As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum Advertisement FAQ and Reports Thread

1246

Posts

  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Just got an ad for "Black Rifle Coffee Company" which is, you guessed it, an alt-right supporting coffee company

    Android, duckduckgo, VancouverWashington

    Wait, they are?

    Shit. My bro in the navy was going on about how much good they are doing for vets and how they are highly respected inside military circles. Their Youtube promotional videos seem pretty positive, at least.

    He/Him
    No-Quarteramateurhour
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Apparently they crossed over from pro-Vet to pro-Trump and associated acts fairly quickly. Which doesn't strike me as very pro-Vet but others may disagree

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    NitsuaNobodyiTunesIsEvilJaysonFourBahamutZEROZibblsnrtMunkus BeaverElvenshaeShadowfiretynicknitdanHandsome CostanzaDarkPrimusCambiataBullheadwebguy20
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Started getting pornish ads from popcornnews

    Safari, iPad, Alabama

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Nobody
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 21
    Ringo wrote: »
    Apparently they crossed over from pro-Vet to pro-Trump and associated acts fairly quickly. Which doesn't strike me as very pro-Vet but others may disagree

    It’s a little complicated, because Kyle Rittenhouse of “teenage multiple murderer but it’s okay because he’s white” fame was pictured in a BRCC shirt. This caused the company to disavow any interest in defending him or connections to him, so they got put on several rightwing shitlists for it.

    Ed: But yeah, fairly right-wing in their general approach.

    Elvenshae on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Apparently they crossed over from pro-Vet to pro-Trump and associated acts fairly quickly. Which doesn't strike me as very pro-Vet but others may disagree

    It’s a little complicated, because Kyle Rittenhouse of “teenage multiple murderer but it’s okay because he’s white” fame was pictured in a BRCC shirt. This caused the company to disavow any interest in defending him or connections to him, so they got put on several rightwing shitlists for it.

    Ed: But yeah, fairly right-wing in their general approach.

    Well at least there's a line somewhere, and I actually do appreciate that

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    ElvenshaeCambiata
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Things seemed okay for a while, and then this popped up this afternoon. Censored but still very NSFW under spoiler (not kidding).

    b47z6ed268fb.jpg

    Safari, the latest version of iOS (iPad), near Kalamazoo, MI.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I want to make it clear that I would like everyone to keep reporting these, and I'll keep sending them in to the appropriate people, but have any of you done an adware check recently?

    This isn't me attempting to move the blame, as, again, we're still sending these reports in. But it might be worth a shot, and if it cuts these ads out (or if they don't cut these ads out), that's more data we can use to help stop these ads appearing for other people.

    ToxRingoShadowfireZibblsnrtCambiataElvenshae
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    No adware on iOS. Most I can get are cookies and I cleared that out. I’m seeing everything they are, though interestingly enough the right wing ads stopped after I reported it here. The sexualized ones Kerri coming over and over again though. There’s a ton of other ads interpreted between them. It’s just very obvious when those appear.

    JaysonFourNobodyRingo
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Same as Nitsua- I flush my cookies and these still show up, and I don't have adware because I use an iPad.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 24
    No adware/malware here, and no bad extensions. Thanks for the thought though.

    Still getting Newsgeekz occasionally, the last couple nights have almost entirely been for crappy mobile games (that's targeted well!) and manufactured diamonds, so that's good so far.

    Edit: as soon as I posted this I got one of the NSFW ads. This was for popcornews(dot)com with the same redhead lying on blueberries that newsgeekz was serving up.

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 24
    And what’s weird about the newsgeekz is that the site isn’t NSFW, it is just boring articles. Why they have to advertise like that I have no idea, outside of the fact their work is derivative and just pure drivel.

    Nitsua on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 24
    No adware/malware, I containerize (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/) the fuck out of every website I browse so cookies don't spread and ad profiles don't get built on me:

    2zcozlho7xr9.png

    Firefox 88.0.1
    Syracuse, NY

    I occasionally get the porny (edit: and right-wing) ads that others get, or stuff like the above which is better but still ehhhh. Also occasionally get local advertisements based off my IP address' geoloc.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Brainleech
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    And what’s weird about the newsgeekz is that the site isn’t NSFW, it is just boring articles. Why they have to advertise like that I have no idea, outside of the fact their work is derivative and just pure drivel.

    It's a pretty common technique for the more low-effort kind of content farms, or for certain types of extruded game product.

    There was some fairly popular web-based strategy game some years back that was barely distinguishable from 90s-era BBS door games (you may know the type - buy land/soldiers, fight other players to take their lands, most of the interface is text-based) where the ads got racier and racier to the point where they were just close-up images of cleavage that linked to something completely unrelated. The skeevy sites we're seeing in the ads are doing the same thing.

