As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    "How would you define a game?” the judge asks Sweeney.

“A game involves some kind of win or loss or progression, whether it’s an individual or a social group.” A game builds up to some kind of “outcome” or something quantifiable like a score.
    Well, that suddenly makes a fair amount of games not games.

Also might make movies games.

Also doing homework.

Also preparing taxes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Epic: What Apple is doing is bad because it doesn't let us get as much impulse purchases as we could
    Epic’s lawyer notes that buying V-Bucks through the website is inconvenient. Judge jumps in, asks if Fortnite’s userbase is mostly young. “Isn’t that a responsible way to deal with a young client base? Why should we want them to have the ability to just on impulse buy something?”

“What you’re really asking for is the ability to have impulse purchases,” judge says.

Sweeney. “Yeah. Customer convenience is a [paraphrasing lightly from memory: huge factor for us].”
    haha, fuck them

Couscous on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Not that it's surprising that all the "it's for the good of all devs! it's for the good of GAMERS!" talk evaporated the moment Sweeney was actually in front of a judge, but god what a fuckin' slimeball.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Kupi wrote: »
    I only looked up 2 things in Outer Wilds to get me past stuff
    Getting into Giant's Deep core. I tried getting out of my ship, I tried using a jellyfish, but I didn't think to try getting out of my ship and using a jellyfish.

And then right at the end I had to look up how to do the coordinates for the Vessel because I did the whole thing once and couldn't get it to work, and the race from Ash Twin to the Vessel was liable to give me a god damn stroke if I had to do it too many times. I just didn't realise didn't have to trace the coordinates on the lines on the console.

There were a lot of things I was stuck on for a long time until suddenly I wasn't, and with hindsight the solution was so obvious, and often the game had already told me how to do it several times I just hadn't picked up on the clues.
    Now that you have the context for it, here's how I wound up in my terminal rage spiral at the ending:

Ultimately, it has to do with winding up in the worst possible position in a video game, which is having a solution that works, but only barely. I understood that the anglerfish were blind and hunted by sound-- so I knew that I had to use my thrusters on the lowest possible setting. And that you could dive past the three at the front of the egg chamber with momentum. But that was all I understood. So it was basically "identify target pod, press trigger on control at absolute bare minimum, pray for good results". That had worked for me the three or four times I needed to use it before, and in fact on my first second attempt, I actually got to the Vessel with the warp core in hand.

And I'd completely forgotten (or never realized, since I'd only ever been to the Vessel once) that every time you transition into a special Bramble node, you enter at the same angle relative to everything else. I had previously struggled to find the way into the Vessel (straight ahead), so again I wound up hunting for the door with the clock running. And when I finally found the entry? The super stupidly obvious entryway straight ahead from the entrance? The sun exploded at that exact moment.

And then I spent three hours trying to get back into the Vessel node and generally dying before even getting to the egg chamber. Knowing that I'd already done it, knowing that nothing but my own stupidity was blocking me from the ending. And eventually I just snapped.

Things I should have learned before then that make that sequence so fucking much easier:

- Your ship has a list of known (previously visited) locations. You can set one of these locations as your target and it will put a marker on it; this even navigates the Bramble for you. You don't have to go to the escape pod first, you can just get a tracker straight to the Vessel.
    - Jesus fucking Christ Kupi you goddamned shitbrain, they drill into you from the start of the game "if you think something dangerous is out there, shoot your Scout at it". One or more of those glowing lights in the Bramble is an anglerfish. Shoot your Scout at all of them and you can find out which one it is. They don't fucking move.
    - The children's game doesn't just tell you about how the anglerfish are blind, they also spell out an avoidance strategy of staying to the walls. If you fly through the center of the Bramble you basically guarantee that you're going to overlaps with its detection radius; if you stay near the walls your sound-sphere covers less of the node.

