As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rebel Script ⍺] Midnight Hunt - The Hand of Oblivion

1235710

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Nightmares affect people’s subconscious, but as far as you know don’t take them out of their frozen state. Which alongside their strength is why they can prey on people so easily. It could be that a few near-hunter people’s sleep paralysis is due to their torment...

    I am absolutely for nightmare skin insulation! You gain momentum; that’s 2 shared dice for the crew!

    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch removes her leather gloves...and, with a few deep breaths, and a steely determination, she sinks her hands into the dead-center of the crackling lizard-skin. Working as quickly as she can from the other side of the flesh, she drapes the shed skin over the sleeping man's clenched prize upon his lap. *Carefully*, she pries his dreary hands open from the other side of the scales, until the key pops free and falls along the floor.

    Lynch falls with it, making sure the skin is kicked safely into a corner as she does so. "*Eggghhh* not eager to do that again...but, make sure to save the skin! I think maybe, if we could put some leather on one side..." She holds the key in one hand, still looking disgusted...

    Lynch probably didn't enjoy that much more than the man she just robbed in his sleep. Maybe we should turn them into "Slumbering Gloves", if anyone knows a good tailor!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lynch

    With key on hand, you slip it into the locked door and turn it. The door creaks open and you feel the cool air wash over you.

    The morgue cabinets are each named with recently deceased citizens, and the actor’s unfortunate resting place is in plain sight.

    What do you do?

    —————

    Creation Rules

    First, describe what you intend to create. The host must say “yes, and” or “yes, but”, then choose a number of caveats, such as:

    It will take longer than you’d hope.
    You must acquire particular ingredients.
    You need proper workspace and tools.
    You must settle for a fragile, volatile or lesser version.
    You must sacrifice something precious to complete it.
    You must contact the eldritch.
    It has a desire all its own.
    Once made, it threatens challenge.

    A creation drawn from your aspects, traits and skills will tend to be easier to create, while something utterly outside your wheelhouse will always need aid from elsewhere, for a unique price.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch intends to create a Meticulous Atopsy Report, getting us as much information from the corpse as we *possibly* can before the Midnight Hour moves on and we need to be stealthily out of the Mortuary. She would welcome and hope to receive Emmet's assistance (since, although she wouldn't say this out loud, she's a hobbyist at best when it come to these sorts of matters...)

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Interesting!

    As you’re in the best place to do it, my only caveat is it’ll take longer than you’d like.

    Lynch, you slowly pull open the cabinet as your allies cover you.

    All of you are struck with the obvious. The poor bastards eyes are gone.

    There’s a black bruise in the middle of his chest, a little bit larger than a fist. Turning him over reveals a blast hole right through the spine.

    Emmett, you’re thinking an execution shot from an officer’s sidearm, the long barrelled kind the enemy used in the war.

    Any questions or need for more detail, feel free to ask.

    —————
    The midnight hours...
    [X][X][X][X][_][_]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Lynch takes a break from investigating the body, and places her hands upon her hips in feigned frustration. "Well, gentleman, I think it can be safe to say this one right here didn't...see it coming? What? No? Aw, c'mon... whad'ye mean, too soon? Just having a laugh, now..."

    Following her Gallow's Humor, Lynch will finish up her thorough investigation (1 challenge, 1 meticulous)

    Geth roll 2d6 Body Language

    Body Language:
    2d6 6 [2d6=1, 5]

    mrpaku on
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    A 5, so that’s a compromise or consequence...

    Lynch

    You pick a little dirt from under a fingernail. Soil from the river bank, and some gooey substance—absolutely from the reptilian nightmare. He was able and willing to fight it. He was awake during the attack.

    The actor has some leg and arm scars, at least one from a broken bone years ago. A very active person; perhaps a hunter?

    You gingerly feel around in his eye sockets, looking for something hidden. You don’t find anything, but you do nearly puke. You hold it together.

    In the moment you don’t think when you wipe your bloody hands on your clothing. You’ll have to burn these by daylight!

