As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Loop Hero] A Roguelike Deckbuilder hybrid, that asks the tough question:

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
Let's discuss Loop Hero!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page

[Loop Hero] A Roguelike Deckbuilder hybrid, that asks the tough question: 73 votes

Evasion
30%
Kai_SanGarthorakajaybayCantidoDarkewolfeTychoCelchuuuStabbity StyleAsh-HousewaresBurtletoySpawnbrokerSteel AngelDark_SideBeastehLokarnjoshofalltradesDisruptedCapitalistazith28VikingDuke 2.0Lucid_Seraph 22 votes
Counter
13%
Houk the Namebringervegeta_666RingoMadpoetArtereiscncaudataEtiowsaMr FuzzbuttNipsDr. Flamingo 10 votes
Defense
5%
Kane Red RobeTeriferinHedgethornMcMoogle 4 votes
Vampirism
50%
The DeliveratorMojo_Jojosee317SanderJKBahamutZEROZekSageinaRageSatanIsMyMotorMaddocTehSpectreAiouaAegisTofystedethHefflingstopgapJubal77BloodySlothCorriganXMrVyngaardcardboard delusions 37 votes

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    The correct answer is actually regeneration

I ate an engineer
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    I wish there were mouseover tips for resources in the building interface. It has them in your inventory, but not there.

Some of the more obscure resources
    Metamorphosis or something, you get pieces when a meadow is placed adjacent to anything else or vice versa. Once per meadow.
    Memory, you get by having enough tile cards in your hand that old ones cycle out.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Evasion
    I wish there were mouseover tips for resources in the building interface. It has them in your inventory, but not there.

Metamorphosis or something, you get pieces a meadow is placed adjacent to anything else or vice versa.
    Memory, you get by having enough tile cards in your hand that old ones cycle out.

Interesting
    I'm almost always throwing down everything I get immediately so far, so would have missed that.
    To be honest I always go for the vampirism, but the most actual success I've had is high stacks of evasion.

akajaybay on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    akajaybay wrote: »

Metamorphosis or something, you get pieces a meadow is placed adjacent to anything else or vice versa.

Interesting
    I'm almost always throwing down everything I get immediately so far, so would have missed that.
    To be honest I always go for the vampirism, but the most actual success I've had is high stacks of evasion.

My slightly more elaborate opinion is that youe goal is to sustain yourself. You need a baseline of regen and vampirism since you have almost no HP regen otherwise, but after that it's easier to avoid taking some damage than it is to boost your regen to tank through it.

I ate an engineer
    Vampirism
    akajaybay wrote: »

Interesting

Yeah I didn't learn that until way late in the demo. Like a couple loops before hitting the boss, which was like my 5th or 6th expedition.

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've literally never heard of this before this poll came up. Can we get more info on the game?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Counter

Metamorphosis or something, you get pieces when a meadow is placed adjacent to anything else or vice versa. Once per meadow.
    You can also get metal scraps by letting your inventory overflow.
    Counter is honestly seriously strong, it gets all the same stat bonuses as your normal attack, and there's a lvl up bonus that gives it innate healing, letting you forgo some vampirism for other stats. This game really surprised me. I thought it was a clicker for some reason and wrote it off, but then people started talking about it more and I was intrigued. Now to stop being poor so I can actually buy it...

Etiowsa on
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I've literally never heard of this before this poll came up. Can we get more info on the game?

It's half idle game, half deck builder, half roguelite.
    There's also a free demo on Steam, which does maintain progress if you switch to the full version.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    Basically the world has been ruined by some sort of cataclysm that nobody remembers and the world itself changes when people sleep.
    The gameplay is your character runs in a Loop of a road where enemies randomly spawn. When you meet them you auto fight them. Defeating enemies can give star boosting equipment or cards that you can use to place tiles on the map.
    Some tiles get placed outside the loop area, that do things like increase your hp or provide healing every day.
    Other tiles like cemeteries or spider cocoons spawn stronger enemies that drop better stuff.
    The tiles have a lot of interactions with each other, many of which are hidden and discovered through trial and error.

