As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rebel Script ⍺] Midnight Hunt - The Hand of Oblivion

1468910

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Leopold

    You race across the expensive automobile and leap! ...landing knife first onto the nightmare’s back. You slide down a foot, carving a terrible gouge in its back. It’s wings lock out in pain, causing it to fall heavily towards Lynch!

    Some of its smaller heads appear to have died! You’re getting close to ending this nightmare before it escalates too far!

    You’ve got good purchase on this beastly crow’s back! You have a situation bonus die for whatever you attempt next!

    I’d say it’s time for Lynch to act before anyone else does.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    I can rewrite this if not ok.

    e~oops, did not see your last post Endless


    Laying off the horn, Emmett hears a faint jangle as he takes his hand away from wheel. Looking down, he sees the glint of a silver chain dangling from the ignition.

    The car's engine growls to life and the tires immediately begin to squeal as Emmett puts the pedal to the floor, spins the wheel all the way to the left, and keeps them there. The car spins a tight arc through the space occupied by the Things a moment before, and they try to scamper away. Emmett looses another shot, aiming simply in the air above the bird as he starts to understand how the Katerina's shots curve towards their targets.

    1 base, 2 assist (I think that's probably what all the distraction is?), 3 for awesome car?

    Geth roll 3d6 for get in losers we're doing donuts on a bird

    get in losers we're doing donuts:
    3d6 7 [3d6=5, 1, 1]

    fadingathedges on
    mrpakuEndless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Rule of Cool is in effect!

    Emmett

    You clip the dog-thing on the first spin, sending it rolling across the sidewalk!

    The Katerina’s trails silvery smoke after you fire it into the air, leaving a lingering scent of perfume behind. The bullet bends impossibly, blowing off the largest head from the nightmare! It’s mindless now, if it wasn’t before!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Lynch, badly shaken for the second time tonight, feels her pulse pound through the ringing, which has returned threefold. She blocks her face with her hands as the awful bird *bats* at her. She's clobbered nearly senseless when she notices the beating of the wings suddenly halt, and the creature topples forward onto her. It's pure instinct that pulls the knife into her hands at the last possible moment, and without thought, she lets the thing fall down on her, blade first...

    1 for the Knife, 1 for Gravity helping me place him "on" the knife

    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 8 [2d6=2, 6]

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You all see Lynch crushed to death by the crow beast.

    Lynch
    Your blade pierces the nightmare, splitting it open with surprising ease. You find yourself stood inside its hollow remains, and lash out wildly to cut your way to the other side so you can breath once again.

    Leopold
    You need to dodge a knife right now!

    A simple challenge.

    Emmett
    The dog-thing leaps into the car with you! Kill it!

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oh no, Lynch, what did you do??

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    He sees the knife, but can he move away in time?

    Geth roll 2d6 for Base+Quick

    Base+Quick:
    2d6 10 [2d6=4, 6]

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Yup.

    Leo quick steps back as two strands of his hair float off in front of him.

    Okay you two, you can help out Emmett or chop this thing up to make sure there’s no other surprises.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    "Go get yer man...need to just (*slash*). Make (*tear*). SURE (*mince*)." Lynch hacks at the still twitching corvid. The skillful technique of the cuts does little to mask the young woman's clear bloodlust...

    Lynch will make sure *none* of this thing will be getting back up, so Leopold can get to Emmett without worrying about the foul bird coughing up more surprises

    mrpaku on
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Inside the crow is a second grey flesh sack. Lynch puts it out of its misery as it starts to twitch. It’s done.

    Lynch, you acquire a corvid tail feather. Just a memento, but the shed skin found a use, so perhaps this is the way forward.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo blinks for a second, staring at Lynch, then snaps out of it and turns to help Emmett. The other man is spinning the car around but the dog has jumped into it now.

    Leopold watches it spin for two revolutions, getting the timing down, then runs and jumps towards an open seat.

    Geth roll 2d6 for Base+Quick

    Base+Quick:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I try to never be a ass in my role, but the wording on that was too good.

    Leo lands perfectly in the seat.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    That’s it, well done.

    Emmett up next I think!

    0gwdhe1ecn7z.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    NSFW visual approximation of Lynch at the current moment
    r6p2q9jdvfry.png

    AustinP0027
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Question - if the Katerina turned my two 1's into 6's, do they generate Momentum, or is that only natural 6's?

    Leo somehow manages to dive into the car, and starts struggling with the dog as well. Emmett uses the open moment to jam one boot under the dog's throat, then, with his back braced against the driver door, Emmett kicks as hard as he can, trying to use the force of the spinning car to throw the dog back out of the vehicle into the street.

    base + assist + centrifugal force?

    Geth roll 3d6 to eject dog

    to eject dog:
    3d6 10 [3d6=3, 1, 6]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ll say no to that, for now. I’m still trying to see how often momentum is generated the normal way.

