As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Facebook Sucks; Should Anything Like it Even Exist?

13»

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I constantly get videos in my timeline by The Dodo which is a page that posts uplifting animal videos. I've never liked or followed it but it still shows me them, and hey I watch every single fucking one, like that is probably how I spend the majority of my time on Facebook

The only thing I can figure here is that, regardless of whether you click on the post and go to the page or even turn the sound on (which is why all of those videos are annotated) Facebook tracks like, minutes played. So if you're scrolling and the video autoplays and you stop to watch the baby hippo being best friends with the baby leopard or whatever it clocks the amount of time you watch until you scroll away.

Which is why all I see anymore is videos of animals being friends with things because I am a goddamned sucker. Could be worse I guess?

Yeah I assume that's it. I never click on them or unmute them but they stop me scrolling.

Honestly in these times regular videos about abandoned dogs finding loving homes is sometimes all that keeps you going.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what strikes me about facebook is how crappy the interface is despite it being the biggest website in the world

it is my suspicion that marketing needs have destroyed its usability because it is objectively worse than it was ten years ago

While this feels accurate, as someone who has used the ad side and the pages side of Facebook for our small business, the UI is extremely bad and frustrating to work with

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It could also be one of those situations where, when you're the biggest, most untouchable player in the game that everybody is gonna use regardless, the actual incentive to innovate and provide a slick experience just isn't there.

Like Wacom tablets are basically the only professional grade drawing tablets out there and despite increased competition from different brands they remain extremely expensive and have legacy issues that they just don't seem to care to fix. Because why should they? You're gonna use em anyway. Now shut up and give us money.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    It could also be one of those situations where, when you're the biggest, most untouchable player in the game that everybody is gonna use regardless, the actual incentive to innovate and provide a slick experience just isn't there.

Like Wacom tablets are basically the only professional grade drawing tablets out there and despite increased competition from different brands they remain extremely expensive and have legacy issues that they just don't seem to care to fix. Because why should they? You're gonna use em anyway. Now shut up and give us money.

*starts setting up Adobe effigy to burn and destroy in symbolic resistance*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Remember when Facebook purposefully showed a portion of its users overwhelmingly negative posts and videos to test the mental effects of that kind of content without their knowledge and consent?

And that's not even remotely close to top of the list of why we see them as evil

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I use Facebook almost exclusively for planning events, finding local concerts, and learning from various groups

So do I and probably most of us. We just don't think it should also be used for planning genocides while using it's vast resources to stifle innovation now that it's top dog in its field.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I agree with that 100%

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Despite also using fb for events I had to delete my account years ago because with addictive personality I'd waste tons of time scrolling that shit and checking it compulsively, and that was AFTER I had set literally everyone on my list to "hide from feed" except one friend. Who posts about once every couple years. Still was bad enough for me to just drop entirely.

I think breaking it's functions into more deliberate pieces would be a net good. Meetup.com ain't perfect but it works and meets the basic idea, similarly seems like you could run a clearing site for concerts. The issue is advertising has shifted everything to passive and incidental impressions and suggestion. People won't spend enough if you wait for them to want to go to a concert and look one up, you gotta slide into their eyeballs to convince them of it before they realize it's happening.

But I'm also being an old man yelling at clouds particular to my addled brain, that really prefers intentionality.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I have not used Facebook for a little more than a year now, realized that no one actually gave a fuck about each other in there, so I left. I still have it though because some stuff are tied to my account if I want to use the service and I am too lazy to go through the hassle of changing everything

My personal take from my experience with the system in the end is if I am not social in the first place, social media wouldn't really do anything to change my life I suppose

On a larger scale hate groups should not be given any platform period. As a non-westerner I think complete free speech is terrible and I don't understand why it's so important

Peas on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's interesting to think how the discussion in policy circles around regulating facebook et al is going to change as the pool of legislators begins to include more and more people for whom their primary association with it has been their boomer parents getting conspiracy theory brainworms

There's definitely something in the fact that it that's enabling the spread of that kind of stuff

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    It's interesting to think how the discussion in policy circles around regulating facebook et al is going to change as the pool of legislators begins to include more and more people for whom their primary association with it has been their boomer parents getting conspiracy theory brainworms

Who are these hypothetical people, exactly?

I heard a few years ago that supposedly Gen Z was using Facebook less, but following up on that recently it seems as if that's mostly because it's being offset by use of other services like Instagram (owned by Facebook as of now), Snapchat, and TikTok (plus Gen Z is actually using Facebook more than previously thought).