Options

1 Billions Lions vs 1 of Every Pokemon

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    I'm pretty sure most poison type pokemon would have a tool kit where they could easily poison the fuck out of a large number of lions. Sure some pokemon might get killed, but the lions are going to lose; especially, when we factor in abilities that have AoE capability. AoEs specifically exist to render numerical advantages moot.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    One billion is a set number, but they keep pumping out more and more Pokémon.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    A billion lions though

893 pokemon, each having to fight over a million lions

Nah

no way

And the weaker ones would get overwhelmed by even a single Lion, and the Lions would then roll into critical mass, which even the most powerful pokemon couldn't hope to defeat

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Lions aren’t army ants, those cats are not climbing over eachother as a coordinated wave of flesh fur and claws

It’s gonna be like two to five lions at a time vs literally a boulder with a nose

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon
    DvxNhkcWwAAwhkb?format=jpg&name=small
    WHERE IS YOUR SLUG NOW

if you're bringing the anime into it, palkia is a lovecraftian horror and space begins to unravel when it sustains even a minor injury

Which means the best the lions can possibly hope for is mutually assured destruction

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    exactly. if you give me a flamethrower and a stool and put me against a billion pillbugs, the only way i lose is if i suddenly have a heart attack

a billion doesn't mean anything if that billion can't touch you

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Let's also not forget about the horrors that is mimikyu. Once the sorry excuse of a disguise is destroyed, the lions will get to behold it's unspeakable form and likely break. I mean this things image was so maddening that it made a dude some mysterious disease and die.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon
    Even if lions suddenly were coordinated enough to make lion structures to reach flying pokemon you are gonna be losing a lot of cats from overheating. The thermal output of that much active metabolism is going to kill off any sorta wave of bodies attempts. Pokemon cited as being able to survive conditions hotter than the sun would be fine amid a ball of self-cooked lions

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Can't kill a Pokémon, only faint.

Actually, now that I think of it, what is any number of lions going to do against a single ghost type? Can't eat it, can't touch it...

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    The pokedex entries are self evidently inaccurate. For instance it is supposedly deadly you look into the hole in shedinja's back but you don't die when you send out a shedinja

If it's lions vs. video game pokemon lions win

If it's lions vs. anime pokemon pokemon win

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Anyone voting lions isn't giving this the extremely serious consideration that it clearly deserves.

Says the person who HASN'T VOTED YET

lol damn I 100% thought I voted, must've hit the 'view results' button instead. stupid phone

i have now voted and would vote the same even if the question were 'any finite number of lions versus any one pokemon of your choice'

lions are chumps. they can't fly or do telekinesis or even open doors

vi2teotsb3cl.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    The billion lions, unable to feed themselves as they wait out the deep ocean Pokémon who are just hanging out living their ocean lives, will become an ecological disaster for wherever they’re located, eating every animal until, eventually, they are forced to eat each other and starve.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    From what I understand, lions are pretty territorial against other tribes. Tribes are usually something like 30-40 lions max?

So that's like 25ish million individual tribes you gotta space right out or else they'll just start killing each other

I reckon a bunch of pokemon could take a few dozen lions at a time without too much issue

@Brovid Hasselsmof can you fact check me please, this is important

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Sudowudo just gonna keep on pretending to be a tree until this all blows over. And hes made out of rock so he dont even make a good scratching post

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    Lion doctrine is based on pack skirmishing rather than close order drill so only a tiny fraction of that billion will be combat effective at a time. Pokemon are mostly intelligent enough to form into a defensive formation and have enough 'mons capable of creating and maintaining force fields and enough heavy hitting ranged attackers that they could withstand lion attacks indefinitely.

There would be pokecasualties but the big guns one the pokeside are practically invulnerable to any standard lion tactics and abilities.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Honestly I think my actual answer is Groudon and Kyogre get on their bullshit again and most of the lions become collateral damage until Rayquaza puts them in time out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Ok so even if for some reason we use Game mechanic pokemon the lions will lose.

If its game mechanics then its a max raid and its a max raid with 893 trainers. The fastest 6 pokemon will go first and among them are mewtwo and arceus. Dynamax Arceus and use Max Quake. If that doesnt kill them all Mewtwo uses earthquake.
    Bam done.
    Some pokemon will faint but not from the lions

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    You know what Pokemon I like? Pikachu. Cute lil guy. Got moxie, that lil Pikachu.

He's like-- I don't know if you know him. He's like if a mouse was yellow, and had electricity?

I mean, yeah, okay, I know we all have electricity. Neurons, etc cetera. But Pikachu? Pikachu can do, like, lightning. Zaps it right on out of his little paws.

