Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Pokemon Legends: Arceus looks boring. :(

It looks like they wanted to copy Breath of the Wild without copying anything at all that was fun about it.

It's literally empty giant landmass with 100% focus on the pokemon themselves as fighters. What about using them to interact with the environment, like cut trees for resources? Collecting fruit or herbs? Crafting systems? Building stuff? Even a rich society full of towns and people to talk to and quests?

It looks like it's JUST interacting with pokemon.

Pokemon sun moon was kind of boring compared to X/Y
    My brother does call it the pokemon breath of the wild since they teased it. I am interested in it but the trailer left more questions than it answered

Aww, sometimes I feel like the only one who really loved Sun & Moon :( (it's literally the first one since the original that I cared enough to complete the regional pokedex). Also X/Y has the worst story and writing ever :P (seriously, when the anime just ignores 99% of your game's plot and writes something way better that should say something...) Though I did have fun with X/Y's gameplay at least.

Anyways, Arceus is looking pretty cool to me. Actually all the research kinda stuff from this trailer sounds like something I would be interested in. I still would like to see more about how the whole thing plays, but at least it doesn't look like it's running at 10fps anymore like that first trailer (man that was ROUGH looking). The visuals look much improved too from that. But yeah, if the game isn't just "collect all the pokemans and fight gym leaders" like every other Pokemon game, that sounds appealing to me. I'm kind of getting sick of that formula.

Nah, you're not. Far as I'm concerned, as someone who has never missed a gen, Sun&Moon are probably either the best or the second best gen in the series, and they have the best protagonist (the actual protagonist of SuMo is Lillie, let's be real here).

I tend to forget X/Y were a thing, honestly. Who were the baddies in that again?

Team Flare, because something something fashion? They were like the worst team ever. The anime was just like, "Nah, they want to steal Zygarde to wreak the world or whatever" which was a much better plot :P I still wonder if the anime just basically took its plot from the likely cancelled Pokemon Z :P

Worse than Team Yell, who were basically just soccer hooligans? :P

Team Yell was fine.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ultra Sun had one of the best plots of any Pokemon I've ever played, but the experience of playing it was one of the most mind numbingly easy and therefore boring things I've ever done. The only thing the game EVER punished me for was for keeping Ash's hat Pikachu in the party the whole game because his stats are laughable trash. Which, coincidentally, is probably one of the WORST game design decisions in this overall very poorly designed game? What's that, you want to use the extra cute version of the mascot on your team because he's cute? NO! He is bad! Why is he bad, why didn't we make him good? Well you see... we designed his stats in a Game Boy game in the 90s and never saw any reason to revisit the playable status of the mascot of the entire franchise. That... makes sense, right?

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I loved Sun and Moon. Still not sure why I never picked up Ultra Sun. I think I was kinda burnt out after going through Sun.

I though S&M were fantastic (for a 3DS Pokemon game), but yeah: Ultra-S&M are the only ones in the series that I never bothered to play.

I guess it just felt like they were coming out too soon... which might have been a personal age thing, as I don't think their release schedule was that different from the usual "third" versions...

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

It looks like they wanted to copy Breath of the Wild without copying anything at all that was fun about it.

It's literally empty giant landmass with 100% focus on the pokemon themselves as fighters. What about using them to interact with the environment, like cut trees for resources? Collecting fruit or herbs? Crafting systems? Building stuff? Even a rich society full of towns and people to talk to and quests?

My brother does call it the pokemon breath of the wild since they teased it. I am interested in it but the trailer left more questions than it answered

Aww, sometimes I feel like the only one who really loved Sun & Moon :( (it's literally the first one since the original that I cared enough to complete the regional pokedex). Also X/Y has the worst story and writing ever :P (seriously, when the anime just ignores 99% of your game's plot and writes something way better that should say something...) Though I did have fun with X/Y's gameplay at least.

Anyways, Arceus is looking pretty cool to me. Actually all the research kinda stuff from this trailer sounds like something I would be interested in. I still would like to see more about how the whole thing plays, but at least it doesn't look like it's running at 10fps anymore like that first trailer (man that was ROUGH looking). The visuals look much improved too from that. But yeah, if the game isn't just "collect all the pokemans and fight gym leaders" like every other Pokemon game, that sounds appealing to me. I'm kind of getting sick of that formula.

Nah, you're not. Far as I'm concerned, as someone who has never missed a gen, Sun&Moon are probably either the best or the second best gen in the series, and they have the best protagonist (the actual protagonist of SuMo is Lillie, let's be real here).

