As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

1313234363771

Posts

  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I have had a fly stuck in my ear only once and I will never forget the sound or vibrations as it tried to free itself from my cochlea amber.

    I read that as "I have had my fly stuck in one once" at first, thinking you were continuing the escalator talk, so the rest of that post painted a much more horrifying picture for a brief moment

    Elvenshae
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Walking down a broken escalator makes me nervous. I’m afraid someone will turn it on and I will be catapulted forward if I’m walking too fast.

  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Any excuse for a Would I Lie To You clip.

    steam_sig.png
    SharpyVII
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Went to the Maryland zoo yesterday as a bit of a celebration for my partner getting her second vaccine and a fair bit of recovery time

    They did an ok (albeit imperfect) job of timing ticketed entries and keeping foot traffic flowing one way through the zoo exhibitions and such, and the major indoor facilities were all closed for similar reasons

    Plus the vast majority of attendees were great about masking and keeping reasonable distances, even while managing small kids (gosh, that was the most children I've seen since before March 2020)

    So overall, I'd say it was a reasonable activity for two masked and vaccinated people, plus a good vibe check on where I'm at with regard to being places that aren't home and work (at least for the first time since last year's protest season)

    I don't know how I'd feel about an indoor museum or aquarium but, outdoor trail loops of the zoo felt fine honestly

    XaquinCrippl3chromdomElvenshaeFearghaillHeadCreeps
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I try and avoid escalators because no matter how hard I try to control myself I always do a very embarrassing nervous little hop to get on and off

    AlexandierDepressperado
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I never understood the purpose of those airport automated walkways. It's like, let's go through the unnecessary trouble and expense of making the floor of a 40 foot stretch of hallway move.

    That said I love them because it feels like hitting a video game speed boost strip in real life and I fuckin blow past all the normies just standing there.

    Outta my way, plebs, I am the Fast Man with important places to be quickly.

    mrpakuSleepMortal SkySnicketysnickPeenDidgeridooCrippl33cl1ps3MulysaSemproniusFearghaillMagic PinkDisruptedCapitalist
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Probably because some airports are too damn big and require walking more than a mile to reach your gate

    SleepMortal SkyPeenMaddoc3cl1ps3OrcaElvenshaewebguy20QuantumTurksarukunBloodsheed
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    If the SLC airport didn't have those motorized walkways, you'd be looking at near a fucking mile and a half walk for any connection between gate letters.

  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the longest airport concourse I've ever walked was the one in Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international terminal

    that fucker is literally like 3 miles long, great way to stretch the legs before a trans-Pacific flight though

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I really like going to Phoenix when doing my PAX trips because I get off the plane and my connecting flight is across the lobby.

    Whereas I go through Vegas, which is appropriately shaped like a big wheel, and have to travel from the furthest end of one spoke to the furthest end of another spoke.

  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The degree to which I enjoy any US domestic airport (especially if transfers or layovers are involved) is usually proportional to how much time I have to navigate it, plus how intuitive it is to navigate

  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 19
    My wife and I had an anniversary last week. Which means we've had two separate anniversaries while under lockdown.

    I know it's a far cry from the bigger tragedies and difficulties of quarantimes, but it's still a fair bit of a bummer.

    Poorochondriac on
    DoodmannSleepDouglasDanger3cl1ps3OrcaTynnantynicDidgeridooLabelCelloFearghaillPeenDee KaeUsagiFishmansarukunSporkAndrewVegemyteVeldrinHeadCreepsSkeithpooka
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    When I was a kid, me, my mom, and my sister would fly to New York to visit mom's family every summer and/or Christmas, from wherever we were living. O'Hare used to have this giant lower-level motorized walkway, with all kinds of neon light art, like a pedestrian walkway only underneath instead of above something.

    For some reason I fucking loved that thing, we'd all ride it back and forth a bunch of times, it was always one of my favorite parts of the trip lmao

    Mortal Sky
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    My wife and I an anniversary last week. Which means we've had two separate anniversaries while under lockdown.

    I know it's a far cry from the bigger tragedies and difficulties of quarantimes, but it's still a fair bit of a bummer.

