As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    If you can't add weight add reps, although also if you can do 30 reps of the max bench press weight available, then you are probably not going to get a lot from doing more. Put those weights in a rucksack and start doing pushups!

Slow negatives are a good time too. On the last set just go as slow as possible each rep on the way back down. Feel the burn.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    20 pullups at once is a lot more than people seem to think. Not to dissuade you! But I see people say it a lot... and it's quite something to be able to do!

How many can you do right now?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ah yeah you can probably do 20 by the end of the year. Your 1 RM will probably be around mine too I imagine.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    I've decided I need to get off my ass and do something about my fitness. I do about 30min of dog walking per day but that's really it at the moment. There was a period where I was enjoying running, did a couple of 10K's and was planning for a half-marathon. But after a knee injury I just never got back into the swing of it, and have had a few aborted attempts as it starts causing me issues again.

I don't need to lose weight - I'm a skinny dude - if anything I would benefit from bulking up a bit. I am really struggling to get myself motivated to do pretty much anything at all at the moment. I feel like I need a goal to work towards and at this point I don't really care what it is, I just think that I need to introduce a pattern of regular exercise into my life that I can build on going forward.

So with that extremely vague problem statement, any recommendations for an ultra-beginner? I have some dumbbells and a kettle bell at home, but that's about it for equipment. There's a local gym I'm thinking about signing up for but again I kind of want to actually get myself into a bit of a routine to start with as I'm not convinced I'll actually use a membership at the moment.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    I've decided I need to get off my ass and do something about my fitness. I do about 30min of dog walking per day but that's really it at the moment. There was a period where I was enjoying running, did a couple of 10K's and was planning for a half-marathon. But after a knee injury I just never got back into the swing of it, and have had a few aborted attempts as it starts causing me issues again.

I don't need to lose weight - I'm a skinny dude - if anything I would benefit from bulking up a bit. I am really struggling to get myself motivated to do pretty much anything at all at the moment. I feel like I need a goal to work towards and at this point I don't really care what it is, I just think that I need to introduce a pattern of regular exercise into my life that I can build on going forward.

So with that extremely vague problem statement, any recommendations for an ultra-beginner? I have some dumbbells and a kettle bell at home, but that's about it for equipment. There's a local gym I'm thinking about signing up for but again I kind of want to actually get myself into a bit of a routine to start with as I'm not convinced I'll actually use a membership at the moment.

Simple and Sinister is a dead easy kettlebell routine, I can get into the details if you are interested but the basic premise is 10x10 kettlebell swings (100 total) 10x1 Turkish get ups (10 total). That’s it.

If motivation is the primary issue, you may want to look into a hobby that inspires you to workout (climbing, wrestling, sword fighting, soccer, whatever.)

Personally I have an easier time convincing myself to do X workout thing when I can say “it’s going to help me when I spar this weekend” or similar.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »

I'm gonna gesture vaguely upwards at Couch to Barbell again but the elevator pitch is - it's intended to teach you form for barbell lifts, starting from basics using a broom to dumbbells to actually working with the bar. It's designed for people who have never been inside of a gym before, and is made to be approachable and managed at your own pace.

My other recommendation is honestly Wii Fit. That got me into a routine that then got me into lifting!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I have Wii Fit and should really try and get back to it, but I'm pretty sure the card reader in my Switch is busted and I'm too stubborn to drop a few hundo on a new console

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    What's your approximate bodyweight Solar (so that the heavier chunks among us can feel better/set goals)?

Reminder for anyone interested in strength training that we have a Weightlifting specific thread and it's been a little sleepy lately but a bunch of us still lurk it and would be happy to talk clanging and banging in more detail (also lifting weights, I guess).

I weight 75-76kgs currently. Or 165 to 167lbs if you like. So that's what, 60% of my bodyweight as an added 1 RM?

Currently I do my sets at 25-30kgs added for sets of 5, depending on how fresh I am. I can knock out 5 with 25kgs added in basically any state but 30kgs is limit for working sets really, and I have to be fresh.

One armers I can currently do with a pulley taking off 10kg for sets of 2, again totally fresh. Probably a little less taken off on the right but I try to stay balanced.

Appreciate this! For reference's sake in clothes I weigh a shade under 100kg and do working sets of 5 on pullups so I feel reasonably ok about that, all things considered. I hope when I lose a little flabby flab that I can get to the point that I need to add weight but right now I'm carrying everything I need on me :D

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I have Wii Fit and should really try and get back to it, but I'm pretty sure the card reader in my Switch is busted and I'm too stubborn to drop a few hundo on a new console

I was really shocked at how good a workout it could be, but mostly the (priceless) thing it did for me was help to motivate me to do a routine and to get over that starting bump you always have after several months without training

Once you do any form of exercise it's so much easier to move on to any other type and re-establish a schedule, it's just getting past the inertia of wanting to do anything but

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    What's your approximate bodyweight Solar (so that the heavier chunks among us can feel better/set goals)?