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leopold watches Lynch work with a mixture of curiosity and disgust. He very much wanted to know what had happened, but he also couldn't imagine himself sticking fingers in eye sockets. There were questions he would have for Lynch later, about how she learned whatever it was she learned, but for now, he tried to keep focus on the body.

    "The hole in his back." he says in a low voice. "That was from something like a firearm wasn't it? That, plus the squashed bullet found by the riverbank....." Leo pauses for a moment to think. "Someone else was there, other than this poor man."

    I'd like to look at the other recently dead. See if any of them look out of ordinary or have notes that indicate I'd want to look at them closer.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Leopold

    With care you look over every other corpse.

    K. Greyfield
    An old lady.

    E. M. Bruckel
    Something horrific happened to this person. Serious impact damage.

    T. Stein
    A woman. She has deeply purple lips and bruised eyes, plus swelling on her fingers. Poison, maybe?

    “Jon Doe”
    A nameless young man. Shaven head, weathered face. No obvious signs of harm.

    I’d like you to roll to keep your composure please!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Leo looks over the corpses, but feels the discomfort in his stomach as he does. He doesn't enjoy this one bit.

    Edit: All the puking. All of it.

    Geth, roll 1d6

    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

    AustinP0027 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    Leopold

    You take the condition shaken!

    Until the midnight hours are over, you can’t take a die from assistance.

    I’d like you to give us a flashback to some event that’s shaped Leo, it only needs to be a couple sentences.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    1 Year Ago

    He had been sneaking out to the soldier camps for a while now, his deft feet finding safe passage quicker than the patrols could ever track him down. He employed the same routine. Sneak out at dusk, join the soldiers around their campfire as they ate and shared stories, get caught before bed and be sent home.

    Only, this night, things were different. He snuck in as usual, but was surprised to find a much quieter camp than he had seen before. There were a few people sitting around the fire, but they weren't talking to each other. In fact, they seemed to just be staring into the fire itself. Curious as ever, Leo decides to sneak further into the camp. It isn't long before he hears the moaning, multiple voices at once in obvious pain. He stops near a tent when he hears voices.

    "What the hell could have done this? We are miles away from the nearest enemy encampment."

    "I have no idea. I'd say an animal based on the bite marks, but I can't think of any who would get close to the camp."


    Leo sneaks away, confused, but his curiosity still getting the best of him. He approached the tent where the moaning was coming from, and pulled back the flap. He froze in shock at the scene inside. Multiple people on cots, missing various portions of their limps, yelling in pain as field doctors tried to quiet them. Leo staggered back, the tent flap closing, and before he even realized what he had done, he was already running back home.

    Got a little carried away on this one.

    AustinP0027 on
    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Who has the spent bullet we found before?" Emmett compares the slug to the injury in the man's back, hoping to rule them out as a match.

    Is this a roll? 1d6 observant or otherwise (possibly +1 for help)?
    What's up with this bruise? Does it fit with blood drainage from getting shot in the back and falling forward?
    Also, is there any reason generally to keep searching or should we assume that a 5 gets us whatever is available to learn? Does Observant change that calculus?


    "So, he's got bit of It under his nails? A hunter then, or a victim? If he was just a victim he wouldn't have had to get shot in the back to go down. I think he was one of us . . . . and someone shot him in the back."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    You’re a smart team!

    The bullet matches the sort of gun that shot the actor in the back.

    The bruising was caused by the gunshot. If it wasn’t aimed perfectly for his spine it would have blasted through his chest.

    Potentially the actor was a hunter. How he died is some percentage of nightmare, and... a man with a gun!

    No roll required. You’ve learned all you could. Time to head for the garrison?... though time is catching up to you.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "Nearly out of time. Let's go."

    I think we should head to whichever is closer: the direction of the howl we heard or the garrison.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm down for letting the two of you pick. Leo is shaken, so I think his thinking is compromised at the moment so he'd be more follower and less leader right now.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    For time's sake - to the garrison!

    fadingathedges on
    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Heading north, you hear that same low howl.

    eojc4op14kup.jpeg

    The streets notably become cleaner the further you tread, untainted by exhaustion of the war. The Langleich forces chose to make this once high class ward their home; and wouldn’t you? The buildings are beautiful, historic and well kept. There are a handful of automobiles dotted about—some even brightly painting in rich greens or inky blues rather than ash grey!

