As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You vs 1 billion ants

12346»

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    1 billion ants
    Look at it this way: If the ants are motivated, I’m fucked.

Mainly because they’d be able to work in shifts to overwhelm any defense I could muster and I’d never have a chance to sleep.

Like, imagine over twelve hours I manage to defeat 500 million ants, and then, at, say, 7 PM, another 500 million roll in.

If it comes down to them or me, they’re gonna get me.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    You
    It really depends on the environment. In some sort of narrow featureless sealed room you're fucked. If it's in any sort of setting where tactics beyond "crawl forward pinching" can be applied I'd like to think having opposable thumbs and the ability to use tools would allow any of us to overcome the tedious task of slowly routing the ants into a choke point and killing them with a garden hose or whatever. In fact I once had a giant swarm of ants outside the back door of my childhood home and that's exactly how we handled them. I can say from experience that the one thing this thread isn't mentioning is the smell that comes after killing hundreds of ants. It smelled like rotting meat for days even though it was outdoors where presumably the smell would dissipate. So yeah, I think your biggest obstacles to overcome are, in order:
    • Not trying to punch or stomp the ants like a big ol' dumbass who's going to get swarmed to death by ants
    • The sheer tedium of kiting and killing 1 billion ants
    • The noxious gas that kind of dead ant pile would emit

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean defeating them would be pretty easy.

I would place a stick, or a leaf in front of them and they’d be fucked four days.

A stick doesn’t mean shit to a bull ant

md1oaqks3ojd.jpeg

Then I’d use a leaf.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Other fun facts about bull ants. When I was six, one somehow ended up in my underwear. It was Not A Good Time.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Did you know there used to be a type of ant called a Hell Ant and that it had a big ass horn at the front of its head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQPAH9KuxhY&ab_channel=PBSEons

Just in case you wanted to have that image in your head.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    1 billion ants
    Assuming an average ant size of 2mm wide and 10mm long and you're on a flat plane then you'd see ants for about 25 meters in every direction. Like if the scenario is "you're walking through a field and then suddenly 1 billion ants burrow out of the ground and are surrounding you because to each and every single one of them you smell like an enemy that must immediately be attacked" then you'd need to run through 25 meters of ants, hoping that none of the truly dangerous ones manage to get onto you and into your clothes before you escape. I'd think my odds of not getting bit by a single ant that would debilitate me after running through 25 meters worth of ants is very low. I'd probably get bit, trip and fall into the ants from the pain, and that's the ballgame.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    You
    Since it wasn't specified, I choose to imagine I am at home when the antpocolypse occurs because that's where I usually am.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You
    I'll either be at home where I have the resources to deal with it or I'll be at work where it will very quickly become someone else's problem.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You
    Gonna be honest, 25m is not a whole lot. Much less than I expected.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    1 billion ants
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Gonna be honest, 25m is not a whole lot. Much less than I expected.

I double checked and it turns out with the Windows 10 calculator, if you put in 20000 / pi, hit enter, hit the square root button, and hit enter again, it actually outputs sqrt(20000 / pi)/pi for some weird reason. Anyway, the correct number is that 25 times pi, which be almost 80 m.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    1 billion ants
    Here I am down in the shit me and the fencers rolling through vehicles and infrastructure while firing bullets the size of my torso at even more of these fucking ants

And the Wing Divers and Air Raiders are just hanging out on a roof chilling like this isn’t their problem too

Not gonna be laughing when we get to the cave missions with all of the sky of a cave and limpet dick

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    You
    I voted for me but now I think that was just my human bravado speaking. If they were just hanging out that would be one thing, but if a billion ants were motivated to kill me specifically then yeah I'm probably dead.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    1 billion ants
    Opty wrote: »
    Assuming an average ant size of 2mm wide and 10mm long and you're on a flat plane then you'd see ants for about 25 meters in every direction. Like if the scenario is "you're walking through a field and then suddenly 1 billion ants burrow out of the ground and are surrounding you because to each and every single one of them you smell like an enemy that must immediately be attacked" then you'd need to run through 25 meters of ants, hoping that none of the truly dangerous ones manage to get onto you and into your clothes before you escape. I'd think my odds of not getting bit by a single ant that would debilitate me after running through 25 meters worth of ants is very low. I'd probably get bit, trip and fall into the ants from the pain, and that's the ballgame.

Well shit when I quoted I thought it was still 25m and I could run 25m in about 4 seconds, I think that’s quick enough to keep me safe enough

I cannot run 80m in any amount of time

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It really depends on the environment. In some sort of narrow featureless sealed room you're fucked. If it's in any sort of setting where tactics beyond "crawl forward pinching" can be applied I'd like to think having opposable thumbs and the ability to use tools would allow any of us to overcome the tedious task of slowly routing the ants into a choke point and killing them with a garden hose or whatever. In fact I once had a giant swarm of ants outside the back door of my childhood home and that's exactly how we handled them. I can say from experience that the one thing this thread isn't mentioning is the smell that comes after killing hundreds of ants. It smelled like rotting meat for days even though it was outdoors where presumably the smell would dissipate. So yeah, I think your biggest obstacles to overcome are, in order:
    • Not trying to punch or stomp the ants like a big ol' dumbass who's going to get swarmed to death by ants
    • The sheer tedium of kiting and killing 1 billion ants
    • The noxious gas that kind of dead ant pile would emit
    I'd probably try setting them on fire, so for me there'd also be "not killing myself with fire".

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    1 billion ants
    How many of the ants are flying males and new queens? Like as a fraction of the whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkObgEPeIhw

GDdCWMm.jpg