As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Various Stages of Making [Arts and Crafts]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Been making some smaller bags based on what I do for market bags

I'm calling them "foraging bags"

Anyway i decided to decorate this one a bit with duplicate stitch and add a top flap. Probably gonna move the buttons further inward since I don't like how they sit currently.

6jxjq6dpy1ds.jpeg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ya'llllllll. Out of sheer blind luck, I was able to find a copy of a book I've been wanting to buy for over a decade. Someone was selling it on Amazon and I snapped it up. It's so rare I half expected that they weren't going to actually send it to me, but it was delivered today:

vaxfpt9v7ppl.jpg

Now if I can by some miracle find the companion book, The Basic Body, I might just die of joy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    What a name

Lisa L Lichtenfels

knitdan on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wonder what the middle L stands for

Laser hopefully

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It took me a while to figure out those images are showing a progression. I thought it was examples of the kinds of heads you could make. You know, skull, android, weird flower alien, normal human. The standard variety of heads.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It took me a while to figure out those images are showing a progression. I thought it was examples of the kinds of heads you could make. You know, skull, android, weird flower alien, normal human. The standard variety of heads.

Goddamnit it is, isn't it. I was hoping to see more weird flower aliens

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Right thread this time:

Bottle opener hardware came in!
    Uv7sEEf.jpg
    x0wFxQ8.jpg

I kinda like it on the diagonal, but will need to open some bottles and also try the opening being rotated to be along a flat edge as well.
    Pretty dang happy with how this turned out. Need to finish the rest, but machine is acting funny, so that's all on hold

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    At my job we've recently hired an external consultant living in Germany. I've talked to her about my leatherwork and making wallets and bags, and she's coming to the office next month, same time as her birthday. So I figured I'd take some of the leftover leather I have that's too thick to use for wallets and knock something out as a present.

pazf23k7jbpq.png
    Incredibly simple bag. Literally just a square with a zipper. The fingerprints near the bottom are because I just applied leather grease before taking the pic, they're gone now.

qzji5jy8pz8v.png
    Olive-green suede lining and the edges are colored black. I still need to do the strap as well, but that should be fairly straightforward.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    This is my next project

ibtfw2qhvyyr.jpg

I'm excited for this one because there are LEDs behind the fireplace, candles, and tree lights

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Xaquin pointing it out to me, I was able to purchase The Basic Body via an eBay auction. I don't know how it happened that both of the books I've been searching for since I was 25 became available within a couple of weeks of each other, but I'm so happy!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Trying something different with how I finish up my bags

I like how it turned out

isjhrubow9ko.jpeg
    md8zlq6j3jxy.jpeg

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Thanks to Xaquin pointing it out to me, I was able to purchase The Basic Body via an eBay auction. I don't know how it happened that both of the books I've been searching for since I was 25 became available within a couple of weeks of each other, but I'm so happy!

If these are so seminal (even if niche) as you are implying, surely scanned copies are floating around?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Thanks to Xaquin pointing it out to me, I was able to purchase The Basic Body via an eBay auction. I don't know how it happened that both of the books I've been searching for since I was 25 became available within a couple of weeks of each other, but I'm so happy!

If these are so seminal (even if niche) as you are implying, surely scanned copies are floating around?

Maybe, but when used for artistic reference, physical copies of things are often way more useful than looking at a screen. I do a lot of cross stitch and have tried using a tablet for patterns but it's just so much more convenient to have a printed copy. Doesnt matter where I put it, I dont have to worry about it rotating, or being unreadable due to glare/viewing angle, or falling and breaking, I can mark it up easily, etc etc. My sheet of paper never ran out of battery midway through a project lol

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I prefer using digital patterns for cross stitch. Zooming in and out is convenient. Also being able to un-highlight areas if I've made a mistake and have to unpick some stitches is nice.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Maybe, but when used for artistic reference, physical copies of things are often way more useful than looking at a screen. I do a lot of cross stitch and have tried using a tablet for patterns but it's just so much more convenient to have a printed copy. Doesnt matter where I put it, I dont have to worry about it rotating, or being unreadable due to glare/viewing angle, or falling and breaking, I can mark it up easily, etc etc. My sheet of paper never ran out of battery midway through a project lol

Print it, then.