I tend to forget X/Y were a thing, honestly. Who were the baddies in that again?

Team Flare, because something something fashion? They were like the worst team ever. The anime was just like, "Nah, they want to steal Zygarde to wreak the world or whatever" which was a much better plot :P I still wonder if the anime just basically took its plot from the likely cancelled Pokemon Z :P

Very much so. Team Yell are not threatening (and they're not even actually villains), but they're funny. And it helps that a lot of players met Marnie and went "okay, actually, yes, I also want the punk idol anime protagonist to win the tournament instead of me, where do I get my trumpet".

Though, admittedly, they are thoroughly outclassed in the funny department by team "dance aggressively at the ocean" Skull, who are the best goddamn team in Pokemon, don't @ me.

(In general, I feel that, by necessity, a pokemon Team's mooks are never going to have any presence. Trying is just going to make them accidentally funny. So it's probably better to do what SuMo does, which is make your normal antagonists a bunch of hilarious mooks on purpose, and save the actual villain points for Lusamine)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I loved Team Yell, because I'm a Marnie stan too.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I might be a team skull fan.

Maybe.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Hey now, Team Yell were great. They weren't a threat or even that bad, they were just hooligans that were way too into the sport life. They were entertaining though.

Team Skull were also entertaining.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Team Yell's crimes basically topped out at trying to get in people's way. They are by far the least evil of the teams. Which is part of why they work.

• Options
    I loved when they were blocking one of the roads but were at least decent enough to let the old lady through.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Is Team Yell just the next generation of the "we're dancing here, for no reason" guys?

• Options
    Is Team Yell just the next generation of the "we're dancing here, for no reason" guys?

No, they're very open about sabotaging Marnie's competition. Their idea of sabotage is limited to being living roadblocks though. And yeah, they dont really harass anyone who isnt competing beyond just being very loud.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They peaked with Wally anyway, they know there's no point in trying anymore.

• Options
    Wally isn't an evil team member; he's the surprise rival (since the other player character bows out halfway through the story).

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Team Yell is good, because the game showed that the true villain is Capitalism

• Options
    Wally isn't an evil team member; he's the surprise rival (since the other player character bows out halfway through the story).

No evil team member has really ever been that good to begin with, so they need to be benchmarked against something that's actually good.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Very much so. Team Yell are not threatening (and they're not even actually villains), but they're funny. And it helps that a lot of players met Marnie and went "okay, actually, yes, I also want the punk idol anime protagonist to win the tournament instead of me, where do I get my trumpet".

Though, admittedly, they are thoroughly outclassed in the funny department by team "dance aggressively at the ocean" Skull, who are the best goddamn team in Pokemon, don't @ me.

(In general, I feel that, by necessity, a pokemon Team's mooks are never going to have any presence. Trying is just going to make them accidentally funny. So it's probably better to do what SuMo does, which is make your normal antagonists a bunch of hilarious mooks on purpose, and save the actual villain points for Lusamine)

These are all true facts

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

My wally got a shiny Ralts.

He is by far the most vile villain in the pokemon universe.

• Options
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Team Yell is good, because the game showed that the true villain is Capitalism

I thought he didn't even want to get rich though, wasnt rose trying to stop pokemon climate change or something? And he decided to do this bond villain style because the problem was too far in the future and people suck? So he gigantimaxed some pokemon? Or something??

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I only saw the story secondhand when my brother played Shield, but I think I recall the Champion refusing to work with Rose because "but that climate problem is like 100 years in the future!", and she was like "it's gonna be too late if we don't do something dramatic NOW!"

Which like...

doesn't make me sympathize much with the Champion? In the current political climate (aha)?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I only saw the story secondhand when my brother played Shield, but I think I recall the Champion refusing to work with Rose because "but that climate problem is like 100 years in the future!", and she was like "it's gonna be too late if we don't do something dramatic NOW!"

Which like...

doesn't make me sympathize much with the Champion? In the current political climate (aha)?

I thought it was more like an energy crisis and they would run out of electricity in 100 years, and the problem would be solvable by then with slower, more moderate changes along the way, but the villain just wants to do it right now.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Which like...

The whole thing was basically Rose being a child and Musk-style ego tripper that can't take someone, anyone, not doing what he says when he says it. The entire game, if you pay attention, you kinda notice that Rose never actually listens to anyone.

The conversation basically goes, more or less, like this:
    "We must act so I can save Galar from the energy crisis!"

