As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our [house] in the middle of our house

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I can still understand an HOA in a condo situation where you're sharing walls and there's common areas, but in a neighborhood of detached homes I still find it baffling.

To keep property values up, it's important for our neighborhood to maintain a certain tone. A specific hue. A very regimented range of pigmentation.

Yeah my HOA only allows something like 56 different pigmentations for our house exteriors and it-

-Oh. Right.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My neighbors had an unbelievably loud party across the street on Saturday until 2 in the morning, like giant outdoor tent/live amplified music loud, and on the one hand they were obviously celebrating the fuck out of something and I don't want to harsh that buzz but on the other hand it's a GD pandemic and also what the fuck shut your loud ass speakers off by like 1 please.

We didn't call the cops or anything, nobody else in the neighborhood did either, but I need there to be an agency that just goes and tells people to turn their loud-ass party down so my wife and I can sleep with the windows open.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    My neighbors had an unbelievably loud party across the street on Saturday until 2 in the morning, like giant outdoor tent/live amplified music loud, and on the one hand they were obviously celebrating the fuck out of something and I don't want to harsh that buzz but on the other hand it's a GD pandemic and also what the fuck shut your loud ass speakers off by like 1 please.

We didn't call the cops or anything, nobody else in the neighborhood did either, but I need there to be an agency that just goes and tells people to turn their loud-ass party down so my wife and I can sleep with the windows open.

it's called shouting "it's 1am *insert insult of choice*" out your window in their general direction.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I mean a. they'd never have heard me and b. it was a rollicking party with primarily Latin American Spanish speaking folks in it. That detail isn't germane to the story in its original form but it is why I, the white guy on the corner, don't want to become known as the neighborhood crank who shouts at people about their parties.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Anything past like....midnight becomes free game on being the neighborhood crank.
    I mean, the party goers are probably going to be poopy about it. But they are also being dicks and can eat shit.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah you call the cop's non emergency line.

They'll come tell them to keep it down, they won't break up the party unless they're repeat offenders or some really pissy neighbor calls repeatedly.

Most towns have noise laws past 10pm in most areas (sometimes it gets extended in the summer), but almost all of them are hard cut off at midnight unless you live super rural and your closest neighbor is half a mile away.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't trust the cops not to fuck that up, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I assume Peen lives in the US, and Peen has already mentioned the party people were non-white.

There's a non-zero chance the cops kill somebody on that call.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean I'd rather go chat first before calling cops. But I think a fuck ton of noise past midnight shouldn't really be defensible and hopefully shouldn't need cops.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Under different circumstances I might have gone to say something but it was clearly an Event and there's no way they'd break it up just because I asked nicely. They were breaking the heck out of the local noise ordinance, we did check, but again I just feel squicky about calling the cops on people. Like, there was real tension in my neighborhood when things with ICE got bad there, my kids' elementary school sent out a "what to do if ICE raids your house" PSA to parents, I don't want to be the guy calling in Johnny Law so I can sleep better.

I will bitch about it on the Internet, that's for sure, but it'd need to be pretty extreme for me to do anything else.

• Options
    I want to get a new fan setup for my top-of-wall garage vent, since without a fan to blow air out the air doesn't actually leave the vent, and I'd prefer my garage not be literal 150 degrees all summer. Is there such a thing as a pipe fan for less than $80 though what the fuck is this shit? I don't need a 37 horsepower fan I just want something to shunt air out efficiently and, if possibly, with the least noise I can get.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I can still understand an HOA in a condo situation where you're sharing walls and there's common areas, but in a neighborhood of detached homes I still find it baffling.

Different HOA's have differing levels of power. My mom's neighborhood for example had an HOA that all they did was keep up the small neighborhood park. They did talk at one point about installing speed bumps on one street as folks were using it to cut a busy intersection.

