As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Man, going after The Empire when playing as Rakarth was a dumb move. Karl's settlements don't have good beasts and I'm only finding wolves and harpies everywhere else. The Empire is nearly defeated so it's not worth pulling out but man was a disappointing lay Karl is. I don't imagine Louie will have much for me either. I think my next target is going to have to be the doughnut. The lesser elves keep sending half strength crapstacks at me and I'm getting sick of it. I also need more dragons. 6 of them in Rakarth's army just isn't enough.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    High Elf Settlements give you black dragons. Norsca settlements give you Mammoths. I suspect Lizardmen will yield Carnosaurs if you ever get to them. Empire/Brettonia will give you wolves and exploding squigs. (mostly wolves)

Kruite on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Had a similar experience invading the Reikland. Think it works better if you take as much of Bretonnia as you can before invading Reikland but it's still boring. Didn't help that it took me forever to get a fire sorceress hero. Beast magic sucks for sieges and they take forever. A fire wizard would really help speed it up.

Thinking about abandoning this campaign for Lohkir after reading good things about his campaign. His black ark is bugged to give supply lines but you get so much loot from sacking it's probably not a big deal.

danx on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    total warhammer 3: elsa's revengence

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I must object to the OP's exhortations to distrust Cao Cao, the most trustworthy and honest person in all of China.

Why he even gave Dong Zhuo the Seven Star Sword in the middls of the night as proof of his trustworthiness.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Three Kingdoms lately.
    Had a nice bunch of interesting stories.

I sent one guy off to map China and get some trade going and he accidentally antagonised nearly the entire continent into declaring war on me (I didnt get military access and didnt notice the penalties for trespassing stacking up)

I managed to swipe Diaochan and get her to be the wife of my heir, then have her watch Lu Bu get clowned repeatedly in duels for laughs. She has a skill that does -100% melee evasion and armour, so i'd cast that and watch as he would get dropped nearly instantly.

I had several huge battles (like 6 full stacks going at each other) where victory was pulled by the skin of my teeth and only about 300 of my guys would survive.

There were actually 4 Kingdoms during my game. Myself (Kingdom of Yan), Dong Zhou, and Wu at first, I took out Dong Zhou and Cao Cao took the opportunity to declare himself Emperor of Wei as by then he was in control of most of South East China

I discovered I hate the Nanman with a passion and that the auto-resolve is super heavily weighted in their favour.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Alright prettied up the OP, figured the trailers will speak for themselves and just a small note on the Warhammer trilogy building on itself by owning past games.

Anything else that should be added to the OP?

• Options
    I think I hit the snowball in my Rakarth campaign last night. I secured Karond Kar after getting board of sacking Slaver's Gate. I left an army in Slaver's Gate and marched another up north to abuse Deadwood and Aghol up in the northern wastes of Naggaroth. There are a couple of settlements up there that made perfect sack cities. I want a new monster doomstack to use as I make my way to the High Elf lands. I also finished off the empire. I'm going to leave an army behind to keep the local riffraff at bay while Rakarth makes his way to Ulthuan.

Some things I've discovered

You can sack a city over and over again to build up mammoths and dragons.
    Raiding the Chaos wastes will sometimes give you manticores
    Raiding forests gives you wolves

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    These fucking vampires. Every single fucking turn, here comes an entire stack of skeletons and ghouls. Just...stop fucking cheating. Just lose gracefully.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How is Three Kingdoms these days

haven't played since the Naman expansion

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    How is Three Kingdoms these days

haven't played since the Naman expansion

Fucking awesome. Although artillery is still a bit OP it's no longer archer-showdown extravaganza. Post-revamp all factions are pretty interesting too, although Cao Cao is even more OP. A world betrayed and Fates Divided have really spiced up the Han game.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    One of the things they did was given a hidden bonus for sword cavalry against archers.

So you will see those cav perform very well plowing down archers but not so well against infantry

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    One of the things they did was given a hidden bonus for sword cavalry against archers.

So you will see those cav perform very well plowing down archers but not so well against infantry

Also, factions like Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, Sun Ce and Liu Chong have gotten decent melee cav they didn't have when 3k launched. Sabre militia cav is mediocre at best and the regular sabre cav tends to be unlocked pretty late.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYIHoBb3kM
    Improved Visuals
    ROME REMASTERED brings the classic Rome visuals up to date, with 4K optimization, ultra-widescreen and native UHD resolution support. This visual upgrade extends across a multitude of features, including re-modeled buildings and objects, and environment effects like dust clouds and heat haze. The refreshed campaign maps also boasts new high-resolution models, and units have been remodelled and retextured to look their very best on the battlefield.

