choice and infinite possibility out of things, can reassess in a month

e.g. i will do this routine for x weeks, and not overcomplicate it

poo