    Leopold & Emmett

    Between you both you boot the dog from the car!

    KURBUNK!

    You run over it as it attempts to leap at you again. The car stalls on top of it. Good hunting. Will you drive the car to the garrison?

    It begins to lightly rain.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Psssst...

    The car has a slow puncture, a rip in the seats and a bunch of scratches on the paintwork. Shucks.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    Triple post!

    On the ride or jog over, consider gaining advancement with a share of intimacy or following a plan one of you spearheads etc.

    xk0gl49j2brc.jpeg
    0ir14wcfsuzq.jpeg


    Besides the hard choices, pat yourself on the back! That was a big one!

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    After the incredibly bloody finish of the…job, Lynch sees something *strangely beautiful* sticking out of the corpse of the mutant Nightmare. The young woman grasps the Corvid Tail Feather…she almost moves to stroke it, before catching herself, and simply decides to place it (with a sort of morbid curiosity) among one of the many pockets inside of her task bag.

    Lynch climbs unsteadily out of the pit, needing to grab at the walls a handful of times on the way out. She watches, world-spinning, as Emmett and Leopold struggle inside the moving car, eventually *ejecting* the wretched dog/bird animal, and managing to catch it under one of the tire’s wheel and end it’s miserable life. Grinning, Lynch stumbles forward toward the back door, and throws herself over into the backseat.

    “*OOOFFFF*…might wanna drive, fellas!…Not sure if there might be more of those godDAMNED things…and think we just took the stuffing out of this buggy! Probably should see how far we can get it from the “crime scene", ‘fore it just gives out entirely!….”

    Lynch splays out on the back couch of the car, the gore and grime of her coat immediately smearing up the fine leather interior. Near *delirious* from the tinnitus and the prolonged action, Lynch reaches down into the bag and pulls out a musty green bottle…

    [Lynch makes -1 pull from her bag for a bottle of Laudanum…to take the edge off, and ease the pain…]

    Lynch takes a couple, tortured *GLUGS* from the “medicine”, before attempting to pass it around the cab in camaraderie. “Ey? It’s good for what ails you, ya? Figure we can all sleep well tonight, after what we’ve just done…”. Leopold and Emmett, for the life of themselves, can’t tell whether Lynch is being sincere or not at the moment...

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo blinks a few times as the car stops spinning, taking a moment to lean out and confirm the dog thing was definitely squished. Leaning back in, he turns in the seat when Lynch joins them and pulls a bottle from her bag and takes a swig, a look on her face that certainly didn't resemble enjoyment.

    "I'll pass. Thanks." Leo responds. "That..." he pauses a moment, "that was serious. I've seen big ones before but I don't think I've had one that creepy right in my face."

    "Thanks for the save back there. I've been a little off since the Morgue."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lynch
    Take that advancement we’ve discussed. Plus, remove a tick from your deafened condition.

    Leo
    Remove your shaken condition completely!



    A sense of urgency builds. You don’t have long until the midnight hours are done. Once at the garrison, you’ll need to gather as many clues as you’re able and escape! There’s undoubtedly a connection between the murder and the increased number of nightmares on the streets!

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm trying to picture "midnight hours". Would it be something that hunters have identified a way to track? As in, we can tell when it starts and we know how much time we have until it ends? Or is it all observational of "when we stop seeing these weird things, it's over"?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    ‘Minutes’ before it ends you’ll sense the proper flow of time returning and, if you were confronting a nightmare or spirit, they’d slowly vanish and cease to be tangible.

    A clock’s seconds hand would start to slowly move, a bees wings would begin to beat, the utter silence of the night would be broken.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    To break the kayfabe, I’ve got a countdown clock I’m ticking whenever you complete something, that I designed or you went for.

    [X][X][X][X][X][_]

    You’re gonna have to book it once you’re at the garrison. I’m just waiting a bit to see if you have anything else to say, then after a joyride you’ll have to speed-run finding another clue.

    After that, it’ll be daylight, which is more of a prep phase. I also wanna discuss the system so far, for feedback.

    Especially @joshgotro if they’ve time.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Makes sense. I think I was just trying to determine if in the story they'd have a "watch" of sorts, but it sounds like it's just a gradual return to normal they learn to catch

    I'm fine with moving on to Garrison. Work's been kicking my ass this week so my creative juices have been drained a bit.

    mrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Emmett glances at Lynch in the rear view. He'd never seen someone go through one of those Things before and come out alive. "Y'alright?" She takes a pull from the bottle.

    "That was one of the biggest I've seen in a while . . . a long while. Let's see what we can learn at the garrison tonight. Maybe finish the Thing we started hunting." Emmett thinks back, remembering the first One he saw. A bloody-eyed rat, twelve feet tall, covered in sparse, wiry hair but no skin, gracefully, silently walking between the members of his patrol, each frozen midstride on their path. It woke them, screaming, one at a time, until none were left. "But tomorrow, there is more to do."

