As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 is still probably my choice for best ARPG currently on the market

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    diablo 3 came out nine years ago and it still looks the best because most arpgs still look like doodoo

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't think i can really regard D3 objectively

like i have... several hundred hours played in that game

but the last third of my playtime with it just had me souring on so many aspects of it

i guess it's like asking a former gambling addict what their thoughts on slot machines are

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Jars wrote: »
    diablo 3 came out nine years ago and it still looks the best because most arpgs still look like doodoo

I am all over APRGs but Diablo 3 is maybe in the lower on my top ten.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I like how D3 actually had color, but a ton of people complained about it so now everything I've seen of D4 looks like they just cranked the gamma way down so you can't see shit anymore.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I like how D3 actually had color, but a ton of people complained about it so now everything I've seen of D4 looks like they just cranked the gamma way down so you can't see shit anymore.

i did like all the greens and purples quite a bit

plus that autumn area was gorgeous

• Options
    I played through grim dawn recently and there are some cool things in it but on a whole it lacks the same feel and a lot of skills are just too wimpy for me to want to use

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I like color, d3 looks good on it's own, but also I like baroque use of darkness sometimes, and diablo 1 and 2's color palettes and dark/nighttime areas and lighting systems were very iconic and atmospheric in a way D3 didn't try to emulate at all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dorfromantik might be the most addictive game I've played in a long time

This is going to ruin me

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

This is going to ruin me

my wife has been staying up till like 2 in the morning building little tile cities

she hasn't been this bad since Civ V

• Options
    without running and with the light radius being limited diablo 1 really plays a lot different than the subsequent games in a way that I like

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

This is going to ruin me

How are you going to make a game called Dorfromantik that's not a Tim Conway dating sim? Huge wasted opportunity.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    without running and with the light radius being limited diablo 1 really plays a lot different than the subsequent games in a way that I like

Game is antiquated in a lot of ways, but I still appreciate D1's intimate, constrained style and pace. 16 levels, kill satan, no dumb, extravagant bullshit.

Its macabre is also better done than any of the subsequent games. When i heard FRESH MEAT you bet your fucking ass I ran reasonably paced the fuck out of there.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I've read several Heinlein books back in the day, most of them I don't super remember. Double Star was my favorite, which was about an actor having to take over public life for a sick politician. Stranger in a Strange Land was kinda interesting but also just felt weird for weirdness' sake. I think the main reason it's still remembered today is the word grok, which I'm pretty sure it coined.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm excited for the D2 remake because the visuals look exactly the way my dumb brain remembers diablo 2 looking rather than the low res muddy graphics diablo 2 actually has

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    yeah I'm way more excited about d2r than d4. the game has a few quirks that I wouldn't mind seeing let go(mana issues on certain classes, inventory space, no map compass) but overall it's still a great game.

• Options
    yeah I'm way more excited about d2r than d4. the game has a few quirks that I wouldn't mind seeing let go(mana issues on certain classes, inventory space, no map compass) but overall it's still a great game.

they are making a shared stash between characters, and increased stash size, as part of the D2 remaster

so no more making xyz_mule_001, xyz_mule_002

• Options
    It will help, but the inventory size in d2 is tiny, and it's made worse by items being really big. you can only carry 5 staffs and you are full. big difference between that and d3 where you can carry like 40 of the things

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The D2R test looks real nice, and in any other circumstance I'd be looking into getting my maws on it.

But seeing as how I want to have very little to do with Actiblizz, it's not a particularly difficult pass.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 feels the best to play out of any ARPG currently out there I think. Personally the art style never bothered me, I actually like it. I appreciate the grimness of D2, but I like that D3 has colour. Its fine.

I still play every D3 season but I burn out in like 2 days which is unfortunate. It would be nice if there was more there, you know

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    heinlein was a weird guy with barely-coherent politics

he hated authoritarians and loved the potential of humanity, hence, Stranger in a Strange Land, but also fancied himself a practical, results-oriented guy who loved the military, and so, Starship Troopers

this is the actual truth of the matter but knowing it requires reading books which, let's be honest, is unfair to expect of people holding forth fervent opinions on the internet

buddy, you can miss me with this smug shit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean I think it's an extremely valid point. People with frothing opinions on the internet have often not actually informed themselves on the subject matter at hand.

Maybe that's less true on this forum but most takes on the internet are uninformed.

edit: specifically I don't think JK meant "lol people don't read books lol," I think they meant that people run their mouths without knowing what they're on about fuckin' constantly.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    One thing D3 solved that other ARPGs seem to want to unsolve is skill points. The "best build" for many classes across many games is: Exclusively use 1 or 2 main skills, dump all your points into them. All the rest of your points go into passives or auras or other noninteractive skills.