Modern Features
    ROME REMASTERED includes a host of modern features and improvements to existing mechanics. The in-game camera has been enhanced, including map rotation and wider zoom level in Campaign mode. Heat maps and new icon overlays have been added for gameplay mechanics such as diplomacy and security. In Battle, the new tactical map, unit displays and range markers give you greater command over Rome’s battlefields.

Enhanced Game Mechanics
    Players can now expand their armies and experience 16 additional factions that were previously locked, giving a grand total of 38 playable factions. In a first for Total War, you can now take your favourite faction to battle against friends in cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, macOS and Linux. A whole new agent type has also been added to the fray; Merchants can be sent all over the world to create trade links, access resources and buy out rivals to increase your income and assert your faction’s economic power.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Hmmmm. $30 for a new coat of paint on a 17 year old game? Lots of mentions about graphics improvements, no mention at all of AI improvements. I dunno.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'll probably get it on sale.

Wonder if they will do Medieval 2 then. Kinda odd they went with Rome, as there already is a recent Rome game.

• Options
    I'm not sure why they went through the trouble unless the Rome2 engine is that bad. They could just add merchants and improve the graphics/ui for that game

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Hmmmm. $30 for a new coat of paint on a 17 year old game? Lots of mentions about graphics improvements, no mention at all of AI improvements. I dunno.

50% off if you own the original makes it a lot more palatable.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    That’s a big *shrug*for me.

Medieval 2? Sure, I would love that. Rome? Was groundbreaking for its time, but I’m not sure what it really has to offer from a gameplay standpoint in 2020.

I’d be much more excited about a grand campaign rework in Rome 2 with lessons learned from later games and content (Like more complete rosters for non-roman and non-diodachi factions, a better map like the later Rome 2 campaigns, horde mechanics imported from Attilla for the steppe tribes and germanic barbarians, etc).

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I would imagine it's a port of that mobile version of Rome. The code is probably simpler to adjust than opening the Pandora's Box that would be Rome 2 and trying to bring that up to snuff.

• Options
    They’ve been open to dlc for Rome 2 fairly recently, and you wouldn’t need to do much...

1. Implement horde mechanics for germanic and steppe factions (the biggest thing, but those factions just don’t feel right without it).
    2. Migrate over to the revised map used in the Augustus and Empire divided campaigns (a much better map for a number of reasons)
    3. Go over every playable faction roster with a fine toothed comb with an eye towards bringing them all up to the standards of the Desert Kingdoms and Empire Divided DLC (some are already there, some don’t need much work to get there, some need a lot)

Aside from item 1, that is not really all that much to do, Empire Divided and Rise of the Republic were probably more work on the whole.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why they went through the trouble unless the Rome2 engine is that bad. They could just add merchants and improve the graphics/ui for that game

The rome 2 engine is probably that bad. Go play the original WH1 in WH1 and compare that to WH2.5 or Three Kingdoms It’s like night and day. And rome 2 was (pretty sure) worse than WH1.

Rome 1 is almost unplayable on a modern system. Even just porting the assets into a new engine would do a huge amount to its playability. Though the main problem it’s likely to have is that it’s a historical game and thus will never be as interesting as free herpes harpies

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Harpies must have large hit boxes because they get chewed up alot in melee for such a large defense stat

• Options
    Harpies must have large hit boxes because they get chewed up alot in melee for such a large defense stat

They have a tendency to get surrounded when they dive into combat. Your MD stat is effectively 0 if you are being attacked from behind.

• Options
    There is also the part where they attack with the entire formation, and the entire formation gets attacked in return.
    But yeah, harpies are still not great. Rakarths MVPs are Giant Wolves. Get all the advantages of light cavalry, with none of the drawbacks (So you have a spear? That's cute).

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Harpies probably get better as you stack more of them not only because of bonuses but because flying units engage with the entire formation.

What that means is if 4 units of greatswords engage a unit of swordsmen the DPS is still about one line worth of greatswords unless you flank. But if four units of harpies engage 1 unit of swordsmen your DPS if 4 units of harpies. So you eat their ranged units first and then you eat the rest of them.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Rome total war is something I played all through my final year of high school and have fond memories of it, but not sure what would be the appeal of a remaster really.