Eventually if you do enough loops a boss spawns to fight and do story stuff. Or you can retreat to your campfire to take earned resources (fewer if you retreat on a tile other than the campfire, or much fewer if you die). There you meet refugees who use your resources to build a village around your campfire as that and the resources you bring back are the only things that don't disappear for them every morning. That's how you unlock some new tile cards, classes, and other traits and features.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Vampirism+counter, at least early on.

I played the demo, and my first go got all the way to the "boss" of that loop without any real issues.

The finished game seems tougher, but that might be down to pure rng/luck.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Is there any reliable way to get more stable metal? It's the resource I seem most chronically short of.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Vampirism
    Iolo wrote: »
    Is there any reliable way to get more stable metal? It's the resource I seem most chronically short of.
    the only way i know offhand to get metal is you get fragments when items cycle out of your inventory because it's full.

steam_sig.png
    Vampirism
    Grislo wrote: »
    Vampirism+counter, at least early on.

I played the demo, and my first go got all the way to the "boss" of that loop without any real issues.

The finished game seems tougher, but that might be down to pure rng/luck.

you're the second person I've seen say that, and even after starting a new save with knowledge from finishing the demo I still only got to about 80% of the boss bar full before I had to retreat to camp.

steam_sig.png
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Counter
    Basically the world has been ruined by some sort of cataclysm that nobody remembers and the world itself changes when people sleep.
    The gameplay is your character runs in a Loop of a road where enemies randomly spawn. When you meet them you auto fight them. Defeating enemies can give star boosting equipment or cards that you can use to place tiles on the map.
    Some tiles get placed outside the loop area, that do things like increase your hp or provide healing every day.
    Other tiles like cemeteries or spider cocoons spawn stronger enemies that drop better stuff.
    The tiles have a lot of interactions with each other, many of which are hidden and discovered through trial and error.

Eventually if you do enough loops a boss spawns to fight and do story stuff. Or you can retreat to your campfire to take earned resources (fewer if you retreat on a tile other than the campfire, or much fewer if you die). There you meet refugees who use your resources to build a village around your campfire as that and the resources you bring back are the only things that don't disappear for them every morning. That's how you unlock some new tile cards, classes, and other traits and features.

The boss actually spawns after enough tiles are placed, rather than loop count.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Evasion
    That metamorphosis resource is from tiles changing. Early on you want a fair amount of food so place down those meadows.

The early tile interactions seem either easy to spot when it happens randomly, encouraged by the mechanics of the tiles, or hinted by dialogue. Pay attention to what the hero says after your first vampire encounter.

VRXwDW7.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Vampirism
    I went into this fairly blind and got the boss without any real upgrades on my 4th run, at the start of Loop 7, with 8/6/6/7 gear, but having enough Oblivions to take out all his palaces. It was close and relied on evade rolls.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm excited, yet worried to try this game out. Someone tell me not to play it. I just started Bravely Default 2! Think of the children!!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Counter
    I bought it on Steam, but the demo really made me want it on the Switch.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    Shadowfire wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37bO9vg8RY

It is a roguelite combo game. It has elements of several genres but in essence you autobattle your way into various other common paradigms. Base building. Map building via card system with interactions in it. And random loot drops to build your autobattler. It is pretty fun so far. More i have yet to uncover though lots more from the trailer.

Jubal77 on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    I played the demo of this and it looks fun. There are a fair amount of Youtubers that have plays of it online: Northernlion, Wanderbots, Retromation. The rogue-lite players basically.

I want to pick it up, but I am not currently purchasing new games.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The game looks cool.... but it also looks like the kind of game where it doesn't really tell you what things are and what to do, no/few tooltips, etc. I don't really feel like that type of game now, is that what it is?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    The game looks cool.... but it also looks like the kind of game where it doesn't really tell you what things are and what to do, no/few tooltips, etc. I don't really feel like that type of game now, is that what it is?

