As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cuomo: Apparently, a synonym for “piece of shit sex pest”

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Here's some polling information with the caveat that this was all taken before a bunch of prominent Democrats called for his resignation.
    In a survey of 805 registered New York State voters, 57 percent said they were satisfied with how Mr. Cuomo had addressed the allegations, while 32 percent said they were not. Fifty percent said he should not resign, while 35 percent said he should. Nearly half said they believed he could continue to do his job effectively as governor, with 34 percent saying he could not.

Even so, the governor’s favorability rating has plummeted to one of the lowest points of his decade-long tenure: Only 43 percent of voters said they had a favorable opinion of the governor, down from 56 percent last month.

(...)

A large number of voters, 60 percent of them, about the same as last month, said they approved of Mr. Cuomo’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, with a majority supporting how he has communicated, reopened the economy and rolled out the vaccine.

However, 66 percent said they did not approve of the way in which his administration had handled data related to nursing home deaths.

(...)

The poll showed Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, faces daunting opposition to a possible re-election bid next year: just 34 percent of voters said they would support such a campaign, while 52 percent said they would “prefer someone else.”

(...)

The poll leaned heavily in the direction of Democratic voters, mirroring the state’s electorate: 48 percent of respondents were Democrats, while just 21 percent were Republicans and 27 percent were independents. It had a margin of error of 4.1 percentage points.

I would be interested to see if there are shifts after the calls for his resignation. But beforehand, it appears that most people he represents were of the opinion that he should finish out his term and then be replaced.

I have to wonder how much of this is just people seeing Republicans have scandal after scandal and zero consequences because that party just shrugs its shoulders and says it doesn't matter. Nuts to that. I want our party to be better than that.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The problem is that replacing Cuomo involves on deciding on someone else, and that's just not something that seems to happen in New York. People are content to coast along with the devil they know.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If he stays in office hes going to stay in office. This "finish his term and leave" business is nonsense.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The problem is that replacing Cuomo involves on deciding on someone else, and that's just not something that seems to happen in New York. People are content to coast along with the devil they know.

I was under the impression that there is a line of succession?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yes, and NY has a recent history of this biting Democrats in the ass - look at what happened after Spitzer resigned. I don't agree with the sentiment and think that Cuomo needs to go, but I understand where it comes from.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

No, this is if we try and remove him at the ballot box. The voters of New York just seem happy enough to settle for Cuomo.

• Options

Yes, and NY has a recent history of this biting Democrats in the ass - look at what happened after Spitzer resigned. I don't agree with the sentiment and think that Cuomo needs to go, but I understand where it comes from.

Cuomo's successor is right-wing verging on Republican, so it's not too crazy. Cuomo is an asshole but has no love for Republicans.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular

Cuomo's successor is right-wing verging on Republican, so it's not too crazy. Cuomo is an asshole but has no love for Republicans.

Cuomo has a lot of love for Republicans! He orchestrated a plan to keep the state senate controlled by Republicans even though there was a Democratic majority! He was best buds with Chris Christie etc etc.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah Cuomo is an aristocrat with aristocrat friends who runs as a D out of family tradition and political expedience only

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Bit of a bump, but New York AG Lelita James has a conference going on now.

Started off with finding that Gov. Cuomo violated state and federal law. Started literally two minutes ago.

https://ag.ny.gov/livestream

EDIT: For some more information, it has been found that Gov. Cuomo engaged in unlawful sexual harassment, toxic work environment, retaliation...

EDIT EDIT:

And they just released the report:

Independent Investigators Find Governor Cuomo Sexually Harassed Multiple Women, Violated State and Federal Laws

NEW YORK – The independent investigators appointed by New York Attorney General Letitia James — led by Joon H. Kim and Anne L. Clark — today released their report into the multiple allegations of sexual harassment by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. After nearly five months, the investigators concluded that Governor Cuomo did sexually harass multiple women — including former and current state employees — by engaging in unwanted groping, kissing, and hugging, and making inappropriate comments. Further, the governor and his senior staff took actions to retaliate against at least one former employee for coming forward with her story. Finally, the Executive Chamber fostered a “toxic” workplace that enabled “harassment to occur and created a hostile work environment.” The investigators find that Governor Cuomo’s actions and those of the Executive Chamber violated multiple state and federal laws, as well as the Executive Chamber’s own written policies.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Good. Fuck that guy.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So he’s gonna retire now, right? …right?

I hate this new reality where shame is dead and if you just refuse to leave there are zero consequences for your fucking gross actions.

Say what you will about Al Franken, at least he had the decency to say “I did something wrong and don’t deserve to represent people anymore”.

• Options
    He's probably gonna try to serve out his term, but I think the Assembly's gonna have to move for an impeachment at this point.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The report doesn't have anything worse than we already knew about. I think we'll have a good idea in a week or so if there'll be any political consequences for Cuomo, but I don't think we should assume impeachment is a slam dunk.