    "We need to find out when the actor's funeral will be. If he was a Hunter that got shot in the back in the Hours, we need to know who his friends were. Who his enemies were. Who knew what he was doing.

    "I want to check out the spot where that spirt was in daylight, too. And I'm not so sure about those runes you copied. We may want to find a way to try to test them . . . they may have been confining the Beasts we met on the bridge, somehow."

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    To be continued tomorrow! Bit of a busy one today!


  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The automobile drives fairly smooth, all things considered. It’s slow, and it’s turn rate is ruined by its flat tire, but you still make it to the garrison in significantly better time an if you’d been on foot. Despite the sheer sense of defeat the place puts on all of you, you can’t help but feel a little thankful the place is lit up by spotlights. You realise just how heavy the rain is getting as sheets of the stuff passes in front in them. The gates into the garrison are open, which seems odd, but not too suspicious. You’ve never come here before to know their protocols.

    There are a couple of armed guards frozen in time at the outer wall. One is slumped in a shack, his jacket pulled up over his head. The other is in the middle of adjusting his rifle strap across his back half way across the road. Further ahead you see a third guard; he looks to have been pushing the inner gate shut.

    The Garrison
    Though you’ve never been inside, you have a vague knowledge of the place from rumour and overheard conversations. It’s got a parade square, naturally, watched over by a wooden clock tower coated in flags and standards of Langleich. The ‘embassy’ is in here; the local seat of command. An old church has been converted into... something. You’re gonna have to judge which building is most pressing to investigate with the limited time availed to you, or split up.
    qa3ztuxdqgvu.jpeg
    oopzu9q5lm69.jpeg
    9ax2ugwuczc5.png

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Time for some fun!

    Reprisal Rules
    The reprisal rules are tools for hosts to liven up an episode.

    First, the host makes a list of 5 or more future dangers and consequences that will come to light later should they make mistakes along the way.

    While the reprisal rules are in force the host makes a note of every successful (6) result and every twisted (1-3) result.

    When the band achieve a goal, or are forced to abandoned it, the reprisal comes to bear.

    The players will gain as many dangers and consequences as they had twisted results up to this point, unless they use their successful results to buy them off, detailing how they planned or outwitting the oncoming trouble.

    —————

    Basically, like a heist scene in a movie, everything goes well until the alarm sounds, and then you’re instantly on the back pedal as multiple dangers come at once!

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Lynch grimaces at the Laudanum bottle. She goes to take another pull, before suddenly thinking better of it, and replacing the stopper instead. Her pulse had slowed back down…gradually, the blood left the backs of her eyes, and that awful pressure in her head let up a bit.

    Can’t keep living like this, Lizzie, an old voice in her head says, but she swiftly pushes it to the back of her thoughts.

    “Yeh…yeh, I think I’m alright, now,” the young woman lies to Emmett, placing the Laudanum back in her bag. “Was touch n’ go there, for a second…and you’re right, the last time I saw one that big…hmmmm….well, ’twas….”

    Flashback….Criminal Life, the Early Days
    It wasn’t long after little Elizabeth Markovic deserted that she’d picked out the Garrison for her “Special Alone Time” one night.

    Given her small frame and lack of a ready gang to back her up, she would’ve had a hard enough time of it out here living the drifter’s life…but the Midnight Hours provided her with an advantage others didn’t have access to, and she’d soon learned how to take an apple here, rob a five-spot there to get by…never too much in one place at one time. Simply a ghost, eking out a meager existence from the scraps of the city…

    But the Garrison wouldn’t present such moral quandaries. She could rob the place *literally* blind, burn *every* bit of fuel, spoil *every* bit of food, and sleep like an Angel tonight knowing what those rat-bastard-invaders would be waking up to!

    She was young and naïve then, and went for her revenge first: lighting fires around the entrance, and beginning to trash the Front Gate. She’d seen Nightmares before, and should’ve known they would heavily roam this place as well, but her hatred had blinded her with temptation. She didn’t hear the thing lurch up, and attempt to stealthily overcome her…

    b5mrmzj0u0aa.png

    It nearly had her, *crushed* beneath the thing’s immense weight, attempting to press the very life out of her. She had *screamed* then, loudly enough to set off her bad ear. In blind desperation, she’d pulled her gun, firing over and over into the fat, awful thing.

    She couldn’t remember exactly what had happened next. She knew she had escaped. She knew she made it home, covered in viscera and with her ears ringing. She knew she had wounded the thing, awfully. But…she also knew it wasn’t dead yet...

    “So, eh…I think I’ll stay next to one of you when we get there…if it’s all the same to you, Emmett? Normally I’d say we split up, but, just been that kinda night, yeah? What about you, Green?” Lynch smiles appreciatively over at Leopold. “Mind if I come with when we get there?”