    My kid is just about a month off from their first birthday. Gonna be wild explaining their first year to them someday.

    Xaquin3cl1ps3tynicLabelMechMantis
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    That earwax bit actually sounds great to me

    I once had a severely wax blocked ear for a week and it was one of the worst experiences of my life, but the pressure relief of finally getting it out was incredible

    Some people generate lots of earwax and their bodies don't do a good job of evacuating it. I've only met one doctor who didn't immediately think I regularly jabbed q-tips in my ear (I don't). Same thing for my kids.

    What finally stopped my ears from continuously clogging was getting a bulb syringe and a big cup of hot water and baking soda and flushing my ears in the shower. It's amazing the amount of wax that will come out.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    BahamutZEROBrovid Hasselsmofspono
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    As Mitch Hedberg teaches us 'Escalators can never break, they can only become stairs.'

    I don't know...escalators have actually killed people in ways stairs can't.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    MulysaSemproniusdiscrider
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    I just keep one of those blue baby ear bulb syringe things in my shower on one of the soap shelves and use it to irrigate my ears on the first of every month, or if I'm experiencing any ear...stuff. Haven't had a really bad clog since about 2011, which is what prompted me to start doing this.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I didn't used to get lots of wax problems but then I turned 30

    BahamutZERO.gif
    sponoani_game_bum
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't used to get lots of wax problems but then I turned 30

    when you moved to Southern California?

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It was interesting to learn that physiology alters earwax. European earwax is often yellow orange sticky gel consistency, whereas Japanese earwax is relatively dry and whitish

    Depressperado
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm gonna do the other ear tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it. It never fails to impress me how much comes out. I should be stone cold deaf.

  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The human body and its various secretions, sheddings or effluvia is disgusting and should not be talked about nor acknowledged.

    Go hide ye selves from the Lord under skins of sheep and palm fronds like decent folk

    XaquintynicJedocFlarne3cl1ps3PsykomaShadowhopeMagic PinkIronKnuckle's Ghost
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    The first time I got my ear irrigated at the doctor's office I think I was 21, and they pulled out something like 14 or 15 grams.

    From a single ear.

    They asked me if they should do the other ear while I was there, wouldn't cost any extra. So I was like, sure. And they looked and it was clean as a whistle. Nothing makes sense!

    Doodmann
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Girlfriends dog yelped jumping up on her bed last week. She gave it a couple days but it was obvious the dogs leg was bothering her so she tried to get her in to the vet. Appointment made for this week. Come Friday though it's obviously getting worse so she bugs the vet and gets to fill a cancelled appointment that day. Of course, with vet visits these days you can't go in with your furry friend, the staff picks them up at the car and you wait outside. Doggo is sedated for the exam. She's got a huge mass on her leg, too big for the vet to take out, needs a surgeon. The vet thinks it's just a benign fatty lump based on probing it and something about the jump onto the bed upset something. But her normal surgeon is working at lower capacity because covid. Vet will ask around, but it'll likely be on my girlfriend to find a surgeon. They give her some painkillers. Girlfriend calls a bunch of places on Friday.

    Sunday and she can't put any weight on the leg also won't lay down and just keeps wandering about and yelp wimpering and panting. Vets closed on weekends during covid. Off to the emergency vet, still can't go in with her. That vet says get a surgeon immediately, and my girlfriend is like, y'all are one of the people I called on Friday and am I'm waiting to hear back from you. The vet is just like "Oh." She gets more, stronger painkillers. But now doggo just lays and whimpers. She stops eating Sunday afternoon but still drinks water at least.

    Today a surgeon finally gets back and schedules a surgery for Wednesday because positive covid shut down their facility for cleaning. Dog still won't eat but is still drinking water. Another Vet thinks maybe my girlfriend should have her dog put down before Wednesday.

    And like, even if we get her to Wednesday because it could be that this is benign and just super painful and just needs to come out to make it all better; there's a chance it won't and they might find out during the removal that it's really bad and the humane option is to euthanize. And that means she'll be taken away from the car and basically die alone and her last thoughts will be being alone and not understanding being taken away because wearing masks and other precautions is too hard for Americans.

