As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outriders] Ride and die (a lot).

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The game does need to give the character a name though, people calling the protagonist "Outrider" when they clearly have a less formal relationship doesn't work.

This is just such a *thing* for RPGs it doesn't even bother me
    Normally it doesn't for me either, but in the prologue the Outrider was buddy-buddy with a bunch of people, used their names, but the reverse didn't happen.

I guess it doesn't really matter based on what happens in the prologue, but still.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If you just wanna grind for a legendary, you can reset story progress to right before Gauss. Two chests and no mobs before the boss, one chest after the boss.

not saying don't, and maybe the world tier and level caps will contain you guys power, but are you guys worried you'll create a overlevel situation for a lot of the content out of the gate?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    If you just wanna grind for a legendary, you can reset story progress to right before Gauss. Two chests and no mobs before the boss, one chest after the boss.

not saying don't, and maybe the world tier and level caps will contain you guys power, but are you guys worried you'll create a overlevel situation for a lot of the content out of the gate?

It is all level capped still, so there's a limit to how strong you could get. Grinding now is just a way of pretending you got really lucky basically I think :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I was actually surprised at the amount of dialogue from the main character. I know its not a GAAS game, but I've come to just accept rpgs where you create a protag will be silent.

I'm not sure how I feel about the dialogue, and by extension the voiced protag.

They've made the overall setting so grimdark and edgy, and the characters all so arbitrarily asshole-ish, that I don't mind the protags proclivity for violence and indifference towards human life.

Like, in the protags shoes I'd also be pretty flippant about human life if everyone was a capital D dick about even the most innocuous shit and I was, seemingly, an immortal demi god.
    Like when you chop the head off of the one captain who wanted you to run no man's land? Fucking dope response from the PC about how its "about what you did to me", shutting down their pathetic attempt to prolong their own life.

Or when you inadvertently rescue that one merchant. Its hilarious, but was it intentionally presented that way? Was it too much genre awareness?

How often have you done a sidequest and inadvertently saved someone you don't give a shit about? Wouldn't you love to express your actual indifference to them in game? But that's never an option. Except its the default here. Wait, that's illegal!

So yeah, not sure how I feel about it. I guess so long as this game world is just absolute shit I don't mind treating the characters in it like shit I guess. Let's lean in to the bleak "their lives have no purpose" of it all

• Options
    kime wrote: »

It is all level capped still, so there's a limit to how strong you could get. Grinding now is just a way of pretending you got really lucky basically I think :P

lol, I mean I think there's going to be a big difference in a level 7 in mixed up gear going into chapter 2 vs a level 7 in all legendary gear though. plus there's going to be crafting, and depending on how they implement that it's going to make a break-scenario come even sooner. but maybe the world tier progression rates will go up to match you to your power quickly? idk

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

lol, I mean I think there's going to be a big difference in a level 7 in mixed up gear going into chapter 2 vs a level 7 in all legendary gear though. plus there's going to be crafting, and depending on how they implement that it's going to make a break-scenario come even sooner. but maybe the world tier progression rates will go up to match you to your power quickly? idk

Everything scales with you, yeah you'll be op at level 7 but it'll only really make a difference for the next level or two. Then you'll be replacing all that with greens again and since the content is scaled to your level everything will be balanced again. The real benefit to grinding loot now is unlocking more mods, especially the legendary ones. Technically you can also upgrade weapon levels but the drop rates at higher world tiers are just so much higher that, imo, it's really not worth it to hang on to these level 9 legendaries through to the endgame, the mods are more important. Which yeah, can also give you a boost if you mod every weapon upgrade, but I think that might also balance against the WT system and having to grind for mats to do so. The legendary loot pool in the demo is pretty small so who even knows if those mods will be desirable later on.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    All right, All right, downloading Demo

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Everything scales with you, yeah you'll be op at level 7 but it'll only really make a difference for the next level or two. Then you'll be replacing all that with greens again and since the content is scaled to your level everything will be balanced again. The real benefit to grinding loot now is unlocking more mods, especially the legendary ones. Technically you can also upgrade weapon levels but the drop rates at higher world tiers are just so much higher that, imo, it's really not worth it to hang on to these level 9 legendaries through to the endgame, the mods are more important. Which yeah, can also give you a boost if you mod every weapon upgrade, but I think that might also balance against the WT system and having to grind for mats to do so. The legendary loot pool in the demo is pretty small so who even knows if those mods will be desirable later on.

