Options

Professional Container Ship Drift Racing

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm guessing mostly cholera and other plagues?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Nope probably workplace accidents. Astoundingly common for your fellow laborers to die on the job before the modern concept of Workplace Safety came into being.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    For the Panama Canal malaria was a major obstacle.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This is. I mean it's BAD for global shipping but

I'm fucking dying laughing, this made my day in so many "WOW" ways

What the hell are they gonna do to unwedge this? And did the captain and crew in fact abandon ship and immediately assume false names because boy I feel like even the Exxon Valdez and Torrey Canyon folks aren't gonna want to hang with you

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I wonder how long til we start seeing knock on effects with this.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You mean ripple effects? I don't know but it's got to make some waves. Definitely won't be smooth sailing, in fact if they can't get it out soon trade will really be up the creek without a paddle. But I'm sure a ton of people are working hard to get things shipshape.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Managed to dig out good part of the bulbous thingy. It's still stuck.

#Evergiven #SuezCanal #Suez

SuezDiggerGuy is presumably the guy in the digger.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m bracing for the “one diggy boy” memes

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    that digger is doing an incredible job of finally putting the size of this ship into proper perspective for me

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Nope probably workplace accidents. Astoundingly common for your fellow laborers to die on the job before the modern concept of Workplace Safety came into being.
    When Tower Bridge was built in London, it took 432 men eight years, and only ten men died building it. It was a marvel of workplace safety for the time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    It always freaks me out seeing how narrow those ships get down towards the water line. I can accept intellectually that a lot of very well-educated professionals have put a lot of time and effort into calculating the optimal boat shape, but instinctively it just looks unstable as hell.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It always freaks me out seeing how narrow those ships get down towards the water line. I can accept intellectually that a lot of very well-educated professionals have put a lot of time and effort into calculating the optimal boat shape, but instinctively it just looks unstable as hell.

@Usagi please fix ships so Desert Leviathan can sleep at night

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I feel like the standstill of 10% of global trade warrants more than a guy in an excavator

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Watching ships go by along the Straits of Malacca while I'm on the water in a lil six person outrigger is really something

By which I mean my biggest goal is to stay the fuck away from the shipping lanes because they are huge and move surprisingly quickly and are shall we say not great at the tight turns or fast stops

Also I guess the marine police would yell at us but mostly it's the desire not to die

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I feel like the standstill of 10% of global trade warrants more than a guy in an excavator

There's a matter of getting the necessary equipment *to* there.

There was talk about unloading some of the containers to make the ship lighter and hopefully float it up off the bottom, but even that requires transporting and assembling one or more cranes and that's not a fast process

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Canal building is also fucking treacherous and no one actually knew how to do it. Loads of trial and error went into the Suez canal and then many of the same people in charge of it still were consulted on the Panama canal despite genocide-level worker deaths. Pretty sure both companies that initiated construction on both canals went bankrupt.

Canals are bad

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

That’s not just *a* guy

It’s Suez. Digger. Guy.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

There was talk about unloading some of the containers to make the ship lighter and hopefully float it up off the bottom, but even that requires transporting and assembling one or more cranes and that's not a fast process

yeah, but the suez canal isn't some unknown area that's difficult to get to

nations should be chomping at the bit to get equipment there yesterday

• Options

sure but strong desire doesn't translate well into increased speed to move equipment that weighs tons

plus i doubt anyone saw this as a real possibility so i can't imagine stuff is set to go in the evetuality

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

That’s not just *a* guy

It’s Suez. Digger. Guy.

I like the idea that this guy has had that Twitter account for years and never had anything interesting to post until now and is just so pleased with these events.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

That’s not just *a* guy

It’s Suez. Digger. Guy.

I like the idea that this guy has had that Twitter account for years and never had anything interesting to post until now and is just so pleased with these events.

It's not even his job, he was just hanging out with his excavator and then when he heard about the ship crashing his eyes lit up

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The boat is to big to be going down the canal anyway, right? What if they unstick it and it goes another couple miles and gets lodged again?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

Reijin-3907-default-large.jpeg

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    The boat is to big to be going down the canal anyway, right? What if they unstick it and it goes another couple miles and gets lodged again?

It wasn't even halfway, I assume they're gonna turn it back around.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Reijin-3907-default-large.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Golden_Ray#Capsizing

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    l18x77dcg6ji.png

I solved their problem.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

It wasn't even halfway, I assume they're gonna turn it back around.

Isn't it too big to turn around in the canal? Like, isn't that part of why it got stuck?

• Options
    An update was saying the main problem is the front and the back ends of ship are grounded and that it could take weeks to get it unstuck as they may have to offload cargo and fuel.

• Options
    why don't they just blow it up

if video game have taught me anything it's that if you blow something up in turns into a bunch of coins who doesn't love coins

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    This is up there with all those limited edition Goku's at the bottom of the ocean

I'm sorry what

https://kotaku.com/rare-gokus-possibly-lost-at-sea-after-major-shipping-ac-1845936108

Close to what @Pinfeldorf said, except it was limited edition figurines. I couldn't find any followup to see if they were among the containers lost.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Here is a good article explaining what probably happened

https://www.ft.com/content/171c92ec-0a44-4dc5-acab-81ee2620d3c1

Even if the crew made an avoidable mistake, boat too big.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

There's only one road leading there, and there's a semi jackknifed on it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

There's only one road leading there, and there's a semi jackknifed on it.

ah, a conspiracy

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

That's paywalled for me but here's a Twitter thread with the summary. Tweeter is an FT editor.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Champing at the bit

English is a dumb language

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Also unloading equipment is difficult when shipping lanes are congested

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

That's paywalled for me but here's a Twitter thread with the summary. Tweeter is an FT editor.

So you're telling me this whole incident is basically the 5'8" Bridge Videos on a grander scale

"I can totally fit!"

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

So you're telling me this whole incident is basically the 5'8" Bridge Videos on a grander scale

"I can totally fit!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw&t=338s

you rang?

• Options
    Corinth Canal.

M230709largedesktop.jpg