Also I do most of my gaming on consoles, I really only use my pc for total war games (I imagine a lot of people are like me), and one area I would love to see a remaster would be a console launch.

It’s always weird that people balk at the idea of a console total war. They aren’t twitch games (outside of multiplayer), and many many far more complex pc UI strategy or like city builder games with much more of a reliance on keyboard and mouse buttons have come to consoles and been perfectly fine, and often these ports are from much smaller studios with far more niche appeal

Especially with the next gen consoles power I continue to find it super strange that creative assembly doesn’t seem to have any interest in console ports. I know it wouldn’t be a simple project but I feel like they would sell gangbusters

Prohass on
  • Options
    I'm probably not getting Rome: Remastered. I tried playing Medieval 2 recently (like, 6 months ago) and the lack of self-reinforcing units was a something I didn't find annoying at the time but it was very much an annoyance now. I think the "units will reinforce automaticly" was a new feature in Rome 2? So that's probably how far back I'm willing to go when it comes to Total War titles, regardless of how annoying I found "Only a limited number of generals, but what about garrison armies?" back then.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    IIRC the modern automatic replenishment system was introduced in Napoleon.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Rome 1 was my fav TW for a long time but eh watching Legends stream it looks boring. Good in it's time. I mainly played mods from the old tw forums but can't remember their names. There was an SPQR faction mod that was quite good.

I'll probably still get it if it includes the soundtrack though. I remember that being fantastic.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Burnage wrote: »

50% off if you own the original makes it a lot more palatable.

So do I text them a picture of the cd case or
    :lol:

IMO they should just give the Europa Barbarorum guys a bit of cash and a new engine. I think they'd do incredible things.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    So do I text them a picture of the cd case or
    :lol:

Saw claims on reddit that some old Rome keys work on steam so you could just try typing the cd key in if you have it. It should be on the back of the manual.

Apparently this works for Medieval 2 also.

danx on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I... don't get it. Why would you remaster a super old game that already has a fairly recently released sequel? Unless you're basically admitting that the sequel is garbage and you want to make a bit of money off of the nostalgia for the old version which was actually good... is that what's happening here?

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I’d go with the theory that it’s based off the iOS version, particularly las feral interactive seem to be the ones doing it. Most of the modernisation work has likely already been done, so not a massive hurdle to get a steam version ready (in theory at least).

I’ll always see Rome 1 as their ‘breakout’ game. First one in full 3D and they absolutely nailed it.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    I’d go with the theory that it’s based off the iOS version, particularly las feral interactive seem to be the ones doing it. Most of the modernisation work has likely already been done, so not a massive hurdle to get a steam version ready (in theory at least).

I’ll always see Rome 1 as their ‘breakout’ game. First one in full 3D and they absolutely nailed it.

Yeah. Medieval 2 probably would have been more of a slam dunk though.

But if this does well enough they'll maybe revisit that one.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Medieval 3 is the next historical title. But I wouldn't be upset with an Empire 2, though.

• Options
    I always preferred Rome 2 to 1. Now granted I picked up Rome 2 years after release when it had been mostly fixed. Still I just can't see myself going back to play Rome 1, even with this "remastering" work. Especially when Warhammer has taken the formula and turned it up to 11.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I always preferred Rome 2 to 1. Now granted I picked up Rome 2 years after release when it had been mostly fixed. Still I just can't see myself going back to play Rome 1, even with this "remastering" work. Especially when Warhammer has taken the formula and turned it up to 11.

Yeah, most of the hate for Rome 2 was for its condition at release. Which by now most of those flaws have been fixed... And the ones that haven’t were mostly worse in Rome 1 anyway (like if you think some of the non-rome unit rosters in Rome 2 are sucky and unfinished, in Rome 1 a lot of them were like 3 or 4 units.)

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

But I wouldn't be surprised if Medieval 3 is the next historical title. But I wouldn't be upset with an Empire 2, though.

I would overpay for an Empire 2. Especially if they make it more iterative, expanding mechanics and locations with further expansions. They've shown that they can really develop things over time.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »

I would overpay for an Empire 2. Especially if they make it more iterative, expanding mechanics and locations with further expansions. They've shown that they can really develop things over time.

Yep, Empire was their first attempt at gunpowder units and it shows, but by Fall of the Samurai they'd ironed most of the issues out. I'm confident that they could remake Empire and have it not suck.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Empire was a game that really needed a big ass mortal empires style map and the tech just wasn’t there yet.

Jealous Deva on
This discussion has been closed.