Options

[Loop Hero] A Roguelike Deckbuilder hybrid, that asks the tough question:

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    Passive health regen is very handy for the early game, it doesn't seem to scale nearly as well as vampirism in the late game. But that's fine because you can just change your gear whenever. I haven't had any luck against the boss with either one of them though, so maybe I should try more evasion.

I think this game could be a lot better about making it obvious how to optimize for different things. I don't really have a clue what factors in to getting my character the best possible gear which is obviously what matters most. Are harder monsters always better for loot, and is that worth the damage they're dealing to me? What does leveling up actually do? Is the boss easier or harder on later loops? All the secret combinations and hidden mechanics should be written somewhere inside the game.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Swamps slow you and they have a funny effect with deserts. You mostly use swamps to turn Vampire regeneration into damage against them.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Apparently I just needed to moan more and beat the Lich on the next run (finishing at 2am...). Luck of the card draw probably helps. I had tons of villages that run so with my healing covered I could concentrate on evasion and counter over regen and vampirism for my gear.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Got the third boss down. It’s fun, but I am really disappointed just how limited a lot of tile interactions are. There feels to me an optimal way of placing and stuff to use, which once found becomes the clear best.
    Vampire Mansion + Village, with a grove for a blood grove next to the village is just too optimal. If you can get two road lanterns overlapping it’s even better, because it makes the ghouls even less obnoxious.

Some stuff just never feels worth using, like graveyards, deserts, ruins (never build ruins) and others because they just don’t have any interesting interactions with other tiles. Other stuff is just too important, like forests and battlefields, because they help you keep up with later bosses etc. another thing is just how important oblivion is - never ever let rogues camps live on later runs. EVER. They must be sent to oblivion.

It’s fun, but the lack of tile interaction really starts to hugely let the game down once you start getting into it. There are a handful of overpowered combos but there just aren’t enough interesting tile interactions.

I really enjoy the game, but it feels like it could have been much more interesting.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    @Aegeri Given that discovering tile interactions through experimentation is a major part of the game, please spoiler that shit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Bought this last night from gog and I'm already hooked.

Question though, does it benefit me to not place things that spawn monsters? What is the benefit of doing so? I'm assuming for new gear? There doesn't seem to be any experience from beating them.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Question though, does it benefit me to not place things that spawn monsters? What is the benefit of doing so? I'm assuming for new gear? There doesn't seem to be any experience from beating them.

You'll build a camp structure that unlocks an experience bar.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    anoffday wrote: »

Try it for yourself, you can just loop around fighting slimes if you want. Trouble is slimes drop shit gear, and every loop the monsters get stronger. So you need to be finding better gear to keep up with them in strength. Also you get resources from walking through different tiles.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Aegeri Given that discovering tile interactions through experimentation is a major part of the game, please spoiler that shit.

Technically that's my entire point. There just aren't that many, despite what the game might promise. There are basically a couple that are really worth it and then a bunch that are more detrimental than they are actually useful. It's worth noting that only two of the things I've listed there is an actual meaningful interaction (actually changes the tile). Nothing else does. It's just an optimal way of doing things every time and it's a bit boring. Like I've edited it, but the biggest disappointment of Loop Hero (in Chapter 4 so far) is how little all the tiles interact in meaningful ways. I am literally every game doing the same thing and it's boring, but it's incredibly effective. If I get it set up early I can rofflestomp everything.

I've experimented with almost every tile type so far and outside of a handful of things, there is basically literally no point to wasting time/loop runs to bother. Pretty much just do this every loop:
    Vampire and Village to turn it into a wasted village. Then go and build a grove within range and a blood grove. If you can manage to put up a road lantern or two (to reduce the number of ghouls) then even better. Once you have this set up, it's really good once it turns into the better version of itself, gives tons of XP and quickly charges a thicc boi to spawn from the grove so you can get even better stuff. This is one of the very few transformation style things that's even remotely worth it. The earlier you do it, the better.

