Options

1 Billions Lions vs 1 of Every Pokemon

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon
    sandstorm/hail does 1/16th of your maximum health in damage to every non-rock and ground type every single turn, it fades after 5 turns assuming the pokemon don't get held items

so if they can just use sandstorm or hail 4 times they automatically win

See this is how I get wrecked in competitive

I’m all like mathing out whether flamethrower at 100% acc or fire blast at 85% is better and some nerd has put together a team that has an insta win condition if your own team hasn’t prepared for it

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    sandstorm/hail does 1/16th of your maximum health in damage to every non-rock and ground type every single turn, it fades after 5 turns assuming the pokemon don't get held items

so if they can just use sandstorm or hail 4 times they automatically win

See this is how I get wrecked in competitive

I’m all like mathing out whether flamethrower at 100% acc or fire blast at 85% is better and some nerd has put together a team that has an insta win condition if your own team hasn’t prepared for it

the answer used to be flamethrower but the consensus these days is fire blast

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    the lions would not bother with this bullshit and leave

aka losing

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    pokemon can only fight like 2 or 3 targets at once

theyd be torn to shreds by a billion lions who do not work by turn based combat rules

if the lions aren't bound to the limitations of the game, they don't get its benefits either. which means they can't hit ghosts, so they still lose

Most pokemon aren't magic. They're just different animals. 'Types' in pokemon aren't magic elements, either. They're just man-made classifications to try and explain the various behaviors and associations. If a pokemon bites another pokemon, it's not a 'magic' bite, it's just a regular bite, with teeth and stuff. The 'dark' type stuff is just there to explain why the bite impacts some pokemon more than others. It's why bite actually changed types between generations 1 and 2. As more information was discovered about its properties, its classification was changed.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

theyd be torn to shreds by a billion lions who do not work by turn based combat rules

the closest pokemon's ever gotten to this scenario is the horde fights in gen 6

which top out at 5 or 6 enemies but are clearly meant to be abstract representations of fighting a huge group of wild animals

in those situations, moves that target everyone still target everyone, so if we're imposing video game rules then yeah I think one Surf or Earthquake would hit all one billion lions simultaneously

i'm coming around on video game pokemon also winning this fight

The amount of water and earth destruction generated to flood 1 billion lions at the same time would probably destroy whatever planet or world the battle took place in

Peas on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon
    Javen wrote: »

if the lions aren't bound to the limitations of the game, they don't get its benefits either. which means they can't hit ghosts, so they still lose

Most pokemon aren't magic. They're just different animals. 'Types' in pokemon aren't magic elements, either. They're just man-made classifications to try and explain the various behaviors and associations. If a pokemon bites another pokemon, it's not a 'magic' bite, it's just a regular bite, with teeth and stuff. The 'dark' type stuff is just there to explain why the bite impacts some pokemon more than others. It's why bite actually changed types between generations 1 and 2. As more information was discovered about its properties, its classification was changed.

that's fine and all, but some ghost pokemon are literal ghosts (or at the very least are animals that behave just like the things we would call ghosts behave). lion ain't gonna do shit to an actual spectral being.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    A billion is a very big number.

I need some Pokemon information is what I need. How many Pokemon there are, for one.

What moves they can learn, for another.

Then we need to determine what Type a lion is and how much HP they have, along with other stats.

Then we figure out which moves each Pokemon can do, and figure out, for each different Pokemon, which moves they can take to eliminate the maximum number of lions. Because it isn't just about raw damage but how many times they can perform that move.

How many lions could, in a best-case scenario, be eliminated before all the Pokemon are reduced to having to Struggle?

There is also a consideration of defense, that these lions are going to be attacking while the Pokemon are also attacking, and so we can't assume every Pokemon can get every attack off.

But if we cannot find that the number of lions can even be reduced to a manageable number before the Pokemon are forced to injure themselves Struggling against their fors, then the lions will win through simple attrition.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Genghis Kahn butchered an absurd number of people through wading into a crowd of people with axes. Folks under estimate the ability of a killing machine to methodically take out scores of less individually threatening foes.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Pokemon
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I need some Pokemon information is what I need. How many Pokemon there are, for one.

Then we need to determine what Type a lion is and how much HP they have, along with other stats.

Then we figure out which moves each Pokemon can do, and figure out, for each different Pokemon, which moves they can take to eliminate the maximum number of lions. Because it isn't just about raw damage but how many times they can perform that move.

How many lions could, in a best-case scenario, be eliminated before all the Pokemon are reduced to having to Struggle?

There is also a consideration of defense, that these lions are going to be attacking while the Pokemon are also attacking, and so we can't assume every Pokemon can get every attack off.

But if we cannot find that the number of lions can even be reduced to a manageable number before the Pokemon are forced to injure themselves Struggling against their fors, then the lions will win through simple attrition.