Here, cleanse your pallet of my rage with some Twitch clips of chill streamer authorblues's playthrough:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicJoyousHeronPeteZarollTie-jtanD2k-SOKjAYz1

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaithfulBlazingHamsterPastaThat-4hq9ekt2L-8rBy-j

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenIncredulousThymeAllenHuhu-wfc9ISKYEMAtu1lH

https://clips.twitch.tv/CoweringDifferentCrabTebowing-3WPN1p2BhNnWTkuV

https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousBrightShinglePhilosoraptor-pYwKGEpRHWEmiWVJ

Incidentally, his first experience with the time loop involved the sun exploding directly after he'd found his first Nomai scroll and removed it from the wall, (like almost instantly cued the music), leading to him approaching the things with abject terror for quite some time until he finally realized (due to the incident on Dark Bramble seen above) that he was actually getting destroyed by an external force and not some kind of cosmic karma tracking him into buildings.
    I wonder if Dark Bramble has been patched to be more forgiving since the game came out, because the only angler deaths I had all game were on my very first visit when I didn't know what was up, and my first couple of attempts at the egg chamber on the Vessel run, until I figured out that I came through the entrance with enough momentum that I could just cruise past them. I actually got myself up out of the seat so I couldn't accidentally hit the gas and make noise, and then just waited until I couldn't hear them breathing, and then gently started driving again. Apart from those two instances I never even saw another fish.

That's a shame it ruined the ending for you. I got annoyed when I couldn't get the coordinates to work, just because I had so much adrenaline pumping through me after making my first attempt and for it to end with me fumbling about with the controls trying to figure out what I had done wrong was kind of anticlimactic. But all I had to do to fix that was find a screenshot online of what the first character was supposed to look like.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Microids
    @Microids_off
    Flashback 2 is in production and will launch in 2022 on consoles and PC. Stay tuned for more information.

sure, why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kzKG4-kxI

wow no respect at all for fade to black, huh?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Getting into Giant's Deep core. I tried getting out of my ship, I tried using a jellyfish, but I didn't think to try getting out of my ship and using a jellyfish.

And then right at the end I had to look up how to do the coordinates for the Vessel because I did the whole thing once and couldn't get it to work, and the race from Ash Twin to the Vessel was liable to give me a god damn stroke if I had to do it too many times. I just didn't realise didn't have to trace the coordinates on the lines on the console.

There were a lot of things I was stuck on for a long time until suddenly I wasn't, and with hindsight the solution was so obvious, and often the game had already told me how to do it several times I just hadn't picked up on the clues.
    Now that you have the context for it, here's how I wound up in my terminal rage spiral at the ending:

Ultimately, it has to do with winding up in the worst possible position in a video game, which is having a solution that works, but only barely. I understood that the anglerfish were blind and hunted by sound-- so I knew that I had to use my thrusters on the lowest possible setting. And that you could dive past the three at the front of the egg chamber with momentum. But that was all I understood. So it was basically "identify target pod, press trigger on control at absolute bare minimum, pray for good results". That had worked for me the three or four times I needed to use it before, and in fact on my first second attempt, I actually got to the Vessel with the warp core in hand.

And I'd completely forgotten (or never realized, since I'd only ever been to the Vessel once) that every time you transition into a special Bramble node, you enter at the same angle relative to everything else. I had previously struggled to find the way into the Vessel (straight ahead), so again I wound up hunting for the door with the clock running. And when I finally found the entry? The super stupidly obvious entryway straight ahead from the entrance? The sun exploded at that exact moment.

And then I spent three hours trying to get back into the Vessel node and generally dying before even getting to the egg chamber. Knowing that I'd already done it, knowing that nothing but my own stupidity was blocking me from the ending. And eventually I just snapped.

Things I should have learned before then that make that sequence so fucking much easier:

- Your ship has a list of known (previously visited) locations. You can set one of these locations as your target and it will put a marker on it; this even navigates the Bramble for you. You don't have to go to the escape pod first, you can just get a tracker straight to the Vessel.
    - Jesus fucking Christ Kupi you goddamned shitbrain, they drill into you from the start of the game "if you think something dangerous is out there, shoot your Scout at it". One or more of those glowing lights in the Bramble is an anglerfish. Shoot your Scout at all of them and you can find out which one it is. They don't fucking move.
    - The children's game doesn't just tell you about how the anglerfish are blind, they also spell out an avoidance strategy of staying to the walls. If you fly through the center of the Bramble you basically guarantee that you're going to overlaps with its detection radius; if you stay near the walls your sound-sphere covers less of the node.

