As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    So I had surgery for a hernia and I'm currently on disability and will return to work on light duty, which involves me getting placed in another department to perform some bullshit busy work. Anyway I've had to talk to a number of manager types about this light duty restrictions. My restrictions are plainly spelled out in a letter by my surgeon (standing no more than 50% of the time, lifting no more than 10lbs, etc). Every manager type has tried to have a conversation like this with me:

Manager: "so... When do you think you can return to full duty?"
    Me: "it says 4 weeks"
    Manager: "so like... Do you feel like you could do normal duties"
    Me: "I gave you my restriction details already"
    Manager: "so like in your own words what do you feel you can and can't do?"
    Me: "what I can and can't do is in that letter. "

Sounds like you need to have a tshirt made.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I hear the word "emotional" coming out of my boss' mouth and I directly connect it to "they're on their period", because I've worked with enough women who have told me that's what that word decodes into.

News to no one here but it bears saying anyway: Men are just as emotional as everyone else, it's just that a huge chunk of patriarchy is built around rebranding our emotions as logic and reason.

Also, anger is not an emotion :rotate:

it is for me and i lurve it

i get so much done! messily!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Today for spirit week is Disney day.

I am currently wearing a Star Trek uniform hoodie beacuse,
    1. Fuck Disney
    2. Disney will probably own Star Trek in a few years
    3. I'm curious to see how many people actually notice

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Today for spirit week is Disney day.

I am currently wearing a Star Trek uniform hoodie beacuse,
    1. Fuck Disney
    2. Disney will probably own Star Trek in a few years
    3. I'm curious to see how many people actually notice

i thought we had decided you would wear mouse ears, running shorts and nothing else

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I thought Disney already owned Star Trek?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I hear the word "emotional" coming out of my boss' mouth and I directly connect it to "they're on their period", because I've worked with enough women who have told me that's what that word decodes into.

News to no one here but it bears saying anyway: Men are just as emotional as everyone else, it's just that a huge chunk of patriarchy is built around rebranding our emotions as logic and reason.

The move Inside Out has taught me otherwise.

Also, our imaginary childhood friends live on inside us, waiting for the day we come back to play with them again.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

The move Inside Out has taught me otherwise.

Also, our imaginary childhood friends live on inside us, waiting for the day we come back to play with them again.

excuse me that was a documentary how dare you?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Athenor wrote: »
    Today my imposter syndrome is flaring up something extremely fierce. I want to be good at devops and properly deploy tools and tech where I can. But I've barely played around with docker compose files, let alone kubernetes clusters or .yml or all sorts of other things that I feel I need to know in order to properly leverage a cloud environment.

I really want to learn more k8s stuff, right now there's just a pile of yaml and then magic happens and I have deployed stuff.

I've been thinking about setting up a cluster on a handful of Raspberries to play around with.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Today my imposter syndrome is flaring up something extremely fierce. I want to be good at devops and properly deploy tools and tech where I can. But I've barely played around with docker compose files, let alone kubernetes clusters or .yml or all sorts of other things that I feel I need to know in order to properly leverage a cloud environment.

I really want to learn more k8s stuff, right now there's just a pile of yaml and then magic happens and I have deployed stuff.

I've been thinking about setting up a cluster on a handful of Raspberries to play around with.

none of this post makes sense

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Look, sometimes you really need to transpose the trilithium matrix.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Modern development is stupid

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

i could follow the part about raspberries growing in clusters, the rest is pure gibberish

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

This is where I think I fall behind. I don't really want to spend my free time learning stuff for work. I want my workplace to be like "we need these skills! Learning them is part of your job. Now take this training."

That's where that reductress quiz above fails for me. I don't feel like I spend hours outside work improving my skills. I spend it thinking about structures and proposals and what I wish we could do, but I don't actually work outside of work hours often.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I might have stirred up something regarding what project management and associates might actually be responsible for in our projects. I was just asking about something that I didn't quite understand in our management process handbook.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Today's adventures with admin:

"Quid we still haven't received your transfer package please get it submitted immediately."