"Oh crap, really? Sure, I'm in, how much time do we have?"

"A hundred years from now we will run out of energy!"

"...dude. The finals of the FIFA World Cup is tomorrow. If we have a hundred years, a few days aren't going to make a difference. Just schedule it for next week and I'll be happy to help you"

"But I want to do it nowwwww cancel your very important occasion so I can do my thing when I want"

"No. See you tomorrow"

So Rose starts the thing anyway to force Leon's hand, risking a ton of people in the process, because that things happen when and how Rose wants them (and that it's HIS plan that saves Galar instead of, say, professor Magnolia's research into Dynamax energy) is more important than actually succeeding.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Just in case anyone didn't know, Hard-Drive.net is a parody site, ala The Onion.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Which like...

The whole thing was basically Rose being a child and Musk-style ego tripper that can't take someone, anyone, not doing what he says when he says it. The entire game, if you pay attention, you kinda notice that Rose never actually listens to anyone.

The conversation basically goes, more or less, like this:
    "We must act so I can save Galar from the energy crisis!"

"Oh crap, really? Sure, I'm in, how much time do we have?"

"A hundred years from now we will run out of energy!"

"...dude. The finals of the FIFA World Cup is tomorrow. If we have a hundred years, a few days aren't going to make a difference. Just schedule it for next week and I'll be happy to help you"

"But I want to do it nowwwww cancel your very important occasion so I can do my thing when I want"

"No. See you tomorrow"

So Rose starts the thing anyway to force Leon's hand, risking a ton of people in the process, because that things happen when and how Rose wants them (and that it's HIS plan that saves Galar instead of, say, professor Magnolia's research into Dynamax energy) is more important than actually succeeding.

Ahhh. Ok. With that context, yeah, I side with Leon. I had misremembered the context.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok I'm now old. One whole page and I have no idea what you are all talking about. Pokemon only came in three versions. Red, blue and yellow.

Yeah, I had to go look up what Pokemon games that were being discussed thinking that they came out on the Switch and I missed them somehow.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Just in case anyone didn't know, Hard-Drive.net is a parody site, ala The Onion.

Thank you, I was just going to say this lol.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

I had to figure this out on my own because my first experience with them was when they dunked on IGN a little and people lost their crap over it treating it like it was some serious hit piece.

Imagine my confusion.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »

I had to figure this out on my own because my first experience with them was when they dunked on IGN a little and people lost their crap over it treating it like it was some serious hit piece.

Imagine my confusion.

Just like The Onion, the sentiment behind Hard Drive articles is very often deadly serious. The last line of this Pokemon article is hilarious.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Well reading comprehension has fallen lately

• Options
    Nothing will beat the Megaman Text scroll for me.

"I am more then a robot." only it's one letter at a time with about five seconds pause between each letter.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

"I am more then a robot." only it's one letter at a time with about five seconds pause between each letter.

l i t t l e m o n e y

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If anyone here has a hard time getting into the new Pokémon games, I would suggest trying the Digimon cyber sleuth games instead.

• Options

And he said nothing there in the Japanese.

Maybe that’s why it took so long. To make sure it fit the same time as the cutscene was supposed to take.

• Options
    Started playing NEO TWEWY. The first thing I heard from the battle lyrics "someone said I am such a Polish girl". And now that's all I ever hear.

Otherwise I'm loving it to far, but I see they brought back the stratified loot system, which is something I really disliked from the original. You should be able to kill an enemy on ultimate and it can give you the drops for all difficulties, not adjust the difficulty four times per enemy to try and farm all of its drops for the log.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I definitely get drops from tiers lower on hard. I am almost certain that works.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I definitely get drops from tiers lower on hard. I am almost certain that works.

The way it works is it rolls for the drop on your current difficulty first. Then if you miss that one it tries the next one down, and so on. So if your drop rate multiplier is high enough you can end up with normal being at 100% and never fill in easy, and so on.

That said, it's not too bad for normal enemies (and you can't unlock Ultimate until postgame anyways) - playing on hard you'll probably fill out normal and hard drops for them easily. Bosses you have to re-fight to fill out, but.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You can only get one pin per enemy per fight. If you don't roll high enough to get the drop for your current difficulty, you make a roll for the next lowest, and so on until you get a hit. So you still need to fight a boss at least four times to complete the log.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Sigh. I like the new pokemon games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Even the much-maligned Diamond and Pearl remakes?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular

Same. I enjoy most of them and I think Sw/Sh was the first one I've beaten since R/B.