Putting 1 extra point into fire beam so it does +5% damage is boring. Putting the blue rune in so it becomes ice beam is cool.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    I mean I think it's an extremely valid point. People with frothing opinions on the internet have often not actually informed themselves on the subject matter at hand.

Maybe that's less true on this forum but most takes on the internet are uninformed.

edit: specifically I don't think JK meant "lol people don't read books lol," I think they meant that people run their mouths without knowing what they're on about fuckin' constantly.

There is certainly an implication that people here were doing that, given that here is where the conversation is taking place

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    One thing D3 solved that other ARPGs seem to want to unsolve is skill points. The "best build" for many classes across many games is: Exclusively use 1 or 2 main skills, dump all your points into them. All the rest of your points go into passives or auras or other noninteractive skills.

Putting 1 extra point into fire beam so it does +5% damage is boring. Putting the blue rune in so it becomes ice beam is cool.

it also lets you start doing cool shit immediately

other arpgs are like "okay so, for the next two hours, you get to wiggle your sword at a guy" meanwhile D3 had you doing lightning punches in the first ten minutes

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This is kind of A Thing and it's weird. People seem to have a weird affinity for putting points into things even if it doesn't do much (see the constant screams for WoW to bring back talent trees even though 90% of any talent tree was just "deal 5% more damage with Bear Ass Attack" or "your Shitty Garbage Filler Spell cools down 3% faster [1/2/34/5]"). I don't know if that's because it was the norm for so long it's just expected or if it's a brain thing where it feels good to point points in skill boxes even if making all those skills completely passive has the same effect on gameplay?

• Options
    people want choice even if it's not choice. stat allocations in diablo 2 were always the same: enough str to equip your gear, enough dex to block if you used a shield, and everything else in vit. it's a really shallow, meaningless system yet lots of people cling to that kind of stuff.

• Options
    Being able to respec easily is good, I agree.

But D3 as it currently is has an extremely short gearing-up stage where you do care about some varied different stats and then its literally just keep stacking your one mainstat (int/str/dex). that is the stage at which I tap out.

• Options

There is certainly an implication that people here were doing that, given that here is where the conversation is taking place

I didn't read it that way since there was a conversation about the broader internet's opinion on Heinlein's stuff but I'm also really bad at communicating so perhaps you're right.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if heinlein's so good how come he doesn't have any manga adaptations

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    you sure you wanna invoke that

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they didn't 'solve' that problem at all
    a. it's not a problem to many MANY people
    b. they just stealthily shifted it to gear and set bonuses, which to me sucks and actively limits how you get to play your character

D3 feels good to play, but it severely limits your choice on how you play due to it's geometric rather than linear scaling due to item bonuses

• Options
    also, PoE gives you your first skill after the first guy you kill and then 5 minutes later gives you access to several others

by the end of the first act you have access to like 2/3s of all skills

also, D3 has explicitly 'best build's and to suggest otherwise is kinda absurd

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

b. they just stealthily shifted it to gear and set bonuses, which to me sucks and actively limits how you get to play your character

D3 feels good to play, but it severely limits your choice on how you play due to it's geometric rather than linear scaling due to item bonuses

To be fair, this was not true at vanilla D3 launch or Reaper of Souls launch really. It's evolved that way over time as a vocal number of players yelled for sets to be A Thing and folks push ever more crazy levels in the game necessitating the absolutely nutterbutter %s currently on gear.

• Options
    yeah d3 lategame is all sets now, almost exclusively

they sorta cycle which one is the best for each class per season, but its really hard to keep up if you don't want to use one of the pre-defined builds

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

There was a Starship Troopers OVA series back in the 80s.

They are still making figures and kits of the powered armor!

https://www.hlj.com/1-20-scale-powered-suit-commander-type-wavps-012

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

There was a Starship Troopers OVA series back in the 80s.

They are still making figures and kits of the powered armor!

https://www.hlj.com/1-20-scale-powered-suit-commander-type-wavps-012

did i stutter

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

To be fair, this was not true at vanilla D3 launch or Reaper of Souls launch really. It's evolved that way over time as a vocal number of players yelled for sets to be A Thing and folks push ever more crazy levels in the game necessitating the absolutely nutterbutter %s currently on gear.

it was a thing even at launch thanks to certain unique items making builds 'the best'

it became way worse when the nuked the RMAH and removed trading, when they rightly realized that torment difficulties didn't really line up with their horrendous itemization and drop rates and decided to become more arcadey (which was a correct choice)

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If Heinlein's so smart how come he's dead

• Options
    Blizzard has at least made it so you don't need to go with the "one and only" build for each class, they have buffed a lot of sets and builds in the last couple years. Also the "Legacy of Dreams" gem does allow you to make builds using no set gear. But these are just bandaids for their decision to lean so heavily on sets. Build diversity is still waaaaaaaaaay lower than e.g. PoE.

And regardless of these choices, it still takes virtually no time to gear them up and be done with them.

This discussion has been closed.