As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our [house] in the middle of our house

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    yeah i'd try to communicate to your renters: hey nbd but just let me know about this stuff asap and send pictures if you can, it lets me help you.

zkHcp.jpg
    3cl1ps3minor incident
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    who's history here details the insane stuff they went through with that property and getting it back

In fairness, that nightmare was my fiancee's house, the one I live in currently. The house I'm renting is the one I lived in for 5 years beforehand, the first house I ever bought. I went through a separation, a divorce, and I cared for and ultimately lost two of the sweetest cats who ever lived in that house. I've planted trees there that are just this year taller than me. I've put so much effort into that house that my back hurts just thinking about it. So when I moved in with my fiancee I didn't want to sell it. I did think about it, I did a bunch of research to see if I could guarantee that it went to someone who was going to live in it, instead of someone who was going to flip it or rent it out.

I can't do the story of the year that followed justice, but the house I moved into is the one MegaMan001 is referencing. Long-time posters in the thread probably remember it, it was a weekly occurrence for months that we were finding serious problems because the family who rented the place prior to it being sold never reported it to the seller. Stuff like the kitchen sink draining directly into the basement, windows that had no glass in them and were open to the elements, shattered interior doors, crosses painted in blood above doorways (I'm not even sure I mentioned that bit to the thread). I couldn't focus on fixing the things I'd have wanted to fix in my house to even make it sellable.

I also knew of a few young girls who were looking for a place to live and the kind of rents they were looking at. I figured I could give them a good renting experience, kind of mentor them on adulthood and caring for a place, and defray the cost of keeping the house.

They're paying to stay in the house, so yes, they're helping to finance my mortgage. Month over month I'm losing a few hundred dollars, but I will benefit when I sell the house. But when I made the post earlier it wasn't to engender sympathy for landlords, it was an expression of frustration at the things that can go wrong caring for a home, something I think we all understand. I've got a lot of patience for these girls, I know they're still learning to live on their own. I'm trying to be the best, friendliest landlord I can. I'll drop almost anything to go help them out, but I don't want them to live in a place without a working shower because they've got too much anxiety to shoot me a text.

• neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I've always had good landlords that fix things when i ask. So have my friends. *shrug emoji*

edit: at least easy things like a broken oven or clogged drains. I did have one that didn't really wanna do a lot about swarming termites. I think he knew he had to tent the whole 30 unit building and really didn't want to.

neverreally on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't want to give Delz a hard time specifically, because they've always seemed like a good person, but I do want to say that I 100% understand not bringing up every issue to the landlord as it happens. In a lot of people's experience, bringing up a problem to a landlord rarely leads to anything good. At best it'll get "fixed" in 3 months, and at worst, they get mad about it and take it out on you either by being a general asshole, or jacking up your rent.

Not talking to landlords, like not talking to cops, is a learned survival technique.

These are young and inexperienced people so it's probably more about just not knowing that they should call the landlord sooner. And yeah, maybe some fear that they'll get in trouble for "letting" the bathtub clog or the toilet break - but if that's their fear it more likely comes from growing up with a parent who yells at you when things break through no fault of your own.

Also this kind of thing is going to vary a lot depending on the area you're renting in; I've never had problems with landlords fixing things when I ask. OTOH I've also only ever lived in apartments run by megacorporations, so they have a full staff to handle maintenance and a maintenance report line. It's the equivalent of putting in a ticket with your utility, someone is going to come out. Renting a house is likely a different experience and wholly dependent on how good a person the owner is.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I've always had good landlords that fix things when i ask. So have my friends. *shrug emoji*

edit: at least easy things like a broken oven or clogged drains. I did have one that didn't really wanna do a lot about swarming termites. I think he knew he had to tent the whole 30 unit building and really didn't want to.

Mine were fine as well. By college standards I was in nicer/less dumpy places so that helped I'm sure.

As a thank you, I did my crosses in water-soluable paint

MichaelLC on
    Cambiata
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Let me tell you guys, if you've never had terrible fucking landlords, I'm very happy for you and you're extremely lucky. I'd consider myself a great tenant and I've gotten kicked out of two apartments on a whim, and had to threaten two other landlords with legal action.

And then another one decided, mid-lease, that he should be able to use part of my apartment for his personal storage.

And then there was the one who made me drive 45 minutes to hand deliver a rent check and wouldn't accept it by mail.

And the one who hit on my then girlfriend/now wife all the time and then once threatened to kill her.

And the one who decided (also mid-lease) that I couldn't use the driveway anymore because they wanted to store their work van there. In a neighborhood with zero street parking.