    It's really dumb, but if you're a cynical enough advertiser and hardly paying for the content you're posting - or, in the case of content farms, stealing - it's one way of trying to make people notice the site without having to go to the effort of actually proving you have anything of value there.

    NitsuaTofystedeth
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Nitsua wrote: »
    And what’s weird about the newsgeekz is that the site isn’t NSFW, it is just boring articles. Why they have to advertise like that I have no idea, outside of the fact their work is derivative and just pure drivel.

    It's a pretty common technique for the more low-effort kind of content farms, or for certain types of extruded game product.

    There was some fairly popular web-based strategy game some years back that was barely distinguishable from 90s-era BBS door games (you may know the type - buy land/soldiers, fight other players to take their lands, most of the interface is text-based) where the ads got racier and racier to the point where they were just close-up images of cleavage that linked to something completely unrelated. The skeevy sites we're seeing in the ads are doing the same thing.

    It's really dumb, but if you're a cynical enough advertiser and hardly paying for the content you're posting - or, in the case of content farms, stealing - it's one way of trying to make people notice the site without having to go to the effort of actually proving you have anything of value there.

    Evony! "Come play, my lord" with barely clothed woman.

    Mobile games do this shit still too.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    ReynoldsH3KnucklesNitsuaTofystedethRingoOrcaspool32cB557Aldo38thDoeCambiataElvenshae
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 26
    More super NSFW Newzgeeks started showing up again recently.
    Rw39oYK.png

    E: It's the same as JaysonFour reported a bit above. Ah, well, still showing up at any rate then.

    ArcTangent on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting more pornish popcornnews ads. Safari, iPad Alabama

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    No adware/malware, I containerize (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/) the fuck out of every website I browse so cookies don't spread and ad profiles don't get built on me:

    [im.g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/39/2zcozlho7xr9.png[/img]

    Firefox 88.0.1
    Syracuse, NY

    I occasionally get the porny (edit: and right-wing) ads that others get, or stuff like the above which is better but still ehhhh. Also occasionally get local advertisements based off my IP address' geoloc.

    Quick aside, I was wondering just how fucking broken the ad system was to be promoting a WoW expansion that's over a decade and a half old.

    ... then I remembered what timeline we are in.

    He/Him
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    No adware/malware, I containerize (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/) the fuck out of every website I browse so cookies don't spread and ad profiles don't get built on me:

    [im.g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/39/2zcozlho7xr9.png[/img]

    Firefox 88.0.1
    Syracuse, NY

    I occasionally get the porny (edit: and right-wing) ads that others get, or stuff like the above which is better but still ehhhh. Also occasionally get local advertisements based off my IP address' geoloc.

    Quick aside, I was wondering just how fucking broken the ad system was to be promoting a WoW expansion that's over a decade and a half old.

    ... then I remembered what timeline we are in.

    They are advertising for it because WoW classic is launching Burning Crusade (or has launched it). The major thing is that this is an ad that goes against Blizzard’s terms of service… a company that you pay to power level your character and likely even buy gold from them. Which I think is the reason the person posted it. Would be odd for PA to promote that, and would likely draw the ire of the game company, which PA also doesn’t want.

    H3KnucklesbowenShadowfireJaysonFourCambiata
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    No adware/malware, I containerize (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/) the fuck out of every website I browse so cookies don't spread and ad profiles don't get built on me:

    [im.g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/39/2zcozlho7xr9.png[/img]

    Firefox 88.0.1
    Syracuse, NY

    I occasionally get the porny (edit: and right-wing) ads that others get, or stuff like the above which is better but still ehhhh. Also occasionally get local advertisements based off my IP address' geoloc.

    Quick aside, I was wondering just how fucking broken the ad system was to be promoting a WoW expansion that's over a decade and a half old.

    ... then I remembered what timeline we are in.

    They are advertising for it because WoW classic is launching Burning Crusade (or has launched it). The major thing is that this is an ad that goes against Blizzard’s terms of service… a company that you pay to power level your character and likely even buy gold from them. Which I think is the reason the person posted it. Would be odd for PA to promote that, and would likely draw the ire of the game company, which PA also doesn’t want.

    Yeah adsense in general just kind of scrapes the website (in this case the forum) to get an idea for the kind of content it should advertise. So since we talk about things like politics and games and tits, that's what we get.

    Unfortunately these things are devoid of any sort of context like why we talk about all those things, so it's ultimately just crunching the frequency of the discussion and what the user visits personally and what others who have similar tastes also visit. So if you are browsing the threads that shit on republicans or right wing politics, chances are you'll get advertised right wing politic stuff because it doesn't know that you're shitting on them, just that you're talking about them.

