As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Bestbuy or not to Bestbuy

valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
I was looking at getting this..
g9tscmxc4z46.jpg

Last time I purchased a desktop was in 2007, from Best Buy and it has held up pretty well, except for not being able to game for the last 6 years or so.

I was thinking about building one out (a friend was helping me right when the pandemic hit) but the rising price of processors stopped that. Would this be a decent machine if I want to game?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    You can do much better for not a lot more.

More ram and a bigger SSD are easy cheap and big improvements.

That said. I would make sure anything is a 1 tb m.2 ssd system drive and might as well have 32 gugs of 3200 ram.

Gaming cam be anything from competitive 144hz fps shooter at 4k to Civ 6. What are you aiming for and is this / what is your budget?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Ummm... I used to know what computer terms meant. In the early 90s.

This is probably the top end of my budget.

And probably more Civ 6, but with the occasional foray into something a little more stressful. I would like to see what some of these games are supposed to look like that I can't play right now.

Honestly, most ahooters I will still play on my XBox. Heresy, I know.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yeah that price is fucking ridiculous. Look here for reference on what you should be pulling or that price range. I mean, HDD. . .what century is this (if it is an NVME fine, but even so 1300 for that config is nuts).

. . .it seems you aren't at all interested in building your own rig? If you were to invest in some refresher videos you could build yourself a mighty fine strategy gaming machine for the above cost. I would click around Newegg (and Tiger Direct) to see how far your dollar is supposed to go in regards to PC components.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    bigger SSD is the only thing I'd really advise there, but you don't have a lot of choice with prebuilts, they usually don't give you good size SSDs unless you buy the super premium expensive one.

As for the price, well, it comes with a graphics card so presumably that's worth a lot vs. not being able to find one right now if you're building your own system.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Prebuilts use HDDs as storage drives because they can promote gobs of storage for cheap. Then they use smaller SSDs as OS drives to cut down cost but keep overall operating speed high. It's a common tactic for most system builders.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I would get this for the 3070 alone.

. . .of course what you're gaming at @valhalla130 matters: if you're doing 1080P you should be fine (and a 3070 might be overkill for Civ 6); if you want to bump things up eventually it would be nice to "future proof" with a 3070 rig.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, totally grab the 3070 system if you can because that gpu will have some legs for what you're doing and it has the power to let you play new stuff at high settings if you want.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I wouldn’t buy any 20xx card unless it’s absolutely necessary.

ie you have nothing to play on currently, and even then I’d still search pretty hard for a prebuilt with a 30xx prior.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Prebuilts use HDDs as storage drives because they can promote gobs of storage for cheap. Then they use smaller SSDs as OS drives to cut down cost but keep overall operating speed high. It's a common tactic for most system builders.

There are plenty of prebuilts that will include large SSDs, but HP is not one of those manufacturers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2021

That link does not appear to work. HP lists their 25L as sold out and the 30L as on back order. And that was after searching their site.

Edit: It was probably too good of a deal.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    But I will keep the recommendations about the video card in mind

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Give nzxtbld a look too. They build at 100 over cost. Not that it will necessarily be in your budget but it's another prebuilt option.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/