And the one who tried to fine me $1200 for new landscaping because two of his bushes died a couple of months after I moved in so I "must be doing something to them".

And the one who said he needed to have an emergency meeting with my wife and I about the apartment, but then proceeded to pull out his laptop and give us his Herbalife MLM powerpoint sales pitch for almost an hour.

And I can't leave off the ones who rented us their illegal basement apartment, had a pipe burst a month after we moved in, ruined almost everything we owned, and then tried to make us pay for half of the $3000 plumber bill.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    adytum
    Welp! My cast iron drain pipes are nearly rusted through! Looking at $4-8k to redo them. And the house needs a new roof in the next year or two, so that "renting at a loss" math is about to get even worse!

Cambiata wrote: »
    maybe some fear that they'll get in trouble for "letting" the bathtub clog or the toilet break - but if that's their fear it more likely comes from growing up with a parent who yells at you when things break through no fault of your own.

Ooooohhh... yeah, given what I know about the renters, this tracks.

minor incident
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm sure there will be some issues, but good communication from you will eventually lead to good communication from them, and then hopefully everyone's life is a little better.

BullheadElvenshae
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    maybe some fear that they'll get in trouble for "letting" the bathtub clog or the toilet break - but if that's their fear it more likely comes from growing up with a parent who yells at you when things break through no fault of your own.

Ooooohhh... yeah, given what I know about the renters, this tracks.

Ah, damn. If that's the case it's gonna take a little deprogramming. Might need to sit them down and have a talk about how if something breaks you won't be mad at them because it happens, it'll just be helpful to know as soon as possible.

It took me a few years after living in a different town from my dad before I realized I could just take my car in for regular maintenance and repairs and there would never again be the need to do my own car maintenance if I didn't want to.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah shit. You just reminded me that I spent the whole bus ride listening to some kid on his phone (well, no, he was a full grown adult, but an inept one) trying to get someone to tell him if he had to return a rental car for repair if he broke a plastic brake light cover by backing into a pole

I was gonna wait until he was off the phone and say "psst - a brake light cover will run you $10-$20 on ebay, if youve got the car for more than a few days you can replace it yourself and nobody ever needs to know." But I got distracted when I got off the bus and forgot.

DrZiplockCambiataElvenshaeSkeithDisruptedCapitalistMechMantis
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Very well, good luck to Delzhand. I don't remember any specific post of theirs, but seeing anyone complain about renters gets my hackles up.

There isn't much that doesn't get your hackles up, and while I won't speak for everyone in my position, I know that I'm generally not comfortable posting about work or salary shit here because I carry the title of VP, have people that report to me, make a good salary, and while I have scraped and worked for every bit of that, you have absolutely shit on people like me. Just like the random person who you don't know (though they are a YTer) that you labeled a "class traitor."

It's the same when (though I know this isn't you) people instantly start shitting on teaching or shitty teachers - when there are a ton of teachers here who are being made to feel unwelcome.

If there are other landlords here, so be it. They are not the problem. The gigantic/international corporations who are buying up affordable housing are.
    If there are teachers here, they weren't your teachers. They are not the problem.
    If there are people here who make over six figures - they are not the problem.

I get the working-class-call-everyone-comrades-vibe that you're going for, but you're turning off and turning away people who are sympathetic to your cause.

@Delzhand - you do you, you'll find plenty of sympathy here.

(of course as I write this, everyone is doing salary disclosure in the job thread...)

DrZiplock on
    neverreallyCambiatajmcdonaldMegaMan001PeenBullheadElvenshaelonelyahavaadytumSimpsoniaMechMantis
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm cranky, sorry

idk if you're scared off from supporting labor & housing rights because of some rough attitude

i don't think you're really that much of a support to the cause.

it's not just corporate landlords, many slum lords are "mom & pop" shops
    if you make over six figures you should be uncomfortable that the system values you so much more than so many others

also lol at bringing up what looks like a throwaway comment from 2 years ago.

zkHcp.jpg
    Magell
    The good news is that the girls have other places to catch a shower in the short term, which will give me some breathing room to get more quotes for replacing the pipes. I'm all too aware of the contractor's tendency to go "you ought to just tear all this out and replace it with new stuff". I told the guy I had to do homeowner due diligence and get a few quotes and he hit me with the ol' "we're not the cheapest but we do the best work" line, which I considered calling him out for but he's just doing his job.

He said he could replace the drum trap with a p-trap but it would still be $1300 and it wouldn't subtract anything from the quote for replacing the cast iron.