The bit I have played and watched other people play... there are some tooltips, but there is a lot it doesn't tell you or bring attention to.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Feriluce wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

The bit I have played and watched other people play... there are some tooltips, but there is a lot it doesn't tell you or bring attention to.

hmm, that's unfortunate. I just really don't feel mentally up to diving into something obscure right now. Ah well.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    this thread lacks screenshots!

na82a8xlmd8i.png

Pictured: moments before the boss spawned and I one-shot him with the "very small chance that increases based on missing health to do 1000 damage on an attack" skill for the rogue class.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This game is very good and really lets you have fun exploring the mechanics. It’s not too hard to grasp either, I just hope I can find a use for spider eggs!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Evasion
    Use for spider eggs: smacking down a buncha low health enemies every loop.
    The rogue doesn’t get loot drops, just a point per enemy slain for redeeming into loot. Killing a lotta spiders would be a good way to juice this if spiders didn’t murder you in act 2.

There is a compendium of things you can unlock that reveals later chapter monster abilities, and they are INCREDIBLY RUDE.

VRXwDW7.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, can somebody explain the, no pun intended here, game loop? I know you go around a track auto-attacking things and they drop cards or loot. The cards seem to be used to add more things to the board and the loot is armor/weapons. I'm assuming each card gives advantages and harder enemies to fight, thus bigger loot.

But what type of resources are you collecting? How do you get them? How long are the loops? What do you upgrade between loops?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Evasion
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm excited, yet worried to try this game out. Someone tell me not to play it. I just started Bravely Default 2! Think of the children!!

I regret to inform you the game has an Agnes style Unacceptable

Chances are low, but not zero, for having a mrgrgrgr

VRXwDW7.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I want this game on mobile :T

Uhhh but yeah it's pretty cool? I beat chapter 1 using 45% Vampirism so that was cool? Ch2 is kinda kicking my ass. Haven't unlocked much yet. Anyone have any general tips? Like tile placement that kinda thing. I know forming a 3x3 of rocks or mountains gives you a Peak which is real good... I know about Treasuries too.. I've been spreading out groves for better Blood Grove coverage, combining Vampire Houses with Battlefields (and overlapping Battlefields for Bloody Paths)...

Mostly I'm not sure about like, should I be stacking tiles like Cemetery Spider Nest etc next to each other or spread them out? What upgrades should I go for right away? What's the deal with Chrono Stones!! Are Goblin Camps worth keeping around or should I use Oblivion on them?

I think I'm also trying to find the right balance between not having enough tiles and having too many? I've definitely gotten overwhelmed by too many monsters before hm

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Vampirism
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, can somebody explain the, no pun intended here, game loop? I know you go around a track auto-attacking things and they drop cards or loot. The cards seem to be used to add more things to the board and the loot is armor/weapons. I'm assuming each card gives advantages and harder enemies to fight, thus bigger loot.

But what type of resources are you collecting? How do you get them? How long are the loops? What do you upgrade between loops?

I don't remember all the resources offhand but, they're roughly, Wood, Stone, Metal, Food, metamorphosis, memory, space, crafting.
    They're used for building and upgrading stuff at your campsite village, which gives you new cards, classes, and bonuses for your loop expeditions. Most resource collection is via fragments that become a full useable thing when you have enough.