    They either have to be babied or you have to practically pick the advertisements by hand... which ends up not even being worth it IME. It's something like 15 cents per view, more if they click ... and with a higher technology user base of this forum (adblockers) and fairly low traffic volume... it feels fairly worthless to me. I still question the motivation for what feels like a drop in the bucket for a company making $1.5-6.1 million a year in revenue.

    Seems more of a hassle than it's worth tbh.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    JaysonFourNo-Quarter
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks 😉Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    More super NSFW Newzgeeks started showing up again recently.

    Personally, I am significantly more offended by the poor grammar used in that ad than I am of a see through dress.

    Still though, how is it so difficult for an ad company to serve a (relatively) family friendly forum ads that don't have rude titties all over them? I don't know anything about selling adspace on a webforum because I've never sold adspace on a webforum, but I would assume it would be a lot easier than it apparently is.

    NitsuakimeJaysonFourH3KnucklesCambiataElvenshae
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Getting more pornish popcornnews ads. Safari, iPad Alabama

    Same here (FF/desktop/Nova Scotia).

    The popcornnews and newzgeekz guys are either the same company or using the same ad company - I've started seeing porny ads from the latter rebranded as the former in the last day or so, so I kind of wonder if they're trying to circumvent filters.

    Ringo
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just got one of that newzgeeks best redheads in Hollywood and one of those worst wedding dresses ones.
    Safari, iOS, London.
    I was unaware that the iPad had an incognito mode

    Tap the two overlapping squares in the top-right to see the tab screen. Tap the “Private” button next to the + on the tab screen. You can now add incognito/private tabs.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Ringo
  • every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited June 1
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Can anyone receiving NRA ads give me a general location? You can shoot me
    Is exactly how I read it

    every day's great on
    Elvenshae
  • every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    Well I'm glad that you listened to the hordes of PA forum users who were demanding ADVERTISING!

    If there's one thing we need more of on the interwebs, it's definitely ads. Preferably intrusive, pop-up ads with tracking.

    Thank you PA for respecting the wishes of all of us for more advertising, pop-ups and tracking! What's not to love?

  • every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited June 1
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Just got one of that newzgeeks best redheads in Hollywood and one of those worst wedding dresses ones.
    Safari, iOS, London.
    Working as intended.

    every day's great on
    No-Quarter
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    This thread isn't really intended for feedback on the concept of advertising.

    Cambiata
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Seeing the same type of ads as newzgeeks (ex: 25 most beautiful redheads in Hollywood) for a site named called “popcornews”

    Safari/iPad/PA
    I had this pop up for me today with a topless redhead. I mean she was good looking, but not great on a company laptop.

  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Yeah, both “Popcornews” and “Newzgeek” are back with a vengeance.

    JaysonFouriTunesIsEvil
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    Chrome, Windows 10, Beamsville, Ontario, Canada.

    I've never seen an ad on the forum. Not one. I am not a member. I just see a big blank spot. Not running any ad blockers, just standard built-in Chrome pop-up blocking:

    mh3rvchylaxx.png

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    KcdtHKW.png

    This is a far right nutjob push poll kind of thing, as if "True Patriot Polling" didn't make that obvious.

    E:
    This porn site is back too.
    3mUHcK9.png

    ArcTangent on
    override367zepherin
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The human trafficking stuff's back:

    flqk9te883mr.png

    I've seen three or four variations on that (specifying Russia or Ukraine) just clicking through my usual threads here today, which is a lot denser than the sketchy ads usually are here.

    (Still desktop/Firefox/NS)

    override367
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 18
    q00zdxyu6whb.png

    Chrome
    PC
    Tukwila, WA

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    PreacherShadowfire
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I was on the edge about reporting the Fox News stuff when I started seeing it today, but yoooooo. Infowars? Yeeeeah, no.

    cW9uIAO.png

    ZibblsnrtElvenshaeShadowfireoverride367zepherin
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting some more questionable ads from CallMeChat, which seems to be an adult chat room thing

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    Preacheroverride367
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Whoo, porn.

    tbFY0N1.png

    override367
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Just got the Virtual Mate one again.

    SW Michigan, running the latest iOS on my iPad.

    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Had porn site toptoon+ porn site pop up on windows 10 PC.

  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm getting those and the trafficking ones basically about every other pageview now. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

    (For some reason, when I'm browsing the D&D Supreme Court thread it's every page view, but only there in particular. Buh?)

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 30
    I am now getting an Apartments.com advertisement that autoplays audio. I do not like it and while its not inappropriate it is indeed inappropriate

    Edit: PC, Seattle WA

    Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
Sign In or Register to comment.