Here, cleanse your pallet of my rage with some Twitch clips of chill streamer authorblues's playthrough:

Incidentally, his first experience with the time loop involved the sun exploding directly after he'd found his first Nomai scroll and removed it from the wall, (like almost instantly cued the music), leading to him approaching the things with abject terror for quite some time until he finally realized (due to the incident on Dark Bramble seen above) that he was actually getting destroyed by an external force and not some kind of cosmic karma tracking him into buildings.
    I wonder if Dark Bramble has been patched to be more forgiving since the game came out, because the only angler deaths I had all game were on my very first visit when I didn't know what was up, and my first couple of attempts at the egg chamber on the Vessel run, until I figured out that I came through the entrance with enough momentum that I could just cruise past them. I actually got myself up out of the seat so I couldn't accidentally hit the gas and make noise, and then just waited until I couldn't hear them breathing, and then gently started driving again. Apart from those two instances I never even saw another fish.

That's a shame it ruined the ending for you. I got annoyed when I couldn't get the coordinates to work, just because I had so much adrenaline pumping through me after making my first attempt and for it to end with me fumbling about with the controls trying to figure out what I had done wrong was kind of anticlimactic. But all I had to do to fix that was find a screenshot online of what the first character was supposed to look like.

On Dark Bramble
    Dark Bramble is super contentious. I played right at release and had no problems, other folks did. It's one of those things where the mechanics click or they DO NOT. Its like fishing in Stardew Valley. Same thing with the 3d movement of the ship in general. Its easier for some folks to internalize the movement systems and apply them, and tougher for others.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Not that it's surprising that all the "it's for the good of all devs! it's for the good of GAMERS!" talk evaporated the moment Sweeney was actually in front of a judge, but god what a fuckin' slimeball.
    I like the justification that Apple wasn't willing to negotiate
    Hmmm. Epic’s lawyer asks Sweeney, “If Apple told you the deal would only be with you and no other developers,” referencing a carve-out for lower App Store commission, “would you have accepted that deal?”

"Yes I would have,” Sweeney says.

Sounds like Epic’s lawyer is trying to get out ahead of Sweeney’s attempts to negotiate a unique App Store deal, similar to ones Amazon has made with Apple.

They’re doing so by arguing Apple was unwilling to negotiate, like a console maker would have been.
    I don't really get why willingness to negotiate is supposed to matter. Those console makers could have all negotiated and then just said no without ever really thinking they would accept changes if they wanted to. It also does no good for the huge number of other developers who have no hope of ever negotiating with Apple.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    all I'm getting from this is both apple and epic are shitty corporations

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    all I'm getting from this is both apple and epic are corporations

• Options
    All three happening at once makes me want to know if there is any big reason for it

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    All three happening at once makes me want to know if there is any big reason for it

acquisition by red media and a pandemic

• Options
    Rorie is also leaving

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Couscous on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

On Dark Bramble
    Dark Bramble is super contentious. I played right at release and had no problems, other folks did. It's one of those things where the mechanics click or they DO NOT. Its like fishing in Stardew Valley. Same thing with the 3d movement of the ship in general. Its easier for some folks to internalize the movement systems and apply them, and tougher for others.
    My natural behaviour on entering Dark Bramble was to move ridiculously slowly, just tiny taps of the thrusters and then coasting along. Because of the terror, you see. I suppose that probably worked in my favour.

As for flying the ship in general, I complained about it at the start but by the end I found it so much fun. Never did stop having random crashes though.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah a big part of the lead up to this from Epic has been that they're trying to make it a better ecosystem for everyone, so them going "Yes we would have been okay if they just gave us a special deal" is honest but also maybe undercuts a lot of what they were saying up to this point.

Maybe it doesn't actually matter, I dunno, this whole thing seems like a weird circus.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think the Epic/Apple lawsuit can support its own thread if we're just going to be livetweeting takes from it all day.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

On Dark Bramble
    My natural behaviour on entering Dark Bramble was to move ridiculously slowly, just tiny taps of the thrusters and then coasting along. Because of the terror, you see. I suppose that probably worked in my favour.

As for flying the ship in general, I complained about it at the start but by the end I found it so much fun. Never did stop having random crashes though.

