As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Various Stages of Making [Arts and Crafts]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I guess it depends on how they'll be incorporated and what they're going with but absent that, I like the purple best followed by the ombre

I don't like the pink, it immediately makes me think of a dog penis.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Well, immediately after asking for advice, before waiting for an answer, I mixed the purple and pink together to get a color I call orchid, which is my favorite color. Then I did do ombre with that and a tiny bit of purple dye at the bottom:

kmir7qnkuo2y.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Ooh! Best of the lot, imho.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I did end up saturating the dye a lot more than I did on that initial pic. It's still the same orchid color I made, to the point that the original purple doesn't even show anymore. The dark end of the ombre is just the same dye deeply saturated. I used the same dye on the hooves, I just kept them in the vat long enough for them to turn nearly black.

64u1886q8yo4.jpg

Here's the lower legs and hooves together. The lower legs were the one area I kept light in color, because I only want a hint of that hair color so I don't have to dye her whole body:

tzuuzh3rqaj0.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Now that they're painted: With horns, or without?

55ygjtaquksk.jpg
    pwfdy85kunde.jpg

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I think with horns

I had a very productive weekend:
    O4eQW5r.jpg

Did sanding finish on a lot of projects.
    3 Big birds
    4 smaller birbs (need to do legs for all of them).
    3 long vaults (2 yellowheart, 1 cherry)
    5 bigger vaults
    2 Cribbage boards (one is going to be for @Cambiata )
    8 companion cubes (4 cherry, 1 paduak, 1 sycamore, 2 walnut)
    6 James Webb Space Telescope pendants.
    1 bookmark
    1 random piece of ash that was holding down the brown paper.

I'll get better pictures of all this. Also did some resawing of a burl and some other neat pieces. Need to put bottle openers on the cubes and then take fancy pictures of everything and put (most) of them up.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Love them birbs

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Y'all

I just found this really cool new YouTube channel!

ASMR type videos of tool restoration!

It's called Fixer Restorations and you should check it out!

Wink. Wink.

That explains it!

thank you, I really appreciate it. and also everyone that has watched and commented.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Y'all

I just found this really cool new YouTube channel!

ASMR type videos of tool restoration!

It's called Fixer Restorations and you should check it out!

Wink. Wink.

That explains it!

thank you, I really appreciate it. and also everyone that has watched and commented.

Hehehe

Hehe

Yay supporting friends!

• Options
    I guess I didn't show off the finished book guitar

4vghfrkash1v.jpg

pxic8r76lsrb.jpg

Sounds great, but the action is too high. Since no one really wants to play it, I'm not going to bother fixing it =p

I'm proud of the pickup ring I hand made from grapevine

x99vvgtasv0e.jpg

• Options
    What does "the action is too high" mean? And why wouldn't anyone want to play it, it looks rad!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What does "the action is too high" mean? And why wouldn't anyone want to play it, it looks rad!

thank you!

the action too high means that the strings are too high above the fretboard and take a lot more effort to press down. I don't know why no one wants to play it but ah well. It looks a treat and it'll be nice functional wall art I guess lol

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I made a watch stand for my finery!

I'll have a video up in a while, but damn I'm proud even though I made a couple obvious mistakes (not easily seen, but I know where they are)

w49d0rcxrmb3.jpg

re88l63oxkk5.jpg

nvgk8dqw6v7f.jpg

• Options
    I .... have bitten off a LOT more than I can chew ....

rfn7sz4hen8d.jpg

o1a208dskk96.jpg

rpr4vuh6brfu.jpg

bs4xhmtxjvpl.jpg

xu3wtg49ugcn.jpg

lx89s28f2vnl.jpg

8dd92dodky3x.jpg

4e0lmr8uv7ra.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's so pretty!

Like, art!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    they're gorgeous!

I know I can restore the cases and hardware to pristine, but I've never messed with this kind of electricity before. I'm pretty nervous. I'm going to start with the wood veneer Airline model because it has the least amount of parts by far

edit: in fact, it may be missing parts =p

in which case I'll buy a working turn table and drop it in there lol

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I kind of really want to make a turn table because I think that'd be super dumb pretty cool.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Radiation wrote: »
    I kind of really want to make a turn table because I think that'd be super dumb pretty cool.

do it!

then teach me how!

edit: that Zenith cartridge sells between $60 and $100

so even if I never get any of them working, I've doubled or even tripled the money I spent buying them

Xaquin on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You can buy (cheap, nasty, record ruining) mechanisms on Alibaba.. you may even be able to find decent ones. They'll be worth more to someone with the original mechanisms though, working or not.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    You can buy (cheap, nasty, record ruining) mechanisms on Alibaba.. you may even be able to find decent ones. They'll be worth more to someone with the original mechanisms though, working or not.

true, but for the wood one, I suspect most of the parts are already missing. The others are complete (but not functional owing to 60+ year old capacitors) and I'll definitely keep them that way!