    You’re a short walk from the garrison’s main gate. But then you sense movement, or... an atmosphere, maybe, something is off...

    Emmett!

    Trust your instincts. What do you think you need to do?

    Consider rolling to pick up on what’s off, and ask me a question too. Or sprint up the street if you like! It’s up to you

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    o1k3khmfh1tz.jpeg
    s76ki0lk97wr.jpeg
    qpijjkts5lye.jpeg
    2ko39ezknhj7.jpeg
    un0j0prx94dj.jpeg
    nvsvcw8r907t.jpeg

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Your gaze flicks from advantageous position to hazard, trying to work out what you can use if you have to.
    • There’s an expensive car parked diagonally across a bit of the road and sidewalk.
    • The houses either side are covered in thick vines, blossoms and moss.
    • Part of this street has been dug out to renovate the water pipes beneath. You’d guess a drop of ten feet.
    • Couple of trees for cover.
    • The street is flat, so there can be no surprises on the horizon.
    • One room in a house on the right has a light on. Means nothing, right?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Now then, there’s no measured movement. Think of it like an action movie instead. One “shot” would be someone moving carefully from behind a tree to hunkered against the car, or a sprint from one end of the street to the other. There are no explicit actions, meaning there’s no real limit. You can slide over the car, or fire a pistol while jumping sideways, whatever sounds fun! Just do what feels right, and I’ll work with you, asking for dice rolls only if it’s necessary.

    Hunters!
    You don’t see anything yet, but feel on edge.

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The car, for reference:
    p5u7qi62xgc1.jpeg

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    They all slow to a stop, wordlessly, as they come upon this place. Something is clearly wrong. Emmett slowly draws the ivory pistol from his belt as he listens, eyes scanning the street.

    Dice are: Base, Empathetic if it counts, Help if I have it

    Geth roll 3d6 for tumbleweed moment (with Observant)

    tumbleweed moment (with Observant):
    3d6 12 [3d6=4, 6, 2]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ll take that. A total success!

    qn0w1zvfcm1f.jpeg

    On the roof. It’s already seen you. Taller than Emmett, about as wide as the car.

    bwg53ya9dks5.jpeg

    Up the road, laid across the branches of a tree, one of those dog-things.

    The Warden Beast
    5yx946xpbu2j.jpeg

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It spreads its wings! The nightmare is about to take flight!

    You’re on equal footing, had you failed to see it one of you would have been in its talons by now!

    What do you do?

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "The roof!" Emmett's arm snaps up and the crack of a shot echoes down the street. He walks forward as he fires, straight down the center of the road. "Fan out, just a bit!

    Dice are: base, help if someone fires with me, one of the momentum dice. Emmett will also assist someone if he can and they need it.

    Geth roll 3d6 for Murder of Crow

    Murder of Crow:
    3d6 13 [3d6=2, 6, 5]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    As the nightmare takes to the air you land a direct hit, blowing off one of its tumour-like heads! It crashes to the ground, and the whole street quakes! It slithers, crawls, stumbles back to its feet. Too many legs on this thing. It almost seems like a kaleidoscope, it changes as you look at it for too long...

    l3zme9ubeloy.jpeg

    The nightmare let’s out a low, pained howl. It sounds like a dog...

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    "Oh, fer chrissakes, another one? Busy night, tonight..." Lynch draws her pistol a beat after the Veteran Hunter, *firing* up at the Accursed Corvid.

    zl5m9zu30nvd.png

    With her left hand, Lynch fishes into her bag: finding what she's looking for, she clutches at the length of rope. Looking around the familiar street, she remembers they were renovating some of the water main lines around here... Ah, there! Already twisting the rope over in her hand, she yells over her shoulder at her companions as she runs, "We need to draw it in, keep it fighting down here where it doesn't have the advantage...see if you can lead it to me!"