• Options

Oh believe me, I've looked, if there are scanned copies they're held by art professors to share with students, and not a one of them has uploaded a copy.

That said, I purchased a book scanner so that I can upload digital copies for others to use.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I prefer using digital patterns for cross stitch. Zooming in and out is convenient. Also being able to un-highlight areas if I've made a mistake and have to unpick some stitches is nice.

Yeah, zoom is a strong entry in the 'pro' category. That was the main reason I tried a tablet in the first place; my brain prefers large patterns but my eyes do not.

• Options

Oh believe me, I've looked, if there are scanned copies they're held by art professors to share with students, and not a one of them has uploaded a copy.

That said, I purchased a book scanner so that I can upload digital copies for others to use.

I should also probably say that though these books are important and helpful to me, that fabric figure sculpture is a very niche kind of art that doesn't have a large following it the artistic respect that would get these books to be preserved. For example, the library of Congress is not keeping a copy of these.

I think in the eyes of the people who preserve books for arts' sake, retaining these books might be considered on the level of keeping a book that teaches you how to decorate boxes with modge podge and fabric from Joann's.

• Options

I should also probably say that though these books are important and helpful to me, that fabric figure sculpture is a very niche kind of art that doesn't have a large following it the artistic respect that would get these books to be preserved. For example, the library of Congress is not keeping a copy of these.

I think in the eyes of the people who preserve books for arts' sake, retaining these books might be considered on the level of keeping a book that teaches you how to decorate boxes with modge podge and fabric from Joann's.

There are dozens of us!

• Options
    edited July 2022

There are dozens of us!

If I were to guess, I would say that the sticking point for the art world is that what we're essentially discussing is dolls, even if what Lisa Lichtenfels makes are actually intricate and detailed sculpture. They're still dolls, and dolls are toys and it's hard for the "serious" world to consider dolls as equal to art.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022

There are dozens of us!

If I were to guess, I would say that the sticking point for the art world is that what we're essentially discussing is dolls, even if what Lisa Lichtenfels makes are actually intricate and detailed sculpture. They're still dolls, and dolls are toys and it's hard for the "serious" world to consider dolls as equal to art.

I would assume it has more to do with the "fine art / Craft" divide. Most of the information was probably held by craftspeople and not collated, and even when it was it was very small runs. For the most part, art or craft books don't get large runs. The ones that do are because they're either so light they're basically the equivalent of listicles or they're part of an academic course.

I know almost the entire accumulated knowledge of the wrought iron fence making craft in the US disappeared in the 1930s, and artists wanting to revive it in the 70s had to search out and reconstruct it.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    I've done a lot of stuff. I have 5 companion cube bottle openers in cherry wood currently. 2 are already spoken for. I'm about to run 1 in padauk (a red looking wood), 2 in hard maple, 2 in walnut, and one in sycamore.
    I'm going to try and do an elephant on the 5th axis after companion cubes are done.

I've also been (slowly) working on a cribbage board for @Cambiata
    7JRR9lW.jpg
    I still need to make a lid, find the magnets and glue them into the lid and the board, do some hand sanding, and then finish. I think they both look pretty great. The one she doesn't want will get listed on the etsy shop along with the other cherry wood one I did previously.

I also have a few dice vault things. 1 of the two canarywood (yellow-ish wood top left two) is claimed, as is the leopardwood one (top right). The rest are currently unclaimed at this point. The other woods are applewood (bottom left), wenge (top right), and spalted oak (bottom right).
    vy7F6Rz.jpg

I have two serving board thingies I made, but don't have pictures yet.