"You haven't sent me a transfer package."

SIX AND A HALF HOURS LATER

"Quid please fill out this transfer package and submit it immediately."

I will burn that man's cubicle to the ground so help me god

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

This is where I think I fall behind. I don't really want to spend my free time learning stuff for work. I want my workplace to be like "we need these skills! Learning them is part of your job. Now take this training."

That's where that reductress quiz above fails for me. I don't feel like I spend hours outside work improving my skills. I spend it thinking about structures and proposals and what I wish we could do, but I don't actually work outside of work hours often.

Not letting work take over your life is not a flaw, it's balance. More power to those who love it all and can do it all the time. But wanting separation from the labor you exchange for money is generally healthy. We aren't a family, this isn't a calling, sometimes I like work pretty well, but you pay me for the other 90%. Any boss that wants you to blow smoke about how much you love it there and don't mind working is just asking for more labor in terms of babying them. I'll do it but it costs.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Not letting work take over your life is not a flaw, it's balance. More power to those who love it all and can do it all the time. But wanting separation from the labor you exchange for money is generally healthy. We aren't a family, this isn't a calling, sometimes I like work pretty well, but you pay me for the other 90%. Any boss that wants you to blow smoke about how much you love it there and don't mind working is just asking for more labor in terms of babying them. I'll do it but it costs.

Yeah, except it ruins my health because I worry about being behind the curve or not being able to give people what they want. I'm slowly breaking myself of it, recognizing I'm on a team and they don't have their shit together (not their fault, same issue of lack of resources). But... I just feel like I need time to learn things. And I'm horrible at self-direction sometimes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I thought Disney already owned Star Trek?

CBS.

And it would take a fuuuuuuck ton of money for them to let it go.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I study tech stuff outside of work, but my rule is basically that it has to be something I want to learn even if I had a different job. Though, currently it’s just good timing because I was getting interested in cloud stuff before I started at AWS. So, it’s a bit of a no brainer to keep going down that path.

If I need to study something solely because work needs me to, they need to give me study hours. Fortunately this and my previous job have been good about giving me daily study hours.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Most[because I can't account for "all"] early post 9/11 global alliance special forces deployment into and out of Afghanistan happened from that airfield.

Cough I had to parachute in and march 12 miles to get our gear and another 5 to the burnt out remains of a helicopter base

But I shouldn't talk about that

I know I can probably point to the Corps for my work ethic {as I probably had it before then but being pushed to work with what you have and be creative with how you get it done} I think I have anywhere from 4 to 6 hours of OT this week because my managers are idiots but they know they can push me to get it done

• Options
    because i work in a large financial institution i have finaly gotten my email on the conservatibe mail lists and holy shit did i get a ton in the last two day sand let me tell ya is it sickening to read even the first few lines to determine they are exactly what i think they are

all of them start with "Patriot" or "Loyal Patriot" or a few sparkling "God-Fearing Patriot" and all of them are just begging for cash excuse me now i must puke

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Had work dinner on company dime

Was delicious and rewarding after a lot of stress

But also revealed the thick, veiny cock of trouble we're gagging on and how it belongs to another department. I wish i was exaggerating but when people in secure positions quit, shit is fucked.

Was also rewarding to hear, we didnt loose that contract because of, we lost it because the client contact is dancing vaudeville to make thwir budget work and we're the schmucks getting pied.

Also, here's several more contracts that we lost because of the cock mentioned earlier.

Made me want to stay with my team even more and leave the company sooner

• Options
    Oh Hey, Microsoft's safelinks now show the real address in Outlook when you mouse over them.