Oh yeah, for sure this gear shouldn't last into endgame, just my thing would be getting useless drops for chapters worth of playtime. But we shall see.

Really would like to see another system like Remnant's where there the scaling has a floor per region, but also a constantly increasing cap that's always set higher than your level (per world seed). Off the top of my head the Tier system level scaling later on does something like this with enemy scaling...? I'll have to check it out when I play some more tomorrow.

• Options

Oh yeah, for sure this gear shouldn't last into endgame, just my thing would be getting useless drops for chapters worth of playtime. But we shall see.

Really would like to see another system like Remnant's where there the scaling has a floor per region, but also a constantly increasing cap that's always set higher than your level (per world seed). Off the top of my head the Tier system level scaling later on does something like this with enemy scaling...? I'll have to check it out when I play some more tomorrow.

Yup, the world tiers have an enemy level modifier. 3 is equal level then they go up +1 each tier after that. So it basically works like that. I don't think the story areas have any hard floors, enemy levels are always just your level + or - the WT modifier.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Yup, the world tiers have an enemy level modifier. 3 is equal level then they go up +1 each tier after that. So it basically works like that. I don't think the story areas have any hard floors, enemy levels are always just your level + or - the WT modifier.

I think enemies actually have a set level they scale off of, as opposed to yours. I know in one area I was fighting lvl 9 enemies at lvl 7 and tier 5.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

I think enemies actually have a set level they scale off of, as opposed to yours. I know in one area I was fighting lvl 9 enemies at lvl 7 and tier 5.

That's scaling off your level. They're level 9 because you're level 7 and tier 5 adds another 2.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Lol, I forgot the world tiers start negative. Checks out then.

• Options
    The world tiers are weird, because the captains have been harder to kill than the story boss. Well, for me anyway. I guess I should have done all the side-quests first?

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am hoping that the cutscenes stabilize a bit.

Also, I feel like some cuts and transitions were super abrupt.

Also, Also, I hope that the cover system gets a bit of refinement.

Otherwise, this game is pretty fun. Took awhile to figure out how the powers worked, but once it clicked, it was pretty boss.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Otherwise, this game is pretty fun. Took awhile to figure out how the powers worked, but once it clicked, it was pretty boss.

The cover system is pretty horrible. I can't tell you how many times I died from not being able to use cover that just wouldn't 'activate'. Very frustrating.

I was really not liking the game at first but each time I fire it up I like it more and more. And man are the abilities fun. Even abilities that are sort of standard at least have very cool animations that make them stand out. I don't think anything so far beats putting people in a time bubble and then using the slash attack so that they slowly turn into skeletons and then fall apart.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I don't bother with cover really unless I'm in the orange on health and need to refocus. Cover is there but it's just functional and not at all the focus for PCF.

. . .I honestly imagine the "cover" issues will be forgotten once people are playing in actual co-op instead of solo; watched Cohh and Co. play this yesterday and they went into cover sparingly, instead just comboing off each others abilities (which I'm sure is how PFC envisioned people playing the game).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

The cover system is pretty horrible. I can't tell you how many times I died from not being able to use cover that just wouldn't 'activate'. Very frustrating.

I was really not liking the game at first but each time I fire it up I like it more and more. And man are the abilities fun. Even abilities that are sort of standard at least have very cool animations that make them stand out. I don't think anything so far beats putting people in a time bubble and then using the slash attack so that they slowly turn into skeletons and then fall apart.

Bullets from outside the bubble that enter in will actually slow down and you'll see them in all matrix glory. It was a surprising delight to see that.

Gameplay got much better for me once I decided to ditch cover and pretend it wasn't even there. I would suggest others finding the gameplay stiff and frustrating to try the same.

• Options
    Yes, I LOVE that effect when bullets come on.
    In another Matrix-y move, I love the force field that the tank class has. That was a freakin game changer and not only do I think I am getting the full game but that I will play the tank, which is very unlike me.

ED! - Yea I stopped using cover like I would in Gears or The Division when I made my second char. Though I still would like it to work better so I could duck when I need and get a breather.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    "Cover?" *laughs in Trickster*

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Devastator bullet reflect has similar vibes, I love it. I think it will have to be nerfed. It lasts 10 seconds, blocks all ranged damage from that direction. The 10 second length is half the cooldown on other abilities, meaning you have a lot of ability uptime. It's nice to just chill behind your own barrier.

