• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    Here is a good article explaining what probably happened

https://www.ft.com/content/171c92ec-0a44-4dc5-acab-81ee2620d3c1

Even if the crew made an avoidable mistake, boat too big.

That's paywalled for me but here's a Twitter thread with the summary. Tweeter is an FT editor.

So you're telling me this whole incident is basically the 5'8" Bridge Videos on a grander scale

"I can totally fit!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw&t=338s

you rang?

Yes exactly. Also why did I say 5'8", that'd be a hilariously short bridge even I wouldn't be able to get under

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    man I wanna jump in that water.

like when you're at a mini-golf course and they have that blue water that looks so delicious, definitely tastes like blue raspberry

Depressperado on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I feel like the standstill of 10% of global trade warrants more than a guy in an excavator

There's a matter of getting the necessary equipment *to* there.

There was talk about unloading some of the containers to make the ship lighter and hopefully float it up off the bottom, but even that requires transporting and assembling one or more cranes and that's not a fast process

yeah, but the suez canal isn't some unknown area that's difficult to get to

nations should be chomping at the bit to get equipment there yesterday

Champing at the bit

English is a dumb language

I don't know anything about horses except that they are to be avoided

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have the solution

https://youtu.be/v5JiPj9c98Y

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Corinth Canal.

M230709largedesktop.jpg

This picture makes me anxious as hell

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

That's paywalled for me but here's a Twitter thread with the summary. Tweeter is an FT editor.

So you're telling me this whole incident is basically the 5'8" Bridge Videos on a grander scale

"I can totally fit!"

you rang?

The air conditioner units getting knocked clean off the top of RVs is especially satisfying.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Me too, but mainly because now I see all those people on a ship and just think plaaaague

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'd have thought you'd see all those people and think "snacks" but I guess after 100 million years your palate has settled.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    why don't they just blow it up

if video game have taught me anything it's that if you blow something up in turns into a bunch of coins who doesn't love coins

Florence, Oregon has entered the chat

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    thinking about all the emergency planners around the world now adding "big boat, sideways" to their threat modeling

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Well, sinking big boats in rivers and harbors has been a tactic for as long as big boats have existed. This one is trickier because they presumably want a nondestructive resolution to the problem.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Butters wrote: »

"I can totally fit!"

you rang?

The air conditioner units getting knocked clean off the top of RVs is especially satisfying.

My favorite are the trucks that are just short enough to shear off the entire top while still making it through

Madican on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Corinth Canal.

M230709largedesktop.jpg
    Passengers: ooooooo, this is so cool

Captain: shit shit shit shit fuck shit shit shit

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Apparently the journey through that Corinth Canal isn't so bad because the force of ship pushing water to the side walls helps keep it centered.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    In this canal the force of the ships wake keeps it centered

In that canal the force of the ships wake made it turn sideways and jackknife into the side

We have been taken for fools

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm not in the industry, but this reeks of "Why pay crew salaries on two ships, when we can build one that's just barely above specs for the canal and ship the same amount of cargo at one time?"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    100m longer than spec sounds like more than a little bit oversized

But yes you're right

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    If only the company owners would face anything approaching consequences for their greed

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm not in the industry, but this reeks of "Why pay crew salaries on two ships, when we can build one that's just barely above specs for the canal and ship the same amount of cargo at one time?"

Same reason they sail under the Panama flag, like many cruise ships, so they can take advantage of their labor laws (which may as well not exist)

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    This thread reminded me of the time that we found a bunch of shipping containers floating in the ocean. We were two weeks’ sail off the west coast of Australia and in the middle of the ocean there was like, half a dozen sea containers just floating in the sea. It was actually fuckin scary, because they might punch a hole in the side of the boat like some kind of steel iceberg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of the time that we found a bunch of shipping containers floating in the ocean. We were two weeks’ sail off the west coast of Australia and in the middle of the ocean there was like, half a dozen sea containers just floating in the sea. It was actually fuckin scary, because they might punch a hole in the side of the boat like some kind of steel iceberg

It’s a big thing in the container industry (or was, been out of it for 10 years) to try and figure out a container design that sinks since random floating reefs is bad and empty containers fall off ships a lot.

• Options
    Robert Redford did a whole movie about running into a random shipping container. My old sig was a screen-cap from it. All is Lost.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    It always freaks me out seeing how narrow those ships get down towards the water line. I can accept intellectually that a lot of very well-educated professionals have put a lot of time and effort into calculating the optimal boat shape, but instinctively it just looks unstable as hell.

Usagi please fix ships so Desert Leviathan can sleep at night

Let me reassure y’all, there is an awful lot of fancee maths that go into designing/building these

(Also lots of dick-related humour butt that goes without saying :+1: )

Remember too, they’re super narrow up at the bow on the waterline to reduce resistance but wider approaching Super Thicc the further back you go

Boats *jazz hands*

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    mcp wrote: »
    Corinth Canal.

M230709largedesktop.jpg
    Passengers: ooooooo, this is so cool

Captain: shit shit shit shit fuck shit shit shit

Fun fact doublepost!

Most places that are dangerous/difficult to navigate have their own pilots association, so it’s not the ship captain driving. Some of these speciality pilots are better than others (stares at Suez Canal pilots who were definitely onboard when this happened).

If you want to be properly freaked out, I suggest you look up the Columbia River Bar crossing (part of what’s known as the “graveyard of the Pacific”).

https://youtu.be/DZCLKq1XVFg

Usagi on
  • Options
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

My subscription to Defector continues to be the finest investment I've ever made.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    It always freaks me out seeing how narrow those ships get down towards the water line. I can accept intellectually that a lot of very well-educated professionals have put a lot of time and effort into calculating the optimal boat shape, but instinctively it just looks unstable as hell.

Let me reassure y’all, there is an awful lot of fancee maths that go into designing/building these

Remember too, they’re super narrow up at the bow on the waterline to reduce resistance but wider approaching Super Thicc the further back you go

Boats *jazz hands*

Listen, my brain trusts you 100%. But my gut is still like NO! NOPE! NO GOOD!!

Which is why I am the Desert Leviathan and not the Ocean Leviathan, because the sea is a terrifying mystery made up of very complicated math and low visibility.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    They're just boats, it's not rocket science.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Boats *jazz hands*

Listen, my brain trusts you 100%. But my gut is still like NO! NOPE! NO GOOD!!

Which is why I am the Desert Leviathan and not the Ocean Leviathan, because the sea is a terrifying mystery made up of very complicated math and low visibility.

Or is it because Nibelsnarf is fun to say?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    They're just boats, it's not rocket science.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you had great-grandchildren.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    l18x77dcg6ji.png

I solved their problem.

You forgot to convert from tons. They'd need 18.4 billion balloons, not a measly 8.3 million.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So glad my bro's ship is out of those waters and back in port.

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    also I don't think there's that much helium supply on earth at the moment

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    l18x77dcg6ji.png

I solved their problem.

You forgot to convert from tons. They'd need 18.4 billion balloons, not a measly 8.3 million.

Balloons are horrible for the environment. Can we just fill the ship with helium and save on plastic?

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I’m sad it’s an Evergreen ship that’s stuck. Always liked them.

Should’ve been a Hapag-Lloyd. Or even worse, Maersk.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Can I just say that I find all of this event to be really, really funny

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    l18x77dcg6ji.png

I solved their problem.

Can 1 billions balloons float one of every pokemon

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    also I don't think there's that much helium supply on earth at the moment

The moon isn't that far away. And the route there isn't blocked by some giant ship.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter