As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cuomo: Apparently, a synonym for “piece of shit sex pest”

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I guess we're going to learn if never apologizing or adnitting wrong whatsoever actually works for Dens as well.

We learned that ages ago form Northam in Virginia. It works for everyone. You just have to be willing to run the play.

The reason Cuomo would go down for this is because other scandals have created an opening and other political actors in the state are getting the knives out.

shryke on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I guess we're going to learn if never apologizing or adnitting wrong whatsoever actually works for Dens as well.

We learned that ages ago form Northam in Virginia. It works for everyone. You just have to be willing to run the play.

The reason Cuomo would go down for this is because other scandals have created an opening and other political actors in the state are getting the knives out.

Northam is an edge case for a few reasons.

- Democratic power in Virginia is way more tenuous then a lot of people here give it credit for and if they give up a seat the state GOP will stoop to any low to gerrymander the living fuck out of everything to hang in a little longer.

- Due to their laws he can't serve consecutive terms and wasn't going to cost them the election in 2021

Vs. Cuomo who:

- Has presidential ambitions

- Can be Governor for life

- Has actively colluded to keep the Republicans in power (And eventually lost) to defeat any more progressive agenda

- Would likely have cruised to reelection on the perception of a good Covid response

There's going to be way more knives out for Cuomo and a much bigger push to oust him now.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

- Democratic power in Virginia is way more tenuous then a lot of people here give it credit for and if they give up a seat the state GOP will stoop to any low to gerrymander the living fuck out of everything to hang in a little longer.

- Due to their laws he can't serve consecutive terms and wasn't going to cost them the election in 2021

Vs. Cuomo who:

- Has actively colluded to keep the Republicans in power (And eventually lost) to defeat any more progressive agenda

- Would likely have cruised to reelection on the perception of a good Covid response

There's going to be way more knives out for Cuomo and a much bigger push to oust him now.

Yeah, as I recall, the situation with Northam was that you could actively see the VA GOP looking to use the matter to get back into the governor's mansion, which changed the calculus quite a bit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Vs. Cuomo who:

Yeah, as I recall, the situation with Northam was that you could actively see the VA GOP looking to use the matter to get back into the governor's mansion, which changed the calculus quite a bit.

Basically 2021 being a mess in Virginia is a catastrophe that can fuck up local politics for 20 years and maybe cost us Presidential elections.

2022 being a mess in New York probably costs locals 4-8 years of needed progress but nothing will change on the Federal level and any Republican elected will be a one termer if they can't at least pretend to be bipartisan.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Marathon wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure no one would care if he was booted from office. I think he should resign today.

We did need to beat Trump no matter what. But Dems actually hold their politicians to something resembling a standard.

"Cuomo is a brave martyr that should be remembered by his sacrifice in *checks notes* hiding how many people died on nursing homes thanks to COVID".

Gross. No wonder that Twitter thread is filled with Cuomo-stans defending him. Once you start justifying the unjustifiable, it gets easier to keep doing it.

It’s great then that I neither said, nor believe the quoted section.

He did better in combating Covid than Trump, in that he actually cared to fight it. That’s true, despite Cuomo being otherwise terrible.

Honestly I thought he was one of a small count of US public officials to come out of it looking pretty good. (Hard not to look good given most of the states' abysmal policies though.) I know nothing else about him though..which is odd because I'm still not surprised sexual assault allegations were made against him.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    The biggest credit I'll give Cuomo for fighting COVID is besides at least trying to treat it like a problem is that the Trump administration directly fucked with New York and New Jersey when that meant that the countries most densely populated metro area and state not only had to fend for themselves but had opposition in their efforts.

Outcomes may have been much less dire but at this point we'll never know.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Vs. Cuomo who:

Also, weren't most of the transgressions by Northam from like his college days? And that his body of work after that, and the black community accepted his apology?

Or am I thinking of another Democrat who dressed in blackface?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2021
    NYSAG responds to Cuomo, rejecting the “independent” investigation proposal, telling the governor he can make a real referral for a real investigation. NYT

To clarify, I do not accept the governor’s proposal... While I have deep respect for Chief Judge DiFiore, I am the duly elected attorney general and it is my responsibility to carry out this task, per Executive Law. The governor must provide this referral so an independent investigation with subpoena power can be conducted.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    The only reason anyone thought Cuomo looked good handling the pandemic was simply because he wasn't Donald Trump.

He absolutely got the lowest of low bars.

And tripped over it.

And yet probably still looks like the perfect gentleman next to Trump.

I mean, Cuomo didn't trip. He's appears to have been a shittastic asshole for quite awhile now.

But overall I'm guessing that overall? He still looks like an angel next to Trump .

Whataboutist statements like that are the justification that Cuomo is using for hiding COVID deaths: "We had to beat Trump no matter what".

I mean, if that's what you think, cool. But then don't complain when Cuomo is still in charge and "both sides are the same" is on the increase.

I don't know how you managed to read that as a defense of Cuomo.

My point was that comparing him to Trump is absurd.

I don't have a horse in this race but what I think is that he should resign and then be prosecuted for anything he still can be.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Cuomo is an egomaniac like Trump but he isn't crazy and he doesn't have a cult. It's not at all unusual for politicians to have huge egos.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know it’s wrong to judge on appearance, but Cuomo always looked super smarmy. So when I heard about the allegations, I was like he definitely did it.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    [removed due to offense]

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You don’t even need to know what he looks like to know he’s an evil fuck.

He used prison slave labor to make New York’s hand sanitizer during the massive outbreak there. Oh sorry, excuse me, they were paid just over 60¢/hr. But at least he made sure that they didn’t get any sanitizer for themselves, because they might have gotten drunk on it somehow and momentarily forgotten about the living hell that is prison in NY.

• Options
    Prison labor happens all over the USA all the time. It's not something Cuomo invented.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The obvious reason Cuomo sucks is that when the commission he established to investigate corruption started investigating him he dissolved it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    shit, 60 cents an hour is more than most prison jobs pay. that's like grade 2 level, grade 1 is $144 a month

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Prison labor happens all over the USA all the time. It's not something Cuomo invented.

Not having invented it is not really an excuse for fucking those inmates in the middle of a deadly pandemic though

Trump didn’t invent concentration camps but I don’t see anybody here giving him a spirited defense for his use of them

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Honestly I don't think Coumo did very good with Covid at all. He made some huge mistakes early on, then finally did do something when it became apparent they had no choice not to shut down. His weekly briefings were occasionally good, but more often then not he used them as an excuse to talk up propaganda and politics for himself. I often hear them on the radio, and compared to my own governors briefings they are just complete trash. He always sounded like a dick to me, I hope his own party takes him out or nominates someone else.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think Coumo did very good with Covid at all. He made some huge mistakes early on, then finally did do something when it became apparent they had no choice not to shut down. His weekly briefings were occasionally good, but more often then not he used them as an excuse to talk up propaganda and politics for himself. I often hear them on the radio, and compared to my own governors briefings they are just complete trash. He always sounded like a dick to me, I hope his own party takes him out or nominates someone else.

I'm kind of confused by this kind of statement. Like, in a worldwide scale? Yup, NY fucked up compared to some non-US places. In a US wide scale I'm not sure who I would say handled it better. Cuomo's objectively bad choices were really early on when nobody knew anything. He pushed harder than most states on limits and actual restrictions. He actually managed to push down the initial surge in April and kept it down until November despite one of the initial hotspots being in NYC.

To be clear you can handle a pandemic better than most governors and still be a lecherous predator who should be removed from office. I believe he is both.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Look 60 cent an hour prison labor is a problem, especially during a pandemic. It’s so weird too. I have family who was locked up is a jail with 0 covid cases. Because it’s actually really easy to prevent it among inmates, if you give even the tinniest of shits, and a bit of prevention.

• Options
    The sad thing is that inmates really need vaccines because Covid spreads like wildfire in jails but because the public has no sympathy for them they are way down the list.