I still find it hard to believe the issue could be that bad! I moved out 8 months ago and the tub drained just fine, for it to just stop up with no evidence of hair anywhere upstream. I'm tempted to take the shopvac over there and drain the tub, then try to pop the top off the drum trap myself.

I also literally just now remembered there's a cleanout tap along the basement stairs. In all my years of owning the house I've never opened it but it seems like maybe now's the time.

I now have 16 trees planted. Some of them are sprouting leaves now, too!

mtmsn80q6k7w.jpg
    25lyxbjpjfd4.jpg

I figured out a better system for planting using my out of shape, easily winded body. I use my hour long lunch to dig a hole and fill it with organic matter, topping it off with the soil from the hole, then go back to work to rest and cool off. Then when work is over, I go out with a garden knife, 4 saplings, my wire for tree sculpting and a full watering can. I make small holes in the area I worked on earlier and am able to quickly and easily plant all of my trees and wrap them with wire for tree training. Then I water everything and I'm done.

JusticeJimBobtheMonkeyDelzhandexpendablejmcdonaldGnizmomrpakuPeenBullheadElvenshaeJedocSporkAndrewmatthias00obolon84
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The good news is that the girls have other places to catch a shower in the short term, which will give me some breathing room to get more quotes for replacing the pipes. I'm all too aware of the contractor's tendency to go "you ought to just tear all this out and replace it with new stuff". I told the guy I had to do homeowner due diligence and get a few quotes and he hit me with the ol' "we're not the cheapest but we do the best work" line, which I considered calling him out for but he's just doing his job.

He said he could replace the drum trap with a p-trap but it would still be $1300 and it wouldn't subtract anything from the quote for replacing the cast iron.

I still find it hard to believe the issue could be that bad! I moved out 8 months ago and the tub drained just fine, for it to just stop up with no evidence of hair anywhere upstream. I'm tempted to take the shopvac over there and drain the tub, then try to pop the top off the drum trap myself.

I also literally just now remembered there's a cleanout tap along the basement stairs. In all my years of owning the house I've never opened it but it seems like maybe now's the time.

Now is definitely the time, but that is going to be amazingly unpleasant I have to imagine. I wish you the best of luck, and the strongest stomach.

CambiataBullhead3cl1ps3pimentolonelyahavaN1tSt4lkeradytumASimPersonFishman
    turns out I was too optimistic to believe I could keep up the pace of digging planting of the last two days. The heat cranking up is most of the problem I think. For today at least, I am having to split up my routine into three parts instead of two. 1) shovel as many leaves into my wheel barrow as it can hold. Go inside and rest. 2) Dig a hole and fill it with leaves. Go inside and rest. 3) Plant 4 saplings Go inside and rest.

Maybe in the future I will just fill the wheel barrow at night so I can do the other two parts during the day. For today that means probably no planting since I don't have another 1 hour break.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Frustrating week with the renters.

One of them lost their keys on Saturday so I went to Lowes to make a new set for them, and when I dropped them off the yard was knee high grass, so I had to remind them it's their responsibility to mow the lawn.

Monday was the first so I text them to let them know how much the rent is (it varies because I pay the utilities), but that I can't come pick it up that day.

Tuesday I ask if anyone is home so I can come get rent, and also since they've been in the house for 6 months I want to do a walkthrough and check stuff I don't normally look at. Since I want to go into bedrooms I figure it's polite to give them some time to clean up. At 9:30pm they text me to tell me the tub is stopped up, but they'll be around all day Thursday. That's fine, I say, I'll come snake it Thursday when I get rent.

I get over there yesterday evening (thankfully the yard is mowed) and the tub is like... half full of water and crud that plunged up. And there's a post it note on the other toilet saying the water is turned off because the tank wouldn't fill. The toilet needs a new flapper gasket, which is like a 2 dollar fix and since I was JUST at Lowes I could have taken care of that at least. After bailing out the tub with a trash can, I try to snake it and the snake comes up completely clean. I remove the stopper mechanism entirely since it seems like a hard block but it doesn't help. So now I've got to hire a plumber.

I suppose one week of bullshit every 6 months isn't so bad, but it isn't encouraging that I find out about all this stuff when I say I need to come and look at things. Makes me wonder how long it's actually been a problem.

What's worse is this is totally landlord stuff! Drains get clogged! Toilets run! Just tell me when it happens!

You may be able to avoid the call to a plumber if you have access to a way to block airflow from the overflow on the tub. Usually a couple layers of painter's tape is all you need. Once you get that airflow problem solved, you've got a closed seal on the tub and can potentially just plunge it out. This is, however, assuming the problem isn't something like a root in the pipe or some such other fix that ranges in the thousands to solve.

