As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I would expect chaos dwarves as Warhammer 3 DLC at some point also, but they haven't announced anything yet

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If game 2 was any indication, all the DLC you bought for the previous games will carry over to game 3. That blood DLC is dumb but at least I don't have to buy it again. I can't think of ANY other AAA developer that carries forward DLC like this. If this were EA, they would have been charging us for each DLC pack again for each game, on top of loot boxes.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    1. The dwarf FLC for Warhammer 2 is very good.
    2. The Vortex campaign specific mechanics are not super fun, but they don't ruin the game either. Warhammer 2 is just a lot better than Warhammer 1 (especially spellcasting), and if you don't want to vortex there is still Mortal Empires (the megamap) or the many DLC/FLC races. Vampire Coast, Tomb Kings, Dwarfs, Oxyotl (Lizardmen), Beastmen, Throt the Unclean (skaven) and Wood elves that do their own thing that's different (and good). Nakai and Wulfhart (hunter and the beast DLC) are ...not so good though.

The Nakai dlc does give the Empire early game archers - they're low range, but gives the empire some cheap ranged firepower when it's needed most. The Huntsman General lord is also a fairly good early game unit. Neither is essential and I'd mostly recommend that DLC if you want to fill out the Empires roster *and* want a challenge campaign (Wulfharts campaign). Other than that its mostly skippable.

The Ancient Kroxigor is also a very good lord but I hate TWW Kroxigors so it doesn't count. :P

danx on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I'm really pondering getting back into this, I very much enjoyed total war Warhammer 1, but the campaign of 2 seemed to be getting lots of negative reviews etc so I never bought it. Is the verdict now that it's very solid? Does it work even if I really just want to play dwarves ;)

1. The dwarf FLC for Warhammer 2 is very good.
    2. The Vortex campaign specific mechanics are not super fun, but they don't ruin the game either. Warhammer 2 is just a lot better than Warhammer 1 (especially spellcasting), and if you don't want to vortex there is still Mortal Empires (the megamap) or the many DLC/FLC races. Vampire Coast, Tomb Kings, Dwarfs, Oxyotl (Lizardmen), Beastmen, Throt the Unclean (skaven) and Wood elves that do their own thing that's different (and good). Nakai and Wulfhart (hunter and the beast DLC) are ...not so good though.

Yeah, I'd seen everyone having a lot of fun but early warnings of vortex campaign mechanics being annoying and mortal empires not quite working had put me off. I think I'll pick up Warhammer 2 before 3 comes out and give the dwarves another outing.

Though, looking up Thorek Ironbrow led me to reading about the End Times again, which reminded me that tabletop Warhammer is dead :( thank goodness for total war! Hopefully after they keep making total war Warhammer games forever.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Honestly, even playing the Vortex isn't terrible. You can mostly just completely ignore it if you're so inclined, because there's an alternate conquest win condition. And a lot of times, I don't play a campaign through to victory regardless, I just play to the point that I get bored.

• Options
    If you already have the first game then you can just skip the vortex and play Mortal Empires instead which has no ritual mechanics. The vortex campaign is not great but I think it's overstated how bad it is if you know how to approach it. Just don't do the race. Do all the rituals one after another near the end. The AI can't win the race because each time they complete the ritual you get to intervene in a quest battle which knocks them out of the running if you win.

Or play races that don't interact with the vortex like Dwarfs, Tomb Kings (DLC) or Bretonia. On the vortex map those campaigns are great. Tomb Kings on vortex feature the best campaigns in the game hands down . They have a variety of difficult start positions ranging from Settra being somewhat comfortable to extremely difficult for Arkhan. The campaign goal is to collect the books of Nagash. It offer some choice in how you tackle it and is a lot more focused than the Vortex race while still being open ended. It goes as slow as you want.

I'm not sure they will ever top that DLC in Warhammer 3. It's going to be hard to beat a faction with Tomb Scorpions, Necrosphinx, Khemrian Warsphinx, Bone Giants, Hierotitans, Tomb Princes, Casket of Souls, Ushabti, Settra, Arkhan and the others. Those units are just fun. Tomb Scorpions getting stuck in gates breaks my heart though.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The Vortex map is loads better than the ME map. Which is just too big. All of the non-vortex campaigns on the vortex map are great. And the main problem with the vortex campaign is that

1) it can feel hard to beat it even if it isn't.
    2) its still hella long.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    ME's main problem is that certain areas of the map that are also present in the Vortex end up squished together and can feel very claustrophobic (Lustria primarily). Aside from that, it has more potential for shenanigans across the world.

Vortex as a vortex race can be annoying but you can actually 100% ignore it until the very end, since you always get a last ditch spoiler battle to beat anyone ahead of you in the race, so just win those.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love the more detailed Vortex map as well. Would rather have my neck of the woods be fleshed out than have some provinces I will never interact with rendered.

Hell, if I could play the Total Warhammer 1 map in two I would.

• Options
    ME also needs alternate victory conditions to give us something else to aim for. Some variety in the end game crisis wouldn't go amiss even if it's a different type of Chaos invasion. The end game gets really stale.