    Lynch is gonna make her way around the beast to one of the holes they dug out for the pipes, and crouch down at the bottom of the hole. She's then gonna fashion a noose with the rope. Hopefully, if the guys can lead the bird to me, when it tries to make a peck I'll try to rope it's neck, tighten up the noose, then get real stab-happy with my other hand

    mrpaku on
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Lynch

    You sprint up the street as the nightmare recovers and make it over to the hole, digging your feet into the side to slow your descent. It’s very cool.

    The nightmare gallops towards Emmett and Leo!

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo's hand is on his knife when the Nightmare yells out but as his two compatriots fire their pistols, he realizes the futility of the weapon, and is even more annoyed at losing his flare gun. Instead, he can look to help Lynch with whatever plan she had in mind, one that requires getting this thing to come towards her.

    He sprints forward, rolling to the side of the car opposite the beast, intent on gaining it's intention, then circles around the car as it hops for him. He readies himself to sprint towards Lynch once he has this things full attention.


    Guessing I need a roll here, but with Quick and Agility, thinking I can avoid it's reach enough to sprint back towards Lynch.

    Roll is base plus Quick.


    Geth roll 2d6 for C'mon Chase me

    C'mon Chase me:
    2d6 7 [2d6=2, 5]

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Leo

    Each roll and slide is matched by a pecking beak, but you dodge each strike by a hair’s breadth!

    The crow lifts off and slams down on the car, its many heads flailing wildly to reach you!

    Here’s the compromise for the 5.

    You can draw it to the hole, but take a grievous hit... or be forced where the crow lunges, but avoid harm.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo preps to sprint for the hole, but the thing blocks his path, forcing him out of his predefined plan, and calling for him to improvise.

    Avoiding harm for now.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Leo

    You back step and roll, until you find yourself pressed up against the vines growing up a stately house. Looks like you need a hand... Emmett?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Are there any rocks or chunks of cement in this hole?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sure!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch grabs a hefty handful of cement, and pops out of the pit for the second it takes to taunt the bird and hurl the clod of rock at one of the car's taillights," Ey! You asshole! Ey, over here!!" She hopes to drive the thing off Lynch, and possibly bring it's attention towards her...

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Emmett calmly walks over to the car and leans on the horn with one hand. As the Thing squawks and some of its heads turn towards him, he fires again.

    1 base, 1 for distracted from three angles?

    Geth roll 2d6 for birddog

    e~ I am highly successful at generating random numbers.

    birddog:
    2d6 11 [2d6=5, 6]

    fadingathedges on
    AustinP0027mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Emmett

    Boom! Another head is blown off, splattering Leo in black blood and feathers.

    The crow begins to convulse and shake! Its largest head extends. Its beak snaps open to breaking point! The crow pukes up a grey sack of flesh even as its many legs continue to propel it onwards!

    The crow is bleeding profusely. Yet it’s going to take more to put it down.

    Leopold

    You’re free to manoeuvre!

    A steaming flesh sack is ripped open from within! A blood soaked dog-thing, slavering and starved, looks at you with wide eyes!

    o9qs18gdgkln.jpeg

    How are you going to handle this new threat?

    Lynch

    ...and that’s when the crow leaps towards you! The gust from its wings knocking you on your arse in the hole.

    “AAAAAHHHHH! KAAAAA!”, the many heads each scream at Lynch.

    Tick your deafened condition clock.

    What do you do?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular


    Lynch, you swear the sky above you is crimson, the stars pulsing in time with your heart.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Pinned to the wall, Leo barely has time to blink before there is a boom and he is covered in blood and feathers. Thankfully, it served it's purpose and opened up room for him to lose it's attention. Unfortunately, that left another challenge in front of him, in the shape of a dog.

    The crow, however, had been drawn to Lynch, but not in the way they had intended. Ignoring the dog for now, Leo quickly scurried up the car and over, leaping towards the crow's back. His knife flashing in the air, he swipes down at the creature's back.

    Idea here is using the car to leap safely away from dog and pursue crow.

    Roll is base, quick, and using fading's example, distraction of it staring at Lynch.


    Geth, roll 3d6 for Bad Crow

    Bad Crow:
    3d6 11 [3d6=3, 6, 2]

    Endless_Serpents
Sign In or Register to comment.