As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rebel Script ⍺] We Are Become

2»

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited March 5
    If you cook up the beast (no roll required), it’ll grant a small bonus related to swimming for the rest of the day!

    6tltdzi0mzkd.jpeg


    Big lifts Wave up onto their huge shoulders.

    Everyone jogs over to make sure you’re all okay, and to dance in celebration!

    Hawk turns to Spring, “Maybe you should lead with me? I think some of use should collect silver... what about the others?”

    Hawk is no longer so serious and stern.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Suddenly!
    The other team come running towards you from down the beach! Sunshine, Cloud and Leaf are carrying Petals over their heads. Petals is... asleep?

    Shade was with them too... where are they now?!

    What do you do?

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Run towards them and try to get Petals to wake up?
    They're two people in one body... maybe I can at least wake up one of them...

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    That’s an interesting thought! Run with it, describe what you do! It won’t need a roll, but I want a bit of roleplay. Consider what you’ve got around you... or pull out an item and mark a use!

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    I'll gently shake Petals's shoulder and try to put a bit of sushi in their mouth.

    "Look Petals! Fresh food... Wake up and celebrate with us!"

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Success!

    Wave
    To your surprise, your first try was the right move!

    “It’s got us! Ah! Oh... Hi Wave.”, Petals say between chews on the sushi.

    Once they’ve caught their breath Petals explains they were stung by what they’ve called a jelly fish.

    They continue suddenly, talking over themselves, “Shade is was over under with us! We mean! We dived, then the jellyfish—We don’t know where Shade is!”

    The rest of them gasp, dumbstruck, the idea of being lost is an unwelcome first.

    The meat of those beasts is a partial cure to jelly fish stings! Remember that...

    However, Petals is hobbled for the rest of the day, as they have thin wounds on their leg. They need tending to before it gets worse, which is a challenge! Take +1d as everyone present will help.

    How will you go about it?



    Spring
    Shade is missing! What will you do?

    Hawk nods to you. They’ll be by your side, but they’re looking for a bit of guidance, whether they’d admit it or not. No one has ever been lost before!

    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Poor Petals!

    Maybe we can use Cup's groundbreaking invention to rinse their leg and then persuade them to rest instead of hobbling about...
    (unless Star's superpower is magically healing leg wounds)

    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 11 [2d6=5, 6]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited March 10
    Wave
    Star takes a deep breath and holds out their hands. Nothing happens.

    “I sense there are demons in the sea. Demons are bad!”, they confirm, “We will have to keep some of that meat on hand in the future, it has power.”

    Cup jogs over, oblivious to Star.

    “Yep! I’m on it!”, Cup beams, ever ready to use their namesake.

    Petals expression twitches from calm to concerned over and over, “We are so grateful I must go back and find Shade!”

    Then pull themselves up using your spear. Cup returns and cleans them up, ensuring the wound won’t be a significant problem later on. It’s not too deep, now you see it clearly, but Petals will be slow for a day or two. Your quick thinking has saved Petals, and given Cups an interest in healing others!

    “We’ve got to.”, Petals says, shaking their head.

    Will you give Petals your spear to use as a walking stick? Either way, they’re going to try to find Shade.


    Endless_Serpents on
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Gladly giving Petals my spear as a walking stick!
    Is Shade still in the water then?
    Did Spring or someone else already go looking?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Petals immediately sets off down the beach at a slow pace.

    Shade is lost! They were swimming, but no one is sure where they are now.

    chz8nwbwrv2s.jpeg
    Unless they’re fast as the wind, they must be around here somewhere...

    Spring is... What will spring do next!?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ve just started a new job, so we’ll be taking a break until Sunday! In the meantime do tell me what you think of the system and the game so far.

    PirateQueenMahnmut
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Well I like the roll-mechanic a lot, the pool builds easy and it’s interesting to think about our Aspects instead of more straight-laced Stats. I noticed that at least once we’ve added the “help” die after the fact by having the helper just roll +1d6, and that seems very sensible for streamlining PbP. I think I would like to ask for a devil’s bargain 😈 soon.