StrikorMichaelLCjmcdonald
    Ya'll. I greatly underestimated how much harder it is to dig a hole in 94 degree heat versus 84 degree heat. I figured, it's only 10 degrees more, so that's like 10 percent harder? Fuck no, it's twice as hard.

On the plus side, after I overheated myself for 20 minutes digging a hole, I decided to step into the pool to cool off. The water is still to cold to really enjoy swimming (it was 79 degrees when I checked at the hottest part of the day, probably a couple of degrees less when I stepped in), but I was so overheated the icy water was glorious. If I hadn't had to go back to work I would have stayed longer.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    With manual labor, heat scales the work on a log scale.

The daystar is merciless and unrelenting.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    DoodmannCambiata3cl1ps3
    voidcx0mv1vn.png
    in case anyone doing house work outside isn't familiar with this chart.

zkHcp.jpg
    Bullhead3cl1ps3JedocCambiata
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The thing I don't like about that heat index chart is that it seems to imply the white means you're safe from heat stroke, which isn't the case. If you're dehydrated and hot enough to sweat, you can absolutely harm yourself even if it's 50 degrees outside.

The heat has considerably slowed me down, but as of now I have 26 saplings in the ground, which is just over half of the saplings I bought.

cltqb45yuk08.jpg
    z9oiyd6k6lug.jpg

I've also marked a rough area where the door will be (facing the river, of course). Sadly it doesn't appear that I have bought enough saplings to cover this circle, since 26 isn't actually covering half, even if you discount the area that will be left empty for the door. I'm going to wait on purchasing more trees until I have a better idea of how many more I'll need, though.

mrpakuJedocSporkAndrewBullheadBlackbird SR-71Cmcp
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ex

Are they replacing every pipe in the house? To go from the tub to most likely the toilet nearby is like a half a day job and shouldn’t cost more then about $1200.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Can you put up a Christmas tree in the middle so it looks like they're all worshipping a pagan tree idol?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    ElvenshaeStrikorSporkAndrewBullhead
    edited May 2023
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Can you put up a Christmas tree in the middle so it looks like they're all worshipping a pagan tree idol?

Listen, I'm not going to waste tree space on a dumb joke. Once the dome has grown satisfactorily, imma start sculpting some chairs or benches inside, ala:

d89l90cuwk0t.gif
    6ggf926grf5f.jpg
    7vvvoxzkf51a.jpg

Although I'm already starting to question if I really made the circle for the dome big enough. But I figure I can let these guys grow in the ground for a while, make 'em grow up straight, then replant further out a year or two from now if I want a bigger dome.

Cambiata on
  • neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Don't limit your imagination to a tree chair. Create a tree COUCH.

MichaelLCElvenshaeBullheadBlackbird SR-71C
    Sure, sure, when they're grown and responsible. Saplinghood is a time to really get out there and experiment and ALL HAIL THE OVERTREE

GDdCWMm.jpg
    CambiataDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaePolaritie
    edited May 2023
    Don't limit your imagination to a tree chair. Create a tree COUCH.

A semi-circle chair bench around the living gazebo would be just the thing. Unfortunately there's no real way to make a couch until someone discovers a tree that has soft, cotton-padding-like bark in the manner of comfortable upholstery.
    Sure, sure, when they're grown and responsible. Saplinghood is a time to really get out there and experiment and ALL HAIL THE OVERTREE

If I were really going to do this, the tree-idol would be a young sequoia.

Cambiata on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yo that's some great druid magic you've got going on there

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Cambiatamrpaku
    Since the weather is so mild today and I already had the soil prepared, I was able to plant four more. 30 trees genuinely does seem like the midway point, taking into account the gap where the door will be. I only have 21 trees left (I bought 50 in total but I just counted, they accidentally gave me 1 for free) which obviously isn't enough, but I refuse to buy more trees until I'm almost or completely out of the trees I have because of how slow I am at planting. The last thing I want is a backlog of plants dying because I can't get them into the ground soon enough.

webguy20 wrote: »

Are they replacing every pipe in the house? To go from the tub to most likely the toilet nearby is like a half a day job and shouldn’t cost more then about $1200.

The second plumber actually asked me what it was I wanted to replace instead of giving me a "tear it all out" quote. It probably helped that I had the working knowledge from the first plumber. The last stretch of cast iron pipe actually looks fine and probably didn't need to be replaced, so he quoted me a two day, two person job to replace the bad sections, $4k. Seeing as it was $3k cheaper than the first option and I really wanted to get the renters a working shower, I said go for it. This guy might actually be the same guy that did work for us in the nightmare house. He's also a lot older. The first guy was probably in his late twenties and this guy has been plumbing longer than the first guy's been alive.