• Options
    giving it to the guards would be an efficient way of protecting them, since that's the only way it gets in

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    giving it to the guards would be an efficient way of protecting them, since that's the only way it gets in

Guards are definitely eligible now and I think they were in the first group but am not certain.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Jars wrote: »

No its not.

Guards, delivery people, visitors, legal representation, etc. Prisoners are sent for medical care and return to prison afterwards. They go to work on sites with other people and come back. They are transferred from prison to prison.

You need to vaccinate the at risk populations because you can't fully isolate them from the world and if you somehow could its maybe not torture bit definitely inhumane and torture-adjacent.

Also being vaccinated doesn't prevent you from being infected and spreading COVID so it can still get into prison populations.

It's literally the same argument of people being pissed that Irma and Blanche got their bingo nights back after a year of being confined to their rooms in a nursing home. Vaccinate the vulnerable populations first and foremost.

Edit - guards should be high on the list but it's not a replacement. Just like nursing home workers should be high on the list bit doesn't replace vaccinating the elderly.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    The sad thing is that inmates really need vaccines because Covid spreads like wildfire in jails but because the public has no sympathy for them they are way down the list.
    Which is madness, inmates can be made to segregate, can be easily quarantined for 2 weeks, can be tested. It is the easiest population to implement covid controls.

There is a cost, but it’s not a high cost.

• Options
    any inmates that do go out for something like medical are getting quarantined for 2 weeks so it's very unlikely to come in via anything but guards. there are no visits or in person legal meetings or anything like that last I knew

prisons are doing covid controls, but they don't help when the commissary cops don't wear masks because the prison is in pensyltucky and spread covid to the entire prison

• Options
    The outbreaks probably come from new prisoners as much as guards.

• Options
    The outbreaks probably come from new prisoners as much as guards.
    In both cases easily prevented.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Cuomo finally caved and referred his case for an independent inquiry.

He should just resign, IMO. Once other women that are rightly afraid to make public allegations are able to tell their story in private it’s just going to blow up more.

He’s probably used to getting away with shit though, so his behavior makes sense. Refer the case to a close political ally he has direct control over because it has worked for him in the past. I’m glad noise was being made about it this time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Totally wrong thread

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    AP brings Cuomo's defense:

So, going for the "play it down" defense. I said it before but: Gross.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I would have a lot more respect for him (meaning any whatsoever) if he would just own up to what he did, apologize, and resign.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Its early yet, but it looks like we are going to have to vote his ass out.

I did see a take comparing Cuomo and Covid to Giuliani and 9/11. Their authoritarian mindsets "worked" (or appeared to) during a crisis, but it falls apart once greater scrutiny is placed on their continued actions.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Cuomo cut Medicaid funding at the beginning of the pandemic (which was why the federal government was going to withhold funding) , and oversaw the closure of many hospitals in the years before. The nursing home issues were not the only things he did wrong with public health.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Third unwanted interaction.

More powerful than the story is the photo

Spoilered for huge size (and grossness)
    01nycuomo-accuser2-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Third unwanted interaction.

More powerful than the story is the photo

Spoilered for huge size
    01nycuomo-accuser2-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

That picture is... yikes.

• Options
    Like if I was being accused of sexual harassment and assault that is not a picture I would want to exist

It’s really stupid that this isn’t going to guarantee his resignation

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I mean I have seen many pictures and videos of Biden doing the same thing to clearly uncomfortable women, which was explained away as him being old timey and out of touch with regards to boundaries.

IIRC seven women put their names to an article about times he’d inappropriately touched them. One of which came out later as a rape allegation.

This is what happens when you give someone a pass on that, is that Cuomo is going to try and skate by on this.

Which to be clear, he should not. He should be resigning for being an abusive garbage person who used his position to harass women in positions under him.

It should be unacceptable at every level.

• Options
    TidusTidus Registered User new member
    Sad story.sexual harassment is not flirting. That really do harms to women .

• Options
    TidusTidus Registered User new member
    What do you mean by "shoe drop"?