    The minimum for the very last vet trip should be being there to hold them so they know they're loved.

    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    DoodmannTynnanPinfeldorftynicDepressperadoXaquinSnicketysnickSleepDavid_T3cl1ps3LabelDee KaeFishmanDoctorArchErlecElvenshaemightyjongyosarukunSporkAndrewSharpyVIIAl_watVegemyteShadowhopeVeldrinMagic PinkKetarHeadCreepsSkeithpooka
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's awful. I'm sorry for your partner and for the dog :(

    PinfeldorfDoodmannTynnanCelloMulysaSemproniusXaquinJedocSnicketysnickMunkus BeaverCrippl3David_TOrcatynicmrpaku3cl1ps3LabelMortal SkychromdomDee KaeMrMonroeAlexandierRanlinAistanDoctorArchElvenshaeBahamutZEROsarukunTefSporkAndrewAl_watVegemyteShadowhopeVeldrinMagic PinkKetarani_game_bumHeadCreepsSkeithpooka
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Escalator stairs feel at the wrong height when they're not moving

    I generally walk up escalators, and everything feels fine then, but when they're static, something is off

    They literally are the wrong height. There's a pretty narrow band for what measurements are allowed for different kinds of stairs (like public stairs, escape stairs, etc.) and escalators have measurements that you won't encounter on pretty much an other stairs.

    tynicTynnan
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    honovere wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Escalator stairs feel at the wrong height when they're not moving

    I generally walk up escalators, and everything feels fine then, but when they're static, something is off

    They literally are the wrong height. There's a pretty narrow band for what measurements are allowed for different kinds of stairs (like public stairs, escape stairs, etc.) and escalators have measurements that you won't encounter on pretty much an other stairs.

    7/11

    7" is the max. riser height and 11" nose to nose on the run (for commercial stairs that is)

    also, a minimum of 44" width not counting hand rail protrusion (inside of stringer to inside of stringer)

    Xaquin on
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The human body and its various secretions, sheddings or effluvia is disgusting and should not be talked about nor acknowledged.

    Go hide ye selves from the Lord under skins of sheep and palm fronds like decent folk

    Hey everyone I found the catholic!

    Sleep
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Escalator stairs feel at the wrong height when they're not moving

    I generally walk up escalators, and everything feels fine then, but when they're static, something is off

    They literally are the wrong height. There's a pretty narrow band for what measurements are allowed for different kinds of stairs (like public stairs, escape stairs, etc.) and escalators have measurements that you won't encounter on pretty much an other stairs.

    Why do they only feel like they're the wrong height when they're not moving though? A moving escalator feels like walking up stairs.

  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Girlfriends dog yelped jumping up on her bed last week. She gave it a couple days but it was obvious the dogs leg was bothering her so she tried to get her in to the vet. Appointment made for this week. Come Friday though it's obviously getting worse so she bugs the vet and gets to fill a cancelled appointment that day. Of course, with vet visits these days you can't go in with your furry friend, the staff picks them up at the car and you wait outside. Doggo is sedated for the exam. She's got a huge mass on her leg, too big for the vet to take out, needs a surgeon. The vet thinks it's just a benign fatty lump based on probing it and something about the jump onto the bed upset something. But her normal surgeon is working at lower capacity because covid. Vet will ask around, but it'll likely be on my girlfriend to find a surgeon. They give her some painkillers. Girlfriend calls a bunch of places on Friday.

    Sunday and she can't put any weight on the leg also won't lay down and just keeps wandering about and yelp wimpering and panting. Vets closed on weekends during covid. Off to the emergency vet, still can't go in with her. That vet says get a surgeon immediately, and my girlfriend is like, y'all are one of the people I called on Friday and am I'm waiting to hear back from you. The vet is just like "Oh." She gets more, stronger painkillers. But now doggo just lays and whimpers. She stops eating Sunday afternoon but still drinks water at least.

