As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We Bid A Fond Farewell To The "Rush Limbaugh Died" Thread, Not Him

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, in my experience at least half of the cashiers working at big box hardware stores are working on liberal arts MAs, so one of them might have recognized Ben Shapiro, intuited that he was about to film a humiliating video, and decided to put the cherry on top for us all.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You can buy all kinds of things at Home Depot. You could buy a lamp, or a hammer, or some light bulbs.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    You can buy all kinds of things at Home Depot. You could buy a lamp, or a hammer, or some light bulbs.

He could've bought a fuckin' stepladder

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

He could've bought a fuckin' stepladder

He does need help fuckin'

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

They've got allen wrenches, gerbil feeders, toilet seats, electric heaters
    Trash compactors, juice extractor, shower rods and water meters
    Walkie-talkies, copper wires, safety goggles, radial tires
    BB pellets, rubber mallets, fans and dehumidifiers
    Picture hangers, paper cutters, waffle irons, window shutters
    Paint removers, window louvres, masking tape and plastic gutters
    Kitchen faucets, folding tables, weather stripping, jumper cables
    Hooks and tackle, grout and spackle, power foggers, spoons and ladles
    Pesticides for fumigation, high-performance lubrication
    Metal roofing, water proofing, multi-purpose insulation
    Air compressors, brass connectors, wrecking chisels, smoke detectors
    Tire gauges, hamster cages, thermostats and bug deflectors
    Trailer hitch demagnetizers, automatic circumcisers
    Tennis rackets, angle brackets, Duracells and Energizers
    Soffit panels, circuit breakers, vacuum cleaners, coffee makers
    Calculators, generators, matching salt and pepper shakers

Madican on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The last thing I bought at a home depot was a giant jug of pine-sol for mopping my apartment, because the prive to volume was way better than buying it at the grocery store, and a set of shelves for work.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey, it's page 69, my dudes!

Which is something Ben Shapiro has never experienced, and Rush Limbaugh can never experience (again?), because he's dead.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    When have people stopped buying things from Home Depot? Home Depot was regarded as an essential service last time I heard, and if they weren't getting so much business what the hell did I spend the entire last year packing and shipping vices and clamps to Home Depots for.

I won't ask what Ben Shapiro's point is supposed to be because for one I don't care and for two, I'm not convinced he has one.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    When have people stopped buying things from Home Depot? Home Depot was regarded as an essential service last time I heard, and if they weren't getting so much business what the hell did I spend the entire last year packing and shipping vices and clamps to Home Depots for.

I won't ask what Ben Shapiro's point is supposed to be because for one I don't care and for two, I'm not convinced he has one.

Lowes

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

Also a number of small and local hardware stores in a number of areas. I've actually tried to use an Ace Hardware more than Home depot as much as possible, though some items they just don't carry.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Ironically, you cannot buy a home at Home Depot.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »

Also a number of small and local hardware stores in a number of areas. I've actually tried to use an Ace Hardware more than Home depot as much as possible, though some items they just don't carry.

Yeah, I mostly use this small private hardware store a couple of blocks from work .

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It always impresses me how deft the right are at avoiding the issues themselves. None of them are actually saying how great these voting restriction laws are, they’re focusing on the cancel culture prong. It’s worrying cos it could work. Brave republicans standing up for the little guy, like celebrities, corporate chains and Fox News pundits who might get deplatformed.

Prohass on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    That can be a gamble, as my wife found out when Covid started and she figured out pretty quickly which local areas were Trump supporters based off mask policy adherence.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Since we bought a house (and I started lock-down woodworking) i've been having more and more reasons to go to hardware stores. Lowes and HD are pretty interchangeable in terms of selection & quality, though I try to prefer Lowes because (from what I've gathered) their corporate politics tend to skew better than HD's.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Ironically, you cannot buy a home at Home Depot.

You also can't buy adults at an adult store! What if you REALLY NEED AN ADULT or something?

• Options
    edited April 2021
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Since we bought a house (and I started lock-down woodworking) i've been having more and more reasons to go to hardware stores. Lowes and HD are pretty interchangeable in terms of selection & quality, though I try to prefer Lowes because (from what I've gathered) their corporate politics tend to skew better than HD's.

Lowe's donates conservative, as you'd pessimistically expect an American corporation the size of Lowe's to do.

But as far as big-box hardware stores go, they're definitely your best bet because they contribute to PACs much less than Home Depot in general, and their non-PAC activities tend to be much more progressive. They do less harm and they do some good, but they still do harm and don't do much good.

The only other mitigating factor is that if you have a local hardware store, odds are those guys are fucking terrible. If there's a decent human being at the intersection of Small Business Owner and Hardware Store, I definitely have not met them. Fucking QAnon'o'clock, 100%.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have never talked to a Home Depot employee that seemed to know what they were doing, except the bloke that was cutting lumber to size.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    not sure of the home depot context, but i have to get some home improvement stuff this weekend so i'm going to go to lowe's just to spite ben shapiro

I believe one of Home Depot's co-founders and CEO is an open Trump supporter and donor. Since then I too have turned to Lowe's in protest.

Which kind of sucks because I like Husky and Ryobi products.