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

true, but for the wood one, I suspect most of the parts are already missing. The others are complete (but not functional owing to 60+ year old capacitors) and I'll definitely keep them that way!

What do you have in there? Is it the record playing parts or the playback parts that are missing?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2022

What do you have in there? Is it the record playing parts or the playback parts that are missing?

I'm not sure yet, I'm going to crack it open this weekend =)

I'm forcing myself to finish the restoration I'm working on before I start this. I'll need the bench space for sure. Might have to readjust my camera too
    Tynnan wrote: »

that is so much nicer than my current set up

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It's a professional woodworking studio, after all

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @pimento

so I figured out which parts were missing.

all of them. Except the tone arm I guess.

someone in the 60s replaced the entire thing with a direct drive motor. the original ceramic cartridge was replaced with a crystal one and all the audio was removed and a headphone jack was installed

smazu58vwe4q.jpg

zv0cup9my5xx.jpg

3o8rqdjhd670.jpg

I guess I have a blank case to work with now. I just need to find a working record player to cannibalize!

edit:

it is possible that it is just a very old model though it has been heavily altered. The cartridge is pre 1952 which is a lot older than I'd assumed.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    the record players are so big my old camera set up wouldn't get them entirely in frame

so I built a little ceiling mounted .... camera .... holder .... thing ....

qqu6frrxyedx.jpg

w8qmbuceumqw.jpg

crude but effective!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Woodpunk. I don't know if it was a thing before, but it is now.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    what have we wrought?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    what have we wrought?

Some sort of mounted camera holder thing, I believe.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Haven't had a finish in a while due to two larger projects but knocked this one out comparatively quickly. I tried using negative space as part of the actual pattern rather than stitching black on black; seemed to come out ok-ish so I'm going to try it again with a larger one and see how it goes.
    9jkwrl3s2612.jpg

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    I'd like to get some opinions on finishing this record cabinet

I'm leaning towards just the beeswax finish myself

Beeswax:
    jxj2ho233psw.jpg

Walnut Stain:
    9168frc282dc.jpg

• Options
    I'd like to get some opinions on finishing this record cabinet

I'm leaning towards just the beeswax finish myself

Beeswax:
    jxj2ho233psw.jpg

Walnut Stain:
    9168frc282dc.jpg

Of those two I definitely prefer beeswax.

How do you do a finish in beeswax. Do you just, have a lump of beeswax you rub across the wood?

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Of those two I definitely prefer beeswax.

How do you do a finish in beeswax. Do you just, have a lump of beeswax you rub across the wood?

You melt 1 part beeswax with 2 parts mineral oil in a double boiler, stir it together, and let it solidify

it turns into a hard smooth paste that smells great, lasts forever, and wipes on very easily =)

the only draw back is that it needs reapplying after some months (depending on use) and if you ever want to remove it, be prepared for a tough time

edit: at some point I'm going to post a few short videos on homemade finishes

Xaquin on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That’s the standard paste recipe that my buddy affectionately refers to as “Bumblebee Sauce”

Good stuff, works great as a nice natural finish.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Beeswax for sure

• Options
    beeswax it is!

I may appropriate bumblebee sauce ....

• Options
    It took forever in machine time, but I did a flower bowl:
    0kYEpJO.jpg
    This one got messed up because reasons (on the underside). It was a test piece, so I'm not too mad, and I still get a functional bowl out of it. Probably going to make a few more, though they take soooooooo long.
    I could make them a bit smaller and drill a hole for incense burner or something maybe.
    I've also been working on a video tutorial thing for these leaf dish things:
    B2njhDp.jpg

• Options
    I finally figured out what I want to do with the record player case I restored!

i7d27zq9onsl.jpg

I'm going to outfit it with a mini pc, an 8 or 10 inch pop up monitor, and some speakers and it will be my shop stereo!

.... I just need to figure out how

• Options
    Question for wood artisans: I don't really like the glossy finish on my wooden banister. Would it be OK to strip the gloss and just treat the wood with Walrus oil? Should I look into some kind of wax to protect it or is that oil good enough?

Also do you have recommendations on a chemical wood stripper?