If there is any update to this game, I really want it to just give a bunch of interactions to things that either do absolutely shit all (Ruins) or are actively bad to use (Swamps).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Evasion
    I agree with the overall message, even if I disagree on some specifics.
    Lava worms from the ruins drop really good loot for how easy they are to take on. Just don’t let any fights happen next to them.

But yes, when you unlock the forest it’s stacking attack buff becomes your powerhouse. The rest is just making sure you are not overwhelmed. With deaths coming usually in the period before ghouls pay off I usually just go for plain villages with no wheat fields. At a point quest loot quality is lower than the drop rate for monsters so you want to be mashing chests/lava worms.

I feel like there should be more interactions between early and late game tiles? Meadows healing per day starts small and only gets less relevant. Mountains for hp is nice but this is a game of attrition. The %hp heals out there are not frequent enough or big enough to make juicing this stat better than maximizing offense. Eventually I’m just using forests and rivers. Deserts on rogue to better burst monsters down.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    My biggest improvement in play was learning to let go of wheat fields.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    What is the difference between skeleton level and summon quality?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    What is the difference between skeleton level and summon quality?

Skeleton level gives them more hp/damage

Skeleton quality summons different kinds of skeletons

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Push comes to shove prioritize skeleton level, underleveled skeletons are a run ender. Quality after that because you can get special skeletons.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I believe quality is the chance to spawn a non-basic skeleton? And level is just how buff they are. Level's definitely more important.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    level is important but those tank skeles are bomb.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    From a very early game perspective, necro is an easy run - I've never come close to dying, and necro will always take you to the first boss summon and let you choose to fight or retreat with your mats.

I also found that, outside of specific circumstances, the basic necro is going to have a rough time with a boss that decides to focus on him, 'cause he's squishy. Until his golden card, at which point he'll be your first boss win if that's the way you go. But, that also depends on your traits and various other things, so your mileage may vary, but you might find that your first necro run is really easy, and that the boss ends it faster than any other run.

His tendency to easily complete a run is a really safe way to get resources after the first boss (but the rogue is probably still an early game champ at metal).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I believe quality is the chance to spawn a non-basic skeleton? And level is just how buff they are. Level's definitely more important.

I think there are % breakpoints for when the different skeleton types spawn. I feel like I didn't get the Taunt dude until I had somewhere around 50% quality.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Evasion
    Aegeri wrote: »

I came in here to ask if they stack. Do you just mean it's not an efficient HP loop overall?

I haven't gotten to a point in the game yet where I need more road tiles.

Edit: Or...
    do they not apply to the vampire version?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I came in here to ask if they stack. Do you just mean it's not an efficient HP loop overall?

They have a big problem on the higher loops:
    The scarecrows are actually genuinely terrifying and do a lot of damage, have some strong - very annoying - abilities and are pretty dangerous. I honestly don't think the HP from the field is worth the damage the scarecrows can spank you with.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    The scarecrows are a good decent source of sticks though through those early to mid late loops that you can obliv off if need be.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Hweat field interaction
    If you place them next to the wood/forest village they become overgrown fields instead. In addition to the scarecrow, any empty enemy slots are occupied by wheat monsters. They are not only an excellent source of ration/living fabric/shapeless mass but at act 3+ they heal you at the end of battle based on your loop level(5xLoop HP)

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The way monsters gain new stats as you advance acts is really clever. Instead of just raw grind and HP/damage stat increases they become more interesting to fight. I wish more RPGs did this.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    My progress on this is massively slowed by always, always, biting off more than I can chew, attempting the boss and ending the run with death and loss of 70% of gathered resources.

In my defence it’s usually really close. Got the chapter 2 boss’ HP to literally one hit from defeat before I died last night. The quite high random factor with the defences of that boss can be frustrating.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Deck slots are also a cost to them. If you have a multi-card plan you are trying set up like blood groves then the fewer cards in your deck, the sooner you’ll get it set up.