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Previously, on We Are Become

    The tribe awoke with no prior knowledge on a hill they’ve made their home. After much debate, Wave, Hawk and Spring lead the people to the beach. So far they’ve collected handfuls of silver and slain a sea beast, but Petals was harmed by a jellyfish and Shade has gone missing!

    What will you do now?

    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Organise a search party to look for Shade?
    (if our fearless leaders Spring and Hawk are in agreement ; )

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sounds like a plan! I’ll update later with maps and things!

    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    1wg0918mwnj6.jpeg

    Spring, Wave, Hawk and Petals follow back from where Petals was swimming with Shade into the forest. Everyone else is spread out along the beach, checking the rock pools and looking out to sea. Most of them are having fun looking for Shade... after all, what consequences are there, for anything?

    But Hawk looks pensive, “What happens when you are ‘lost’?”, he gulps, “What is that like?”

    Petals is straining to walk, but even as their brown body becomes coated in sweat, they won’t let up.



    Spring
    What about this forest is frightening?
    What is here that should not be?
    What will help you find Shade?


    Wave
    What about the forest is beautiful?
    What isn’t here that you’d expect?
    Why are you sure you’ll find Shade?



    Just answer as best you can off the top of your heads gang, you’re making stuff up! No pressure.

    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The map is just a rough reference, you don’t move a certain number of squares when you move or anything like that.

    z00a31634nk6.jpeg

    PirateQueen
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    What’s frightening about the forest is how much forest there is all around us. There’s places you can stand where you can’t see the sky, and you can never see more than a few yards ahead, either.

    There’s a constant high-pitched tone thrumming through the air, but it’s not coming from anything we can see.

    Broken vines, crushed stems, and trampled leaves make it clear that something or someone has been through here before us. Maybe it’s Shade?

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    What's beautiful about the forest is how lush and green it is... more alive than any place I've seen before. There's so many smells here, earthy, mossy, flowery... something burning? Didn't expect that! That's gotta be where Shade is!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Shadows pass over you at speed! Something like people, but definitely not of the tribe... Forest people. They move so easily through the high canopy it is obvious this is their birthplace and rightful home.

    Big points and names them suddenly, his usually booming voice low and respectful, “Ape.”

    Several trees are covered in birds, who watch you carefully, but soon return to their loud chatter and internal struggles for the best perch. Others are crawling with butterflies two hands wide, in ever colour you can imagine. One lands on Petals, who simply continues to trudge onwards. Soon you feel you are just another being in the forest; it pays you no mind, and why should it?

    The trampled earth leads west. As you begin to follow it the scent of smoke and the high pitched noise grows in potency.

    You come to a sudden drop into a hidden, shadowy lake within the forest. Gazing down over the ledge you see... something huge half submerged in the still water, and by the shore of the lake, facing it, a single figure. Shade!

    dqzykvhpzljr.jpeg

    The object in the lake is the source of the humming and the smell of fire. But it is unmoving.

    Shade is wobbling side to side ever so slightly. You don’t know why. Then they take a step into the lake...


    What do you do?

    Feel free to use Hawk, Big and Petals as part of your actions, giving them orders and such. Think of this like a movie scene rather than a turn based encounter. Narrate what you think is cool, and I’ll ask you to roll if you need to.

    Endless_Serpents on
    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    coclnepaf2cp.jpeg

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    The thing in the lake seems very interesting... and dangerous!

    Wave thinks we should stop Shade from coming any closer.

    Maybe Hawk can try to talk them down (being so good at talking a lot), while the rest of us try to run over to them and hold them back if necessary?

    Unless Spring feels differently...

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    God, that thing is terrifying. Do I innately know the word for that thing? It's not an angel is it?

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hawk puts his hand on either side of his mouth and hoots. When this has no effect Hawk shouts, “Shade! Turn around! It’s us! Listen to me!”

    Hawk jumps up and down, continuing to make as much noise as he can... Shade stops. Then they move again, maybe a little slower, but only a little. You don’t understand why they’re not listening!

    bzhs28k127k7.jpeg

    You’re going to need to grab Shade if you want them to get away from the object in the lake!

    The Object
    The object is made of a kind of metal. It looks to have eyes on it, but they don’t blink or look around. They’re like the paintings Sunshine makes, but much better, more detailed. It’s very large!
    You have no word for what this is. It must have power though; it is attracting Shade to it somehow!