If there's a plumber who would do that work for $1200 in this area, I haven't found them, but I also don't have a word of mouth network for smaller contractor references.

Also, amusingly, I went to the house to meet the plumber and the OTHER toilet, the one I didn't just fix, was running constantly, with the SAME PROBLEM, and they HADN'T TOLD ME. It took me 3 minutes to reach into the tank and fix the O-ring.

jmcdonaldBullheadtynic
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So, I've had my current fridge for a couple years. When we first got it, we thought the freezer was over-aggressive with it's cool setting. So I tried adjusting the temperature setting; the controls were fairly simple with a choice between three settings: max, med, min. It didn't noticeably improve, so I just figured it was a very cold drawer.

This week, I had cause to read the manual again. And I noticed something.

The temperature control panel controls how cold the freezer is.
    Temperature = Max sets the freezer to the lowest temperature. Temperature min is the highest.

Max is low and Min is high.

I...

*headdesk*

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    StrikorEtheaMichaelLCexpendablepimentoJedocPeenwebguy20lonelyahavaCambiataSkeithSporkAndrewFrylockHolmesBullheadPerrsun
    That's a really fun linguistic quirk that can start an argument in any group of four or more people. When you turn the air conditioner up, does your house get colder or warmer?

It's one of those things where people are shocked and outraged to discover that other people have the opposite interpretation in a way that just doesn't happen with most language differences, and it doesn't seem to be strongly regionally or culturally bound. Try it at your next dinner party!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    expendableminor incidentDisruptedCapitalistElvenshae
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

The second plumber actually asked me what it was I wanted to replace instead of giving me a "tear it all out" quote. It probably helped that I had the working knowledge from the first plumber. The last stretch of cast iron pipe actually looks fine and probably didn't need to be replaced, so he quoted me a two day, two person job to replace the bad sections, $4k. Seeing as it was $3k cheaper than the first option and I really wanted to get the renters a working shower, I said go for it. This guy might actually be the same guy that did work for us in the nightmare house. He's also a lot older. The first guy was probably in his late twenties and this guy has been plumbing longer than the first guy's been alive.

If there's a plumber who would do that work for $1200 in this area, I haven't found them, but I also don't have a word of mouth network for smaller contractor references.

Also, amusingly, I went to the house to meet the plumber and the OTHER toilet, the one I didn't just fix, was running constantly, with the SAME PROBLEM, and they HADN'T TOLD ME. It took me 3 minutes to reach into the tank and fix the O-ring.

First guy might have quoted you a "I don't want to do this" price.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    StrikorFishmanschussDisruptedCapitalistN1tSt4lkerElvenshae
    That's a really fun linguistic quirk that can start an argument in any group of four or more people. When you turn the air conditioner up, does your house get colder or warmer?

It's one of those things where people are shocked and outraged to discover that other people have the opposite interpretation in a way that just doesn't happen with most language differences, and it doesn't seem to be strongly regionally or culturally bound. Try it at your next dinner party!

This has happened so many times in my house. Because my brain interprets “up” or “higher” as a measure of the power of the air conditioner, where as my wife strictly interprets it as an overall temperature.

DisruptedCapitalistElvenshae
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife and I mean the same thing when we say that we're "turning the heat/air up/down" and we still check when one or the other says it to make sure we're saying the same thing. "Turning the heat up" is a little more intuitive than "turning the air up" but you never know!

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023

My GF and I have different meanings of it. I always refer to it whichever way the temp is going and she goes with the how much power its using.

Magell on
    Elvenshae
    First guy might have quoted you a "I don't want to do this" price.

Possibly. I think what's more likely is something I've observed with system technicians in a variety of fields, and have even been guilty of myself at work. Whenever you've got to get into a system that someone else has designed and maintained, and is less than optimal, there's a tendency to want to start over. Whether it's refactoring code, replacing plumbing or electrical work, engine repair... existing structures force you to utilize workarounds and hacks that you don't have to when you build something from the ground up. In my experience, novices tend to think that cleanliness and consistency are more important than economy, while people with more experience are more willing to work with what's already present, even if that means a less aesthetic solution. So I think a lot of younger workers tend to throw out "replacement" quotes instead of "repair" quotes. Why fix a rear differential/debug a suboptimal query/plan a city park around a tree when it's easier and you can bill more to tear out the old and put in new?

That said, I've had an electrician in his 60s tell me I ought to rewire my whole house so maybe it's more about flexibility of thought than age or experience.