It's kind of a problem with the strat game genre though so idk. Maybe shake up the mid game so the end game shakes out differently?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    My secret wish for WH3 is that they allow players to create and share custom victory conditions to create unique campaigns. You want a campaign where the victory condition is razing Lothern as the Dawi? Have at it.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    danx wrote: »
    ME also needs alternate victory conditions to give us something else to aim for. Some variety in the end game crisis wouldn't go amiss even if it's a different type of Chaos invasion. The end game gets really stale.

It's kind of a problem with the strat game genre though so idk. Maybe shake up the mid game so the end game shakes out differently?

Almost all of the recent DLC Lords have better ME wincons than the starter ones. They learned a bit from the conquer capitals nonsense that Destruction factions get.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The thing that kills ME campaigns for me is looking at my stupid checklist to see what specific locations I need to take and factions I need to exterminate in order for the game to arbitrarily consider me the winner. I like campaigns like Bretonnia for that reason; more open ended, but still easy to keep track of, and very thematically appropriate.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The Vampire Coast vortex campaign is great as well. Has one of the coolest final battles.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Deadfall wrote: »
    The Vampire Coast vortex campaign is great as well. Has one of the coolest final battles.

The battle itself is so-so. The battlefield visual effects are the coolest of all battles in the warhammer universe (so far).

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Thorek Ironbrow ME campaign, it's literally the only one where I have gotten an official win (albeit the short campaign). I'm actually kind of surprised at the level of effort that went into the Dwarf revamp and associated FLC lord, it's the sort of thing you would normally expect to pay for.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was going through the FAQ for Warhammer 3 because I was curious about this game being on Gamepass but also the obvious link the game will have with the previous games and DLC.
    Can I purchase DLC for Total War: WARHAMMER games I own on one store on another (and vice versa)?

Currently it’s not possible to track the different Total War: WARHAMMER content you own across different storefronts. So, for example, if you buy Total War: WARHAMMER on the Epic Games Store, you will also need to buy the DLC on the Epic Games Store in order to use it.

The same applies for claiming the free combined map DLC – you would need to own both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II on the same store in order to claim it.

I can forsee much, much griping about people who got 'ripped off' by playing the game on Gamepass and not being able to play the big combined map campaign essentially for free. Worse still those that decide (for what ever reason) to buy it on Epic or even through the MS Game store.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    It's unfortunate, but I can't really say I'm surprised. If nothing else, I would think the storefronts wouldn't want people to have that much freedom to compare prices and choose piecemeal.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    It's unfortunate, but I can't really say I'm surprised. If nothing else, I would think the storefronts wouldn't want people to have that much freedom to compare prices and choose piecemeal.

My assumption would be conflicting storage and compression methods, folders, and so on, but I don't really know anything about it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at when I said "if nothing else"; I figured there were probably technical reasons it'd be unfeasible, but not being very knowledgeable about that I figured I'd just point out that there are plausible business reasons it was a no-go as well.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was more just amused by the amount of reactions I saw of 'wow Gamepass I get to play it for free!' which is certainly accurate. But there's going to be a lot of crossover with people who own the previous games, and those people are going to want to play the huge campaign because that's ahuge drawcard of the series.

Really feels like Gamepass in this instance could generate more bad community reaction than they're expecting.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was more just amused by the amount of reactions I saw of 'wow Gamepass I get to play it for free!' which is certainly accurate. But there's going to be a lot of crossover with people who own the previous games, and those people are going to want to play the huge campaign because that's ahuge drawcard of the series.

Really feels like Gamepass in this instance could generate more bad community reaction than they're expecting.

As they get closer, I think they will get louder about it. Will Gamepass also give Ogres?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    As they get closer, I think they will get louder about it. Will Gamepass also give Ogres?

I think that depends on if Gamepass will automatically get all the DLC. (I don't have Gamepass, but how does it handle DLC in general?)

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Gamepass generally gets no DLC you have to buy it all separately. That is primarily their model in the same way that EPICs free games work. (here is the game for free if you like it why not buy the DLC at full price?). The exception is the EAplay games that come with gamepass because for some weird fucking reason EA gives you the DLC for all the games you can play on EAplay which is included in gamepass.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ME's main problem is that certain areas of the map that are also present in the Vortex end up squished together and can feel very claustrophobic (Lustria primarily). Aside from that, it has more potential for shenanigans across the world.

Vortex as a vortex race can be annoying but you can actually 100% ignore it until the very end, since you always get a last ditch spoiler battle to beat anyone ahead of you in the race, so just win those.

