As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our [house] in the middle of our house

19596979899101»

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Magell wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's a really fun linguistic quirk that can start an argument in any group of four or more people. When you turn the air conditioner up, does your house get colder or warmer?

It's one of those things where people are shocked and outraged to discover that other people have the opposite interpretation in a way that just doesn't happen with most language differences, and it doesn't seem to be strongly regionally or culturally bound. Try it at your next dinner party!

My GF and I have different meanings of it. I always refer to it whichever way the temp is going and she goes with the how much power its using.

I express in terms of power. "Turn the heat/air up" means increase the output. Though turning it to 11 would be bad for either.

MichaelLC on
    pimento
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    get a swamp cooler and then you have to be specific because then up/down basically means nothing

zkHcp.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    First guy might have quoted you a "I don't want to do this" price.

Possibly. I think what's more likely is something I've observed with system technicians in a variety of fields, and have even been guilty of myself at work. Whenever you've got to get into a system that someone else has designed and maintained, and is less than optimal, there's a tendency to want to start over. Whether it's refactoring code, replacing plumbing or electrical work, engine repair... existing structures force you to utilize workarounds and hacks that you don't have to when you build something from the ground up. In my experience, novices tend to think that cleanliness and consistency are more important than economy, while people with more experience are more willing to work with what's already present, even if that means a less aesthetic solution. So I think a lot of younger workers tend to throw out "replacement" quotes instead of "repair" quotes. Why fix a rear differential/debug a suboptimal query/plan a city park around a tree when it's easier and you can bill more to tear out the old and put in new?

That said, I've had an electrician in his 60s tell me I ought to rewire my whole house so maybe it's more about flexibility of thought than age or experience.

Very true. My dad is a general contractor and their philosophy is that if they street from scratch they can do it right. They hate remodels. Something is always fucked up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    tynic3cl1ps3pimento
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I happened to remember this particular episode of This American Life recently, and wanted to share it out because despite being 10 years old, it's just as relevant today. It's about housing being tied to how good a school you can go to and racist housing policies that fucked people over and continue to do so today:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/512/house-rules

Also, in re-listening to this episode I learned: Mitt Romney's dad was fucking baller.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Doodmann
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's a really fun linguistic quirk that can start an argument in any group of four or more people. When you turn the air conditioner up, does your house get colder or warmer?

It's one of those things where people are shocked and outraged to discover that other people have the opposite interpretation in a way that just doesn't happen with most language differences, and it doesn't seem to be strongly regionally or culturally bound. Try it at your next dinner party!

If I turn up the AC or turn down the heat, it gets colder. But if I turn down the AC or turn up the heat, it gets warmer.

Gnizmo
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I solve the problem by saying "thermostat" so it clearly is temperature and not power because there is no rhyme nor reason to who uses which version of "turn up/turn down."

ChallDelzhand
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    I solve the problem by saying "thermostat" so it clearly is temperature and not power because there is no rhyme nor reason to who uses which version of "turn up/turn down."

The simple solution is just yelling. "Do you want it WARMER or COLDER? Okay, how much colder? ONE COLDER? Okay done"

N1tSt4lkerElvenshaelonelyahavaDisruptedCapitalistPerrsunJusticeadytum
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    ElvenshaeDisruptedCapitalistMichaelLCJedocPerrsun
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This old house thread is a little ragged around the edges, but it's got good bones. I think we can renovate it and flip it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    CambiataElvenshaetynicMichaelLCFishman
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Strip back seventy, maybe eighty pages of posts, bet you got some quality hardwood under there.

Cambiata3cl1ps3ElvenshaeSkeithFishman
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    tynic wrote: »
    Strip back seventy, maybe eighty pages of posts, bet you got some quality hardwood under there.

Nope, turns out OP glued tile to the hardwood, and also used deck screws somehow.

MichaelLC on
    CambiataDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeN1tSt4lkerJusticeSporkAndrew
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Turns out Vanilla uses knob and tube wiring, going to be a complete gut.

steam_sig.png
    MichaelLCN1tSt4lker
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nah, we got rid of the tube recently, but the knob is still kicking around here somewhere.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    CambiataMichaelLCexpendableDrZiplockDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeN1tSt4lkerFishmanBullheadSporkAndrew