I also did some shifter knobs for my buddy. They still need to be sanded, but they look pretty good once they are all finished. I'll try and grab some pictures next time I'm there. Here's the part that comes off the machine:
    KRNe8RB.jpg

Pictures of companion cubes:
    wJzHIUS.jpg

• Options
    I think you can safely say:
    This was a triumph.
    Huge success.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That applewood dice vault looks really nice!

• Options
    Mmmm....padauk.

Just be sure to seal it quickly.

• Options
    Yeah, the padauk can fade pretty quick. Though I think this one is now my favorite.

Here's what I started with:
    2tBvdn6.jpg

Here's part after getting faced (left side of the picture didn't get faced):
    EGrFiar.jpg

Here's the part after all the milling:
    LHc1Stk.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Felted my top while blocking.

It still fits, miraculously, just a bit tighter and shorter than intended.

So angry at myself

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Yeah, the padauk can fade pretty quick. Though I think this one is now my favorite.
    Here's what I started with:
    2tBvdn6.jpg

Here's part after getting faced (left side of the picture didn't get faced):
    EGrFiar.jpg

Here's the part after all the milling:
    LHc1Stk.jpg

It's a beautiful wood with excellent properties, and your work with it is lovely.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I have no idea what that means. :D

• Options
    Blocking is when you make a knitted piece wet and stretch/pin it into shape and when it dries it stays that shape.

Felting is I think rubbing wool to make it into felt.

So I imagine ahava accidentally made a knitted top felty when blocking it. Which sounds super annoying.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I know very little about knitting, but traditional felting you do with raw wool and a water/drying process, get those fibers nice and densely stuck together

Presumably it would still work with wool fibers that have been spun into yarn if you're not careful

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

It still fits, miraculously, just a bit tighter and shorter than intended.

So angry at myself

:bro:

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thanks for the education, smof and Straightzi! :)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah so

Wool fibres have scales on a microscopic level. There are treatments that can be done to wool while prepping for spinning that will reduce/remove the scales and create wool that can handle *some* level of agitation. This is usually called "superwash" or "machine washable".

However, of the wool hasn't been descaled, you run the risk of felting. This is usually what happens when the fibres get put into hot water and then agitated/rubbed together, the scales on the fibre lock together and get tight and dense.

This can be a good thing if that's what's planned. Felted slippers, gloves, hats, etc are great. Felted soap is another big thing.

In a garment like my top, for instance, the felting fabric actually shrunk vertically by about 2". If I hadn't had a second yarn in the top that was superwash, the entire thing would have shrunk.

As it is, it still fits. But it's much more of a crop top fit, and the sleeves that I had planned on being puffy are now fitted.

So not a disaster of epic proportions, but still really bloody frustrating.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    lfhbsifujfu8.png

That's the best recreation of the original "finished object" that I can take to show the difference.

So it's actually maybe closer to 3" length lost? At least in the body.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    I felted a scarf once because I forgot it wasn't superwash wool

It's still usable but kind of stiff now

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Frustrating, but so glad it's still usable as a cute crop! ... Actually, I prefer the physical and color proportions post-blocking, so I hope you get good use of it.

Related: while I was still in NZ, my sister made a couple blousy boobwarmer crops and cajoled me into queuing one, with hers made from mohair held with wool. Mine will be suri, since I seem to react to mohair, but also I live in Texas, so who knows when that'll happen. I do not need that degree of insulating power much.

Look at this beautiful join!
    xhj510gucsxk.jpg
    Snip the ends, and it'll be pretty much invisible!

Except that I joined the new ball to my caston tail.... :bzz:

e: WHY IS THE BEE GONE

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    This is what I get for putting in effort -- I mostly just do a weaver's knot and call it good. Slash, this is why I tend to use wool so I can spit splice, no fuss no muss.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    this is where I sit and stare at that photo for a while and try to figure out if I know the dyer from down here.

I've been doing magic knot joins lately. Been loving them.

• Options
    Can you wash non-superwash wool in the machine if you use the "wool" setting?