Reminder for anyone interested in strength training that we have a Weightlifting specific thread and it's been a little sleepy lately but a bunch of us still lurk it and would be happy to talk clanging and banging in more detail (also lifting weights, I guess).

I weight 75-76kgs currently. Or 165 to 167lbs if you like. So that's what, 60% of my bodyweight as an added 1 RM?

Currently I do my sets at 25-30kgs added for sets of 5, depending on how fresh I am. I can knock out 5 with 25kgs added in basically any state but 30kgs is limit for working sets really, and I have to be fresh.

One armers I can currently do with a pulley taking off 10kg for sets of 2, again totally fresh. Probably a little less taken off on the right but I try to stay balanced.

Appreciate this! For reference's sake in clothes I weigh a shade under 100kg and do working sets of 5 on pullups so I feel reasonably ok about that, all things considered. I hope when I lose a little flabby flab that I can get to the point that I need to add weight but right now I'm carrying everything I need on me :D

Thats pretty nails man! Strong effort. Tbh I think sets of 5 are basically perfect, and additional weight will come in time. I'm currently doing V pullups too where you alternate the hand you go towards, which really engages the shoulder/pectoral connection, find them very helpful. I can post a vid if you'd like?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I was really shocked at how good a workout it could be, but mostly the (priceless) thing it did for me was help to motivate me to do a routine and to get over that starting bump you always have after several months without training

Once you do any form of exercise it's so much easier to move on to any other type and re-establish a schedule, it's just getting past the inertia of wanting to do anything but

Speaking of, I've been good about exercising the last couple of days, but today my lower back has been yelling at me pretty loud, so I'm taking it easy. It doesn't feel like I pulled anything, just a body not used to regular activity, so hopefully I can get back to it tomorrow.

• Options
    I've been doing a lot of walking the last week and a half after getting cleared for physical activity again. I lost a LOT of muscle tone over the last 5 months after being pretty much inactive. Even using the walking stick is making my arms and chest a bit sore. Ughhh!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just finished!

Elliptical strider 26 minutes, 15% incline, 8/10 level, 721 calories
    Bench press 33 (50 lbs + bar)
    Dumbbell fly 33 (10lbs each)
    dumbbell curls 33
    sitting shoulder presses 33
    Stair steppers 63 (third rep of 20 w/dumbbells)
    Lunges 30 (third rep of 10 w/dumbbells)
    Squats 48
    Plank 63 sec
    Pushups 33

I was supposed to do this on Friday, but I kept thinking it was Friday all day. Also ran over long on the elliptical because I was in a Runeterra game that wouldn't end. :D

No extra lunges because my thighs said "fuck you!" as soon as I did my first. 😭😭😭

Hope nobody minds, but I think I'm gonna post these weight days on the thread to keep myself honest. Only twice a week so it shouldn't be too intrusive. Can always spoiler it if necessary.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just finished!

Elliptical strider 26 minutes, 15% incline, 8/10 level, 721 calories
    Bench press 33 (50 lbs + bar)
    Dumbbell fly 33 (10lbs each)
    dumbbell curls 33
    sitting shoulder presses 33
    Stair steppers 63 (third rep of 20 w/dumbbells)
    Lunges 30 (third rep of 10 w/dumbbells)
    Squats 48
    Plank 63 sec
    Pushups 33

I was supposed to do this on Friday, but I kept thinking it was Friday all day. Also ran over long on the elliptical because I was in a Runeterra game that wouldn't end. :D

No extra lunges because my thighs said "fuck you!" as soon as I did my first. 😭😭😭

Hope nobody minds, but I think I'm gonna post these weight days on the thread to keep myself honest. Only twice a week so it shouldn't be too intrusive. Can always spoiler it if necessary.

Thats what we're all here for, to keep each other honest!

• Options
    63 second plank is solid! Once you are hitting the one minute mark, you probably want to start considering some plank variations to make it harder. Your time will go down but you’ll likely get some more bang for your buck :)

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    63 second plank is solid! Once you are hitting the one minute mark, you probably want to start considering some plank variations to make it harder. Your time will go down but you’ll likely get some more bang for your buck :)

Oh, to be fair that was combined times from three planks; 11/21/31. Sorry for the confusion. I have gotten to minute in the past though.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to stay on track? I figure if I can go "cold turkey" with sugar, my body might kick the cravings after a few weeks. Any food or exercise tips to help out? I've subbed in grapes as my sweet food since they're tasty and not that unhealthy. I'd hate to have to kick them to the curb.