His tail even looks like a cartoon representation of a lightning bolt! Good stuff. Good stuff.

That Pikachu, man. Just can't get enough of that lil guy.

Have you been jon bois this whole time?

• Options
    Pokemon
    Even discounting legendaries how does any number of lions deal with a Magnezone? It's a flying hunk of steel that shoots lightning, the lions are fucked.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    What's the format of this battle? Can Surf hit every single lion at once?

• Options
    Pokemon
    Even discounting legendaries how does any number of lions deal with a Magnezone? It's a flying hunk of steel that shoots lightning, the lions are fucked.

it'll get exhausted eventually and run out of lightning

if drops of water can erode stone then the fangs of a billion lions can break through steel

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    cB557 wrote: »
    What's the format of this battle? Can Surf hit every single lion at once?

So long as it's radical enough

• Options
    Pokemon

if drops of water can erode stone then the fangs of a billion lions can break through steel

The Magnemite line levitates even while asleep, they can just go rest over a lake until they recharge.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    No, we are giving each group its pre-existing nature. Obviously if they have to abide by real world natural laws then pokemon lose, but the question poses each group as they currently exist.

The only way lions win is if you give them every benefit and give pokemon every disadvantage. That tells you everything you need to know.

Like, how do they take on the original legendary birds? How do they get at Gyarados? Gen 1 alone could take infinite lions!

Gyarados is unable to fight them after using dragon rage 10 times, hydro pump 5 times, bite 25 times and twister 15 times

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    I guess it can use struggle

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    the pokémon would win

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    MechMantis wrote: »
    With a billion lions some number of them will be perfect lions.

With one of each pokemon the chancesof having ANY perfect IV/EV'd ones is basically nil.

Lions win.

We gots bottle caps

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon
    No, we are giving each group its pre-existing nature. Obviously if they have to abide by real world natural laws then pokemon lose, but the question poses each group as they currently exist.

The only way lions win is if you give them every benefit and give pokemon every disadvantage. That tells you everything you need to know.

Like, how do they take on the original legendary birds? How do they get at Gyarados? Gen 1 alone could take infinite lions!

Gyarados is unable to fight them after using dragon rage 10 times, hydro pump 5 times, bite 25 times and twister 15 times

nothing about the original question puts gameplay limitations on move use, because yeah obviously they would run out of moves

but even then, the lions still can't win, they can only avoid being completely obliterated

and as mentioned, there are moves that hit all enemies, so the number of lions is kinda moot

the best lions can hope for is to not go completely extinct

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Solar wrote: »
    A billion lions though

893 pokemon, each having to fight over a million lions

Nah

no way

And the weaker ones would get overwhelmed by even a single Lion, and the Lions would then roll into critical mass, which even the most powerful pokemon couldn't hope to defeat

the pokemon could just stand on a third floor balcony

also, as noted, many pokemon are large enough to crush several lions simply by moving. A billion lions can't do anything to an Onix.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Are all the pokemon and lions dropped off an empty planet somewhere or is it a planet sized pokemon stadium

• Options
    Pokemon

I'm pretty sure erosion is pretty reliant on water's solvent properties though, so I'm not sure that principle would apply to lion fangs.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    do the lions have time to prepare

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Would the video games be the 'most' canon in terms of abilities and limitations, since the games came first and every other form of media is some type of spinoff/offshoot of those?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    pokemon can only fight like 2 or 3 targets at once

theyd be torn to shreds by a billion lions who do not work by turn based combat rules

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Pokemon

theyd be torn to shreds by a billion lions who do not work by turn based combat rules
    I dunno, stuff like surf or earthquake hits every target on the field at once. You might just need one pokemon who knows an AOE move like that to be able to defeat any arbitrarily large number of lions.

• Options
    Pokemon

the closest pokemon's ever gotten to this scenario is the horde fights in gen 6

which top out at 5 or 6 enemies but are clearly meant to be abstract representations of fighting a huge group of wild animals

in those situations, moves that target everyone still target everyone, so if we're imposing video game rules then yeah I think one Surf or Earthquake would hit all one billion lions simultaneously

i'm coming around on video game pokemon also winning this fight

• Options
    Pokemon

if the lions aren't bound to the limitations of the game, they don't get its benefits either. which means they can't hit ghosts, so they still lose

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    the lions would not bother with this bullshit and leave

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    There are a lot of moves that “hit every [thing] on the [battlefield]”

• Options
    Pokemon
    sandstorm/hail does 1/16th of your maximum health in damage to every non-rock and ground type every single turn, it fades after 5 turns assuming the pokemon don't get held items

so if they can just use sandstorm or hail 4 times they automatically win