Yeaaah. Somehow I don't think this "$18,000" in federal student aid is coming from a website in India.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    because i work in a large financial institution i have finaly gotten my email on the conservatibe mail lists and holy shit did i get a ton in the last two day sand let me tell ya is it sickening to read even the first few lines to determine they are exactly what i think they are

all of them start with "Patriot" or "Loyal Patriot" or a few sparkling "God-Fearing Patriot" and all of them are just begging for cash excuse me now i must puke

Congrats you've infiltrated the "patriot" group. Go get some money from them before they figure you out.

https://youtu.be/l_LeJfn_qW0

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

text:
    Tip for younger folks in the workforce -- when you take PTO, anticipate how it will impact the team and try as hard as possible to minimize any disruption. And realize that there are going to be times that you just....shouldn't take PTO.
    12:26 PM · May 6, 2021
    Share this Tweet

Gore Vidal Sassoon
    @JimmyJazz1968
    Replying to @privilegelog
    Why don't you 'log' my nuts, Scrooge McFuck
    5:20 PM · May 6, 2021

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Employers providing training rather than expecting you to do it on your own time and/or dime? What do you think this is, the 20th century?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I get the sentiment the person's trying to express, but most of the vitriol should get pointed at someone that replied to him instead:

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If you don't pay me specifically for taking work emails on my personal time, guess what I'm not taking.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I get the sentiment the person's trying to express, but most of the vitriol should get pointed at someone that replied to him instead:

Honestly fuck em both. If ONE employee taking time is so hard, that's not on that employee to work more to make it easier, that management is making the choice to run lean and deal with the potholes of people leaving/quitting/sick/vacation. Plan your vacation in advance etc. But a month+out especially it really shouldn't be a permission thing. It's just "I'll be taking this time, you should plan for that."

And Lord the bootlickers in these comments. Your co workers aren't the ones exploiting you, your boss is. And if you pick up for shirkers you're just doing your bosses job there too.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It baffles me when people look at work emails when not on the clock. My own mother does this!

"Yeah but I'm not responding to them unless it's an emergency" is her excuse but she's a study coordinator for cancer drugs, there is literally never going to be an emergency so demanding it cannot wait until normal working hours as opposed to the Korean client emailing her at 1 in the morning California time.

• Options
    I just leave my wife's phone number as my contact. She's instructed to become angry when asked about me and state "I ain't see that asshole since I tried to drag him out of the casino 5 days ago." When I'm actually on the couch playing videogames.

• Options
    "he's neck deep in the neighbor lady's cooch, what the hell y'all want him fer?"

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    1388121095597854725-png__700.jpg

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    US work culture (I can't say "ethic" because it's not ethical, IMO) is deeply fucked up.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    My work is lucky i check emails during work hours let alone outside of work hours.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am an hourly employee and the shit my boss expects me and my teammates to do is beyond what a salaried person should be doing, thankfully my colleagues and I are on the same page with regards to telling him "nope"

Checking email for "urgents" arranging coverage for our own PTO,

Motherfucker, that's your job

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    "he's neck deep in the neighbor lady's cooch, what the hell y'all want him fer?"

Neck deep? Have you not read about The Stig's extensive spelunking and cave diving experience?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

And this American one is probably followed by "I have just been fired from my job for not being a 'Team player'"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

Neck deep? Have you not read about The Stig's extensive spelunking and cave diving experience?

no, please link same

• Options
    expendable wrote: »

And this American one is probably followed by "I have just been fired from my job for not being a 'Team player'"

Please there is no need to make up outlandish scenarios. We have real examples that are even worse!

https://abcnews.go.com/News/york-mom-fired-donating-kidney-boss/story?id=16195691
    April 23, 2012 -- A New York Long Island woman said she was fired after she donated a kidney to help save the life of her boss.

Debbie Stevens, a 47-year-old divorced mother of two, filed a formal complaint with the New York State Human Rights Commission last Friday, claiming her boss used her for her organ then fired her "after the woman got what she wanted." Stevens' boss, 61-year-old Jackie Brucia, is one of the West Islip controllers for Atlantic Automotive Group, a billion-dollar dealership operator. Brucia hired Stevens in January 2009 as an assistant.