Something I want to add to this, the AI does not actually play the Vortex campaign. They are designed so that they progress in the Vortex campaign based on the player's progression. So if the player ignores the Vortex campaign completely, the AI will eventually start ignoring it completely as well because the player will fall behind far enough that the AI stops getting the campaign resources.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    New Battle Features video and blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOJLmVnFmhc

Lots of cool stuff.
    • Flying toggle. (Units must be outside combat for a few seconds to take off.)
    • Troops (with "long weapons" like Halberds and Spears) can brace to receive charges, marked with an icon.
    • "Lazy health bar" lets you see how quickly your unit is losing health.
    • Health spells have been reworked a bit. (Rate relative to max health/second, rather than a flat value/second.)
    • Dealing Fire damage to a unit that is healing will blunt said healing.
    • Slow casting option will automatically make the game enter 1/2 speed while casting.
    • Magic Resistance has been replaced by Spell Resistance, meaning that Magic Attacks are now not protected against.
    • Quick select key for any idle units.
    • Hotkeys for battle abilities, as well as Guard/Skirmish/Fire-at-will stances.
    • Additional options for clearly seeing obscured units (in trees, or behind buildings).
    • In campaign, when you set up for one battle that formation will be the default for how your army is set up in your next battle.
    • In multiplayer, rather than picking a Subfaction you just pick the colour you want to play (so you can have Tyrion leading an army in Caledor's livery, etc.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    HHHHHHNNNNNGGGGG yes this is what I am talking about
    New Battle Features video and blog.

snip

Lots of cool stuff.
    • Flying toggle. (Units must be outside combat for a few seconds to take off.)
    • Troops (with "long weapons" like Halberds and Spears) can brace to receive charges, marked with an icon.
    • "Lazy health bar" lets you see how quickly your unit is losing health.
    • Health spells have been reworked a bit. (Rate relative to max health/second, rather than a flat value/second.)
    • Dealing Fire damage to a unit that is healing will blunt said healing.
    • Slow casting option will automatically make the game enter 1/2 speed while casting.
    • Magic Resistance has been replaced by Spell Resistance, meaning that Magic Attacks are now not protected against.
    • Quick select key for any idle units.
    • Hotkeys for battle abilities, as well as Guard/Skirmish/Fire-at-will stances.
    • Additional options for clearly seeing obscured units (in trees, or behind buildings).
    • In campaign, when you set up for one battle that formation will be the default for how your army is set up in your next battle.
    • In multiplayer, rather than picking a Subfaction you just pick the colour you want to play (so you can have Tyrion leading an army in Caledor's livery, etc.)

*dies*

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Now we just need a "Signal General Chase" button.

• Options
    Some other tidbits from Simone.
    • There's a rematch button after a campaign battle.
    • Healing spells can now heal & resurrect things like artillery/chariots if the spell supports resurrection.

*dies*

I will die twice if it means unit cards maintain the order we placed them in the battle in addition to maintaining the formation. They have been trying to do that for years.

They also added thorns/reflected damage to certain units (and spells). It's listed under bracing so I'm assuming it's not active for spears and halberds that are not braced so you can still rear charge those units in combat if needed.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I wonder if this means we’ll be able to get up to the same chicanery with pikes that folks did back in shogun 2

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    For the bracing, is it still automatic (and now just indicated by an icon) or do you have to hit a button to make it happen?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I dare to dream that unit cards will stay how we arrange them.

But that was probably a bridge too far

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    For the bracing, is it still automatic (and now just indicated by an icon) or do you have to hit a button to make it happen?

I believe it's still automatic, they're just indicating that they are in fact braced now.

Kinda worried with the fire countering any healing that it's just gonna cause it to be even more must take in multiplayer matches. All undead factions have a weakness to fire and then countering healing on top of that is going to severely hurt Vampire Counts and probably Nagash whenever his faction comes out.

• Options
    I never understood the Undead weakness to fire.

They're reanimated dead bodies. They don't care that they're on fire. Okay, the heroes and lords would. But a skeleton that's only moving because a Necromancer is puppeteering it? It just keeps being puppeteered.

• Options
    edited November 2021

They're reanimated dead bodies. They don't care that they're on fire. Okay, the heroes and lords would. But a skeleton that's only moving because a Necromancer is puppeteering it? It just keeps being puppeteered.

I think the idea originally (ie, long before Warhammer) only applied to reanimated corpses (ghouls and zombies, not so much skeletons or ghosts), and came from the notion that they would burn quicker than living flesh due to being dried out.

But yeah, it became sort of a default assumption in fantasy settings that is applied even when it doesn't make much sense.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Why do witches burn?

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »

I believe it's still automatic, they're just indicating that they are in fact braced now.

Kinda worried with the fire countering any healing that it's just gonna cause it to be even more must take in multiplayer matches. All undead factions have a weakness to fire and then countering healing on top of that is going to severely hurt Vampire Counts and probably Nagash whenever his faction comes out.

@Karoz To be fair, the video said that it will 'slow down healing', not 'counter any healing'. So just a reduction, not prevention.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I think the idea originally (ie, long before Warhammer) only applied to reanimated corpses (ghouls and zombies, not so much skeletons or ghosts), and came from the notion that they would burn quicker than living flesh due to being dried out.

But yeah, it became sort of a default assumption in fantasy settings that is applied even when it doesn't make much sense.

Also mummies.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    And frankensteins.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.