    Will you name it “angel” Wave?

    PirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    I think Spring's already named it "angel" - very good name for it in Wave's opinion!
    wish Sunshine was here to see the intricate paintings

    Let's try and grab Shade.... by their long hair if necessary.... between Spring, Big and me, surely we can hold them back...
    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wave
    In your worry you take the most direct route to the lake; you grab the vines growing up the cliff and quickly climb down—until your weight pulls the vines away and you crash into the wet silt around the edge of the lake with a soft splat.

    Or did it go that way?

    Wave! If you’re willing to take further risk, you can roll another d6 and take that result, but any trouble that befalls you will be worse.



    Big takes a longer route, running east, hoping to jump from a lower area.

    You’re all under pressure to reach Shade in time! He’s nearly touching the object.

    Between you both a success (6) saves him, if you both roll less than that... we’ll see.

  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Will take further risk!
    Geth roll 1d6

    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    Endless_SerpentsMahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited March 31
    Wave
    As the vines pull away from the cliff, you turn and push off with one leg, tucking your body in tight to land with a roll! You’re propelled into the lake and create a splash that covers Shade.

    “Guh! Where am I?”, Shade asks.

    Shade shakes his head, and stands still.

    Both of you, what do you do next? For Wave that’s not another roll, I simply want to know what you do to stop Shade touching the thing. How you go about it matters.

    Endless_Serpents on
    PirateQueen
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Wave
    As the vines pull away from the cliff, you turn and push off with one leg, tucking your body in tight to land with a roll! You’re propelled into the lake and create a splash that covers Shade.

    “Guh! Where am I?”, Shade asks.

    Shade shakes his head, and stands still.

    Both of you, what do you do next? For Wave that’s not another roll, I simply want to know what you do to stop Shade touching the thing. How you go about it matters.

    I think I was honestly stunned by the sight of the angel; I ran along behind Wave, several many beats delayed, hollering too. So I'm still up on the cliff looking down.

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    PirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    As no one interrupted Shade in time, they move forward until they’re neck deep in the lake... and he lays a hand on the submerged angel!

    To be continued!

    MahnmutPirateQueen
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 6
    You’re not sure what happens first, the angel softly turning into flakes of ash, or Shade’s eyes rolling back as they sink headfirst into the steamy water.

    Wave, you feel your legs warm suddenly as the water ripples out, a gentle wave passing around you. You can dive and grab Shade, no problem—if you don’t you doubt he’ll swim to the surface by himself. You don’t know what’s happened to the water. Would you risk yourself for Shade?

    Spring, you realise you are alone on the cliff side. Everyone else is closing in on the lake, making noises you have not heard before, a tone of voice you’ve never known. Fear. Everyone, especially Hawk, will remember you didn’t act. From your vantage point you begin to understand something vital, the shape of this area was made by the angel. Like a rock thrown into mud, you can see how the angel crashed through the forest and created the lake it was submerged it. Angels can fall, you now know. But from where exactly?



    On the other side of the lake to Wave, Hawk is running, scrambling into the lake, breaking into a rough breaststroke as soon as they can. Petal and Big are following Wave.

    Wave: Add an extra 1d6 to your next roll; Big and Petals will do whatever you do.

    The breeze carries the largest flakes of ash high above the tree line, eastward, gentle and slow.

    84ga0esy6z0m.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutPirateQueen
  • PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    Whoa... Wave's intrigued by m the funky water

    "Big, Petals... I'm gonna grab Shade!
    I can dive in and get him, I'm sure..."
    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 10 [2d6=5, 5]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wave
    You’re not used to diving down, and so you take just a few seconds longer than you wished. You rise up from the water breathless, nose streaming, and besides you Big and Petals are coughing, eyes closed, unsteady. In your arms you carrying Shade, who is breathing softly, sound asleep, warm to the touch.

    He now has a pair of horns curling out from his head.



    Hawk falls back in shock as you exit the water. He looks up to Spring, then at the lake where the angel once stood. He slowly gets up, a rock in his hand. He whispers,“This is a wrong thing that has happened.”

    What do you do?

    PirateQueen
Sign In or Register to comment.