I wonder how nerf-prone the devs will be.

• Options
    I use cover a lot as a Technomancer, because I'm mostly having fun sniping people from far away.

Cover is for noobs if your Trickster. Just run in slashing and teleporting and laughing like a maniac.

And.... I don't think I'm a good Pyro, cover or not... I can't get anything to work consistently, I've died so many times as a Pyro. Pretty sure I only have 1-2 deaths in total of the other two classes, discounting when I thought I was pausing the game and I wasn't :P . I think it feels like Pyro is the squishy mage dps and you need someone in front of you to tank things.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Devastator bullet reflect has similar vibes, I love it. I think it will have to be nerfed. It lasts 10 seconds, blocks all ranged damage from that direction. The 10 second length is half the cooldown on other abilities, meaning you have a lot of ability uptime. It's nice to just chill behind your own barrier.

I wonder how nerf-prone the devs will be.

Yea the shield did feel suuuper powerful. It probably NEEDS a nerf but I also sort of don't want one because I love when it ends and 10 enemies just collapse =p.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    I use cover a lot as a Technomancer, because I'm mostly having fun sniping people from far away.

Cover is for noobs if your Trickster. Just run in slashing and teleporting and laughing like a maniac.

And.... I don't think I'm a good Pyro, cover or not... I can't get anything to work consistently, I've died so many times as a Pyro. Pretty sure I only have 1-2 deaths in total of the other two classes, discounting when I thought I was pausing the game and I wasn't :P . I think it feels like Pyro is the squishy mage dps and you need someone in front of you to tank things.

Pyro feels like it's definitely the most hit & run of the classes (even though they technically labeled Trickster to be that). Its heals are primarily tied to its melee and cooldowns, so you're either dodging and weaving to land a melee or to minimize damage during your cooldown window.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    My thoughts including a couple things maybe people don't know:
    • Your melee does stuff! Freeze things with Techie, Burn things with Pyro.
    • If you are sprinting when you melee, you do an AOE slam
    • There is an "auto-loot" button that picks up everything on the ground. This can save a ton of time running or grab loot when you're going to die (you get to keep the loot) but:
    • There's a setting for what rarity of items it will pick up when you do it. Change this to white or green to make your looting life easier.
    • Accolades give you cosmetic rewards (banners, future vehicles?, emotes) that you have to claim - these are shared between characters
    • Unlocking world tiers also gives you rewards you have to claim - I would suggest just saving these for now, but they're small boosts anyway
    • Pyro definitely has more work required to stay alive than other classes. Use the above melee tips (if everyone is burning from your aoe slam, they all give you health when they die), and save your interrupt/leach skill until you're hurt and need the health
    • Bullet skills auto-reload your weapon (thanks whoever mentioned this above, I didn't know this)
    • Dismantling items with mods "unlocks" that mod for use in crafting - you may not notice this because crafting isn't in the game yet. If there's a little "4-square" icon in the top right of a mod description, that means you already have it unlocked. If a mod description is red, it means that you're wearing that mod bonus already and it won't stack.
    • Vendor "sale" inventory refreshes hourly. They are also apparently the only place to get Purple gear, at least in the demo, so check them when you're in town.
    • I agree with all the discussion about cover. Hopefully they fix the key-recognition on PC so it actually works, but even then, you really just want to be killing things, not taking cover
    • The gear system is really good. Every slot can give you actual game-changing bonuses. When we get higher tier gear, rerolling, modding, crafting, it's gonna be amazing the builds you will be able to make.
    • Difficulty seems... weak. I mean I die, sure, but we'll have to see how the scaling goes in higher world tiers.
    • In multiplayer you get a free self revive and can revive each other - even if there's no loot bonus or anything, this is a huge incentive to play with 3
    • As mentioned, choosing any story point resets all chests. Choose the 3rd if you want to farm the demo, then you can run backward to 5 chests, kill the boss, teleport to do the captain side-quest, repeat other sidequests, or a mix of these

And things I don't know that I'm wondering if anyone does:
    How does interrupt diminishing returns actually work? Any advice on interrupts? I found that some classes have much better, instant, interrupts. Techie's can take so long to throw and activate that you miss the window. Also, sometimes it seems like a captain/boss will become immune after just 2 interrupts, and sometimes I feel like I can chain-freeze them until they die. I can't quite figure if it's different sources having different DR cooldowns or what.