What are people’s thoughts on treasuries? I’ve dropped them for now as with flesh golems, vampires and harpies I tend to feel my big monster needs are met and the gargoyles can tip things into unmanageable. And it’s not like the extra resources help this particular run and as mentioned before I always think this run is the one I’ll win.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Treasuries ironically become really useful by Act III/IV as Gargoyles penalize enemy attack speed. I don't really use them myself though, because all I do is stack attack speed or magic damage (whichever I feel like). Just got to loop 15 with the Necromancer and I'm a bit disappointed the game doesn't do anything when you cover literally every tile possible with something.

• Options
    Chapter II boss down! Can you go back and re-beat old bosses for more of the boss reward permanent upgrades?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chapter II boss down! Can you go back and re-beat old bosses for more of the boss reward permanent upgrades?

Yes, you can beat each previous boss up to three times and then you'll only get the option for an assortment of stuff.

Chapter IV so far feels like the first time the game has been genuine bullshit. It's probably pretty clear at this point I just need to grind upgrades to make it doable, but it doesn't make it feel any better TBH.

Edit: This chapter is just no fun. It's 100% decided by what traits the RNG gives you. If it gives you the right combination, you have a chance. Anything else and you're instantly fucked. It's just not fun at all and limits the build options even more than usual.

And this is from creaming Chapter III now to the point where I don't have to do much at all. Chapter IV, just due to the way it's set up, just feels 100% luck. Did you get the right trait lottery? Good for you! There is a chance! Did you not get that? Well too bad. Might as well have a failed run no matter what you did.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Evasion
    I think I have been playing wrong. I think I have been trying too hard to beat the boss (I beat the boss once on my second loop, probably through freak luck of drops, and have not since) and I don't do resource runs basically ever. I think this has led to me spending most of my game time not really progressing, it seems you need to grind out some resource runs as well probably and the "real" game is what you do once you have a lot unlocked?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Counter
    I hadn't spent much time with the Rogue, but I just did a run where I got really lucky with attack speed and crit chance rolls, so I was steamrolling mobs before they even had a chance to attack (I also had the extra equip slot card, and Rogue gets magic armor, so I didn't have to worry as much about health). Took down the chapter 1 boss with pretty much no problem after coming super close a few times with the Warrior. I'm normally pretty bad at games like this so we'll see how chapter 2 treats me...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism
    Think my newest record with deserts is having -43% hp now to all creatures.

I thought I liked Rogue, but I'm liking warrior more especially with the:
    Arsenal to give me a hat slot for retaliation.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Vampirism

Yes, you can beat each previous boss up to three times and then you'll only get the option for an assortment of stuff.
    Wait, the rewards from beating the boss are permanent upgrades? Not just upgrades for that run if you continue running after the boss?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wait, the rewards from beating the boss are permanent upgrades? Not just upgrades for that run if you continue running after the boss?

It seems neither of those things! I think they become unlocked as level up options for future runs. This game really does err too far on obscuring its mechanics some times.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Vampirism
    I'd really like to be able to control potion uses.

You really don't need to to use a potion or two against a gargoyle, game, when I have 10 hp/s life regen and I'm about to hit 3 villages.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2021

You are able to pick them in future runs, yes.

Some of them I have regretted, because they pollute the pool and aren't very useful. This is really biting me in the ass in Act IV, where getting the appropriate traits determine if you wasted time clicking the "go on expedition" button or not. This has so far been the least fun part of the entire game.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    If anyone is like me and enjoys the game, but feels like you walk too goddamned slow, I would recommend Cheat Engine. The speedhack buttons works great, no crashes, and playing at 10x makes it feel much more tolerable.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Counter
    Does that only affect the walk speed or the battles too? Not that you really do anything in battle, but they can be fun to watch

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    Ran through some loops over the weekend and got the first boss down. It’s pretty fun and experimenting with certain land combos makes for some interesting stuff.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Vampirism
    I finally managed to get a PS5 on Friday.
    After the weekend I've put 3 hours into Miles Morales and 11 hours into Loop Hero. Oops!

• Options
    Evasion
    Is there actually a way to play this as an idler? I've generally felt like I needed to interact with it pretty much constantly to spend cards and equip new gear.