    “Now, uhhhm, as to tomorrow….think I’m gonna need a long bath, first. Probably need to wash out this coat…and uhhh, think I’m gonna be going to see someone. Friend of mine. See, got a bit o’ ringing in my ears I need ‘im to take a look at….”

    “But yeah, absolutely!” Lynch sits up, looking perky and alert under the layers of blood and grime. “After I take care of all that, I can start looking into the Actor’s background tomorrow!: starting with anything we pull out tonight, yeh? Sound good?”
    ---

    Upon arrival at the Garrison

    “Alright then…whadya think, Emmett? I was thinking…Embassy or Church…but we got precious little time left, yeh? What’s our play, here?”

    mrpaku on
    Endless_SerpentsAustinP0027
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo holds his breath as they drive through the gates past the frozen guards. He knows they are frozen, but there is still a bit of trepidation when it comes to this garrison. He had been taught to revile these invaders, but also had secretly feared them as well. They were driving directly into the heart of the place, and Leo found his hand resting on his knife. He had to forcibly move it away.

    "The Embassy. If something's going on here, I'd be the Embassy has details on it." He looks ahead at the inner court as they are approaching. "Might need to try and prop that gate open fully as well so they can't close us in should someone wake everyone up."

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Across the parade square you hear an single, quiet tick fade into the dark. The second hand on the wooden clock tower has moved.

    Leo
    You prop the gate open with some heavy barrels of crude oil. Good thinking!

    Hunters
    All of you! Time is not on your side. Head where you will without delay!

    There’s no real time for debate, so whoever posts next is picking where to scout out (or you can split up and meet back up during the day).

    As you’re in a rush and have no prior knowledge of this place, say where you head and roll to see if you find a clear entrance (or have to settle for a lesser or hazardous entry point).

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch sees the second hand move, and sweat starts to form upon her brow. "Shit! Less time than I thought we had... Embassy sounds good to me, Green, but it has to be now! It'll need to be in and out...the last place I wanna be when the clock starts up again is this place, ya get me?"

    Embassy, but then we need to hoof it immediately

    Geth roll 1d6 for Pathfinding

    Pathfinding:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    AustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lynch

    You sprint off, hop over a bench and leap! You land with both feet either side of a drain pipe and climb up to an partly open window. You slide it open and roll. Any mistake would have landed you on your back, and you’re lucky you’re thin enough to get through the window. Following you will be a challenge.

    You’re on the second floor of the embassy.

    92exrbae8leu.png

    You tumble against a spiral staircase that leads up to the third floor. Either side of you is a close door. They’re not locked, just regular internal doors, as you’d find anywhere. The carpet is a rich red, something you’ve not seen the likes off. The wallpaper some foreign design, barely seen beneath the portraits of noblemen and generals (often the same thing) that litter the walls.

    What do you do?

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "She's fast." Emmett gives up on the idea of trying to keep up with her and heads towards the old church.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    Lynch is gonna try to make her way *immediately* to that Center office, as quickly and stealthily as possible. She'll pass through the room containing the Artefacts shelves on her way there, taking very careful note of valuables she could potentially come back for later. If she gets to the Central office without any incident, she'll be looking for the previous day's itinerary items on a Desk or open filing folder, then cross-referencing that information to help her find whatever files/information these guys had on the Actor

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Emmett

    The heavy oak doors are unlocked. Seems even these bastards consider church sanctuary. As you raise your head from heaving the doors open, you see it. A towering statue brought over from Langleich. It’s their patron saint.

    0z0rlp27ka59.jpeg

    Lynch

    Any of the portraits could be worth something, but only a fool would think you own them legitimately. Once word gets out they’d be poison to any art buyer.

    There’s a few glass cases showing off old swords, sceptres and liberated tokens from many lands. Hard to gauge while on the run.

    You hastily open the door to the office and just about step into a woman reaching for the door handle! Do you try to avoid her at the last second?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    In her haste, Lynch opens the door upon one of the Slumbering, still up and about at this odd hour. Distracted by her mission, Lynch nearly barrels into the poor woman, attempting to *jerk* to the side at the last second...

    1 for the Challenge, 1 for a "Leave No Trace" Meticulous Infiltration

    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 6 [2d6=3, 3]

    mrpaku on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lynch

    Just a touch, skin on skin. It’s enough. She’s starting to move!

    If you run for it she might, well, you have no idea how this part works!

    What do you do?

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Emmett circles the statue, once, but slowly, eyes panning the statue and interior of the cathedral.

    Not sure if there is an aspect of the challenge here?

    Geth roll 2d6 with Observant

    with Observant:
    2d6 4 [2d6=3, 1]

Sign In or Register to comment.