What do all the status effects do? Ash? Weaken? Toxic? etc - REAL EDIT OMG, the game has an in-game guide with actual good information about this and tons of other stuff. It's amazing.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Pyro feels like they really need to always be popping their bomb, it's got a huge range and does massive damage. Also the bomb is a finisher, I kept getting into trouble leading with it and then have the mob duck behind cover before I could kill them.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Outriders is a mature game for serious people.

https://youtu.be/hn_OdTxetl4

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Today is March 1st.

I want it to be April 1st.

:(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Technodude seems kind of boring, but also has high survivability, or is at least good for solo play through the demo.

I don't think I ever dropped to half health, and I forgot to put on any new armour until after the boss.

Mostly the boss and the side quest boss were trivial because they can be frozen, which helps with the not taking damage part.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My class guide:

Playing solo
    Do you want to shoot people with guns and you don't like sparkly effects? Technomancer.
    Otherwise go Trickster and stab your way to happiness.

Duos
    Top tier- Trickster/Devastator. Devastator starts killing from the front, Trickster goes to the back, meet in the middle in a glorious melee of murder everything.
    Next tier- Trickster/Devastator as one partner tanking, with the other player as Technomancer supporting from range especially if you spec into the ability to heal your teammate with toxic bullets.

Trios
    Top tier-Trickster and Devastator as above supported by Technomancer for A+ killing.
    Next tier- Swap either tank role to Pyro, pyro is the flex player with no defined role but going around being ridiculous.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Woof, I was trying to see if they had made any official statements about the shakycam thing and holy goddamn this game has the most toxic steam discussion board i've ever seen. What the heck is bringing all the chuds out of the woodwork for this game of all things?

At least the feature does seem to be universally panned so maybe there'll be some changes made.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Woof, I was trying to see if they had made any official statements about the shakycam thing and holy goddamn this game has the most toxic steam discussion board i've ever seen. What the heck is bringing all the chuds out of the woodwork for this game of all things?

At least the feature does seem to be universally panned so maybe there'll be some changes made.

I don't think they've said anything specifically about the shaky cam, they have acknowledged the 30fps lock and say that's fixed in the full game. I doubt they'll be able to go through and fix the shaky cam, at least not before launch. Feels like maybe it was a conscious design choice, unfortunately, but like you said nobody likes that at all so maybe they'll go back and stabilize things. Fingers crossed.

And yeaaah, in my experience Steam forums tend to be less moderated and just let the toxicity flow. I stay as far away from them as possible for any newer releases. Surprisingly, the subreddit seems to be the fairly well moderated and less toxic, or at least the worst posts aren't making it to the top which is good. Though maybe that's why the worst people are flocking to the Steam forum where they can get away with being so terrible.

• Options
    I bet it was a design choice, just because I think the director of the cutscenes overall isn't the best :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    My problem with cover is more that mantling over it seems to sometimes not work, and I don't know why.

• Options
    The only time I've had mantling not work is when there's a height disparity.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My problem with cover is more that mantling over it seems to sometimes not work, and I don't know why.

Because there is a bit of a button madness going on here. When you want to mantle and you aren't in cover you hit b, if you are in cover you have to like look to other cover and hit a. Its madness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Played through this twice with a friend as different classes. Both agree that we'll need to see full reviews to see if encounters get more interesting/varied further in, otherwise it's a 'buy it later when it's <$20 to play through once with friends' sorta game. Since it looks like there are monsters and cool environments further ahead, that doesn't seem unlikely, at least.

Had multiple occasions where I was shot right through cover as if it weren't there, 100% certain they didn't have a line on me but I was getting chewed up by gunfire anyway. So that's not ideal. And other problems in general interacting with cover, i.e. not ducking down until I adjust my angle several times, not jumping over, etc.

I do enjoy how much the Jennifer Hale MC reminds me of some combination of (not-uber-racist-or-cartoon-evil-choices) Renegade Shepard and Laura Bailey Boss from SR3/4.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    oh i mean the game also locks ur inputs at random times with certain button combos

the input handler in the game is fucking bizarre

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Is anyone else missing one of the journal entries? Because I'm at 11/12 and it's driving me nuts.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Is anyone else missing one of the journal entries? Because I'm at 11/12 and it's driving me nuts.

Yeah, same. I scoured the landscape at every story point, but I can't find the damn thing. I feel like we'll need to progress the story before it'll appear.

• Options
    Yes, it's probably related to leaving the area