So I was recently diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago, and decided to make the lifestyle change with my diet to remain low-carb, and eliminate as much as I can added sugars. But I have like a huuuge sweet tooth, so I've had to find substitutes.
    Here's a couple of things that have worked for me:

Breakfast -
    Lowest level sweetened greek yogurt that my tastebuds can tolerate mixed with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and walnuts.
    "Chocolate-Zucchini Muffin" - it basically tastes like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie - but the only thing actually sweetening it is like 3-4 chocolate chips and a little bit of honey. Zucchini typically takes on any flavor you mix it with, so you don't taste it - you'll only see little specs of green in the muffin.

Recipe:
    Makes 12 muffins
    Carbs per serving 1 muffin = 16g

1.5 cups grated zucchini
    1.5 cups rolled oats
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp baking power
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper baking liners.
    2. Grate the zucchini with a cheese grater. Place the zucchini in a colander over the sink to drain.
    3. In a blender process the oats until they resemble flour. Transfer to medium mixing bowl and add the cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
    4. In another large mixing bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, coconut oil, applesauce, and honey. Stir to continue.
    5. Press the zucchini into the colander, draining any liquids, and add to the wet mixture.
    6. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture, and mix until no dry spots remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Then for dessert after lunch and dinner, I alternate between Keto icrecream, and Keto brownies. Both taste delicious to me, I wouldn't even know they weren't just normal icecream and brownies. They still need to be eaten in moderation - can't go crazy with it ...but they def help me feel like I'm not making any major sacrifices.

I've lost about 20lbs in a couple of months living a very sedentary lifestyle just on the diet changes alone. Although I've change up more than just sugar intake, and subbing out any pasta, white bread, heavy carb stuff. Substituting quinoa for white rice, stuff like that.

Sidenote - I started to read this thread b/c I aim to transition from sedentary to a healthy level of activity. So far I've just been motivated to go on walks around the neighborhood, but looking to ramp up. Not really looking to lose more weight at this point, I'm happy where I'm at - just want to get a little more active.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I didn’t mean to post that all as a quote - but for some reason I can’t edit the post to correct it. When I try to edit I get a popup saying it needs to be approved.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    After another month and a bit I'm back up to Day 1, Week 5 at level 2 of the Hundred Pushups challenge. I'm doing a lot better about form and I feel like it definitely helps get me through longer sets. When I was just going as fast as possible I would make it to 15-20 and then just feel completely gassed, and pausing barely helped. I still got to like 40 but the last ones were always pretty bad.

Now I can do a batch of 10-20, pause in downward dog for a couple seconds, and do another batch. And now I've done 145 good-form ones in like 20 minutes!

Still intimidated by the rest of the days this week, but I think I can make it!

Also should get back to Ring Fit, that's just a fun way to do a bunch of random movements.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I didn’t mean to post that all as a quote - but for some reason I can’t edit the post to correct it. When I try to edit I get a popup saying it needs to be approved.

Good lord you scared me there for a second. I thought I'd forgotten I had diabetes. :)

Seriously though, thanks for some ideas. My diet is pretty boring in terms of diversity, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    So Kyougu and I ran that marathon more than a month ago at this point, and this week is the first time I actually feel recovered from it while running. I've joined a local run club, first time running with people in a group, and I think that's helping with motivation and focus! Who knew?

Feels good to be back in the swing of things, though I think I'll start up cycling again now that it's warmer and aim for another of my annual century rides.

• Options
    So does anyone have any strength and fitness goals for the end of 2022?

I'd like to be able to bench 100kgs, squat 130kgs and deadlift 160kgs. And I'd like to be able to do a muscle up on rings statically (so no dynamic flicking) and do a one armed pullup

Being able to do all that would make me feel generically relatively strong in a calisthenic sense

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I have a goal of running a 5k again

• Options
    edited May 2022
    My goals for 2022 have become relatively unambitious. Mostly it’s get back down to 155lbs after getting to 165lbs. And, do whatever is required to fix the deep muscle pain in my back (which after 2 weeks of physical therapy seems to be derived from a pinch in my neck). Which would link to the overall meta goal of “be able to do BJJ without getting re-injured”

So, probably going to be a lot of evolving micro goals around strengthening my neck and flexibility.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

I'd like to be able to bench 100kgs, squat 130kgs and deadlift 160kgs. And I'd like to be able to do a muscle up on rings statically (so no dynamic flicking) and do a one armed pullup

Being able to do all that would make me feel generically relatively strong in a calisthenic sense

I'd like to be light enough to go hiking again on trails that actually have some elevation.