Some of the resource collection is straightforward. You get stone fragments by placing mountain/rock tiles, or passing through a cemetery. Wood for passing through a grove, food for placing meadows or from your farm. Others are more esoteric.
    Metal you get from having a full inventory so new items cycle out. Similar with memory re: your tile cards.
    Metamorphosis you get any time a tile changes due to an interaction, like meadows being adjacent to a non meadow, or rocks combining into a mountain peak, or some of the changes that happen to your loop tiles.
    Space I think I got from the village upgrade via vampires.
    Crafting I got some but no idea how.

steam_sig.png
    Vampirism
    Dibby wrote: »
    I want this game on mobile :T

Uhhh but yeah it's pretty cool? I beat chapter 1 using 45% Vampirism so that was cool? Ch2 is kinda kicking my ass. Haven't unlocked much yet. Anyone have any general tips? Like tile placement that kinda thing. I know forming a 3x3 of rocks or mountains gives you a Peak which is real good... I know about Treasuries too.. I've been spreading out groves for better Blood Grove coverage, combining Vampire Houses with Battlefields (and overlapping Battlefields for Bloody Paths)...

Mostly I'm not sure about like, should I be stacking tiles like Cemetery Spider Nest etc next to each other or spread them out? What upgrades should I go for right away? What's the deal with Chrono Stones!! Are Goblin Camps worth keeping around or should I use Oblivion on them?

I think I'm also trying to find the right balance between not having enough tiles and having too many? I've definitely gotten overwhelmed by too many monsters before hm

Generally higher level enemies drop better loot, and I'm of unscientific opinion that fewer stronger enemies is better/safer than many weaker ones.

So I usually don't keep goblins around, their high numbers and evade makes them annoying.

Mountain peaks it seems you can only get one of, best to not put on the edge so you can get adjacency bonuses all the way around.

The clot monsters from blood paths are like even worse goblins, but, Blood groves on blood paths will eventually start spawning flesh golems who have hp and hit like trucks, but are slow and drop high level items.

steam_sig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Man, this game is really good at punishing overconfidence.

“Hey that run is going incredibly well and I’ve got a ton of stuff. I can totally take the Lich” and then he dunks your ass off.

I *am* quite glad I turned on the option that pauses the game when you get to the Campfire, to remind you that you *can* retreat with your goods.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Vampirism
    You can also hold click the retreat button to set it so it brings up the retreat menu next time you hit the campfire. Also it seems flesh golems aren't tied to blood paths? Maybe just blood groves but they have to eat a certain number of dudes? Not sure, i still can't consistently get them to show.

steam_sig.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I just had a flesh golem and no blood path, but did have a blood grove, so probably. I think it was on a ruin tile, though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Evasion
    I believe the blood grove spawns the flesh monster after so many creatures are consumed by the kill effect. Haven’t found any blood tile interactions with it. I think it also technically doesn’t consume things without the has a soul tag.

Some tactics handle different threats better/worse. This dynamic changes in later chapters with harsher monster abilities. Goblins are always awful to deal with.

VRXwDW7.png
    Vampirism
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I believe the blood grove spawns the flesh monster after so many creatures are consumed by the kill effect. Haven’t found any blood tile interactions with it. I think it also technically doesn’t consume things without the has a soul tag.

Some tactics handle different threats better/worse. This dynamic changes in later chapters with harsher monster abilities. Goblins are always awful to deal with.

I think the blood grove will consume anything. It's the battlefield which can't spawn a ghost without the has soul tag. Also ghosts have souls so you can get a ghost of a ghost (which is a different enemy). I've only seen it happen once though.
    Also yeah, goblins suck. I also dislike swamps. I'm not sure point of them. I used one enough to get the interaction then never again. I guess maybe if you somehow have a low healing build it can help with vampires? But in my experience it just makes things worse.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Swamps will reverse a vampire's healing, but that's an extremely situational use of that.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this, but seem to be spinning my wheels going nowhere. Felt brave enough to take on the Lich as I had a build where passive healing of various types was keeping me at max health, and he destroyed me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Vampirism/regen are mainly for offsetting trash, they are nearly worthless for the boss given the extreme damage they put out. For the bosses, your best recovery is just not getting hit in the first place. Evasion(warr/rogue) or stacking as many skeletons as possible(necro)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    "It is now friday night. Where did the last day and half go?"

Journal entry from the unwashed and weary eyed.