That's sort of my preferred HOA, $10 a month or something and it's really just a way to keep communication between home owners around what's going on in the neighborhood.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sorce wrote: »

I realize we all post on penny-arcade and we see a lot of the dumb shit cops do echoed in these threads, but 99% of interactions with cops are not bad. This isn't a hill I'm going to die on, or source like I'm in D&D, either though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

You can have common areas in a neighborhood as well - my neighborhood has a park and walking paths. In addition, neighborhoods can have utilities like common wells and septic drainage fields.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    When I bought my house the HOA was that type of small HOA that just manages the shared spaces and whatnot, but then it got switched over to a new HOA like 6 months later that gets on people's asses for shit in the most unfriendly and counter-productive way I've ever seen (including the various apartment complexes I've lived in). Have a dandelion in your front yard when the inspection person randomly drives around the neighborhood looking for nitpicky shit to complain about? You get a fucking writeup telling you to fix it in 10 days or face a fine. Fuuuck you buddy, goddamn, that sort of Karen bullshit really pisses me off and I gave them an ear-full (or I guess an eye-full, since it was over email) about my dissatisfaction with how they handled that whole thing.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I realize we all post on penny-arcade and we see a lot of the dumb shit cops do echoed in these threads, but 99% of interactions with cops are not bad. This isn't a hill I'm going to die on, or source like I'm in D&D, either though.

let's assume that is correct

that 1% of the time somebody ends up dead or their life ruined

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I mean look dude, I'm not trying to get into a whole thing here, but if you're a recent immigrant and English isn't your first language and you've got your whole family here with you, the chances of something going sideways with the police and the implications that can have don't have to involve death to be really scary. I would venture to say, without immediately resorting to data, that your chances of having a good interaction with the police are affected by the color of your skin and the language you speak and the quality of your personal identification.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Anyone throwing that big of a party should have delivered peace offerings prior to the gathering.

Food or a gift card with a number to text prior to getting the police involved.

An Uber Eats digital gift code printed with a phone number is low contact.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I once called the cops on a construction company that was laying slab on a lot across the street at 3:30am, mainly because the "hey I'm backing up" of their cement truck was like 120 decibels, easy.

I'm pretty sure the cops showed up, because around 4:00 the noise stopped and then they started up again at 8:00. Like, I'm sympathetic to those workers, it was the middle of July in Tucson, and it was like a 109 degree day, but I don't give a fuck about that house's slab being poured now vs in November, and there should have been people at some step in the process who said to someone important, "Hey, this is going to make a lot of noise within 50 feet of 8 houses, maybe we shouldn't do this at 3:30 in the morning on a Tuesday?"

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I once called the cops on a construction company that was laying slab on a lot across the street at 3:30am, mainly because the "hey I'm backing up" of their cement truck was like 120 decibels, easy.

I'm pretty sure the cops showed up, because around 4:00 the noise stopped and then they started up again at 8:00. Like, I'm sympathetic to those workers, it was the middle of July in Tucson, and it was like a 109 degree day, but I don't give a fuck about that house's slab being poured now vs in November, and there should have been people at some step in the process who said to someone important, "Hey, this is going to make a lot of noise within 50 feet of 8 houses, maybe we shouldn't do this at 3:30 in the morning on a Tuesday?"

This kind of shit does go a lot more smoothly if you do talk to people before you do it though.

You can build in some bribes into your budget too.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Peen wrote: »

If it's just a one time thing, bite the bullet and move on. Even if it was more than one time but infrequent enough, you can get cheap ear plugs anywhere. I also like sleeping with a fan which can help (vornado ones are great).

If it becomes weekly, then go talk with them first. Only if they give you the middle finger or break what they tell you would I call the cops.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Huh. Here, noise control is a council (civic) thing, and noise control officers are not connected to the police at all. They're more like parking wardens, but for suburbs with teenagers. You call a council number, a council car comes out, checks if the noise level breaches local ordinances/time restrictions, goes to the party and informs them whether they were in breach or not, so they know at least one of their neighbours has been bothered regardless of whether or not they were in violation. It's a nice, polite solution for what is generally not a thing worth bothering cops with.