• Options
    I would like to be able to do one (1) pull-up.

That is not a joke.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    One (1) pullup is no joke! I wonder what the actual % of adults my age can do one "strict" pull up is. I'm betting it's <50%.

• Options
    I was very, VERY pumped the day I could do my first pullup. Like king of the world status.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    For me, I'm pretty significantly overweight and very much have little to no muscle tone. If you put $100,000 in front of me right now I probably still wouldn't be able to do a pull-up.

As of last weekend I'm trying to get myself into some good diet and exercise habits (again) so that I can start cutting that down, with the hope that I can get myself into a kind of shape where I don't feel winded from going up the stairs more than once in a 10-minute period.

So yeah, it's kind of a vague, silly goal, but if I can get myself to a spot where I can comfortably do a pull-up or two, I figure I'm probably in a good place overall.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    It’s a legit good goal!

Obviously weighing less makes pull ups easier, so it provides good incentive for that.

It also, when done right, helps you be aware of your whole body and moving it as a unit. Definitely research proper pull up form as a lot of people don’t do then right (too much arms, not enough back.)

Also, depending on what you have access to, you can look into assisted pull-ups or pull-up negatives to start building up the correct motion and muscles.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Now that I’ve done a 10k in 45 minutes and change, I want to do a 10k in 44 minutes and change. Or possibly faster. The race I did last weekend was all hills - the one I’m looking at in the early fall would be basically all along the coast, and pretty much flat, less than 50 metres of climbing over the entire race. I’d also like to get my 5k under 22 minutes.

Beyond that, I’m mostly concerned with continuing to gaintain. More muscles are nice and all, but I have no specific lifting goals. With no access in going to a gym (specifically, no interest in paying for a gym or gym equipment), my strength work is pretty much just body weight and dumbbells. On the other hand, I can currently do one pullup, and it’s be nice to be able to do more. But it’s not a major ambition.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I want to try to get my half marathon time to 1:35 and my marathon time to 3:40-3:45.

This means I need to start doing speedwork instead of just running with zero plan like I usually do.

I also been getting back into leading and forcing myself to get comfortable falling (I just took a class of just falling) so I want to keep working on that and get an outdoor 5.9/5.10 lead

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

I want to be in the 800# club. Current squat is 240 5x5, dead is 255 1x5, and bench is 155 5x5

I want 300/300/200 by year end

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

I want to be in the 800# club. Current squat is 240 5x5, dead is 255 1x5, and bench is 155 5x5

I want 300/300/200 by year end

If those are your work sets then I'm betting you can hit those numbers right now for 1RM. Just have a spotter!

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Ah yeah you can probably do 20 by the end of the year. Your 1 RM will probably be around mine too I imagine.

just confirmed this to be the case. 105lbs or something

• Options
    edited May 2022

Well surprisingly I did the static muscle up on rings today so that's new

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeJvWKjgQA5/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Solar on
  • Options
    Also these are all some great fitness goals guys, all very doable and worthy aims!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My goal is to lose a little weight because when viewed from behind in a tight shirt I'm a bit flabbier than I realized.

Also I figured out that I can use my band handles to do natural grip chins, which is far and away the best for my shoulders. I stopped at four to adjust my shirt and apologies for the angle, it accentuates my bald spot and love handles in a way I'm not crazy about!

https://youtube.com/jKRBx0YwxkQ

Peen on
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to wind up the 100 press-up programme. Its been good to work to a structure, and at my last exhaustion test I managed 55, which is just over double what I started at. I'm not recovering sufficiently between days though, due to the amount of crawling I do with the baby, and the disrupted sleep that goes with a young one.

On the plus side the waters getting warmer so I can start swimming in earnest, which is one of the reasons we moved to the coast!

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is my last adult rec soccer match of the season, after which I'll be moving cities, so it's the last on a team I've played with for years +/- a pandemic break.

I've been having some issues with my left neck/shoulder, likely due to poor posture at my at home work desk I starting using again for the first time in over a year. Mostly just a little tight

This morning I woke up and HOLY SHIT the pain, those memes about getting old and injuring yourself from sleeping wrong, it is me, I am the memes.

Been doing everything I can to loosen it up because goddamit I really want to play that last match, but fuck, I've avoided pretty much any major leg injuries (knock on wood) for the last 8 year since I started playing again, something of an iron man who's always able to play, and this is how I get done?

FUUUUUUCK