On one hand, the Assembly and Senate were close to having the numbers for removal when women first started going public. On the other hand, if a Cuomo ally is willing to stand by him when there's multiple credible accusations of sexual harassment, do we really expect them to leave just because James reported that there were multiple instances of sexual harassment? There is a difference in the two situations, but I'm not sure that difference will be compelling to the people who actually matter.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The report doesn't have anything worse than we already knew about. I think we'll have a good idea in a week or so if there'll be any political consequences for Cuomo, but I don't think we should assume impeachment is a slam dunk.

On one hand, the Assembly and Senate were close to having the numbers for removal when women first started going public. On the other hand, if a Cuomo ally is willing to stand by him when there's multiple credible accusations of sexual harassment, do we really expect them to leave just because James reported that there were multiple instances of sexual harassment? There is a difference in the two situations, but I'm not sure that difference will be compelling to the people who actually matter.

It might not be a slam dunk, but it does have the ability to put focus on those legislators who don't deserve to be there.

Given the political makeup of New York, any Democrat who doesn't vote to remove will need to at least face hard questions, if not a primary challenger.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    #Cuomo is trending with Gaetz and Kavanaugh.

Truly in good company there.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see Cuomo out over this, but I'm not optimistic that people will go against his machine. He kept the IDC going for years, and gave Republicans control of the legislature with no consequences.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wonder if that book deal of his is going to be rescinded...

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Cuomo issued a rebuttal and it's so embarrassing. About a quarter of it is just politicians (including himself) hugging or having intimate moments with people.

His argument is literally: one time Obama whispered sweet nothings in Angela Merkel's ear and nobody complained about that. Therefore Cuomo is innocent of all wrongdoing.

Imagine thinking that will convince anyone who isn't already in your pocket.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2021-08/8.3.21_Position_Statement_of_Governor_Cuomo.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0BDOCmuiytPuKclzo6wDCck3WB51oyOizaXb5rj4tsavZIGE15dDXS9gQ

• Options
    Biden has called on Cuomo to resign.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

so have the two NY senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) and Pelosi, along with some additional state-level politicans

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/03/politics/andrew-cuomo-democrats-reaction-report/index.html

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Cuomo issued a rebuttal and it's so embarrassing. About a quarter of it is just politicians (including himself) hugging or having intimate moments with people.

His argument is literally: one time Obama whispered sweet nothings in Angela Merkel's ear and nobody complained about that. Therefore Cuomo is innocent of all wrongdoing.

Imagine thinking that will convince anyone who isn't already in your pocket.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2021-08/8.3.21_Position_Statement_of_Governor_Cuomo.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0BDOCmuiytPuKclzo6wDCck3WB51oyOizaXb5rj4tsavZIGE15dDXS9gQ

The Cuomo's all ooze this sort of entitlement and I don't doubt for a second that they think of themselves as the New York Kennedy's and that ultimately one of them is going to end up in the white house- guess it won't be Andy.

Fake edit: Just checked Wikipedia and of course his wife is a Kennedy, Jesus Christ

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I mean he literally said before when asked in march he should if the investigation came back like this, it did and he said to do it. Promise made, promise kept.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Is there like, some sort of reason why he can't just be arrested?

Are these past statute of limitations or something?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Possibly some sort of sovereign immunity.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would imagine because they're civil violations and not criminal.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'd like to see Cuomo out over this, but I'm not optimistic that people will go against his machine. He kept the IDC going for years, and gave Republicans control of the legislature with no consequences.

I mean, that was almost a decade ago and all the IDC fuckers are no longer in office. I'm not sure he's gone but it is way different than if this happened a while ago.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    A part of me hopes that he stubbornly refuses to resign so that we can show that we are willing to impeach and drag him screaming from office.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    The knives are coming out one by one.

Andrew Solender is a reporter for Forbes.

The Democratic governors of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut & Rhode Island just put out a joint statement calling on Cuomo to resign:

a9juz4a4x0gp.jpg

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Specifically, unless the Attourney General is SPECIFICALLY given criminal jurisdiction by the Governor, she can't do shit.

AG James said repeatedly during the press conference that any other agencies with criminal jurisdiction over the allegations are welcome to press charges etc. but that the AG's office role in those investigations would be advisory at best, since the information is publicly available.

To quote AG James "We are content to let the chips fall as they may. The work of the Office of the Attourney General is over."

EDIT: There was a mention of the Albany Police Department having jurisdiction over a certain allegation but it'd be up for the Albany PD and the Albany County DA to investigate/press charges.

EDIT EDIT: Also the Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the New York State Assembly and are also VERY progressive, and have indicated a willingness to simply override the Governor on shit they want to have happen.

It is difficult to overstate the size of the shits the Legislative Branch does not give about the Executive.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

Specifically, unless the Attourney General is SPECIFICALLY given criminal jurisdiction by the Governor, she can't do shit.