    Today a surgeon finally gets back and schedules a surgery for Wednesday because positive covid shut down their facility for cleaning. Dog still won't eat but is still drinking water. Another Vet thinks maybe my girlfriend should have her dog put down before Wednesday.

    And like, even if we get her to Wednesday because it could be that this is benign and just super painful and just needs to come out to make it all better; there's a chance it won't and they might find out during the removal that it's really bad and the humane option is to euthanize. And that means she'll be taken away from the car and basically die alone and her last thoughts will be being alone and not understanding being taken away because wearing masks and other precautions is too hard for Americans.

    The minimum for the very last vet trip should be being there to hold them so they know they're loved.

    I'm really sorry. We went through very similar with Enzo last summer, it is just...the worst. It really is. I wish I had more to say, or anything useful to offer. I'm so sorry.

    PinfeldorfVegemyteShadowhope
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    You're probably just so used to moving escalators that you expect them to be how they are. So while moving you brain doesn't expect them to be stairs, they're their own distinct category.
    You have to make way bigger steps on it then on regular stairs. Which you might also not notice all that much because if you walk on them while they're moving you have to make so many fewer steps that it doesn't feel as difficult as it actually is

    Edit: sorry, I didn't see the other posts before. Now I feel like a jerk.

    honovere on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    way misunderstood, nevermind.

    expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    re: covid vets and last moments - we had to put one of our dogs down a month ago... this likely varies by area, but here (in bay area, CA) they will let you and one other person go in for some last goodbyes.

    i'm sorry things arent looking good, it's rough even when things are normal. i cant even imagine what its like to go around calling just to find a vet who will even look at them :(.

  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Still got a bit of fatigue and joint pain but I'm back at work this morning.

    ElTL7ou.jpg
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I never understood the purpose of those airport automated walkways. It's like, let's go through the unnecessary trouble and expense of making the floor of a 40 foot stretch of hallway move.

    That said I love them because it feels like hitting a video game speed boost strip in real life and I fuckin blow past all the normies just standing there.

    Outta my way, plebs, I am the Fast Man with important places to be quickly.

    I stay off the walkways and try to outpace the people who are on the walkways.

    Remember, safety is everyone's concern. We have gone five days without a workplace death.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I know I’m definitely going to regret my words later

    but as a notorious insomniac, a tiny part of me is admittedly kinda excited about the possibility of just being knocked out and sleeping for two days straight

    As a notorious insomniac, when I got my first dose I ended up falling asleep at 6:30pm because I was completely exhausted. Woke up at 9:30pm and was up for a while, went back to sleep close to my usual late night bullshit. Napped during the day the following day because I just could not stay awake, ended up in even worse shape than usual that night.

    la la lalalala I can’t hear you

    Sooo, I actually ended up getting 7-7.5 hours each of the last 2 nights - and that's a lot for me! I was in bed by 11:15-11:30 and fell asleep quickly, so that was nice.

    On the other hand, I had a low fever off and on yesterday, and now 41 hours post-shot 2 I woke up with a fever of 101.8 (38.8). Barely got out of bed and got the kids ready and off to school. Took some acetaminophen, but I suspect I'll be back in bed for a bit before the morning is through.

  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just got poked for the first time.

    Well, not the first first time. But it's the first of this set.

    Maybe I should have chosen a different verb.


    Just got pricked for the first time.

    steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeCrippl3Label
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just got poked for the first time.

    Well, not the first first time. But it's the first of this set.

    Maybe I should have chosen a different verb.


    Just got pricked for the first time.

    So you're saying you're a prick?

  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just got poked for the first time.

    Well, not the first first time. But it's the first of this set.

    Maybe I should have chosen a different verb.


    Just got pricked for the first time.

    So you're saying you're a prick?

    I'm not not saying that. But in this case the prick was done at me.

    steam_sig.png
    Elvenshae
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just got poked for the first time.

    Well, not the first first time. But it's the first of this set.

    Maybe I should have chosen a different verb.


    Just got pricked for the first time.

    So you're saying you're a prick?

    I'm not not saying that. But in this case the prick was done at me.

    Ya got a good prick in ya. :winky:

Sign In or Register to comment.