From memory you needed to be in breach multiple times before stuff (stereos, speakers, cars) started getting confiscated. The warning notice (my friends and I recieved a few in our time) explicitly listed locomotives as an item that could be confiscated. I'm not going to tell you how much effort we expended in attempting to get someone to come and try and take a train away, but rest assured, the fact we never got someone to attempt to impound a deisel-electric from my mates backyard was not for lack of trying on our part.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, HOAs will do jack shit for you AND rat you out as they're typically run by power hungry cowards.
    I've never had a bad experience asking people to turn it down, even the meth dealers partying at 4 AM on a Tuesday.
    "I don't care what you're doing, I just want to sleep" is pretty universally understood

• Options
    So, when your realtor uses O Fortuna as the BGM for your home tour video:

https://youtu.be/3dberhcXoSk

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sweet space ship.

Man stainless steel and white everything looks awful.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Sweet space ship.

It's not my choice in decor, but as you point out it does look like a spaceship which is pretty rad.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Sweet space ship.

It's not my choice in decor, but as you point out it does look like a spaceship which is pretty rad.

It has definite "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't open the garage door" vibes.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sweet space ship.

Yeah. I'd honestly kind of love it if it was just a three-bedroom house that someone renovated to look like that, but the fact that it's a sprawling mansion just poisons everything about it.

Not that I'd ever live anywhere with that much stainless steel, mind you. You'd find me standing with a polishing cloth in the dead center of the house, eyelid twitching, trying to catch a fingerprint spontaneously forming.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Finally got someone out to trim away the damaged limbs from my 110-year-old pecan tree following the October ice storm.

January 2019:
    zracgbowpbkb.png

April 2020:
    ptk0boz3etpi.png

October 2020:
    cu3jc2wy2lys.png

April 2021
    5up1yfu678u2.png

What a useless, senseless toxic waste dump of a year, in just every direction imaginable. I hope that somewhere the year 2020 is a person, and that person is choking on two bottlecaps.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh, that poor old soul.

Well, the larger limbs are intact, so it can probably recover. May not fruit for awhile though.

• Options
    Yeah, the tree guy said it's in overall wonderful health, and that it would take a hell of a lot to prevent it from being back to normal in five to ten years.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So, when your realtor uses O Fortuna as the BGM for your home tour video:

https://youtu.be/3dberhcXoSk

I hate tiled floors in living and sleeping areas. Awful.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    That pecan tree is nearly older than my home nation. I know there’s definitely trees older, but it’s an interesting thing to think about I reckon

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mean I get that everyone here hates it, and I understand why

But I kinda love that house's whole thing

Psykoma on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I don't hate it! I like spaceship aesthetic!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The only major thing I would change is to tear out the carpet in the washroom(s), but that's honestly a pretty easy job

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Hmm... My choice of music for that would probably be something from Ghost in the Shell.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yeah, the tree guy said it's in overall wonderful health, and that it would take a hell of a lot to prevent it from being back to normal in five to ten years.

Ah I'm sorry you had to watch that get cut up, but seeing those pictures of your tree being taken care of instead of cut down made me feel a bit better. We had the oldest Madrone in the state half a block away and it got cut down last year, I still miss seeing it. It had been dead for a while and was a hazard and the wood went to woodworking schools and so on, but nearby neighbors subsequently cut down a gorgeous birch I'd often admired walking by that looked to be in just the prime of it's life. I haven't bumped into them to ask but I'm guessing it was a view thing (sigh). Across the street from them another house cut down a small but also healthy looking pine, and replaced it with a bunch of geraniums. That street looks noticeably barren compared to before, and though there are still a lot of trees around when someone cut a pair of big Douglas Fir down it all made me reflect on how my neighborhood may look in 10-20 years. Poor birds.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i need a media console

i could spend a lot and get a nice one, but why?

how does this look: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fjaellbo-tv-unit-black-90339290/

poo
  • Options

Yeah I totally want the door they used for the gym room for some sort of nerd cave entrance.