Outer Wilds (end game)
    I found a reliable and repeatable method to get through the dark bramble pretty early on (ie just coasting until you're past the fish) so I never really had a problem with it if I wasn't being impatient

The big thing that almost derailed my playthrough was being too dumb to stand in the closet on ash twin to avoid getting suckes up by the storm before the teleporter to the ash twin project activated

Felt super silly when I had to look that one up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Microids
    @Microids_off
    Flashback 2 is in production and will launch in 2022 on consoles and PC. Stay tuned for more information.

sure, why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kzKG4-kxI

wow no respect at all for fade to black, huh?

good lord. Fade to black was my personal white buffalo when I was younger. I played the first flashback and just loved that game so much. Looking back at it the smooth animation style just seemed amazing. cut to reading about fade to black in some PC magazine, and trying to do research to see if my mother's work computer could handle the game, and scrounging the dept stores for a copy / or demo, or asking them to special order it and never being taken seriously.
    man, gaming seemed harder back then lol.

I hope its more of the sidescroller from the original.

• Options

Jason Schreier
    @jasonschreier
    ·
    3h
    NEWS: Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, director of The Witcher 3, has left CD Projekt following allegations of workplace bullying, Bloomberg has learned. An investigation found him "not guilty" but he quit and apologized to staff "for all the bad blood I have caused”
    Top Director Leaves Embattled Game Developer CD Projekt
    The director of the Witcher 3, the most successful video game for Polish publisher CD Projekt SA, resigned after facing workplace bullying allegations, which he denies.
    bloomberg.com

• Options
    edited May 2021
    That is kind of completely unsurprising given what we have heard about CDPR
    In the email to employees, Tomaszkiewicz said the decision was agreed upon with the company’s board. “I am going to continue working on myself,” he wrote. “Changing behavior is a long and arduous process, but I’m not giving up, and I hope to change.”
    So he will be back after a few months?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

On Dark Bramble

Outer Wilds (end game)
    I found a reliable and repeatable method to get through the dark bramble pretty early on (ie just coasting until you're past the fish) so I never really had a problem with it if I wasn't being impatient

The big thing that almost derailed my playthrough was being too dumb to stand in the closet on ash twin to avoid getting suckes up by the storm before the teleporter to the ash twin project activated

I watched the documentary about the game today and apparently getting to the Ash Twin Project definitely is something that got patched to be easier. I'm curious what exactly they changed, whether they just seeded more clues or actually changed the method at all.

It did take me a long time to get it, figured it out after my scout managed to get teleported instead of sucked up by the sand. I guess because of its sticky feet. But afterwards I realised I'd read a note somewhere about "anyone who steps onto a warp point will be instantly teleported" which was a clue that I didn't need to stand on it and wait. Like with a lot of the clues I only got what they were telling me after I'd already achieved the thing.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    "I am sorry for all the problems I've caused. To show just how sorry I am, I am going to take the millions I have earned off of our last forever-crunch game that flopped in the critical and public eye, and leave the company before we might have to take some kind of responsibility and make any kind of culture changes to avoid forever-crunch on our next game."

• Options
    j/k they're not going to take responsibility or make culture changes. For their next game, they're going to wring blood out of employees directly in attempts to recapture at least some of their former good will, and they're going to be wringing all day every day, including weekends.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Saying your sorry for all the problems you causes while also legally denying any wrongdoing is certainly a power move.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I didn't do anything wrong... but I am sorry for the things I did'st.

• Options
    I remember how a couple of years ago, when it seemed like gamers might actually start caring about crunch and devs unionizing, two higher-ups (possibly the founders? I don't remember) from CDPR specifically asked to do an interview with Jason Schreier about that stuff, seemingly to reassure everyone that they won't do crunch and stuff... and in the end, the only concrete thing they said in a sea of weasel-words was "we're going to comply with any labor laws that Poland might have".

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

On Dark Bramble

Outer Wilds (end game)

I watched the documentary about the game today and apparently getting to the Ash Twin Project definitely is something that got patched to be easier. I'm curious what exactly they changed, whether they just seeded more clues or actually changed the method at all.

It did take me a long time to get it, figured it out after my scout managed to get teleported instead of sucked up by the sand. I guess because of its sticky feet. But afterwards I realised I'd read a note somewhere about "anyone who steps onto a warp point will be instantly teleported" which was a clue that I didn't need to stand on it and wait. Like with a lot of the clues I only got what they were telling me after I'd already achieved the thing.
    you used to have to look up to teleport to other worlds, and look down to teleport into the core.