Yeah, that's probably Bernie Marcus. He's a real asshole. His family is insufferable, pampered, spoiled assholes as well. At least the other co-founder Arthur Blank is a reasonably fun person to be around according to my partner.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It is amusing to watch right wingers grapple with the realities of their support for capitalism but also condemning of cancel culture. Also the limits of their abilities to boycott and support companies, because they’re actually a minority, which the companies realise but the voting laws intentionally obfuscate

Prohass on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I have never talked to a Home Depot employee that seemed to know what they were doing, except the bloke that was cutting lumber to size.

I can't blame them for that. Working retail, I hated being asked detailed questions by customers.

Like, I just put this shit on the shelves and run the register.

If I knew how to build a porch or install an air conditioner, I wouldn't be here making $8 an hour.

• Options

I'm...actually in favor of this. If there's a more godforsaken stretch of highway in America than that, I haven't personally driven it. And I've driven that godforsaken stretch of highway many times. If we're going to name anything after Trump, it should be either that or one of the many feedlots in the area.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I lost minutes laughing at this video. I coughed laughing at this. This video made it hard to breathe from my laughter. My sides hurt now.

It's just so wonderously pathetic. It's the most pathetically mediocre thing he could've done, and he made a video of his triumphance.

He bought a small wood plank and put it in a plastic bag that can only contain 1/3rd of it. He grips the receipt as one would a trophy, cataloging his expenditure of <$10 to "own the libs".

If it was anyone else, I would've found it sad. But with Ben "I think I looked at a hammer once, and it made me feel like a poor" Shapiro, it's a glorious proclamation of his own uselessness, and it sent me into peals of laughter.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »

I'm...actually in favor of this. If there's a more godforsaken stretch of highway in America than that, I haven't personally driven it. And I've driven that godforsaken stretch of highway many times. If we're going to name anything after Trump, it should be either that or one of the many feedlots in the area.

I've cruised a stretch of road in the middle of the Utah desert that had a rest stop that time forgot. I doubt it had been cleaned in 2 years and the flies were trying to escape the bathroom when I attempted to open the door. That bathroom is about the right level of class to have his name smeared on it.

I wound up doing my business behind the building near a creosote bush.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    This magnificent piece of

poplar

like, fucking poplar? Really? Poplar? Is he making paper?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Ahahaha shit I just realized

I bet he went to self-checkout and bagged it himself

No one would have bagged that board for him

I think I've decided that he bagged it so that the logo for home depot would be on camera, which is its own kind of embarrassing

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    someone on twitter said that he probably called it a "slice of wood" when he went into the store and I haven't been able to stop thinking about that all day

• Options
    guy wouldn't know a board-foot if it kicked him in the teeth

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I've had some thoughts of introducing his magnificent piece of poplar to his junk at high speed...repeatedly.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

I've had some thoughts of introducing his magnificent piece of poplar to his junk at high speed...repeatedly.

Best to keep the trajectory at something he actually uses.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

Best to keep the trajectory at something he actually uses.

I'd aim for his head, but its protected by being completely up his ass.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    with how these things are this probably isn't the first time he bought a big piece of wood

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm getting my silicon grease at Lowe's this weekend ...

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I don't even understand the context of the shapiro video, it's a complete non-sequitor to me. what the fuck is the importance of buying something at home depot? who...gives a shit? god, I hate him so much

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don't even understand the context of the shapiro video, it's a complete non-sequitor to me. what the fuck is the importance of buying something at home depot? who...gives a shit? god, I hate him so much

Reactionary politics. Liberals don't like Trump supporters, Home Depot has a Trump guy, ergo liberals will be very mad and owned if you purchase a single plank at Home Depot and bag it like produce.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's really difficult to overstate just how stupid and basic the thinking of reactionaries is.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

Reactionary politics. Liberals don't like Trump supporters, Home Depot has a Trump guy, ergo liberals will be very mad and owned if you purchase a single plank at Home Depot and bag it like produce.

specifically this time, Home Depot apparently refused to denounce Georgia's racist new anti-voting law, so liberals want to pressure HD for that decision and the "own the libs" crowd thinks that spending money at HD will make liberals mad.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    It's really difficult to overstate just how stupid and basic the thinking of reactionaries is.
    Spite is great for advertising/sales and it isn't just conservatives.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I can't blame them for that. Working retail, I hated being asked detailed questions by customers.

Like, I just put this shit on the shelves and run the register.

If I knew how to build a porch or install an air conditioner, I wouldn't be here making $8 an hour.

I worked briefly at a Home Depot several years back (the people were nice, the job was miserable, you'd get hit on by contractors old enough to be your father while standing on concrete floors in the only steel-toes you could afford, I lasted maybe 6 weeks because I could walk to it from my house before quitting after a closing shift "because I....got a job in something in my field...yeah...")

Anyway the entirety of the training for all of the sections involved doing little flash courses at one of two crumbling desktop computers in the employee break room; if you were in one of the actual dedicated jobs like paint mixing or teaching the little courses there was more of an element of physical skill, but otherwise you just sort of got told "hey you're in plumbing now" and bam, you're the product expert, so it didn't really require you to have any background knowledge or interest in the thing

I'm sure if the company brings in say, retired contractors who want to pick up a few hours, they might actually put them in the right aisle, but for the untrained youths it was more a direct assignment into a thing

Occasionally when my Dad and I are at a Home Depot and he sees an associate advising someone in the flooring aisle, we'll lurk until he can tell the customer to put the cheap urethane down and give them real advice

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.