AG James said repeatedly during the press conference that any other agencies with criminal jurisdiction over the allegations are welcome to press charges etc. but that the AG's office role in those investigations would be advisory at best, since the information is publicly available.

To quote AG James "We are content to let the chips fall as they may. The work of the Office of the Attourney General is over."

EDIT: There was a mention of the Albany Police Department having jurisdiction over a certain allegation but it'd be up for the Albany PD and the Albany County DA to investigate/press charges.

EDIT EDIT: Also the Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the New York State Assembly and are also VERY progressive, and have indicated a willingness to simply override the Governor on shit they want to have happen.

It is difficult to overstate the size of the shits the Legislative Branch does not give about the Executive.

Yeah, this shit needs to die in a fire, yesterday.

No person is above the law. Unless they're an executive, and literally control the people that enforce it.

I mean, you'ld want some safeguards, to protect a Governor/President from a shitty Attorney General, but fuck me, both federal AND a large state executive having this exact same crap evasion in the space of a year?

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

No person is above the law. Unless they're an executive, and literally control the people that enforce it.

I mean, you'ld want some safeguards, to protect a Governor/President from a shitty Attorney General, but fuck me, both federal AND a large state executive having this exact same crap evasion in the space of a year?

That's why they dumped the information publicly and into the laps of the agencies who have jurisdiction over it-- and specifically called out one of those agencies. Like-- that's how this was always going to end up.

The alternative of "Fuck jurisdictions, agencies do what they want" goes to some VERY bad places VERY fast. I for one would not want ICE to start pulling random people over to enforce traffic law, especially since I have Border Patrol and ICD vehicles pass me on the highway on the daily since I am in the Buffalo area.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

That's why they dumped the information publicly and into the laps of the agencies who have jurisdiction over it-- and specifically called out one of those agencies. Like-- that's how this was always going to end up.

The alternative of "Fuck jurisdictions, agencies do what they want" goes to some VERY bad places VERY fast. I for one would not want ICE to start pulling random people over to enforce traffic law, especially since I have Border Patrol and ICD vehicles pass me on the highway on the daily since I am in the Buffalo area.

Was thinking more that in a case where the Executive was the accused, the Executive is required to refuse, then either the next in line (vice pres/lt gov), the leader of the legislature, the leader of the courts, or some combination thereof, takes on the specific authority to approve the procedure that in this case, AG James was not able to secure.

Sure, it still opens up fuckery (an AG being complicit with whoever has the authority), but it requires a lot more people being corrupt than just a single Executive being above the law.

• Options
    But that's literally the point.

The Executive is not above the law. This specific Executive office cannot bring criminal charges because, under the law, that is not a thing they are empowered to do. They are not above the law in that they can just dole out legal penalties willy nilly.

So instead they gave the info to those who ARE able to bring charges against the Governor.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I would imagine because they're civil violations and not criminal.

There are assault accusations detailed in the report that are considered credible.

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo reached under his executive assistant’s blouse and cupped her breast, she told investigators. On another occasion, he asked to take a selfie with her — then grabbed her butt cheek and began to rub it. He made sexualized comments (“If you were single, the things I would do to you”) and demanded hugs, “pushing my body against his,” when she left the governor’s mansion.

Many sexual assault allegations end up in civil court thanks to our criminal justice system being garbage, but Cuomo has been accused of criminal assault.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Caught a peak of Fox at the deli, and they're going hard on this.

While remaining mum about Gaetz, Cawthorn, and Trump.

Did I miss anyone? I'm sure I did.

Edit- Kavanaugh! How could I forget "Beer Tears Brett"?!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    NYT Editorial Board calling for Cuomo to resign.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

“See! Democrats have gross people too!”

Yeah but when we find out about it we are just as outraged about the behavior as we are when it’s Republicans. It’s called having principles beyond the acquisition and implementation of power.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Yeah but when we find out about it we are just as outraged about the behavior as we are when it’s Republicans. It’s called having principles beyond the acquisition and implementation of power.

Well, moreso than Republicans, at any rate.

Plenty of people willing to handwave away their guy's mistakes.

If I wanted to be extremely cynical, I'd say most (not all, of course) of the difference comes down to the greater fragmentation of Democrats rather than Democrats being willing to see justice done against allies.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Well, moreso than Republicans, at any rate.

Plenty of people willing to handwave away their guy's mistakes.

If I wanted to be extremely cynical, I'd say most (not all, of course) of the difference comes down to the greater fragmentation of Democrats rather than Democrats being willing to see justice done against allies.

Aren't the subfactions (and sub-subfactions) overall a healthy thing for a party? Sure, Republicans move in lockstep, but right now they're marching lockstep off the cliff.

There were (and are) still disagreements about Franken's situation and resignation, (and Tara Reade as well, not to pull of the band-aid), but I would prefer those disagreements to the Fox zombie hivemind in the GOP.