The look down part was pretty unintuitive.

I think they also shortened the time before the teleporter was accessible?

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

On Dark Bramble

Outer Wilds (end game)

you used to have to look up to teleport to other worlds, and look down to teleport into the core.

Unless that's a change, that's not how it works. Each teleporter only goes to one place. The trick is they have to be lined up and the core teleporter moves in sync with Ember Twin, so you can only get in when Ember Twin is directly overhead. Complicating matters is the fact that if you just stand there, you'll get sucked up to Ember Twin; you have to hide behind the door and jump into the teleporter at exactly the right moment so you don't get sucked up.[/spoiled]

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

On Dark Bramble

Outer Wilds (end game)

Outer Wilds
    Yeah what got me was I had read all the clues and I was 100% sure I had to teleport from that room and then the sand lifted me the first time I tried it so my response was "Oh well obviously that was entirely the wrong idea, you don't need this room at all!" instead of noticing the closet, which no other room on Ash Twin has, and thinking "maybe this matters"

So I spent a lot of time rechecking almost everything else in the game for some missed clue before turning to YouTube

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    rhylith wrote: »

On Dark Bramble

Outer Wilds (end game)

Unless that's a change, that's not how it works. Each teleporter only goes to one place. The trick is they have to be lined up and the core teleporter moves in sync with Ember Twin, so you can only get in when Ember Twin is directly overhead. Complicating matters is the fact that if you just stand there, you'll get sucked up to Ember Twin; you have to hide behind the door and jump into the teleporter at exactly the right moment so you don't get sucked up.[/spoiled]
    Yes obviously you have to be standing on the correct teleporter pad during alignment and also the sand could suck you up if you just stood around looking at the floor for the ash twin core pad before they’re aligned. But this was the specific change that Brovid mentioned from the patch notes where all you have to do is stand on a pad when they’re in alignment.

rhylith on
  • Options
    In case your wondering, Epic's partners aren't happy about the leaks.

since you're here, I wrote a thing about how stupidly secret the games industry is and how the courts weren't prepared for apparently ten or so third-parties descending on them to redact their secrets from evidence:
    https://t.co/WFokP8b2bK

Tweeter is an IGN reporter who is following the trial.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    playing that there wolfenstein: youngblood thanks to gamepass

I immediately love these dipshit meathead sisters and want them to protect me from nazi robot dogs

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I talked about Disco Elysium with someone that has played it previously and found out why I was having trouble progressing.
    Turns out you HAVE to establish authority with Hardie. I hadn't even attempted the check because my authority score was 0.

I've been told that the game lets you continue anyway if you fail the check three times, but I got it on the third try. Good thing I had held on to those skill points. Had to use drugs to even be able to put in the second point.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I think the Epic/Apple lawsuit can support its own thread if we're just going to be livetweeting takes from it all day.

Yeah!

So I made one!

Here it is!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wa
    Peewi wrote: »
    I talked about Disco Elysium with someone that has played it previously and found out why I was having trouble progressing.
    Turns out you HAVE to establish authority with Hardie. I hadn't even attempted the check because my authority score was 0.

I've been told that the game lets you continue anyway if you fail the check three times, but I got it on the third try. Good thing I had held on to those skill points. Had to use drugs to even be able to put in the second point.
    You get bonuses to the check for various other things involving the case and the Union, too.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

You get bonuses to the check for various other things involving the case and the Union, too.
    Yeah, I had a total of +5 in bonuses to this check. The chance was still low enough that I didn't bother trying it before being outright told that it was necessary to continue the main case.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Playing Alan wake cos it’s leaving gamepass and I’ve never played it before. Holy shit so blurry. I’m sure back in the day it wasnf too bad, but on a big 4K tv it’s legit hard to focus cos of all the pixels and blurry resolution

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Playing Alan wake cos it’s leaving gamepass and I’ve never played it before. Holy shit so blurry. I’m sure back in the day it wasnf too bad, but on a big 4K tv it’s legit hard to focus cos of all the pixels and blurry resolution

The game was made to run at a base resolution for of 960x540 for the Xbox 360 so making it 4k was going to be worse than a lot of games

This discussion has been closed.