Steelix is a one ton 30 foot snake made of steel. Simple attrition doesn't enter in to it when some basic pokemon can defeat multiple lions at once by moving forward at a normal pace. Think of it like this. Could an elephant trample a lion? Sure! But there are a billion lions. But the elephant is invincible so it doesn't matter.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Peas wrote: »

the closest pokemon's ever gotten to this scenario is the horde fights in gen 6

which top out at 5 or 6 enemies but are clearly meant to be abstract representations of fighting a huge group of wild animals

in those situations, moves that target everyone still target everyone, so if we're imposing video game rules then yeah I think one Surf or Earthquake would hit all one billion lions simultaneously

i'm coming around on video game pokemon also winning this fight

The amount of water and earth destruction generated to flood 1 billion lions at the same time would probably destroy whatever planet or world the battle took place in
    Being able to do that is an established feat of Kyogre.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    A billion lions is like 7 billion tons
    Edit: I have no idea how much a ton is

Peas on
  • Options
    Pokemon
    Peas wrote: »
    A billion lions is like 7 billion tons

hmmmmm

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

that's fine and all, but some ghost pokemon are literal ghosts (or at the very least are animals that behave just like the things we would call ghosts behave). lion ain't gonna do shit to an actual spectral being.

Why not? There are a ton of non-magic, regular-ass animal Pokémon that can learn Bite and ace any of the ghost Pokémon.

If a Rattata can clown on a Gengar by chomping on its face, a lion can definitely do the same.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    nothing can defeat a billion lions

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Lalabox wrote: »
    A billion lions doesn't have shit on 10,000 rats.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pokemon

what about a billion and one lions

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Xaquin wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Steelix is a one ton 30 foot snake made of steel. Simple attrition doesn't enter in to it when some basic pokemon can defeat multiple lions at once by moving forward at a normal pace. Think of it like this. Could an elephant trample a lion? Sure! But there are a billion lions. But the elephant is invincible so it doesn't matter.

It might take a while, but yeah.

Alternatively, what's the lifespan of a lion? Just have the really ancient legends wait another 50 years underground and win by age.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    4z9b48fwgmyd.png

• Options
    Pokemon

psssh the human race could easily. and we aren't even one ton steel monsters

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    If the grass type pokemon just chill would the lions even bother them.

Like vileplume smells really bad and isn't made of meat I think the lions would just ignore it

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    A lot of the steel types are going to be rough for the lions to deal with. Metagross also I'd give good odds on being able to defend itself long enough for the lions to starve to death.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pokemon
    Is there a large body of water for Pokémon like Wailord?

• Options
    Pokemon
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most poison type pokemon would have a tool kit where they could easily poison the fuck out of a large number of lions. Sure some pokemon might get killed, but the lions are going to lose; especially, when we factor in abilities that have AoE capability. AoEs specifically exist to render numerical advantages moot.

Sludge. Wave.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions

aka losing

is it losing to not engage with a bunch of jerks?

• Options
    Pokemon

aka losing

us or the pokemon?

also, as if more proof was needed

826x6vn3uk9x.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    From what I understand, lions are pretty territorial against other tribes. Tribes are usually something like 30-40 lions max?

So that's like 25ish million individual tribes you gotta space right out or else they'll just start killing each other

I reckon a bunch of pokemon could take a few dozen lions at a time without too much issue

Brovid Hasselsmof can you fact check me please, this is important

Lions are wusses. You can literally just walk towards a lion and it will run away. Versus a load of giant electric fish monsters and ghost plants that breathe fire or whatever weird shit Pokémon do I would not bet on the lions.

And we already have evidence of lions being unable to circumvent a Pokemon's defenses:

https://youtu.be/P9J1QzPmTyU

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Pokemon

aka losing

Wherever they are the ecology can't support a billion lions, most of the lions and pokemon will starve to death, the pokemon who don't need to eat can take out the few surviving lions.
    Victory: Pokemon.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Pokemon
    Is there a large body of water for Pokémon like Wailord?

Wailord has never needed a large body of water, just a warm Skitty

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    I feel like lions also win by being real

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Solar wrote: »

Pikachu is real, and strong, and my friend

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pokemon

Why not? There are a ton of non-magic, regular-ass animal Pokémon that can learn Bite and ace any of the ghost Pokémon.

If a Rattata can clown on a Gengar by chomping on its face, a lion can definitely do the same.

my take is that having the capability to bite isn't the same as knowing the move Bite. if a pokemon has a mouth and teeth it can bite, but not every pokemon with a mouth and teeth can use Bite. and if you can't use Bite, the act of biting a Gengar wouldn't have any effect. and lions aren't pokemon, so they can't learn Bite, even though they can bite.

yes i know this is a stupid argument and no i don't care. lions lose every time.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    I read the question wrong

I thought it was who would you rather fight

I mean, I don't want to fight either but i guess lions

• Options
    Pokemon

that's changing the question!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pokemon

Boo this person!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Pokemon
    A billion is a lot. But.. flying... Unless they make a large lion-tower, I don't see it. And I don't think lions could coordinate like that.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    how many pokemon you think kraven the hunter could take down? all of 'em? i bet kraven could off 'em all.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Pokemon
    Kraven could do really good but then he grabs Aegislash by the handle and his soul gets dragged to Hell.

• Options
    Pokemon
    how many pokemon you think kraven the hunter could take down? all of 'em? i bet kraven could off 'em all.

Not Bendis’ Kraven

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions

aka losing

us or the pokemon?

also, as if more proof was needed

826x6vn3uk9x.jpg

the only proof there is that nerd gamers think animals that don't exist would beat a bunch of lions.

that's why the lions leave, there is no one else there

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    1 Billion Lions
    Everyone on the Pokemon side is just handwaving away that they'd run out of PP. In order to be fair these have to be wild pokemon so there's no trainer to carry them to a center. A pokemon lying exhausted on the ground being stood on by a lion is still defeated.

sig.gif